Moving From TX to Boston, need info.

Thank you for your service to this great nation of ours. [grin] I really appreciate that.

No one's told you this yet, but before you can apply for any license in Mass., resident or non-resident, you'll need to take a state approved firearms safety course. Military/LEO training or not, it doesn't matter. Anyone who wants a license in MA has to take the safety course. There's quite a few instructors here on this board who can set up the course for you if you need one.

Another thing, in Mass. you'll need a license to even keep a gun in your home, or to buy guns and ammo. There's a "grace period" when you first move to the state, but that should be covered in the "Moving to Mass." threads already posted. Also, as others have said, if you get licensed in Boston, you will not be allowed to carry a gun; they'll issue you a License to Carry, then restrict it so you can't carry. [thinking]

If you do move to MA and get a resident LTC, your local police might try to tell you that you have to "register" all your guns using FA-10's. This isn't true, that form is only used to document transfers, or guns that you obtained from out of state while a MA resident.

Wow. Quite a cultural difference to say the least.... In Austin (a very liberal city, even by non-Texas standards) the Police have no problem signing off on NFA toys & don't give you any hassle for carrying in your car w/o a CCW (their typically more likely to ask "what you carrying"?)

In Texas it's legal to carry in the vehicle without any kind of permit (but I believe it has to be in the glove compartment or something, right?). In MA this is not the case, you actually need a permit to even posess a single empty shell casing, or a can of pepper spray, even in your own home.

Like for real? No buying ammo without a license? Is there anyway around that or to get an endorsement to purchase ammo?

No, there's no endorsement that would let you buy ammo or long guns with a non-res. LTC. You can buy them in border states, though. If I were you, I'd buy in NH or VT before CT or RI because CT & RI have waiting periods, NH & VT don't.

It's also illegal to sell ammo without a license to sell ammunition.

Do a lot of reading in the Mass. gun laws section of the forum so you don't accidentally break the laws, and feel free to ask questions after you've done a lot of reading if you still don't understand.

One more thing...depending on where you'll be in MA and where you might travel to, you should look into getting non-resident LTC's in neighboring states. If you already have licenses you might have some reciprocity, but if you plan to carry, being able to in the other states will be a big help, especially if you have to go there to buy ammo.

We at Remsport Mfg. would also like to help. We are a Manufacture FFL and would be happy to work with you to store your fiearms and large cap magazines for you.
You would be able to ship you firearms to us without a problem even your machine guns and supressors without problem. We can protect these item while you are in MA.
Contact us for more details.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

As a Texan who recently relocated up here, welcome to Massachusetts. I found the information and people on this board to be very helpful in the transition.

I believe that there is also an unwritten rule that when anyone asks, the response is "Yes, we do wear six-shooters and ride horses down in Texas." But you have to practice saying that so it doesn't come across as insincere or sarcastic.

Not sure what school your going to but can you reconsider. NH and Vermont ( Vermont no permits required to ccw) have some good schools. I moved from Arizona quite a few years ago; if I had a do over, I would not have. If your serious about firearms and carrying think twice.

We at Remsport Mfg. would also like to help. We are a Manufacture FFL and would be happy to work with you to store your fiearms and large cap magazines for you.
You would be able to ship you firearms to us without a problem even your machine guns and supressors without problem. We can protect these item while you are in MA.
Contact us for more details.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

That's awesome.

As a Texan who recently relocated up here, welcome to Massachusetts. I found the information and people on this board to be very helpful in the transition.

I believe that there is also an unwritten rule that when anyone asks, the response is "Yes, we do wear six-shooters and ride horses down in Texas." But you have to practice saying that so it doesn't come across as insincere or sarcastic.

People also seem to think that open carry is OK in Texas. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom