Mossberg Loc-Box is now available

It's a key lock though. I would rather see it biometric. If an emergency comes, no key to find or code to remember when your adrenaline is running

They are the best if you like this type of thing. I considered one for a long time, they are the cheapest and best if you want to positively lock and secure the gun. I Don't like the key also but it is a great lock. I went with a combo, keyless trigger lock, still not great, not secured to the wall and still need some kind of light in the dark, but everything is a compromise I guess.

Thank you very much for posting, these things are hard to find in stock!

Last edited:
I bought one a while ago and no one has seen it in my house yet in the 4 years I've had it mounted. They're very easy to hide and conceal and with a little practice you can open them quickly with the key and have access to your shotgun.

It's a great idea....sort of...

Personally I've always believed the only way to keep my guns safe from my children was to teach them all about guns and have a standing offer to handle, shoot etc whenever she wanted to do so. I never kept my guns locked up except when I was out of the house and that was about protecting them from thieves, not my kid.

As it is, I'll be damned if I'll have any mechanism between me and my home defense weapon at 3am when I'm half asleep and the dogs are going crazy at an intruder breaking down a locked door. My own grogginess is enough delay. I don't want any additional locks etc. If a DA thinks a gun which is unlocked and sitting within three feet of me with no non-LTC holders in the house is not sufficiently "under my control," he can prosecute and be damned.

It's a key lock though. I would rather see it biometric. If an emergency comes, no key to find or code to remember when your adrenaline is running

I'd never trust my life to a biometric lock. Too slow, too unreliable.

-Mike

What specifically about them are crap? My shooting buddy is pretty happy with his. By Simplex I'm assuming your referring to electronic keypad?

Simplex locks are mechanical, rather than electronic.

HandgunSafeBoxClosed.jpg

I have the key on my key ring which is always in my pocket and at night I insert the key but do not turn it and my whole key ring hangs from it. It hangs less that 18 inches from my head on a window frame. If my alarm goes off, I reach up, turn the key and away I go in less than 3 seconds. It is not instant but its a hell of a lot safer than going to my closet and fumbling for keys in the dark. I will not leave a key in a gun safe unless it is within arms reach. For me it was a good cheap solution.

What specifically about them are crap? My shooting buddy is pretty happy with his. By Simplex I'm assuming your referring to electronic keypad?

Do a search here, they seem fail, a lot. I just have a tough time relying on anything electric when I comes to a situation were a second counts.

Kevlar beat me to your second point.

The biggest problem with electronic locks is the risk of battery failure at a critical moment.

Personally, I don't find it a big risk, since I change more often than required, and even if I didn't the gun vaults I have emit periodic beeps for quite a while before actually failing to operate. You'd have to ignore an awful lot of beeping (or not be home for an extended time) to get caught with dead batteries.

There's no question though, that Simplex locks are the dead nuts MOST reliable.

Biometrics are bad because of the fail rate. If you don't put your thumb or whatever precisely at the right spot, it won't open. They also take a long time to read your fingerprint, even when they do work properly.

Problem with lockboxes is you're already behind the curve by having to use one.... seconds count. Therefore, why use something that is always going to take longer?

-Mike

I have the key on my key ring which is always in my pocket and at night I insert the key but do not turn it and my whole key ring hangs from it. It hangs less that 18 inches from my head on a window frame. If my alarm goes off, I reach up, turn the key and away I go in less than 3 seconds. It is not instant but its a hell of a lot safer than going to my closet and fumbling for keys in the dark. I will not leave a key in a gun safe unless it is within arms reach. For me it was a good cheap solution.

Leaving the key in the lock is not going to fly in court. At that point you might as well just take the thing out of the box. [laugh] You're still breaking the law, but at least it's faster.

-Mike

Leaving the key in the lock is not going to fly in court. At that point you might as well just take the thing out of the box. [laugh] You're still breaking the law, but at least it's faster.

-Mike

Isn't that debatable? Since the loc-box is inches from my head while I sleep, isn't it considered in my direct control? The MSP officer who taught my LTC class said that you can sleep with your loaded firearm on your nightstand as long as it was withing arms reach it was considered under your control.

-Mike

Can you give me an instance where someone was successfully prosecuted under the storage laws for having an unsecured weapon within three feet of them? Ever?

Isn't that debatable? Since the loc-box is inches from my head while I sleep, isn't it considered in my direct control? The MSP officer who taught my LTC class said that you can sleep with your loaded firearm on your nightstand as long as it was withing arms reach it was considered under your control.

Well, it might be, but let's put it in these terms- How is your lawyer going to argue that a box with the key still in it is a secure container?

Now, I know what you're thinking- "oh, no worries, it'll never get tested". If that's what you think, then why bother with the box? Or at least, why bother closing it? IMHO leaving it open while you sleep is not any more illegal than leaving the key in the lock is.

-Mike

Can you give me an instance where someone was successfully prosecuted under the storage laws for having an unsecured weapon within three feet of them? Ever?

No, I can't, aside from the oft heard incident involving the man who had his guns out and then had a cardiac arrest incident. That said, I'm only talking about what is legal and what is not. Not necessarily what is practical(or smart). By the letter of the law, a lockbox with a key in the lock, by any layperson's estimation, is not anything approaching a secure container. I know lots of folks that keep bedside guns in MA. Obviously not legal, but I won't condemn anyone for it either.... because the law is absurd in this regard.

Let's put it this way... if you ask an MA gun lawyer this question, what do you think he's going to say? He's going to tell you not to leave the key in the lock. Now where's my retainer? [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I use a combo trigger lock on the HD shotgun. It is set to open at 1 digit off...just one click, rotate the lock and it drops free. All of this can be done without even looking at the lock. No keys, no fingerprint scanning....just grab the Mossberg and go (you can drop the lock on the move....I tried it out a few times) - and it is Gozer approved!! [smile]

No, I can't, aside from the oft heard incident involving the man who had his guns out and then had a cardiac arrest incident. That said, I'm only talking about what is legal and what is not. Not necessarily what is practical(or smart). By the letter of the law, a lockbox with a key in the lock, by any layperson's estimation, is not anything approaching a secure container. I know lots of folks that keep bedside guns in MA. Obviously not legal, but I won't condemn anyone for it either.... because the law is absurd in this regard.

Let's put it this way... if you ask an MA gun lawyer this question, what do you think he's going to say? He's going to tell you not to leave the key in the lock. Now where's my retainer? [laugh]

-Mike

So Mike, let me just run through to ensure I understand and ask for a recommendation:
- No biometric because of the failure rate
- No lockboxes (are you saying of any kind?)

What would you recommend using? I've always steered clear of the key ones because I worry the key won't be with me. My other guns are in a 1200 lbs. safe and unloaded, so they aren't an issue. I am just concerned about my primary carry weapon.

So Mike, let me just run through to ensure I understand and ask for a recommendation:
- No biometric because of the failure rate
- No lockboxes (are you saying of any kind?)

Most electronic pushbutton jobs (eg, a gunvault, etc. ) are reliable enough... and a hell of a lot cheaper than something with a biometric pad on it. The simplex boxes have the advantage of never having to mess with batteries. Either is a good choice. There are all kinds of options out there that don't involve holding your finger on a sensor and praying. [laugh]

-Mike

Most electronic pushbutton jobs (eg, a gunvault, etc. ) are reliable enough... and a hell of a lot cheaper than something with a biometric pad on it. The simplex boxes have the advantage of never having to mess with batteries. Either is a good choice. There are all kinds of options out there that don't involve holding your finger on a sensor and praying. [laugh]

-Mike

So far it hasn't been an issue because I've been working from home since I got my permit. I didn't worry so much before because it's just my wife and I in the house. However, after seeing your post in another thread, it seems that having it in my nightstand while I'm asleep isn't kosher. Based on what you and others have said, I think I'll get the simplex. Any particular one folks have found to be better than others without getting rediculous? What is a reasonable price for these? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom