• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More Open Carry Fun

I subscribe you your way of thinking. But at the same time I understand the "reality" and "practicality" vantage points too in that "you're just going to get the local po-po involved here." Does that help anybody? Not really. Maybe the gun grabbers.

I subscribe you your way of thinking. But at the same time I understand the "reality" and "practicality" vantage points too in that "you're just going to get the local po-po involved here." Does that help anybody? Not really. Maybe the gun grabbers.
You should change your avatar

If a person was walking in my neighborhood with a long gun I would be thankful for the police checking the person out. And as it turned out the subject was out looking for a confrontation with law enforcement.
Do you have any idea how many deer there are in Cheshire County????

You should change your avatar

If you're insinuating something go ahead and say it.

I have no objection to anyone carrying a firearm in whatever means or way they feel is appropriate.

Hope that clears the air.

- - - Updated - - -

[laugh]

Here's the final analysis: Others can do only what I think is right, proper, and/or smart.

Of course, picking the "I" is the tough part.

+1 and Chevy is referring to mikem317's "give me liberty or give me death" avatar. It should read "give me liberty if you think that's ok, and please don't kill me if I'm wrong"

Incorrect.

So you have an issue with a person coming out of the woods and walking down the street with a firearm? Really now! Sounds like you are person who has been conditioned by Keene State College. So you are willing to allow the cops to jack someone up and demand ID when no violation of law has occurred? What reason do the cops have to check him out?

Ive been called on because of that very thing here in Mass. Cop asked why I was walking around with the rifle (it was a shotgun) I looked down at my coat and pants which were full camo and asked if he was kidding. He said no lots of people wear camo. I replied with an Orange Vest and Orange Hat? I put my shotgun in the trunk, locked of course and pointed to my hunting license. He just grunted off cause I was not in anyway gonna start answering any questions. Just wanted to be a dickwad and he accomplished just that. Whoever called was a sheep, period.

Sent from the blind

I should freak out everytime I see a "cop" because they are open carrying

Some people think that if you're wearing a government issued uniform then they possess super human skill then folks that are in other professions.

- - - Updated - - -

So you have an issue with a person coming out of the woods and walking down the street with a firearm? Really now! Sounds like you are person who has been conditioned by Keene State College. So you are willing to allow the cops to jack someone up and demand ID when no violation of law has occurred? What reason do the cops have to check him out?

Some people just don't get it.

Some people think that if you're wearing a government issued uniform then they possess super human skill then folks that are in other professions

Im no sharpshooter but all the cops I've met so far can't even hit paper. Yes let's limit the 2nd amend to only apply to cops...

If a person was walking in my neighborhood with a long gun I would be thankful for the police checking the person out. And as it turned out the subject was out looking for a confrontation with law enforcement.

not a good way to start off on NES.

Also glad we don't live in the same neighborhood.

Im no sharpshooter but all the cops I've met so far can't even hit paper. Yes let's limit the 2nd amend to only apply to cops...

Funny. 90% of the cops I've seen shoot are actually decent shots. Many of them are amazing shots.

I don't know where this meme came from, but in my experience it is wrong. Shooting under fire is a lot different than shooting at a range, so I don't think those analogies are fair.

What was the ratio in Iraq? 10,000 rounds per kill or was it more than that? Does that mean soldiers and marines can't shoot also? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkj

Funny. 90% of the cops I've seen shoot are actually decent shots. Many of them are amazing shots.

I don't know where this meme came from, but in my experience it is wrong. Shooting under fire is a lot different than shooting at a range, so I don't think those analogies are fair.

What was the ratio in Iraq? 10,000 rounds per kill or was it more than that? Does that mean soldiers and marines can't shoot also? ;-)

I think it is bc depending on municipality/state the required requalifications are very sparse and overly easy. People assume that means cops can't shoot. Clearly, exempli gratia Watertown, that's an accurate assessment. However, I'm sure there's also plenty of cops who are also gun people.

I think it is bc depending on municipality/state the required requalifications are very sparse and overly easy. People assume that means cops can't shoot. Clearly, exempli gratia Watertown, that's an accurate assessment. However, I'm sure there's also plenty of cops who are also gun people.

Watertown is also another bad example. They were shooting at a boat without a clear target in view. Seems shit lucky that the kid didn't get killed. Those were swat guys I think and I can tell you for a fact that swat can shoot.

Last week a friend of a friend tried out for NEMLEC swat and he got sent packing because he missed ONE shot. That's the story anyway. Those guys don't mess around when it comes to marksmanship.

This may be blasphemy and I hold nothing against the men of our service branches, way bigger balls than me given associated risks, but if a cop is going to carry a gun I would want him to be able to operate the damn thing more accurately than a guy with access to essentially unlimited ammo who can spray them at targets.

If you're talking about "cops you saw at the range on the weekend" or "cops you know" you're talking about a percentage of the LE population that is already way above the average, so your perception of the situation is biased- you're only watching a subset of "cops that are predisposed to not suck."

ETA: On the flipside of the coin, there are a shitload of LEOs out there, that want nothing to do with a firearm other than that its a part of the equation in terms of them getting their paycheck.

-Mike

Last edited:
Watertown is also another bad example. They were shooting at a boat without a clear target in view. Seems shit lucky that the kid didn't get killed. Those were swat guys I think and I can tell you for a fact that swat can shoot.

He didn't get killed because they were using rubber bullets or some shit like that, IIRC.

It's a bad example? Cops shoot one of their own guys a few nights before, and leave bullet holes all around the neighborhood... without shooting either one of the bad guys. Oh yeah, it's a terrible example. [rofl]

ETA: My guess is I fell for your trolling attempt..... my bad.

-Mike

Well I guess I am going to "out myself" here on NES. I agree with Dadstoys and M1911 on this one.

What it really boils down to is, just like the guy in the video, you have the right to be an idiot. The KKK has the right to protest and assemble in front of the White House. They are idiots for doing so, but it is their right.

You have the right to drive your car with your feet too. You are an idiot if you do, but it is your right.

The Westboro Baptist Church has the right to protest at a soldier's funeral, but they are idiots and I dare say azzholes for doing so.

So yes, if open carrying a handgun in a holster is not enough of a political statement for you, you can parade around near the mall with an AR slung over your back. It is your right... but you are an idiot if you do...and you have about a 50/50 chance of getting blown away by Officer Hernandez who will undoubtedly have her finger on the trigger if her 870.

So... all of the internet patriots here that think they are doing the 2nd Amendment a favor, I dare you to try it. You don't have to do it in Mass, How about Burlington or Nashua? You can be a 2A hero too. Please record it and post it to youtube. I love these vids.

This.

Could it been handled better by the police and the person or persons who called the police yes. If someone was walking around my house, kids school or such I would just keep a eye on him.

I've OCd a handgun probably a dozen times. Typically it was at some political event and I wanted to make a political statement.

I don't see the point in OCing long guns except in places that prohibit OC of handguns, but allow long guns. Like in TX.

But even then, because carrying a long gun is such a hassle it seems that the only ones that do it, are losers who want the LE attention.

Also, many of those asshats seem to be carrying their ARs or AKs at low ready, which to me is brandishing. Imagine if someone carrying a handgun walked around a 2A protest with the firearm at low ready. Nuts.

To me, legal OC has several very practical benefits. It allows me to carry like I am today. With a G19 in a fairly large Safariland ALS retention holster, on my belt, with only a T shirt over it. So far this morning, I've been into Stop and Shop and Walmart in Old Saybrook, CT and nobody has even noticed. Its a very comfortable way to carry. When I drive, I slide the holster to 9 o'clock and when I get out, I slide it back to 7 o'clock.

Another benefit is that when duck or deer hunting, I'll occasionally come out of the woods a fair distance from my car. I just sling the rifle or shotgun over my back and walk on the side of the road. I've never had any trouble when walking this way. In fact, I've had several very nice conversations from motorists who were hunters who wanted to know how I did or even offered me a ride back to my car. Which I once took advantage of when I was carrying a bag of decoys and 2 fat Canadas while walking my dog on a leash.

So while I respect some of the more flamboyant OCers. I really don't want them to ruin it for some of us who use the practical benefits of legal OC semi-regularly.

The problem is the presumption that your current circumstance represents what everyone faces. This is the base presumption of progressive city inmates and they completely fail to even entertain the possibility of living outside their cell.

The reason, of course, is that they don't believe you should be allowed to live outside your cell and fully intend on preventing you from doing so at their earliest political opportunity, but they won't say that out loud.... Yet.

Open carry in densely populated areas full of strangers is an entirely different proposition than more sparsely populated areas from the standpoint of concern for bad people taking advantage of said density. Just as they do with your wallet and phone.

The problem is:

1. Progressive idiots are lying saying they are just trying to be "reasonable" about this difference and using it for a pretext to write incrementally enslaving laws.
2. People move from situation A to situation B throughout the day without easy ability to change their carry (it is contrary to public safety to have people handling their guns at every threshold of legal requirement - see ND)
3. Progressive idiots, even where they aren't lying utterly fail to consider that not everyone lives in a cage, so perhaps one sweeping law doesn't make sense.
4. At this point, we need to undo the forced ignorance and distance from firearms that progressives have accomplished. We need to reintroduce the concepts of being armed, free, presumed innocent and the presumption of trust (but verify) of strangers.

So here we are...

Cekim,

That's partly why all of my new friends in MA knows that I am usually armed. I don't hide it. I make every effort to normalize it. I've taken a half dozen of my neighbors (many very left wing "professorial class" folks to the range.

The funny thing is that their response to firearms owners is not very different from my own bigoted grandfather's response to blacks.

Oh Don, you are so responsible. We're not talking about you. You are one of the good ones.

My grandfather: You know Bill, my black friend? Its ok, he's one of the good ones.

Its also funny that when a level 3 sex offender, fresh out of jail for raping a 9 year old girl moved into our neighborhood, several stay-at-home moms asked if I could do a neighborhood LTC class.

Don

p.s. I've pissed off some people on this site with my attitudes about carry guns and alcohol. (they don't mix well, even a little) So some of you may not like this, but its not abnormal when an informal cookout turns to drinking fun, for me to excuse myself so I can go put my firearm in my safe. Its now actually a running joke that I go into the house and stow the firearm before I start drinking.

Bigotry is bigotry... Even when it involves alcohol and guns [wink]

This is why I am so adamant about restriction of power is that government reflects this character flaw in humanity. Our strength and weakness is that we are quick to evaluate risks based on the sum of our past experience.

It is a strength in that it allows us to respond with complex and effective solutions to threats.

It is a weakness in that it causes us to be bigoted against people form anecdotes, personal or shared that paint anyone you don't know personally with broad brushes.

Brushes like criminality based on race or irresponsibility based on alcohol. [wink] (again)

Back
Top Bottom