• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

more Coyotes vs. dogs

Dog found killed by coyotes in Agawam

"AGAWAM, MA (WGGB/WSHM) - An Agawam family and their neighbors are still in shock tonight after their dog 'Buddy' was killed by coyotes in the woods behind a house."

Coyote attacks dog in Northfield

"A surveillance camera at the home of Barnaby and Vicky Dinges in Northfield captured what appears to be a coyote attacking their dog Boozer, a Cairn terrier on Dec. 13, 2017."

Last summer, had a family behind me walk out to their mailbox at dusk with their little dog. Yote must have been eyeballing the pattern. It scooped up the dog and took off back into the woods with the dog shrieking the like a banshee.The whole family chrged into the woods after them. We heard the yelling and jumped in from the back. There was so much commotion the coyote either dropped the dog or it struggled free, and we got him back.
Injuries were fatal though.
For the dog the next day.
It took a week for the coyote to succumb

Coyotes also need to eat.

Not all of them

SwV5n.jpg

Animal control officer says, "If you see a coyote nearby, don't be afraid to stand your ground, either with loud noises, bright lights, or water from a hose."

I always thought the barrel on my .458 socom looks a bit like a garden hose. Thank you, dog catcher, for a wonderful idea. Lol...

Coyotes would not be such a "problem" if wolves had not been killed off. The "yotes" are simply filling the gap, and taking advantage of feeding opps provided by humans and their pets.

Dogs are just like little children, they should never be left alone outside. Even though I have plenty of land I always keep a close eye on my dog. Whenever I take my dog outside he is under my direct control. Last year my dog was attacked by a much larger dog. And because he was with me I was able to prevent the larger dog from killing him. I had to pepper spray the dog to get him to back off, but I would have done whatever I had to. If he was in my yard alone he'd be dead. I see far too many dogs walking unsupervised. Responsible pet owners must protect their animals as well as people too.

Animal control officer says, "If you see a coyote nearby, don't be afraid to stand your ground, either with loud noises, bright lights, or water from a hose."

I always thought the barrel on my .458 socom looks a bit like a garden hose. Thank you, dog catcher, for a wonderful idea. Lol...

Well, if it doesn't look enough like a garden hose you have the loud noise thing covered....

I've scared many coyotes to death with loud noises from my .243 Savage Bolt action.
I've also killed them with the bow, but it must not be the loud noise, cause the bow's pretty quiet....still trying to figure that one out. : -)

Neighbors concerned after coyote kills small dog in Westfield

"WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Just before it got dark last Sunday night, Anne Fox let her three Pomeranians out into the fenced-in pool area of her backyard on Rachael Terrace in Westfield.

A coyote approached from the woods and snatched one of her dogs, Trixie, pulling her through the fence and dragging her into a ravine. Anne Fox said it happened so fast."

I had a deer hide dissappear in 3 hours from inside my 8' chainlink fence in westfield. My dog was trying her best to get the head through the doggie door into my bed.

Anyway, i killed 1 coyote in westfield 12:30 in the afternoon, so small, sickly and dry..like it was dead before i killed it.i wouldn't even touch it.

Other than than that one, they are large in number and size.. the tracks are unbelievable large and they pack down a hell of a trail when traveling togther and one time by myself i was even scared.

Definitely larger and smarter than down south.

I think i was reading its legal to hunt coyote in MA with dogs...i could be wrong.. but with the right kind and number of dogs that would be a good time...with the right dogs they do it by themselves, so im not sure if its hunting at that point

one time by myself i was even scared.

In NH one deer season, it was dark and I had unloaded my rifle while I waited for the other guys to show up at the truck. The coyote were running in a pack and were getting closer to me. I got in the truck, rolled down a window and loaded the rifle as I caught a glimpse of yellow eyes in the treeline. That's not fear, it's respect.

Neighbors concerned after coyote kills small dog in Westfield

"WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Just before it got dark last Sunday night, Anne Fox let her three Pomeranians out into the fenced-in pool area of her backyard on Rachael Terrace in Westfield.

A coyote approached from the woods and snatched one of her dogs, Trixie, pulling her through the fence and dragging her into a ravine. Anne Fox said it happened so fast."

Pomeranians must look like a one of those fluffed up marshmallow Hostess Snowball snacks to a Coyote.........

I had a deer hide dissappear in 3 hours from inside my 8' chainlink fence in westfield. My dog was trying her best to get the head through the doggie door into my bed.

Anyway, i killed 1 coyote in westfield 12:30 in the afternoon, so small, sickly and dry..like it was dead before i killed it.i wouldn't even touch it.

Other than than that one, they are large in number and size.. the tracks are unbelievable large and they pack down a hell of a trail when traveling togther and one time by myself i was even scared.

Definitely larger and smarter than down south.

I think i was reading its legal to hunt coyote in MA with dogs...i could be wrong.. but with the right kind and number of dogs that would be a good time...with the right dogs they do it by themselves, so im not sure if its hunting at that point

I still believe it is legal to hunt coyotes with dogs around here...there are a few guys out by me that used to do it and cleaned house on them regularly. It was most effective. Most of them use a hound type dog, blue tick, redbone, something like that.

I still believe it is legal to hunt coyotes with dogs around here...there are a few guys out by me that used to do it and cleaned house on them regularly. It was most effective. Most of them use a hound type dog, blue tick, redbone, something like that.
Yes, the use of dogs for hunting coyote is permissible.

I hear them occasionally but they've been a little quiet this winter. Just this last fall, my 20 year old was trail running about a mile from the house. Earbuds in, of course. He said the hair on the back of his neck stood up and he looked rearward to see 4 large coyotes running right behind him. He yelled and waved his arms at them, so they jumped a little and then ran around him and kept going in the same direction. After that no earbuds on the trails and he carries some pepper spray.

Coyotes would not be such a "problem" if wolves had not been killed off. The "yotes" are simply filling the gap, and taking advantage of feeding opps provided by humans and their pets.

it's more than that...it's all the liberal idiot wildlife mis-management in this state. Prey populations are out of control so now predator populations are. My neighborhood is overrun with everything from squirrels to rabbits to turkeys to coyotes.

Deer season in MA should be the full month of November and allow rifles. A 2 week shotgun season is f***ing retarded, even with the extended muzzleloader season.

My neighbor's cat was eaten by a yote literally on my front steps one night. My wife was sleeping on the couch and called and woke me up. She said she heard all this crazy noise and looked out the window and saw a coyote coming down our walkway and then she got scared (lol women) and ran back to the couch and hear a bunch more noise including cat screatching and barking/yipping/howling.

Next morning I went out to go to work and there were clumps of gray fur all over the place, same color as my neighbors cat that I haven't seen since.

it's more than that...it's ...

Except for bear, the apex predator, wolves, are gone. That leaves a gap. Humans caused the problem. They feed the problem. They then propose more problematic solutions to the problems that were created by themselves. For generations it has been this way, and will likely continue until the 2nd coming of Himself.

Of course, I am biased toward the well being of animals, although several species are tasty, especially when there are so many ..... running around on the loose.

Yotes should be shot on sight.

I know a guy that was pretty successful harvesting the vermin in an ingenious way that he said an old timer in Maine taught. He set up a big ole bowl of dog food in front of cheap photo eye's connected to a chime. Like the kind you hear when you walk into a retail store.
Then he sat down to watch tv. When the chime sounded, he walked to his upstairs bathroom to his waiting 22-250. One hand on the rested rifle, the other on the switch to a drop light mounted on a tree branch.

Except for bear, the apex predator, wolves, are gone. That leaves a gap. Humans caused the problem. They feed the problem. They then propose more problematic solutions to the problems that were created by themselves. For generations it has been this way, and will likely continue until the 2nd coming of Himself.

Of course, I am biased toward the well being of animals, although several species are tasty, especially when there are so many ..... running around on the loose.
Before humans other species caused problems. Yotes kill things we enjoy, they are vermin, I kill everyone I see. If that means the deer population goes up, well then we kill more deer.

Deer season in MA should be the full month of November and allow rifles. A 2 week shotgun season is f***ing retarded, even with the extended muzzleloader season...

That's not it. It looks to me like 6 months. Rifles are only not permitted during deer season or at night. You can use rifles the rest of the year, but only .22 at night. I think THAT is retarded. Well, for that matter, I think they ought to allow rifles maybe from Route 190/290/395 and West for deer. I also think they should allow more rifles at night, maybe up to .224 caliber, and less than a certain amount of powder capacity if it is a noise issue.

Here's what the state says:

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/01/12/MassWildlife-hunting-fishing-seasons-2018.pdf
HUNTING SEASONS & BAG LIMITS
FURBEARERS
Coyote
Zones 1–14
Jan. 1 – Mar. 8, Oct. 13 – Mar. 8, 2019

Hunting Coyote in Massachusetts
Required licenses and permits
To hunt coyote in Massachusetts you must have certain licenses and permits, which you can buy through MassFishHunt.

Massachusetts residents:

• Hunting or sporting license
  • No additional permits
Non-residents:

• Small game or big game license
  • No additional permits
Bag limits
None

Hunting zones
All wildlife management zones

Hunting implements
Shotguns: Only shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). Slugs, single balls and buckshot may only be used during the shotgun deer season.

Archery equipment: Archery tackle is legal, with no minimum pull. Crossbows may be used by certain permanently disabled persons by permit only. Poisoned arrows, explosive tips, bows drawn by mechanical means are prohibited.

Rifles and handguns:

-Daytime hunting: During the period from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset, there are no restrictions on size or caliber of rifles or handguns.

-Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.

-Prohibited on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons.

-Prohibited during the shotgun deer season.

Muzzleloader: Smooth bore muzzleloaders: Only shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). Slugs, single balls, and buckshot may only be used during the shotgun deer season. Rifled bore muzzleloaders: no restrictions on caliber size.

Hunting methods
Legal methods:

• Dogs (Prohibited during the shotgun deer season)
  • Electronic calls (Prohibited during the shotgun deer season)
  • Manual calls (Prohibited during the shotgun deer season)
  • Decoys
  • Bait
Illegal methods:

• Artificial light
Shotgun deer season special restrictions
  • Hunting hours are half hour before sunrise - half hour after sunset.
  • You must wear 500 square inches of hunter orange on your head, chest, and back.
  • Rifles and handguns are prohibited.
  • Dogs, electronic, and manual calls are prohibited.

Yotes should be shot on sight.

I know a guy that was pretty successful harvesting the vermin in an ingenious way that he said an old timer in Maine taught. He set up a big ole bowl of dog food in front of cheap photo eye's connected to a chime. Like the kind you hear when you walk into a retail store.
Then he sat down to watch tv. When the chime sounded, he walked to his upstairs bathroom to his waiting 22-250. One hand on the rested rifle, the other on the switch to a drop light mounted on a tree branch.

I had a setup like that, but it was more Mickey Mouse. I had a spare motion detector spotlight with a plug adapter. When it had a motion, the plug went to an extension cord which was on a radio in the kitchen. I think it worked a couple times, but the radio was too loud and spooked them. Also, having the cord go through the window either let cold or mosquitoes in.

I was specifically talking about deer season.

They're wildly overpopulated, especially in the eastern part of the state, and a 2 week shotgun season isn't getting it done.

Back
Top Bottom