• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Locating Coyotes

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you predator hunters out there verbally locate your coyotes before hunting them? If so, do you just howl with an E-Call or is there a different method? I was thinking of heading out Monday night and finding some for Tuesday morning.

If not, do you just do your stands where you’ve found sign / seen them on your game camera? I have a couple spots with a good amount of dog prints and have a big one on a camera, but i was wondering if it’d be advantageous to locate them through howling.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 72980491023__D6C4EFEE-5A7F-4414-9AD9-96DA0D0047A9.jpeg
    72980491023__D6C4EFEE-5A7F-4414-9AD9-96DA0D0047A9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
my Maine perspective- if we can get the e-call to penetrate the woods, the coyotes will work their way in towards the unit. We’ve had them come in on a bee-line and other times it might take half an hour. Have never been able to get one to come back after he caught our wind, so set up accordingly.

In the Midwest we would hunt on top of cows that just birthed. The “blanket” or whatever came out with the calves was like cocaine for predators. I think this was largely due to the coyotes thinking the calf might still be around

They are boxed in where I'm at. They howl at nite and will come out in the day. Not afraid of people.
I called 3 different towns, none will do anything.
Too many shitheads around that would call cops if they heard a shot, so since I was stupid and called, and they found a dead one I'd get a visit for sure.
Not sure the total number, but I counted 6 the last time on the trail cam. Lots of rabbit and woodchuck around here.

I'm surrounded by coyotes, I have 4- 6 daily. They travel in a pack , in pairs . Catch them on game cam daily at the exact same times almost.
They love to urinate on everything. Some squat and others life their leg. One ran up to me in the hot tub and I scared the shit out of him

They are boxed in where I'm at. They howl at nite and will come out in the day. Not afraid of people.
I called 3 different towns, none will do anything.
Too many shitheads around that would call cops if they heard a shot, so since I was stupid and called, and they found a dead one I'd get a visit for sure.
Not sure the total number, but I counted 6 the last time on the trail cam. Lots of rabbit and woodchuck around here.
Why would someone just find a dead one?

I'll just leave this here:

It is unlawful for any person while hunting or trapping in accordance with 321 CMR 3.02 to waste an animal.
“Waste” means to intentionally or knowingly leave a wounded or dead animal in the field or the forest without making a reasonable effort to retrieve and use it.

Why would someone just find a dead one?

I'll just leave this here:

It is unlawful for any person while hunting or trapping in accordance with 321 CMR 3.02 to waste an animal.
“Waste” means to intentionally or knowingly leave a wounded or dead animal in the field or the forest without making a reasonable effort to retrieve and use it.
If 'someone' shot it, didn't kill it, and it ran away and bled out somewhere else. I guess his buddies would eat him too.

If 'someone' shot it, didn't kill it, and it ran away and bled out somewhere else. I guess his buddies would eat him too.
Uh huh. Does that happen with alot the game animals you shoot at?

I live about a mile from Bridgewater center. This time of year, before the trees are covered in foliage, the sound carries pretty far. When the commuter rail runs through Bridgewater it blows it's horn repeatedly and the coyote howl back at the train.
I can't hear it in the house with the windows closed, but when you are outside, every 15 minutes when the train goes through town, you can hear them loud and clear. You can tell how many pups were born by the number howling back.

Back
Top Bottom