• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

more Coyotes vs. dogs

Just to be clear if im killing off the population(yotes) on my own property do to damage they cause me, that's not hunting its an extermination and i could use whatever implement i want .223, .308 whatever.... any time of day or night correct?

Theres noone around to complain anyhow, that was my reading of it

Yotes should be shot on sight.

I know a guy that was pretty successful harvesting the vermin in an ingenious way that he said an old timer in Maine taught. He set up a big ole bowl of dog food in front of cheap photo eye's connected to a chime. Like the kind you hear when you walk into a retail store.
Then he sat down to watch tv. When the chime sounded, he walked to his upstairs bathroom to his waiting 22-250. One hand on the rested rifle, the other on the switch to a drop light mounted on a tree branch.

I had a similar system for hunting mice in my shithole house in college. I saw them coming out from under the stove once so I left food in the middle of the kitchen floor and laid a sheet of aluminum foil out in front of the stove. It was a clear shot from the couch in the living room so I'd watch TV with the pellet gun ready to go. You could hear those tiny feet on the foil a mile away.

Just to be clear if im killing off the population(yotes) on my own property do to damage they cause me, that's not hunting its an extermination and i could use whatever implement i want .223, .308 whatever.... any time of day or night correct?

Theres noone around to complain anyhow, that was my reading of it

No poison, no snares, no traps outside of trapping season (unless permitted by the director).

Section 37

Section 37. An owner or tenant of land or, if authorized by such owner or tenant, any member of his immediate family or his employee, as defined pursuant to section one of chapter sixty-two B, may, upon such land:

(1) kill or attempt to kill, by means other than poisoning or trapping, any wild bird damaging his property, including domesticated animals, poultry and game on game-rearing farms or preserves, provided that such killing is not contrary to any federal law, rule or regulation.

(2) hunt or take by other means, except by poison or snare, any mammal which he finds damaging his property except grass growing on uncultivated land. No such owner or tenant shall authorize any person, other than a member of his immediate family or a person permanently employed by him, to place traps for the protection of said property other than during the open season, unless such owner or tenant has first obtained from the director a permit authorizing him so to do, which permit the director is hereby authorized to issue in his discretion, unless such authorized person holds a trapping license. All deer so killed shall be turned over to any environmental police officer and shall be disposed of by the director of law enforcement.

The following written reports shall be sent to the director by such owner or tenant acting under authority of this section:?(a) upon the taking of pheasant, ruffed grouse, hares or rabbits, or the wounding or killing of a deer, a report stating the time and place, kind and number of birds or mammals so taken, wounded or killed, within twenty-four hours of such taking, wounding or killing; (b) upon the taking of any other birds or mammals, a report on or before January thirty-first of each year, stating the number and kinds of birds or mammals taken under authority of this section during the previous year. This section shall not be construed to limit any other provisions of this chapter.

I was specifically talking about deer season.

They're wildly overpopulated, especially in the eastern part of the state, and a 2 week shotgun season isn't getting it done.

Depends where you live....we rarely see a deer around here, and there is tons of woods (North Central MA). But we have plenty of hunters and no bullshit.

It has nothing to do with a 2 week shotgun season.....and where the hell in eastern MA are you going to shoot a rifle when all the towns are closed to any type of firearm discharge with exception of public ranges.

It's got everything to do with anti hunters, no shooting town ordinances, towns closed to hunting, etc. The people/towns create their own problems in the east by not letting wildlife be managed because they are a**h***s. Simple as that. Well, they should live with the consequences...which is beavers overflowing streets and septics, coyotes eating kittens and dogs, and deer hitting their Mercedes, giving them Lyme disease and eating the 500 dollar shrub they just planted.

At the very least, if the land is not condusive to gun hunting due to setbacks, it has to be bowhunted to at least manage the population. Even our state doesn't get this as the setbacks are too far to allow for proper management. 300 feet or whatever is way too far.

If serious, all towns in the east would have pro bowhunting programs to manage the deer problem there. But the majority that live there are liberal and stupid.

Last edited:
No poison, no snares, no traps outside of trapping season (unless permitted by the director).

Section 37

Section 37. An owner or tenant of land or, if authorized by such owner or tenant, any member of his immediate family or his employee, as defined pursuant to section one of chapter sixty-two B, may, upon such land:

(1) kill or attempt to kill, by means other than poisoning or trapping, any wild bird damaging his property, including domesticated animals, poultry and game on game-rearing farms or preserves, provided that such killing is not contrary to any federal law, rule or regulation.

(2) hunt or take by other means, except by poison or snare, any mammal which he finds damaging his property except grass growing on uncultivated land. No such owner or tenant shall authorize any person, other than a member of his immediate family or a person permanently employed by him, to place traps for the protection of said property other than during the open season, unless such owner or tenant has first obtained from the director a permit authorizing him so to do, which permit the director is hereby authorized to issue in his discretion, unless such authorized person holds a trapping license. All deer so killed shall be turned over to any environmental police officer and shall be disposed of by the director of law enforcement.

The following written reports shall be sent to the director by such owner or tenant acting under authority of this section:?(a) upon the taking of pheasant, ruffed grouse, hares or rabbits, or the wounding or killing of a deer, a report stating the time and place, kind and number of birds or mammals so taken, wounded or killed, within twenty-four hours of such taking, wounding or killing; (b) upon the taking of any other birds or mammals, a report on or before January thirty-first of each year, stating the number and kinds of birds or mammals taken under authority of this section during the previous year. This section shall not be construed to limit any other provisions of this chapter.

Thank you, ive read it before but want some else tell me its ok..
Thats as close to a reasonable law that exists in the Commonwealth.

I was going to raise a couple hundred pheasant, amung other things, and it doesnt make much sense to start till i atleast make it known that you may get some pheasant or you may get shot... i just want to avoid a total kill off and failure..
It'll be a strong coup and hot wire, but remote enough that there could be a massacre

Edit, that even sounds to me like I could machine gun those dogs.
Theres a pretty strong Enviomental police and regular police presence for the last serveral years on the land i bought.which has contributed to a huge decrease in the amount of people out there. Im going to post it and make friends with the Police. I never cared for them hassling people out there before but now its alittle different and think they did a great job.
There's going to be several upset hunters who have been hunt there for dacades who wont be this year. Now i see more horse riders and hikers out there now then ATVs.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Green_Manelishi, post: 5765508, member: 969" For generations Since time began it has been this way, and will likely continue until the 2nd coming of Himself.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, therefore not worth worrying about.

How big do you think this friendly coywolf is?
RdyYgDi.jpg

It has nothing to do with a 2 week shotgun season.....and where the hell in eastern MA are you going to shoot a rifle when all the towns are closed to any type of firearm discharge with exception of public ranges.

Not sure what you are getting at with this. What does town ordnances against firearm discharge have to do with hunting? It's two separate activities.
ETA: I think I misunderstood what you meant. You are saying that every town on this side of the state prohibits firearms discharge even for the purpose of hunting, right? If so, that is incorrect. I don't know how many towns prohibit all firearms discharge including hunting but there are plenty that do allow it.

Last edited:
I have a game camera video of a large male coywolf/coyote.

It is the size of a adult German Shepard, and my estimate is that it weighs between 60-70 pounds.

Has a fuller face than the others, and is more stocky.

Most of the animals I see are smaller than that.

Buddy? Trixie?
It's never "Bruiser the Rottweiler" that gets taken by coyotes. It's normally "Killer dog mauls 3 local wildlife" [laugh]
I think it's as much an owner problem as a breed problem. People who buy a goldendoodle for the kids and name it bailey are going to assume life is good and they'll let it run free off-lead like it's a hallmark movie and everything will be well.
People who have lost animals to yotes before realize that coyotes can and will take down a medium sized dog, and even try a large dog if they are desperate. It always seems that people who buy toy or non-working group dogs are naive about coyotes. They also tend to name them cutesy names.

Anecdote:
I've never taken a coyote, but I should. I have a huge hunting area behind my house and could almost pop them from the back porch while grillin'.
But me not hunting is a different story.
Anyways, when I was much much younger, my parents were walking both Akitas (had two at the time) and two coyotes tried to lure the akitas into the woods in our front yard. They were incredibly thin and malnourished, so I guess they were desperate enough to take on two fully grown healthy, 110, 120lb akitas. Even with the whole pack I don't think it would have been a fair fight.
Also, I don't have cats anymore. I did when I was a toddler, but I wasn't old enough to remember that one day we suddenly never had a cat anymore.

I don't know how many towns prohibit all firearms discharge including hunting but there are plenty that do allow it.

Here's a decent breakdown of Hunting Restrictions In Some Massachusetts Communities

Restricted Hunting Towns

NO FIREARMS DISCHARGE:
Arlington
Chelsea
Medfield
Stoneham
Ashland
E Longmeadow *
Medford
Tewksbury
Avon
Lawrence
Melrose
Wakefield
Bedford*
Lexington
Newton
Wilmington
Belmont
Longmeadow *
N Reading
Winchester
Boston
Lowell
Randolph
Winthrop
Braintree
Lynn
Salem
Woburn
Burlington
Lynnfield
Somerset

1x1.gif
Canton
Malden
Somerville

Owner and dog attacked by coyotes while out for walk

MILTON, Mass. - A man and his dog were attacked by a pack of four coyotes in Milton on Saturday afternoon.

The owner, Gary Maher, says they were walking along the Granite Links Golf Course on the Milton/Quincy line when they encountered the pack of coyotes.

"I just saw them pop up and I thought they'd just keep going like they normally do," said Maher. "The bigger of the four of them came towards me and then they started circling me and then I knew I was in it."

Maher tried yelling at the coyotes in an effort to scare them away, but then they attacked him and his dog, Matilda.

Coyotes Kill Family Dog In Natick

NATICK (CBS) – A Natick family has a warning for neighbors after their dog was killed by coyotes.

“Jack” the Cairn terrier cautiously led us out to the Terrace Road backyard to the spot where his brother “Gooner” was ambushed by a pair of coyotes Tuesday morning.

“I was scared, I was petrified,” said 14-year-old Carter Warner. “It was not something I liked watching.”

Carter, who always took the dogs out before school, was able to grab Jack, but could do nothing for Gooner as the big, snarling coyotes ripped into him.

==============

Cultural Carrying Capacity* is about to be exceeded.

*The cultural carrying capacity is the maximum number of individuals of a species that the human population will tolerate.

Last edited:
Cultural Carrying Capacity* is about to be exceeded.

*The cultural carrying capacity is the maximum number of individuals of a species that the human population will tolerate.

Nah, the more people push back against yotes, the louder peta screams, the more misinformation the spew, and the more moderate people join their cause. The pendulum keeps swinging. They'll just say coyote hunters are sickos who get aroused from maiming them.
There's nothing here that can't be protected from coyotes. It's not like pigs with crops down south, here it's kids and small dogs. Fence the yard in, don't let fluffy off lead, and watch the dog in the yard. Most of the animals fall victim to their owners naiveté and negligence.
That's going to really keep a full on open season on coyotes from happening, especially here. Which is probably a good thing, you don't want to hunt anything to extinction.

Which is probably a good thing, you don't want to hunt anything to extinction.

Rest assured, there is no danger of us hunting coyotes to extinction by any sport hunting method or means. They are waaayyy better at the whole hunter/hunted thing than we are.

Besides which, the experts tell us the more you coyotes kill, the more of them there are.

Rest assured, there is no danger of us hunting coyotes to extinction by any sport hunting method or means. They are waaayyy better at the whole hunter/hunted thing than we are.

Besides which, the experts tell us the more you coyotes kill, the more of them there are.

How does that work? The animal has a bigger litter when there's more access to food and prey?

Here's a decent breakdown of Hunting Restrictions In Some Massachusetts Communities

Restricted Hunting Towns

NO FIREARMS DISCHARGE:
Arlington
Chelsea
Medfield
Stoneham
Ashland
E Longmeadow *
Medford
Tewksbury
Avon
Lawrence
Melrose
Wakefield
Bedford*
Lexington
Newton
Wilmington
Belmont
Longmeadow *
N Reading
Winchester
Boston
Lowell
Randolph
Winthrop
Braintree
Lynn
Salem
Woburn
Burlington
Lynnfield
Somerset

1x1.gif
Canton
Malden
Somerville

Someone with some time should make a map of this. Then overlay it with the buffer from houses or roads, and see what's left.

Back
Top Bottom