more Coyotes vs. dogs

You would think that dog owners would learn....little dogs make tasty little treats...you unfortunately cannot let them roam free.
Tell all the coyotes there are lots of rat dogs in Boston. Chow time!

If you have a larger dog they have to behave. If you have a dog the size of a mop apparently you can allow it to be the noisiest, orneriest critter on the planet, as long as you drag it around on a leash.

Dude is a total lefty.

Ethics, safety, and fair chase hunting demands people should not be able to bait coyotes and engage in “recreational” hunting from their easy chair next to their window-
On this blog we have often talked about the disproportionate favoritism that hunters generally receive over other users of wildlife. Well, recently one of my radio-collared eastern coyotes/coywolves (a 41 pound adult female) was shot and killed on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Suffice it to say, evidence pointed toward her getting shot on a bait pile within about 100 feet of a house. And it seemed pretty clear that she was shot from within a house. Naturally, I was furious and frustrated by this event having radio-tracked her for four years. However, what amazed me most was when I did some digging (with the help of others), I found that two laws actually allow this type of unethical hunting practice. They are

Northeastern coywolves. Copyright Jon Way

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 269 SECTION 12E, and Chapter 131 SECTION 58 – I detail those below. Because baiting of these animals is legal (Massachusetts Hunting Abstracts) in Massachusetts and night hunting is legal, that means that someone can bait these animals in at night and shoot them from an open window within their house. Believe it or not, I am learning that this is not all uncommon and probably results in over half of the coywolves shot in Massachusetts every year [shocked]. The only requirements are that: (1) the person has a $30 hunting license (no tag required to shoot them), (2) the person lives in a rural area where they are at least 500 feet from another house – 500 feet is not that far by the way, (3) or they live within 500 feet of a house but the neighbor(s) allows such activity.

In my opinion, this is a perfect example of how and why hunting laws are antiquated and not within favor of the vast majority of the public, let alone most of the hunting community that probably wouldn’t think this is fair chase or ethical. So, when we read about snaring of bears in Alaska, it is important to recognize that there are lax (for lack of a better word) game laws throughout the country. Hopefully a new and revitalized wildlife management agency, eventually with input from non-consumptive users (e.g., scientists, wildlife watchers) will change these laws to make such practices illegal.

Yes he is...

This is last night 1:30 am, near a golf course in Quincy. Ran along side my car for a few seconds, then broke towards the woods. lots of small dogs up this way.

Attachments

• 20180203_010408.jpg
    20180203_010408.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 60
1 coyote captured and killed in Yonkers, 2nd at large

"A Westchester County police officer was bit by a coyote in an unsettling, 24-hour series of coyote attacks that spanned two, possibly three, Westchester communities.

One coyote was finally captured and killed in Dunwoodie Golf Course in Yonkers, Westchester County Police said. It's being sent to Albany to be tested for rabies.

A second one remains at large, Yonkers police said.

"Please secure small children and animals," Yonkers police said in a statement. "Do not approach the animal or attempt to capture the same. These coyotes are aggressive and responsible for multiple attacks in the area.""

Possibly rabid coyote attacking people, terrorizing towns

This is last night 1:30 am, near a golf course in Quincy. Ran along side my car for a few seconds, then broke towards the woods. lots of small dogs up this way.

All I see is trees. There is a tiny blob in the middle/right, but that could also be trees.

Sorry for pic clarity, he was running up the street and cut off into the trees, before I could snap a pic. he's there, amongst the trees.

Dogs are just like little children, they should never be left alone outside. Even though I have plenty of land I always keep a close eye on my dog. Whenever I take my dog outside he is under my direct control. Last year my dog was attacked by a much larger dog. And because he was with me I was able to prevent the larger dog from killing him. I had to pepper spray the dog to get him to back off, but I would have done whatever I had to. If he was in my yard alone he'd be dead. I see far too many dogs walking unsupervised. Responsible pet owners must protect their animals as well as people too.

When I take my dogs (chihuahuas) out to pee I always stand watch like a prison warren with my gun on my hip. I love on 5 acres in the woods and I've had coyotes walk through.

Family mourning loss of 'Fudgey' the dog after coyote attack in Springfield

"SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - A family in Springfield says a coyote killed their dog in their Sixteen Acres neighborhood Thursday night. The family is warning other pet owners to be on alert.

‘Fudgey,’ the family’s 20-pound Pomeranian Shih Tzu-mix had to be put down Thursday night after being snatched by a coyote right in their backyard on Pineview Drive.

“My buddy got out of the car to go leave, and he saw a coyote running with my dog in its mouth,” said Will Smith of Springfield. "

"MassWildlife Plans Listening Session On Coyotes
March 22, 2019
Share this:

WEST BARNSTABLE – There will be a public listening session held by MassWildlife next month focused on coyote population management, coyote hunting and coyote hunting contests.

The session will take place on Thursday, April 4th at the Cape Cod Community college from 6- 8 p.m.

It will take place in the lecture hall in the science building.

Research has indicated that no more than 250-300 eastern coyotes, or coywolves, could live on Cape Cod at the same time given their space needs."

Hmmm...I'm kind of wondering who did the research, by the "Way".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom