Memorable carry stories...let's hear'em!!!

Everybody who carries daily must have some funny, unique, strange, or scary experiences to share with everyone that relates to your carry gun specifically. here is mine, as an example:

when i first started carrying, i of course went and bought a big heavy gun and wanted to carry it (Smith 5943, stainless, 15rd high capacity mag). well, one day, i stopped at dunkin donuts to grab a coffee. the drive through was packed, so i parked and walked in. knowing i had my piece tucked in the small of the back, i got out of my truck, and swiftly (or so i thought) pulled my shirt down to cover the gun. so i walk into D&D and of course there are a good amount of people in line, and more people sitting down enjoying their coffee and donuts at the tables. everyone was talking so the noise level was pretty high. i walk up in line and start contiplating what to order (with my back to the majority of the people in the place). well, i notice the noise level suddenly get real quiet, almost scary quiet. so i kinda turn my head and just look around, only to notice that almost everyone in the place is looking at me, but trying to act like they aren't. you all know where this is going, hahaha. and keep in mind, i am 22 years old at this time, in jeans and a T-shirt with a button down over the T-shirt, un-buttoned. then, i hear the lady behind me in line whisper to her friend "he's got a gun!!".....the next 2 minutes while i waited my turn in line was the quietist 2 min i ever spent in any dunkin donuts EVER!! i bet the whole place thought i was about to do something stupid, and i understand why!! many of bad things could have come from this situation, but luckily, nothing did happen. finally, i walked up to the counter, ordered my coffee and food, paid the nice teller, and walked out. everyone must have breathed a sigh of relief as they watched me walk out the door, i didn't even bother to try and cover the gun after i knew everyone saw it because i didn't want to bring any more attention or act like i was trying to hide it for a reason. but anyway, that was the day i learned that they make compact firearms for a reason, and to always make sure my firearm is secure and covered before i walk into a public place. i don't like to ever carry open, always concealed for me!!

so let's hear your akward gun stories, if you have one....hope you enjoyed mine!!

You guys resurrected this five year old thread. Anyone have any recent good stories to tell??

I'm a newbie, just got my first handgun. Thanks for the stories, it's been an eye opener. Smart people learn from the mistakes of others, and you've given me lots to think about.

I work on federal property so no carry for me.
Though I was being a good boy until recently I got this in an email from our protectors at work
View attachment ISC Prohibited Items Table.pdf
so I checked and yep my pocket knife is 2 and 9/16", there's 5 years.
Oh and that little pepper spray dongle I have on my car key chain +5.
Not to mention the multitool, scissors, screwdriver, deodorant I have in my desk. +20
This prob. fits better in a different thread somewhere but this topic made me think of that email.

In my pick up, I stopped at a gas station in Peabody to fill up for my run up into NH for deer season. It was 5 am and I had a cocked, locked and loaded military 45 in a regulation brown navy holster and web belt. The whole rig including a USN WWII Kabar was on my hip. I was filling up when a Peabody cruiser pulled in and the cop on my side rolled his window down and said, "Put that thing out of sight. It makes people nervous." I replied, "OK." finished filling up and got back in the truck. He never even asked if I had a license. I guess being that blatant, it was just assumed I was legal.

I had been back maybe a year after getting out of the Marine corp and was heading to braintree to go to the range. I was driving a Chevy 1500 at the time and as I turn onto a road a high speed police chase was coming right at me, the car hit a wall and came into my lane. All in slow motion I thought it was going to hit me head on lucky it hit a pole no more then 10 meters from me. I get out of the truck as the officer car came up to the car and the drive jumps out and runs throw some trees the passenger start to get out as myself and the officer come to the front of our cars. I see him draw his duty gun seeing he had no backup I draw my para P12 at the time and cover him. As he pats down the passenger he pulls two or three knifes off him. About 30sec later state and Quincy officers show up to look for the other guy. The officer never asked me for any ID just said thank you and asked where I was heading. I said wrong place at the right time I was heading to the pistol range, he laugh and said have a good one.

You're lucky the back up didn't shoot you or arrest you. Good job. This would be high up on the "things never to do with a gun list" IMO. Imagine what could have happened if the suspect did something and you were forced to shoot.

Here’s two stories in one, the first one causing the second…..Way back in the day (late 70’s) when LTC’S were known as Pistol Permits, and you could carry a handgun at age 18 (yes, in Mass.) a friend of mine was pulled over by a Ma. SP trooper. For what reason, I don’t know, but anyways the Statie asks for his license and reg. He pulls out his license and goes to the glovebox for his registration. At this point when he leaned over to the glovebox, his shirt rode up exposing his firearm. He didn’t know that the cop saw it, and when he leaned back in the seat to give him the papers, he felt the cold steel barrel of the troopers .357 on the side of his head, and heard the trooper say something to the effect of “Put your hands on top of your head and back out of the vehicle real slow or you might not have a head to put your hands on. “ He was relieved of his gun until the officer found out that he was legal. He got his gun back, and a big ass chewing for almost giving the cop a hemorrhoid by letting his gun show like he did.
Well onto the second story. Basically the same thing happened to me on Rt. 24 in Bridgewater. Got stopped for speeding, I had a lead foot when I was younger. Trooper approaches my car and asks if I knew why he pulled me over. I replied yes I knew I was going too fast, and at that point because I was carrying a S+W mod. 36, chiefs special in the small of my back, and because of what happened to my friend, I announced to him that I was licensed to carry a firearm, and had one in the SOMB. He stepped back about two feet, asked what kind of gun it was, and after I told him he asked me to remove it real slow and hand it to him out the window. I did just that and handed it to him upside down with it hanging off of my finger in the trigger guard. He took my papers, and when he came back he stated, So this is your fathers gun? I said yes it was, and he asked if I carried it for a job. I said no, my permit says Personal Protection. He gives me my papers, hands me back the gun, along with a warning for speeding, and says have a nice day. I know how everyone says “Don’t ask, don’t tell”. But at that time I think it worked out pretty well. To this day I make sure I carry so there is no way of accidently exposing myself, and I also won’t voluntarily announce that I am carrying unless asked………

I've mentioned it a couple times. Was out fishing in CA, look up from the creek to see a cougar eyeballing me. Had the Blackhawk filled with rattlesnake load, because those are about the most dangerous thing there aside from people.

It charges, I dropped the pole and fumble for the revolver, bring it up and fire a first shot into the dirt, finally get on target and send snake shot into its face. It shakes it off and runs off. Didn't brown trou, because everything was too puckered up tight.

I hate cougars........

so I'm sitting in the bar one time ,I've got my 38 locked and loaded like I always do.A woman comes up to me offers to buy me a drink, three hours later I was later rolling around with her on herbqueen size bed, man she was fun.

I Love cougars!!!!!

For a real contribution, albeit third party:

Lebanon NH super Walmart, in the frozen and dairy section. Elderly man open carrying a full size 1911 in condition 2. Bubbleheaded young woman pushing her carriage with her forarms while holding her phone portrait and texting up a storm plowed right into the guy... Damn near knocked him off his feet and into the gallons of milk.
She, and I, and the person I was with helped him back to his feet.
Nobody was shot in the altercation.

I was at the voting station in my town this past November and I had my 1911 OWB. I also thought it was covered by my jacket but apparently not. I heard a woman behind me in line get the attention of a police officer. Half whispering but I could hear her fine she told the officer "that man right there is carrying a gun on his belt" [shocked].

The cop was pretty cool about it. He came to me and asked if I had a CC permit, which I did. Technically I didn't need one as I was carrying OWB but my jacket was covering the upper half of the firearm.

He went back to the lady and told her that I was within my rights to be carrying my firearm as I was duly "licensed" to. She was upset to say the least but the cop said there was nothing he could do. There are no laws in NH keeping me from carrying at a polling place.

I know of the woman and she is a flaming moonbat...involved in town, school and state politics. Yup...one of those...I don't think she's worked a day in her life. [thinking]

Stopped with two friends on way back from a match in a moonbat town, cop asked about guns. Omitting the boring details, the driver was given a written warning, and we were told that we are exercising our rights as Americans to be armed and that is a good thing.

One memorable instance I can never forget but it wasn't me drawing attention. Mrs. BD works at a bank and I was picking her up from work one night... their drive up ATM was being repaired by a German gentleman who open carries while he works and is the type of guy that doesn't GAF about anything or anybody. He crossed in front of a BMW X5 that was pulling up to the drive up and the guy saw his revolver. The look on bmw's face was [shocked] followed by shit in his pants. I was laughing my ass off. Mr BMW didn't know what to do until he realized the guy with a gun was working on the ATM. I was laughing my ass off with tears in my eyes and was honestly waiting for the cops to show up.[rofl]

Early 1980s, I see a guy walk up to the drop box on the side of the bank late one night, he's OC'g a revolver, has a bank bag in one hand. His demeanor told me that it was OK, so I didn't stop him or question him. And back then people used common sense wrt "does someone look like a threat" rather than "OMG they have a weapon" (which is today's way things work).

I as curious about it so I did ask my chief a few days later when I saw him (I was on the PD, but not working that night) and he told me that the guy was the manager of Shaw's making a money drop and he did that every night. OK.

Those were the days when no SWAT showed up, we hadn't invented moonbats yet, and the mantra wasn't "see something, say something"!

Almost 20yr ago, I ordered a nice little IWB belt holster for my Kel-Tec P11 and it arrived different from that pictured. The maker said he had revised the design and I might try it out. Well, somehow it rotated and dropped my P11 from under my suit jacket in the hallway while I was talking to a few colleagues. It hit the floor and I picked it up and pocketed it instantly, commenting about a slippery cell phone. Whatever they saw must have been re-processed into a cellphone, as they never blinked as we continued our conversation. The maker gave me the old design and discontinued the "revised" design.

"These aren't the Droids you're looking for..." often works for weak minds.

I was in NH one time, Twin Mountain, and went into that general store on the corner. I had my Sig P239 in my Galco cross breed and had taken my jacket off and completely forgot about it and went in the store. There were about 5 or 6 people in there at the time and no one said anything or even looked at me funny. It was really weird.

Freedom.

I've mentioned it a couple times. Was out fishing in CA, look up from the creek to see a cougar eyeballing me. Had the Blackhawk filled with rattlesnake load, because those are about the most dangerous thing there aside from people.

It charges, I dropped the pole and fumble for the revolver, bring it up and fire a first shot into the dirt, finally get on target and send snake shot into its face. It shakes it off and runs off. Didn't brown trou, because everything was too puckered up tight.

I hate cougars........

so I'm sitting in the bar one time ,I've got my 38 locked and loaded like I always do.A woman comes up to me offers to buy me a drink, three hours later I was later rolling around with her on herbqueen size bed, man she was fun.

I Love cougars!!!!!

You meant to say your 3.8 was locked and loaded, correct ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in NH one time, Twin Mountain, and went into that general store on the corner. I had my Sig P239 in my Galco cross breed and had taken my jacket off and completely forgot about it and went in the store. There were about 5 or 6 people in there at the time and no one said anything or even looked at me funny. It was really weird.

That's the town I grew up in...it's one of those strange little towns being slowly, ever so slowly converted to moon bats.

old story, pre 9/11. i was living in colorado and heading to the airport in springs to pick someone up. those days they didn't give out concealed ltc's, open carry only. so you concealed at your own risk. i get out of my truck in the lot, take a mod 36 revolver out of my pocket. i would usually unload, throw the rounds in my pocket and toss the gun under the seat. this day for some reason i put the unloaded gun in my other pants pocket instead of under the seat. walk into the airport to the the gate. in those days you could wait for arrivals at the gate but went through a metal detector before proceeding thru. reach in the first pocket, pull out a pocket full of change and five 38 rounds, toss it into the basket. next pocket i feel the revolver, oh shit. i quickly picked the stuff out of the basket and back into my pocket and mumbled to the guard "i'll wait over here" and went to sit on a bench across from the detector. no one batted an eye or questioned why i backed out of the detector so quickly. do that now and swat would be mobilized. long story short, my friend came out, no one came to question me, all ended well. better in person, ya had to be there. [grin]

A few years ago when I first started carrying concealed, I was carrying a Ruger SR9C in a smart carry holster. I was getting changed and undid the velcro strap with the pistol still in the holster rather than taking it out first, and everything seemed to go into slow motion as the pistol flopped forward and out of the holster, tumble onto the hardwood floor, and slid across the room. Aside from a slightly chipped floor and some serious butt puckerage, no ND and no damage. After that I switched to an IWB strong side holster and made certain to never ever take short-cuts when handling firearms.

Checking a bunch of handguns at Logan, pre-1911. Get to the counter and the agent says "boy are you people going to be pissed" (flight delay). There was another flight on the way to our destination in VA and the agent said "Not enough time to check the bags, come with me" - walked us right through security with our guns (still had to X-ray them though), with the agent walking us to the gate to check the bags and promising to stop by security to "sign for it" on her way back.

On the way back from VA, we did the usual gun check thing and the agent asked "Where are you doing with all these guns?". The woman I was traveling with didn't miss a beat .... "militia meeting".

And then there was the trip to Toronto on an A320 where a friend and I sat up front talking guns and trains with the pilot for the entire flight.

Checking a bunch of handguns at Logan, pre-1911. Get to the counter and the agent says "boy are you people going to be pissed" (flight delay). There was another flight on the way to our destination in VA and the agent said "Not enough time to check the bags, come with me" - walked us right through security with our guns (still had to X-ray them though), with the agent walking us to the gate to check the bags and promising to stop by security to "sign for it" on her way back.

On the way back from VA, we did the usual gun check thing and the agent asked "Where are you doing with all these guns?". The woman I was traveling with didn't miss a beat .... "militia meeting".

And then there was the trip to Toronto on an A320 where a friend and I sat up front talking guns and trains with the pilot for the entire flight.
That was a long time ago.[rofl]

Was staying over at a ladyfriend's house and had neglected to drop my carry gun off at home beforehand. She goes, "do you want a drink?" and I said, "Sure, but there's something I gotta do first." Went and locked up my gun in my bag. She proceeded in pestering me about what I was doing until I finally told her. "You were carrying a gun! Why???" Now she knows better than to ask that question, but at the time she just couldn't believe I was carrying. The next day we went for a walk in the park and she kept asking if I had my gun with me and where I was hiding it. Wouldn't tell her.

One other time at work I was in the bathroom and I dropped my pants in the stall. My spare mag somehow flew out of the pocket it was in and skittered across the floor of the stall. Grabbed it fast and shoved it back in my pocket. I don't think anyone realized what had happened since it never left the stall.

A couple of years ago in Southern AZ I was walking into Walmart and saw this punk emo kid walking through the parking lot open carrying a Glock. Now in Southern AZ the rules on open carry are pretty flexible. Typically kids as young as 16 won't get stopped if they are open carrying SAA (usually coming into town from the farm/ranch and that's their snake gun). This punk was probably 18, wearing all black (jeans and t-shirt) and carrying the Glock in one of the Glock plastic holsters. Except that it was a strong side holster and he was wearing it cross-draw style. He tucked his t-shirt in behind it so it wasn't "concealed". As he's walking in (with his mom and sister), he makes eye contact with a guy walking out and starts giving him attitude and moved in a threatening manner. The guy walking out turns out to be an Arizona Ranger (think Texas Ranger with less supervision). Ranger pins the kid's hand to his waistband to prevent him from trying to complete the act of drawing the Glock, then "buffaloes" him with the SAA that he was carrying. At this point, I'm trying to open the car door but I'm laughing too hard. I heard the Ranger tell the kid's mom to teach her boy some manners or the next person is liable to shoot him instead. Then he gets in his truck and drives off.

... One other time at work I was in the bathroom and I dropped my pants in the stall. My spare mag somehow flew out of the pocket it was in and skittered across the floor of the stall. Grabbed it fast and shoved it back in my pocket. I don't think anyone realized what had happened since it never left the stall.

Thank God you weren't in the stall next to Len.
Your mag could have jammed into his gun,
and then someone really could have gotten hurt.

old story, pre 9/11. i was living in colorado and heading to the airport in springs to pick someone up. those days they didn't give out concealed ltc's, open carry only. so you concealed at your own risk. i get out of my truck in the lot, take a mod 36 revolver out of my pocket. i would usually unload, throw the rounds in my pocket and toss the gun under the seat. this day for some reason i put the unloaded gun in my other pants pocket instead of under the seat. walk into the airport to the the gate. in those days you could wait for arrivals at the gate but went through a metal detector before proceeding thru. reach in the first pocket, pull out a pocket full of change and five 38 rounds, toss it into the basket. next pocket i feel the revolver, oh shit. i quickly picked the stuff out of the basket and back into my pocket and mumbled to the guard "i'll wait over here" and went to sit on a bench across from the detector. no one batted an eye or questioned why i backed out of the detector so quickly. do that now and swat would be mobilized. long story short, my friend came out, no one came to question me, all ended well. better in person, ya had to be there. [grin]

Times have changed.
Late 80s/early 90s. I was going into court as a witness and I didn't even think about that I was carrying, it was just like getting dressed in the morning. I walk up to the entrance and see the metal detector. I turn to the guard and say "I can't go through that" he asked why and I pulled open my jacket so he could see. The guard has me follow him into a room off to the side, he didn't say anything to either of the other guards and I was just walking behind him. We go into the room with little lockers for guns. I clear my weapon, lock it up and keep the key. He never even asked to see my licenses. And this was in MA.

Times have changed.
Late 80s/early 90s. I was going into court as a witness and I didn't even think about that I was carrying, it was just like getting dressed in the morning. I walk up to the entrance and see the metal detector. I turn to the guard and say "I can't go through that" he asked why and I pulled open my jacket so he could see. The guard has me follow him into a room off to the side, he didn't say anything to either of the other guards and I was just walking behind him. We go into the room with little lockers for guns. I clear my weapon, lock it up and keep the key. He never even asked to see my licenses. And this was in MA.

I've been in a number of courthouses on business as a Constable since the 2000s and it's the same procedure EXCEPT they don't want you unloading the gun, just put it in the locker loaded. As an Instructor I concur, the less handling means the less NDs. Only one courthouse asked to see a LTC and created a paper trail.

Back
Top Bottom