Memorable carry stories...let's hear'em!!!

Everybody who carries daily must have some funny, unique, strange, or scary experiences to share with everyone that relates to your carry gun specifically. here is mine, as an example:

when i first started carrying, i of course went and bought a big heavy gun and wanted to carry it (Smith 5943, stainless, 15rd high capacity mag). well, one day, i stopped at dunkin donuts to grab a coffee. the drive through was packed, so i parked and walked in. knowing i had my piece tucked in the small of the back, i got out of my truck, and swiftly (or so i thought) pulled my shirt down to cover the gun. so i walk into D&D and of course there are a good amount of people in line, and more people sitting down enjoying their coffee and donuts at the tables. everyone was talking so the noise level was pretty high. i walk up in line and start contiplating what to order (with my back to the majority of the people in the place). well, i notice the noise level suddenly get real quiet, almost scary quiet. so i kinda turn my head and just look around, only to notice that almost everyone in the place is looking at me, but trying to act like they aren't. you all know where this is going, hahaha. and keep in mind, i am 22 years old at this time, in jeans and a T-shirt with a button down over the T-shirt, un-buttoned. then, i hear the lady behind me in line whisper to her friend "he's got a gun!!".....the next 2 minutes while i waited my turn in line was the quietist 2 min i ever spent in any dunkin donuts EVER!! i bet the whole place thought i was about to do something stupid, and i understand why!! many of bad things could have come from this situation, but luckily, nothing did happen. finally, i walked up to the counter, ordered my coffee and food, paid the nice teller, and walked out. everyone must have breathed a sigh of relief as they watched me walk out the door, i didn't even bother to try and cover the gun after i knew everyone saw it because i didn't want to bring any more attention or act like i was trying to hide it for a reason. but anyway, that was the day i learned that they make compact firearms for a reason, and to always make sure my firearm is secure and covered before i walk into a public place. i don't like to ever carry open, always concealed for me!!

so let's hear your akward gun stories, if you have one....hope you enjoyed mine!!

Plenty of people carry a full size gun. A good holster and appropriate clothing will cover almost anything.

My worst moment was when my spare mag carrier broke and dumped my mag onto the floor in the middle of a shopping mall. I heard the thud, looked down, and picked it up quickly. My young son, probably 6 or so at the time, noticed it, gave me a dirty look, then laughed at me when we were safely back at the car.

I had spent the day fishing near June Lake, CA. I went to a diner and sat at the counter with a Ruger Blackhawk on my hip. I was maybe 16 at the time? Gave the waitress a fish and asked them to cook it up for me, finished my order and that was that.

A couple minutes later a CHP trooper comes in, walks directly up to me (strong side facing the diner door) and says, "Give me that gun."
"Nope."
"Give it to me."

I handed it to him, thinking I did something stupid somehow. He looks the thing over, unloads it, inspects it, even does a little cowboy spin with it like he's Clint Eastwood or something. Loads it, sits down next to me. Hands it back and says, "Nice, been wanting to buy one, oh and don't ever give anyone who doesn't have a badge your gun."

Food came, I ate, he ordered some pie, got a call and took off. Other than the time I had to use that Blackhawk to protect myself, that's about as memorable as it gets.

i know these things now, and i know plenty of people who carry full size hand guns, which is fine. but i'm not looking to carry a dirty harry cannon, not my cup-o-tea. one guy i know carries a wilson combat 1911 open right on his hip with his shirt tucked in!!!

protection stories are welcome as well, if you are willing to tell them.

Plenty of people carry a full size gun. A good holster and appropriate clothing will cover almost anything.

My worst moment was when my spare mag carrier broke and dumped my mag onto the floor in the middle of a shopping mall. I heard the thud, looked down, and picked it up quickly. My young son, probably 6 or so at the time, noticed it, gave me a dirty look, then laughed at me when we were safely back at the car.

the first time i read this, i thought it said you dropped a mag, the mag broke, and sprayed ammo everywhere [laugh]

now THAT would be embarassing/hilarious...

Not exactly a date but me and this girl had been trying to get together for like a month and finally we got to meet up on a spur of the moment thing. I happened to be carrying my pistol at the time(spur of the moment, did not have time to go home and store it). Anyways we say hello and she hugs me and of course her hand lands right on my gun. The look on her face was priceless. Pretty sure that scared her off for good.

I don't carry yet, but this was kind of funny.
I have a regular delivery at the Mass State Trooper Academy up in new braintree.
My personal cell phone that I have is a brick, it's the Droid x2, and I always carry it on my belt/hip.
So one of the troopers, one i've bumped into a few times sees me, and sees a hint of black sticking from underneath my shirt( I tucked it sloppy, so the phone stuck out alittle)
to which he says to me "are you aware that it's illegal to carry a firearm into this building? you might want to go lock that up in your truck".
My response was kept my hands where he could see them, and told him " sorry sir, i'm not that stupid, but I am dumb enough to carry a brick for a phone"
He got a chuckle out of it and told me good day.

I have a few stories.

Here's one from back about 30 years ago (been told before).

I'm sitting in the middle of the front section of our HS auditorium during Town Meeting. I'm wearing a short, thin "IKE" jacket and I have a Colt Det Spcl (with Pachmyr grip) holstered in a cheap leather clip-on holster SOB. I get up to speak at Town Meeting and I hear gasps from a number of rows behind me. I realize that the back of the jacket rode up over the Pachmyr grips and the nice shiny nickel-plated gun is visible. I kind of chuckled that if anyone complained to any of the officers present at Town Meeting they would just get told "he's one of us". [It was an agreement between my Chief and I that I would wear dark pants (instead of uniform pants), work Town Meeting until the Meeting began and then change shirts and jackets to civvies and I could carry the Det Spcl instead of my usual Colt Trooper 4". The Moderator had told me that he wouldn't allow me to speak in police uniform as it would appear that I was speaking for the PD, thus the need for civvies.]

I had been back maybe a year after getting out of the Marine corp and was heading to braintree to go to the range. I was driving a Chevy 1500 at the time and as I turn onto a road a high speed police chase was coming right at me, the car hit a wall and came into my lane. All in slow motion I thought it was going to hit me head on lucky it hit a pole no more then 10 meters from me. I get out of the truck as the officer car came up to the car and the drive jumps out and runs throw some trees the passenger start to get out as myself and the officer come to the front of our cars. I see him draw his duty gun seeing he had no backup I draw my para P12 at the time and cover him. As he pats down the passenger he pulls two or three knifes off him. About 30sec later state and Quincy officers show up to look for the other guy. The officer never asked me for any ID just said thank you and asked where I was heading. I said wrong place at the right time I was heading to the pistol range, he laugh and said have a good one.

Last edited:
I had been back maybe a year after getting out of the Marine corp and was heading to braintree to go to the range. I was driving a Chevy 1500 at the time and as I turn onto a road a high speed police chase was coming right at me, the car hit a wall and came into my lane. All in slow motion I thought it was going to hit me head on lucky it hit a pole no more then 10 meters from me. I get out of the truck as the officer car came up to the car and the drive jumps out and runs throw some trees the passenger start to get out as myself and the officer come to the front of our cars. I see him draw his duty gun seeing he had no backup I draw my para P12 at the time and cover him. As he pats down the passenger he pulls two or three knifes off him. About 30sec letter state and Quincy officers show up to look for the other guy. The officer never asked me for any ID just said thank you and asked where I was heading. I said wrong place at the right time I was heading to the pistol range, he laugh and said have a good one.

now that's intense!!!

Second SOB story.

Wife and I out for an evening in Harvard Square. We go to a local restaurant after seeing a play/movie and I wait until I sit down in the booth before taking off my sports jacket. When we're done, I get up (we were the last booth along the wall) before putting my jacket back on. I spot some hushed discussion/worried looks at the bar (bartender and a couple of waiters) and then realize that the entire wall behind me is a f'n mirror! They spotted the gun in the mirror and were agitated. We left and nothing bad happened. Again this was in late 1970s-early 1980s. [Gun was in a cheap clip-on leather holster, SOB.]

Third SOB story.

From another eList, I met a professor from VA who took a stint as a visiting professor at Babson College for the Summer. She ccw'd and was an active shooter in VA, got her MA LTC and I'd agreed to take her to my gun club for some practice. Afterwards we went to my local Chinese restaurant for lunch. While sitting in the booth, she goes "oh, oh" . . . her SOB holster had somehow come loose and she very gingerly made her way to the ladies room to fix the problem.

Basically SOB holsters suck and can/will out you eventually!

I had been back maybe a year after getting out of the Marine corp and was heading to braintree to go to the range. I was driving a Chevy 1500 at the time and as I turn onto a road a high speed police chase was coming right at me, the car hit a wall and came into my lane. All in slow motion I thought it was going to hit me head on lucky it hit a pole no more then 10 meters from me. I get out of the truck as the officer car came up to the car and the drive jumps out and runs throw some trees the passenger start to get out as myself and the officer come to the front of our cars. I see him draw his duty gun seeing he had no backup I draw my para P12 at the time and cover him. As he pats down the passenger he pulls two or three knifes off him. About 30sec letter state and Quincy officers show up to look for the other guy. The officer never asked me for any ID just said thank you and asked where I was heading. I said wrong place at the right time I was heading to the pistol range, he laugh and said have a good one.

71905_1491557454341_1396168431_31307750_3156089_n.jpg

I was cruising down rt 495 about 5 miles over the speed limit on my motorcycle. A truck was tailgaiting me and finally, in frustration, I waived him back. (politely, no middle finger) Usually when I've done this most people will either roar past me in anger or tailgate even closer. Oddly, this guy immediately backed off 50 ft and politely stayed there. That's when I noticed my vest had ridden up in back and was clearly exposing my firearm.

i also had a ruger P345 fall down one of my pant legs while walking into a gas station from my car....i just turned around and walked back to my car slowly so the gun wouldn't completely fall out the bottom in the middle of the parking lot.

I don't follow?

meaning there is no law saying you can't carry a legal registered permitted firearm into a police station or police barracks.....meaning he wouldn't have been able to cite a chapter to prove that it's illegal....meaning he probably just wanted to pound on his chest a little bit and be condescending towards you like SOME LEO officers can be. (notice i said SOME, not ALL, not MOST....SOME!!! i know plenty of police officers and a few state troopers who are not like this at all, but i know others who are - they abuse their position in law enforcement by suddenly enforcing imaginary laws that they came up with on their own, or they may just mis-represent some laws unknowingly)

meaning there is no law saying you can't carry a legal registered permitted firearm into a police station or police barracks.....meaning he wouldn't have been able to cite a chapter to prove that it's illegal....meaning he probably just wanted to pound on his chest a little bit and be condescending towards you like SOME LEO officers can be. (notice i said SOME, not ALL, not MOST....SOME!!! i know plenty of police officers and a few state troopers who are not like this at all, but i know others who are - they abuse their position in law enforcement by suddenly enforcing imaginary laws that they came up with on their own, or they may just mis-represent some laws unknowingly)

It's also possible that he just mistakenly thought it was a law. He wouldn't be the only cop to fall victim to that. Our state laws are confusing like that.

Next time ask him if he has a law chapter to cite for that.

Well the first time I was at MSP Academy was probably ~1980 for the "Brown Book Exam" and we had to work a town event right afterwards so we were in "full battle gear" but we were told that they had a rule of no loaded guns in the building (probably just for the Academy) so we unloaded before we went in and carried an empty firearm (revolver). Nobody checked.

Last two times I was at MSP HQ for hearings and GCAB meeting nobody checked anyone and they just let us in, didn't even have to sign the visitor log.

I don't recall ever seeing any "law" about it however.

I can tell you that in Maine, there is a LAW and the entire ~15 acre campus that houses ME SP is "off limits" legally. No metal detectors or anything when you enter the building however.

well if it wasn't law, i'd have to say maybe he said it due to the recruits all around running their scenerio training, not wanting them to get nervous if there was some bearded, tatto'd civvie walking around with a fire arm.
I was actually suprised with how easy going he was about it, and got a real laugh when he found out it was just a cell phone.

With some of the horror stories you hear about law enforcement freaking out because you are in fact carrying, I thought this would be a breathe of fresh air :)

just to add, with all the Mass State troopers I do bump into there, not once have they every been rude, snide, or discourteous of the sort.

that's why i said unkowingly mis-representing the law. he may have thought people weren't allowed to carry in the building, but could have been mistaken. it's very easy to misinterpret the twists and turns of gun law....but let's not make this about laws and who knows more about them, bring on more stories!!!

For a short period of time between having a holster break on me and getting a new one I was sticking my full sized pistol in an Uncle Mikes holster and dropping it in a cargo pocket on my shorts. (Picture the gun upside down with slide on the bottom and grip forward.) One day at work I was hurrying to go into my office and I hear a loud thump as I pass through the door frame. My boss who didn't know I carried says, "Oh, was that your knee? Are you ok?" I lied and said, "It wasn't my knee, just my multi tool." My friend/co-worker who knows I carry and was in the office turned so my boss couldn't see the smirk on his face!

Not a carry story per say but:

Same boss (NYC born and bred) asked me if he could get a ride home because his car was in the shop. I said no problem. That day was a split day with us working from 9a-1p and 9p-11p. What is a person to do with 8 hours between work? A couple of us went and packed the car up for the range and made an afternoon out of it. Things ran late and we ended up going from the range to work. At the end of the night we are getting into our cars and my boss asks me to pop the trunk so he can put his bag in. He then decided that he would be fine carrying it on his lap!

Say more.....

I've mentioned it a couple times. Was out fishing in CA, look up from the creek to see a cougar eyeballing me. Had the Blackhawk filled with rattlesnake load, because those are about the most dangerous thing there aside from people.

It charges, I dropped the pole and fumble for the revolver, bring it up and fire a first shot into the dirt, finally get on target and send snake shot into its face. It shakes it off and runs off. Didn't brown trou, because everything was too puckered up tight.

I hate cougars.

Back
Top Bottom