Memorable carry stories...let's hear'em!!!

So if you go into Boston Police HQ, where they have a metal detector, do you surrender your firearm or what?

Never been there and never see a need to do so.

If I did I would show them my Constable ID and then do as I was told.

A number of years ago, I had a meeting with the Sec. of Public Safety <of the day [laugh]> at 1 Ashburton Place. Showed my ID to the Trooper on duty and was waved thru, no questions asked.

It will vary.

Probably depends on the whims of whoever's guarding the entrance that day.

If you aren't an attorney or somewhat involved in LE, I would expect them to turn you away. For attorneys and LE they will have some sort of policy to either lock it up for you or let you carry it (as long as you aren't going near the cell block). Every PD does or should have a policy of no guns in the cell block area.

what about a court house?? i always wondered what would happen if i walked into a court house for jury duty or to fight a ticket with my carry gun on me, what would happen? obviously i would have to let them know i had it, but would i get in trouble for even walking up to the door with it?? could i check it in with them until i left? or would the right thing to do be just leave it locked up in the car?? as of now, i would either leave it at home all together, or lock it in the car....but would it be okay to hand it over to the guard??

what about a court house?? i always wondered what would happen if i walked into a court house for jury duty or to fight a ticket with my carry gun on me, what would happen? obviously i would have to let them know i had it, but would i get in trouble for even walking up to the door with it?? could i check it in with them until i left? or would the right thing to do be just leave it locked up in the car?? as of now, i would either leave it at home all together, or lock it in the car....but would it be okay to hand it over to the guard??

I had jury duty and chose to leave it home. When I walked up to the security folks (in a large group of potential jurors) I chose to not out myself and put everything in the bin for x-ray. The security guard (these are contract, not real court officers) said to me "if you had shown your ID we would have let you bypass the metal detector". Yup in front of everyone else, no thanks. Every time I've been in that courthouse, they require that I lock it up there (they only have a 4-gun locker) and take the key with me. I have been told that if you aren't an attorney (show your Bar Card) or LE, they will not hold your gun (the 4-gun locker would be full all the time and they'd still have to turn people away) and will tell you to lock it up in your car. Given the lack of facilities, I can understand that policy.

I walked into a store 24 (I was living in the Philly at the time), reached into my coat pocket and caught the trigger of a raven 25 that was in my coat pocket, letting off a round into the floor about 2 feet in front of me. I just about shit my pants, as did the clerk working. It was my 1 and only ND ever... learned an important lesson about holsters that day

Wow. "Sorry about that, guys!"

how did you get out of that one? I can't begin to imagine the hell you would go through if it happened in MA...

All this badge flashing's got me all hot and bothered

Some people are more equal than others.

Like it or not, reality is that this is true in the way that rules/laws are created and enforced.

I've never walked into a courthouse in any other state, but I'd bet that anywhere where you have prisoners/felons gathering for potential sentencing, they have rules on who can and who can not have guns in that building.

We've all seen news footage of courthouses around the country with metal detectors, x-ray machines that are the same as what you will find in a MA courthouse.

I do wish they would treat all of us (legal gun owners) the same and either let us carry or lock them up for us whenever we went into these buildings, but lack of facilities dictates otherwise.

As for LE privilege . . . I've been told by some FT POs that some courts demand that they not enter the building in uniform to testify and/or don't carry a gun and/or keep it concealed, etc. The rules in MA are created by the chief justice for that SPECIFIC COURTHOUSE, so each building could conceivably have different rules. [Kinda sounds like the MA 351 city/town rules for LTC issuance doesn't it?]

here's another story:

when i first met my fiance, she was really wanting to go shooting with me. but i only knew one person who was a member at a club, and i never could arrange a shoot with him that was convenient for both of us. so i went to my old home town, where it is okay to discharge firearms, and parked on the side of a large wooded area where i use to ride quads when i was a kid. this was a huge forest of different paths, hills, twists & turns that i knew like the back of my hand. so we walked for about a half hour way into an area called "the bowl" because it was an area shaped like a bowl where a series of hills went down to an area of lower elevation in a full 360 degrees. the closest house was probably 750 yds away, with thick forest in between. i set up a target on the lower part of a large tree trunk, which had a steep hill right behind it so any bullets would go into the dirt of the hill behind the tree. the hill was about 35ft high, and we were only standing about 20 feet away from the tree. i had a .22 pistol, Glock 19, Smith stainless 9mm, and a Wilson Combat 1911 .45 all in a winchester locking gun briefcase. i also had a shoulder bag with ammo for all of them, ear and eye protection, and a Para Warthog .45 in tucked in my waist. well, as we walked out of the woods to go back to my car, i see there was a 5-0 parked right behind my car waiting for me at the end of the path. as we walked out of the path, the officer popped out with his pistol drawn ordering us to stop, drop everything, and put our hands up. he cautiously walked over, asking if i had any weapons on me. i told him "yes, a 45 in my waist"....he lifted my shirt and pulled it out of my waist, asking if it was loaded, which i replied "the mag is, but nothing in the chamber". he carried everything back to our vehicles, asked for our identification, then popped open the case. his eyes about popped out of his head when he realized a 24 year old (at the time) was carrying such firepower, lol. so then he radio's in our personal info, plus my firearm license info, and proceeded to check every serial number of every gun with dispatch. all of them came back clean in my buddy's name (who i was borrowing the firearms from for the day), and both of our records came back clean individually. apparantly, the problem was that this property had recently been bought by a new owner who posted no trespassing signs on the trees along the road...however, they were about 30ft in the air, barely visible behind the leaves and branches of the trees. i proceeded to tell him how i use to ride dirtbikes in that area, the old owner never cared about anyone riding out there as he was very old and probably didn't even realize anyone was out there. i also mentioned that i thought there was a law about trespassing signs needing to be no more than X amount of feet high, he agreed. he told me not to go back there on that property anymore, packed up all my guns, handed me back the 45 i was tucking (unloaded, mag out) and let me on my way. my fiance was nervous the whole time, and i had no idea what was going to happen, thinking i could lose my license or something. but the cop was pretty cool, and i got lucky i guess. never went back there again.

Last edited:
Wow. "Sorry about that, guys!"

how did you get out of that one? I can't begin to imagine the hell you would go through if it happened in MA...

I would have looked around frantically, and shouted "WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT!?!?! Did any one hear that!!?? It sounded like it might've been a gunshot, and pretty close too! I'm outa here!

here's another story:

when i first met my fiance, she was really wanting to go shooting with me. but i only knew one person who was a member at a club, and i never could arrange a shoot with him that was convenient for both of us. so i went to my old home town, where it is okay to discharge firearms, and parked on the side of a large wooded area where i use to ride quads when i was a kid. this was a huge forest of different paths, hills, twists & turns that i knew like the back of my hand. so we walked for about a half hour way into an area called "the bowl" because it was an area shaped like a bowl where a series of hills went down to an area of lower elevation in a full 360 degrees. the closest house was probably 750 yds away, with thick forest in between. i set up a target on the lower part of a large tree trunk, which had a steep hill right behind it so any bullets would go into the dirt of the hill behind the tree. the hill was about 35ft high, and we were only standing about 20 feet away from the tree. i had a .22 pistol, Glock 19, Smith stainless 9mm, and a Wilson Combat 1911 .45 all in a winchester locking gun briefcase. i also had a shoulder bag with ammo for all of them, ear and eye protection, and a Para Warthog .45 in tucked in my waist. well, as we walked out of the woods to go back to my car, i see there was a 5-0 parked right behind my car waiting for me at the end of the path. as we walked out of the path, the officer popped out with his pistol drawn ordering us to stop, drop everything, and put our hands up. he cautiously walked over, asking if i had any weapons on me. i told him "yes, a 45 in my waist"....he lifted my shirt and pulled it out of my waist, asking if it was loaded, which i replied "the mag is, but nothing in the chamber". he carried everything back to our vehicles, asked for our identification, then popped open the case. his eyes about popped out of his head when he realized a 24 year old (at the time) was carrying such firepower, lol. so then he radio's in our personal info, plus my firearm license info, and proceeded to check every serial number of every gun with dispatch. all of them came back clean in my name, both of us came back clean individually. apparantly, the problem was that this property had recently been bought by a new owner who posted no trespassing signs on the trees along the road...however, they were about 30ft in the air, barely visible behind the leaves and branches of the trees. i proceeded to tell him how i use to ride dirtbikes in that area, the old owner never cared about anyone riding out there as he was very old and probably didn't even realize anyone was out there. i also mentioned that i thought there was a law about trespassing signs needing to be no more than X amount of feet high, he agreed. he told me not to go back there on that property anymore, packed up all my guns, handed me back the 45 i was tucking (unloaded, mag out) and let me on my way. my fiance was nervous the whole time, and i had no idea what was going to happen, thinking i could lose my license or something. but the cop was pretty cool, and i got lucky i guess. never went back there again.

what area do you live? that area sounds extremely familiar to a place near me on the south shore.

The closest I can come to an embarrassing story is last summer.

I was heading to the dentist one morning and found my self feeling a little lazy.
Wearing cargo shorts and a short sleeve button up, I put my 1911 into its IWB
holster and just threw the spare mag into my left leg pocket.

Well, short story short. When the Hygienist leaned the chair back the spare
mag fell out of my pocket with a very loud clank! I "think" I was able to pick it
up and replace it into the pocket with out her seeing it, but to this day I am
still not sure.

One more reason to have a good magazine holster as well.

Hey Ryan, I would argue that said cop was not very cool.

Did he also check all your credit cards to make sure the numbers were yours? Did he check your car reg too? Dick move on his part.

Hey Ryan, I would argue that said cop was not very cool.

Did he also check all your credit cards to make sure the numbers were yours? Did he check your car reg too? Dick move on his part.

yes, i can see what you're saying. i'm sure he did check my reg before i came out of the woods, and he probably was peeping inside my car windows before i came out too. but, hey....it was my first encounter with law enforcement regarding my firearms, and i was trespassing, so i was nervous. overall, i was satisfied with the outcome.

btw, i'm not a "cops are great" kinda guy, ya know:) i hear ya loud and clear!!

The closest I can come to an embarrassing story is last summer.

I was heading to the dentist one morning and found my self feeling a little lazy.
Wearing cargo shorts and a short sleeve button up, I put my 1911 into its IWB
holster and just threw the spare mag into my left leg pocket.

Well, short story short. When the Hygienist leaned the chair back the spare
mag fell out of my pocket with a very loud clank! I "think" I was able to pick it
up and replace it into the pocket with out her seeing it, but to this day I am
still not sure.

One more reason to have a good magazine holster as well.

Dentist chairs are good like that. My dentist found a Beretta that fell out of some guy's holster. He locked it in his safe and had to wait for the guy to call looking for it.

About 15-20 years ago I was carrying Taurus .38 in an Uncle Mike's when I stopped in a Store 24 in Dorchester around 11-12 at night. Apparently one of the cashiers had started mopping the floor but stopped when customers came in, and had not put a sign up. Lucky guy that I am, I find this out by going down pretty hard and my Taurus pops out... right in front of the store security guard. I manage to keep it from completely leaving the holster and hitting the floor but he and a couple of customers see the whole thing. Poor dude's eyes nearly bug out of his head. I'm pretty sure the last thing an underpaid, unarmed security guard at a convenience store in Dot wants to deal with is a customer with a gun regardless of the circumstances. I figured at that point that it was best to find someplace else to grab smokes, soda, and snacks. It was an embarrassing life lesson on how good holsters are worth every penny.

RG617's story reminds me . . .

One day many years ago I go into the men's room in an office building and as I drop trou, the gun falls out of the cheap leather clip-on holster and goes skittering across the tile floor. Retrieved same. Luckily I was the only person in that men's room at the time. [I will tell you that this will not happen with a proper custom leather holster, such as I wear these days.]

How the hell did you not notice that?[wink]

Anesthesia.

RG617's story reminds me . . .

One day many years ago I go into the men's room in an office building and as I drop trou, the gun falls out of the cheap leather clip-on holster and goes skittering across the tile floor. Retrieved same. Luckily I was the only person in that men's room at the time. [I will tell you that this will not happen with a proper custom leather holster, such as I wear these days.]

Did the gun leave the stall? Would have been pretty awkward to be crawling across the floor with your pants down, trying to retreive a firearm, had someone walked in. [laugh]

Did the gun leave the stall? Would have been pretty awkward to be crawling across the floor with your pants down, trying to retreive a firearm, had someone walked in. [laugh]

No, luckily it only went about 2' away, but it was the loudest sound on earth when it happened!! [shocked]

Here's my memorable story.

I went into Boston tonight to watch the Superbowl with some friends.

I was carrying my G26, a spare mag, and a can of Fox labs OC. You know, for the drunken bums, etc. [laugh]

I rode on the T. Which was completely ****ed up- the red line was half broken.

I went to hang out with my friends, eat, smoke some cigars, watch the game, etc.

I had a great time, outside of the Pats losing, which sucked. I was more pissed off that there were no
cheerleaders. (other than the fake ones during the Half Time show... )

The best part was.... absolutely nothing happened! Then again, I don't go looking for trouble. I'd rather hang out with people I know will never cause trouble. Even if it costs me a little extra to do so.

The biggest threat of the night was the recirculating fart gas on the T shuttle bus between Alewife and Harvard Square. I dodged that threat on the way back by getting a ride back from one of my friends to Alewife.

I think this needs to be celebrated more often. People carrying LOADED guns, going places, doing things, enjoying themselves... and nothing "bad" happening. There are thousands of us that do this every day in MA and elsewhere.

Someone will say "that's not a big deal". Well, it is a big deal to me- because joe retard thinks from the MSM BS that is out there, that people carrying guns will cause problems and shoot people unprovoked, and that blood will run in the streets. We all know it's a bunch of bullshit.

The fact that thousands of Americans carry guns every day and nothing bad happens should always be memorable.... even if the Pats lose.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom