• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manufactuing/Industrial zoning needed around Boston for 07 FFL.

Hey guys,

I've recently moved to Brookline from Montana and will be applying for an 07 FFL to build bolt action ARs and work on other bufferless AR designs as some of you might have seen in this thread- https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/308868-Bolt-Action-AR-Upper

MA law prohibits home FFLs, so I will need to rent a small space in an industrial or manufacturing-zoned area. I would like to keep it within 20 miles of Brookline if possible. From what I've been told, the area can even be as small as a storage closet, I just need somewhere to keep my documentation and sit around waiting for an auditor for an hour per week.

If you have any property or know anyone I can talk to about renting a small space, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

SWG

MA law prohibits home FFLs
Incorrect.

MA law prohibits the issuances of a MA state dealers or gunsmiths license to a residential address.

You can get an FFL for a home address as long as you comply with zoning for home businesses and do not engage in any activity that requires a state dealer or gunsmith license.

Last edited:
Move to Manchester NH and I could rent you an office in an industrial park.

Incorrect.

MA law prohibits the issuances of a MA state dealers or gunsmiths license to a residential address.

You can get an FFL for a home address as long as you comply with zoning for home businesses and do not engage in any activity that requires a stater dealer or gunsmith license.

How do I know if I comply with the zoning?

What would that entail? No sales within MA to non-FFLs?

I'd love to get more details.

Steve

One-Eyed Jack is a user who is usually the go-to person for FFL stuff. Try sending him a PM

We've actually spoken. He offered me a space in Littleton, which is a little far for me.

Thanks though!

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Move to Manchester NH and I could rent you an office in an industrial park.

I wish I could! I've got 2-6 more years to go in Boston!

Steve

One Eye Jack is looking for another FFL tenant I hear. At least you won't be lonely or surrounded by batshitcrazy moms demanding you be shut down.

One Eye Jack is looking for another FFL tenant I hear. At least you won't be lonely or surrounded by batshitcrazy moms demanding you be shut down.

It might be worth the drive then. I don't need to keep my inventory on site do I?

Steve

Steve

1. Usually its as "easy" as going to the building inspectors at your local town hall and asking if a home based part time "machine shop" business requires a variance or not at your address.

2. I know/knew a few home based 07's, you pretty much nailed it no Mass "retail" sales, you are a manufacturer not a dealer.

good luck

1. Usually its as "easy" as going to the building inspectors at your local town hall and asking if a home based part time "machine shop" business requires a variance or not at your address.

2. I know/knew a few home based 07's, you pretty much nailed it no Mass "retail" sales, you are a manufacturer not a dealer.

good luck

When I wanted to get my FFL my town wanted me to do a traffic impact study to do it from my residential property.
At the time I could have had a separate out building with its own utility and alarm. Which was good enough for the town. Although they where concerned with parking and traffic

good luck

Thank you, I'll find out about it. I'm almost completely certain that my current address won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Steve

Note that ITAR regulations require ITAR registration (Minimum $2250.00 per year) if you are engaged in the "manufacture or export" of regulated items. Some 07s think they can skip ITAR because they are not exporting, but they are exposing themselves to legal risk if they ever become a target.

Note that ITAR regulations require ITAR registration (Minimum $2250.00 per year) if you are engaged in the "manufacture or export" of regulated items. Some 07s think they can skip ITAR because they are not exporting, but they are exposing themselves to legal risk if they ever become a target.
.gov specifically says that ITAR registration is required even if no items are exported. I'm not sure how that requirement is remotely constitutional though.

Steve

it's city or town specific in Mass. and Brookline will surely require registration and a fee. if you have a lease it may prohibit commercial operations.

see http://www.brooklinema.gov/DocumentCenter/View/410

on pdf page 42 it looks like light manufacturing would not be permitted as a home business.

I will pay ITAR, thank you for the heads up. It will be a miracle if I am able to turn a profit with all these taxes! As a side note regarding ITAR, you know the government has an agenda when they increase a tax by 400% over the span of a few years...

What I do plan on skipping is the FAET. I plan to cap my complete rifle production at 49 per year, but will offer build kits with everything but the receiver, as PSA and others do.

I'm completely sure that my Coolidge Corner apartment will not allow for any home manufacturing businesses. I will see if One-Eyed Jack can offer me a space in Concord or Littleton.

Steve

I will pay ITAR, thank you for the heads up. It will be a miracle if I am able to turn a profit with all these taxes! As a side note regarding ITAR, you know the government has an agenda when they increase a tax by 400% over the span of a few years...

What I do plan on skipping is the FAET. I plan to cap my complete rifle production at 49 per year, but will offer build kits with everything but the receiver, as PSA and others do.

I'm completely sure that my Coolidge Corner apartment will not allow for any home manufacturing businesses. I will see if One-Eyed Jack can offer me a space in Concord or Littleton.

Steve

Profit in mass and all the taxes..... just substitute Ma, taxes, profit , Brookline
The response from the laughing priest.

Get out while you can....set up shop in Montana. It would be cheaper for you to fly back there every few weeks to work on your design...

Wait till Brookline hears your evil white gun owner manufacture from montana[smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack, what you lose on each transaction, you'll make up in volume!
That's my business model. We keep the buildings full by offering reasonable rents, we pay ourselves and our bills on time, we don't have huge bank accounts but we are paying off mortgages and have a bunch of equity. My background is engineering, but 18 yrs ago I realized that it would make me a shoe-in for commercial property management. And I really like doing it. Jack.

Hey guys, One Eyed Jack said I don't need to keep any inventory on site. Can anyone confirm or deny? I always like getting a second opinion when possible!

Steve

I don't know what ITAR is and only have seen it mentioned here in this thread until today
I sent off a email asking a manufacture why they no longer have their "tech notes" posted on their web site. Lots of great info was there on everything from barrel break in to diagnostic info to trouble shoot problems

this was there response "I wish we could put them on the website but because of ITAR restrictions we can no longer do this. "

really manufactures cant tell you how to take care of and diagnose problems ?

I don't know what ITAR is and only have seen it mentioned here in this thread until today
I sent off a email asking a manufacture why they no longer have their "tech notes" posted on their web site. Lots of great info was there on everything from barrel break in to diagnostic info to trouble shoot problems

this was there response "I wish we could put them on the website but because of ITAR restrictions we can no longer do this. "

really manufactures cant tell you how to take care of and diagnose problems ?

Anybody that manufactures or assembles a complete firearm for sale must pay ITAR. In my opinion, it's .gov's attempt to stop guys from getting their 07 FFLs just so they can have post dealer samples and stuff like that. However, it seems that they haven't been enforcing it on the small guys. However I sure wouldn't want to be on the poopy list when they do...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom