Machine Gun Suggestions

Reloading??? You will, when you see what an apetite an SMG has. One weapon not mentioned, but in your price range is the Sterling SMG. It's in 9mm, there are plenty of spare parts around and it is a joy to shoot, much smoother than an Uzi or a Mac. I see you are in Leominster. Take a ride up to Mason and speak with Paul at State Line Guns. They often have several Class 3 weapons on hand, and he can certainly tell you the pros and cons and ins and out of different weapons.
Gunner

I took a newbie to harvard on saturday. He shot my uzi and mp5. As much as it hurts, we both like the uzi better. it's just more fun to shoot and it also doesn't heat upas fast.
In that price range.. I think you could also look at a sten, reising, stemple 76/45, maybe an mp40 tube.

Of the bunch of them, I'd push for the uzi. great guns, multiple calibers (including 22) and parts are reasonably available and cheap.

The 1986 law didn't make it illegal to manufacture machineguns. It created 3 catagories. We can only own transferable guns. Dealers and manufacturers can own pre dealer samples and can keep them when they give up their license and they can own post dealer samples but must give up the guns when they give up the license. Law enforcement and military agencies can buy new guns which are post dealer samples. That's why my M16 cost me 10 grand and any police department can buy one for a grand or less.

I don't. Why do you ask?

Because buying a machine gun is one thing - feeding it is another thing altogether. Depending on the caliber you get, reloading might be the only way you can afford to shoot it.

You can buy a semi-auto FNC for about $3K, plus another $3-3.5K for a sear. You can shoot the semi while you're waiting on the paperwork for the sear. Take any money you have left over and buy yourself a good progressive press and some components.

You might also want to look at things that have the ability to do caliber conversions and run on .22.. Macs, Uzis, some HKs, ARs..

The 1986 law didn't make it illegal to manufacture machineguns. It created 3 catagories. We can only own transferable guns. Dealers and manufacturers can own pre dealer samples and can keep them when they give up their license and they can own post dealer samples but must give up the guns when they give up the license. Law enforcement and military agencies can buy new guns which are post dealer samples. That's why my M16 cost me 10 grand and any police department can buy one for a grand or less

your correct except in your first statement. May 19th 1986 did make it illegal to manufactur MGs. It made it illegal for everyday citizens. Prior to this date any civiliian could manufactur a MG and have it converted (do it themselves or have it done by a professional company like Norrel, Hard times armory, flemming etc) and they would simply fill out the paperwork (F1 I believe) just like they would today to make and SBR or SBS and it would go through the NFA at ATF and have the same approval process with the CLEO sig, fingerprints etc. My friend had his semi Uzi, Polytech AK and several ARs converted back in 84 and 85. Back then lots of people were taking their semi auto guns and sending it out and paying 150 to 200 bucks and have a company like Hard Times armory (same ones that converted my RR Uzi) convert it to select fire and follow the same protocol as today with NFA. The weapon would then be added into the registry. The Hughes ammendment (black friday as they called it) basically said, no new MGs will be added to the registry for civilians. Only what is in there right now can be traded. I believe according to my buddy they gave approximately a month notice so NFA was swamped with F1s for MG conversions and a lot of companys were working around the clock to manufacture every last one they possibly could and civilians were trying to get all kinds of stuff converted over before the cutoff. Even in MA it could be done but we still needed the green card and CLEO signoff on the paperwork to make it happen.
But your right after May of 86 it generated the 3 catagories of MGs and now a citizen can no longer manufacture a MG we must locate an expensive transferable MG unless your government or LEO or have a class 2 manufacturers license.

I have some old MG and SWAT typle magazines and some of the articles are amazing when reading them. All these companys talking about having your semis converted legally and turning it into an NFA weapon. Back then if you had a Chief who would give you a signoff you could spend 400 bucks and make your AR a full auto M16. 200 for the conversion (about what they charged) and 200 for the AFT tax stamp. Man I got into this 25 years too late. ha ha...

Rob

Last edited:
Law enforcement and military agencies can buy new guns which are post dealer samples.

Post dealer samples are for dealers who are attempting to sell to LE agencies. There are two problems with these:

#1: The dealer needs to get a letter requesting a demo from a LE agency to accept transfer of a dealer sample. Unless you are connected, chances are slim of getting such a letter - even in a green town. Departments don't tend to buy from one man basement FFLs, and are also not going to "play games" to help collectors get machine guns. An then, there is the $500/year SOT for being a Class III dealer.

#2: The post May dealer sample may not be transferred to the dealer's private collection upon going out of business and surrendering the Class III FFL.

The Hughes ammendment (black friday as they called it) basically said, no new MGs will be added to the registry for civilians. Only what is in there right now can be traded.

The Hughes ammendment (black friday as they called it) basically said, no new MGs will be added to the registry for civilians. Only what is in there right now can be traded.

The same think happened to carry permits in Papua New Guinnea a number of years ago. And no, I'm not making that up :)

Last edited:

Well.. On the upside, we all know that the nfa registry is 100% accurate.
It's not as if anybody would/ could go through all of the hoops (cosequently lose their orig stamp paperwork) and still be prosecuted..
At least we have that going for us..very reassurung!!

/ sarcasm mode off..

Something had to be done to curb that Machine Gun crime.

Mike

ha ha... I know your right Mike,

the funny thing is they pushed this thing through back in 86 and there was essentially 0% gun crime ever committed with a registered MG but these morons STILL felt the need to restrict them even with the incredible amount of paperwork, background/fingerprinting checking and signoffs required already.

man I get so annoyed with I think of all the crap legislation we get shoved down our throats through the years. When you add it all up it really shows how we are losing this battle. I dont know... as time goes on we take 2 steps forward and 4 back sometimes.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars that we still can even OWN MGs in the US and especially in MA.

Rob

As much as I think MGs are awesome, I would not want to feed the thing. There is only a fun factor that lasts until you have to reload the ammo and load the mags. The expense alone would be a bummer.

Best of luck though if it works for you.

As much as I think MGs are awesome, I would not want to feed the thing. There is only a fun factor that lasts until you have to reload the ammo and load the mags. The expense alone would be a bummer.

Best of luck though if it works for you.

I love shooting other people's MGs. I've very thankful to the very generous MG owners who've allowed me to try their stuff. That said, I don't plan to buy any because of the expense and because doing it more often just wouldn't be a prudent use of my limited ammo. That said, if my financial situation ever changes significantly for the better, I'll buy a ton of MGs to bring to NES shoots.[mg]

Also, if the Hughes amendment ever goes away I'll convert an AR or three just because I can. I expect a full auto version of the GSG5 would get built soon after repeal too, and no way I could resist that.

I have to agree with the above. If money were no object I would definitely pursue it, but more for the collector aspect.

As of now I am happy using the governments guns and ammunition. Besides, no civilian MG could match the Mark 19 automatic grenade launcher, and at $13.50+ a round, forget about feeding that.

Mike

I have to agree with the above. If money were no object I would definitely pursue it, but more for the collector aspect.

As of now I am happy using the governments guns and ammunition. Besides, no civilian MG could match the Mark 19 automatic grenade launcher, and at $13.50+ a round, forget about feeding that.

Mike

Try $213.50 / round in the private sector, since you have to pay a $200 destructive device stamp for each round.

Try $213.50 / round in the private sector, since you have to pay a $200 destructive device stamp for each round.

I so misread this as being 213 per round before the tax stamp.

Anyway, as a former MK.19 gunner, shooting at armor 1,500 meters away is fun as hell!
341mk19j25july06.jpg

This photo was taken at Camp Atterbury right after I scooted myself up from firing at the 1.5k for qualification. The 19 is still smoking in the photo (You'll notice it around the feed tray, which is empty) [rofl]

Last edited:
As much as I think MGs are awesome, I would not want to feed the thing. There is only a fun factor that lasts until you have to reload the ammo and load the mags...

I don't know I've been into MG's for quite some time, and the fun factor has not yet let up...Plus once you get a few MG's you have friends who volunteer to load your mags if you let them shoot too, so it all works out...

I have a soft-spot for the grease gun. That's just me...
I've had my Grease Gun since 1988. I'ts a dealer sample (post May) that set me back $200. It had no finish, lots of mileage on it and would run off the whole mag without stopping. I reground the sear, bead blasted it and had it reparked. Been working fine since then. I don't shoot it much, but like to bring it to the NES shoots for the members to have fun with. I imagine that the transferable ones are going for at least $13,000. The big problem with this gun is finding extractors. Mine broke and I had to buy a complete bolt/recoil ass'y for $150. Then I found a guy who had an original extractor for $90. There probably are no more. Something to think about if you are looking to aquire a Grease Gun. Jack.

I've had my Grease Gun since 1988. I'ts a dealer sample (post May) that set me back $200. It had no finish, lots of mileage on it and would run off the whole mag without stopping. I reground the sear, bead blasted it and had it reparked. Been working fine since then. I don't shoot it much, but like to bring it to the NES shoots for the members to have fun with. I imagine that the transferable ones are going for at least $13,000. The big problem with this gun is finding extractors. Mine broke and I had to buy a complete bolt/recoil ass'y for $150. Then I found a guy who had an original extractor for $90. There probably are no more. Something to think about if you are looking to aquire a Grease Gun. Jack.

How easy or difficult is it to machine new parts for broken machine guns in general? I imagine it depends on the part, but is there any rule of thumb?

Back
Top Bottom