Machine Gun Suggestions

How easy or difficult is it to machine new parts for broken machine guns in general? I imagine it depends on the part, but is there any rule of thumb?

I bold'd it for you because you answered your own question. I've had to have a few parts made here and there over the years, all depends on the complexity of the part and the skills/tools of the machinist...it can get pricey, so I (and I'd say most guys with MG's) buy spares when we find them whether we need them or not...

Thanks for the info. Can sears be re-made if broken, legally speaking?

Not if they are the registered part (like an HK sear) in a title 1 gun . If you had a registered HK receiver and that sear broke, you could replace it (as that is NOT the registered part).

Not if they are the registered part (like an HK sear) in a title 1 gun . If you had a registered HK receiver and that sear broke, you could replace it (as that is NOT the registered part).

BUT they can be repaired. I have never heard of any MG or registered part that wasn't able to be repaired. For the record, reg H&K sears are a very low wear/stress part. Most have many thousands of rounds through them with no signs of wear (like mine). Fire is what I worry about the most.

An UZI is great fun, but have you considered an American 180?

I'm thinking this might be the year that I jump into the full auto world. I figure My budget will be in the $7500 mark, and that is about as high as I want to go. I know that greatly limits my purchasing power but after doing some homework I've noticed that will get me into either the UZI, AC-556, or MAC markets. Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing that might be in that price point that is worth it?

I've got an UZI with both a 22 cal conversion and a 45 cal conversion, and a 9mm suppressor (with the suppressor and subsonic ammunition, you can hear the action), but my machine gun of choice is almost always my American 180 which is a 22 cal machine gun that holds up to 275 rounds. Machine guns can eat a lot of ammunition real quick and if you shoot much at all, it can get a bit expensive. With the American 180, I can buy 550 rounds of Federal ammunition for around $18.00, but the same amount of 9mm rounds would cost at least $125.00. Also, Val Cooper at E & L Manufacturing has plenty of parts available (that's really important) and, if all else fails, he will tune up an American 180 for $200.00 + parts. American 180s do have a bit of a reputation for being problematic, but if you keep them clean and lubricated, they work fine on a wide range of 22 ammunition.

I have an American 180 and it's a ball to shoot. I've spoken with Val Cooper several times and he's a great guy to deal with. The magazines take forever to load but ammo is cheap. I also use the Federal bulk pack. The only problem I see is the cost. I don't believe you'll get a transferable 180 for $7500.00. I think they're now closer to $9000.00.

American 180

I have an American 180 and it's a ball to shoot. I've spoken with Val Cooper several times and he's a great guy to deal with. The magazines take forever to load but ammo is cheap. I also use the Federal bulk pack. The only problem I see is the cost. I don't believe you'll get a transferable 180 for $7500.00. I think they're now closer to $9000.00.

Indeed, Val Cooper is a great guy who is incredibly knowledgeable about the American 180. While the price of American 180s is increasing, there is one available at the moment at D & D Guns (www.dndguns.com) for $7495.00 which does seem to be a bit of a bargain.
Also, have you used Val's loading tray and loading stand? After using them a few times, I've found that they make loading the mags a lot faster.

Last edited:
That's a great price for a transferable 180. I hope some one here jumps on it. I have the stand and tray and I must just be a clod because it still takes me just under 15 minutes to load the 177 round metal magazine. Emptying it is a fun 7 seconds though.

I have to agree with Securityboy. If you can get a 16 go for it. 100% worth every penny and the choices are endless for what you can swap out and do with it.

FYI there is a 16 on subguns for $9350 (cheapest one I've seen in a while)...not to "insult" the FNC, UZI, or AC556, but you will find the 16 well worth the extra $$$...

Back
Top Bottom