Machine Gun Suggestions

I'm thinking this might be the year that I jump into the full auto world. I figure My budget will be in the $7500 mark, and that is about as high as I want to go. I know that greatly limits my purchasing power but after doing some homework I've noticed that will get me into either the UZI, AC-556, or MAC markets. Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing that might be in that price point that is worth it?

Not current on the market - but if it is in the price range a HK MP5 would be sweet.(probably out of that range as the semi versions are pretty darn pricey themselves).

From what I've seen you could get a pair of MAC's for that price..... I've been debating on starting the MG license process, but honestly I really dont have or foresee the budget needed.

Not current on the market - but if it is in the price range a HK MP5 would be sweet.(probably out of that range as the semi versions are pretty darn pricey themselves).

Ya a nice mp5 will run you up near 15k. WAAAY outta my price point

From what I've seen you could get a pair of MAC's for that price..... I've been debating on starting the MG license process, but honestly I really dont have or foresee the budget needed.

It really isn't that difficult depending on your police chief. Where I lived at the time of application is was the same exact process as getting my LTC, but your right, you need a large budget to get 90% of the firearms in that genre.

Ya a nice mp5 will run you up near 15k. WAAAY outta my price point

It really isn't that difficult depending on your police chief. Where I lived at the time of application is was the same exact process as getting my LTC, but your right, you need a large budget to get 90% of the firearms in that genre.

I had never considered it until the frosty shoot. One-eyed Jack was kind enough to share a few of his SMG's.[devil] I was suprised when I started looking into it that the prices ranged from the 3k+ I had honestly expected them to be far more. To bad this years tax return wasnt as good as uncle Bama promised

I had never considered it until the frosty shoot. One-eyed Jack was kind enough to share a few of his SMG's.[devil] I was suprised when I started looking into it that the prices ranged from the 3k+ I had honestly expected them to be far more. To bad this years tax return wasnt as good as uncle Bama promised

Ya for the real premier stuff that everyone wants, the old ww2 machine guns and modern day HK stuff, you can pay huge dollars. It gets worse when you look at large caliber machine guns then you can go from 20k-50k. Someone once told me to see the largest collection of millionaires in one room go to a machine gun auction.

Ya for the real premier stuff that everyone wants, the old ww2 machine guns and modern day HK stuff, you can pay huge dollars. It gets worse when you look at large caliber machine guns then you can go from 20k-50k. Someone once told me to see the largest collection of millionaires in one room go to a machine gun auction.

I can only imagine what it costs to get into something beltfed, probably more than I made last year. I was drooling over a few of the MP5's on www.autoweapons.com such amazing machines

I've shot the Uzi, and I own a Mac. I never shot the AC556. I like the Uzi and the Mac. They are both very reliable and you can get a slow fire upper for the Mac. For that money there are a few more you can look at. Smith & Wesson 76, all the 76 clones, all models of the Stemple 7645, Sten, some M2 carbines, Reising 50, FNC and many of the tube guns such as the Suomi, Thompson and MP40. Take a look on Subguns.com

I'd be considering the price/availability of ammo along with the price of the gun. You can buy what is considered an affordable full auto and find its pricey to feed. Plus I've heard some guns won't run reliably on some commercial ammo because its underpowered.

I have been involved in full auto now for about 5 years. Right now I have an Uzi 9mm, MAC 10 .45, Ruger AC-556F and an M16. I love all of them. For a SMG I would go with the Uzi and if you want a rifle I would go with the Ruger AC556 if your on a budget. You can grab a Ruger for 5 to 6K if you look hard enough. An Uzi will run you around 6K or so also. The 16 will run you 10K or more depending on what you get. These are all approximations.

My opinion..... the Ruger AC-556 is a homerun. I have loved mine since day one and I will tell you that its still my absolute favorite. As long as you feed it with good factory Ruger magazines (not the aftermarket crap unless you know your stuff and what your gun will take) you will get some real good fun and pleasure out of it. Its a real robust, rugged and reliable weapon that is made by an excellent company that backs all their products.
Up until last month Ruger was working on the AC556 guns. They put out a statement last month and I spoke with a buddy up at Ruger in Newport, NH that says they are no longer working on the AC guns due to exhaustment of all parts of the weapon. Depending on the problem they may work on it but they are flat out of parts for the gun. Mine is a 1981 AC shorty folder and I sent it to Ruger a year ago for a tune up and they replaced a ton of parts and did not charge me a penny.

Either way you cant go wrong with an Uzi or the Ruger. The MAC is ok too because you can put all kinds of stuff on it like Lage slowfire conversions etc. but I prefer the Uzi over anything else. Also you can pretty much count on purchasing a .22 conversion kit for any of the full autos today as well. I have a .22 kit for my M16 and I love it. Cheap full auto fun. You can get one for the Uzi, Ruger or pretty much most MGs too if you want.

Here is my AC-556F and again.... its my favorite MG. Good luck in your search and if you ever need any help locating what you want or would like to try mine to see what suits your fancy let me know. Also check out "uzitalk.com, ar15.com" and of course the NFA section of this site.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/5150rob/001-2.jpg

one piece of advice.... dont ever start this MG hobby by saying.... I will only get just one and then I will be happy.... it will never happen.... you wont be able to stop. Its an addiction...

like a NFA buddy of mine always tells people.... "shooting semi auto is like having sex with your Wife or your Girlfriend.... shooting full auto is like having sex at the playboy mansion all night long." :) I mean no disrespect by this comment... I just always thought it was kind of funny. hold on................... needed to make sure my Wife was not reading over my shoulder. Ha ha....

good luck and let me know if you need anything during your search.

Rob

Last edited:
Why not buy a sp89 and enjoy it while you save for a registered sear? Shoot it for a year and save up the rest for the sear. sp89's run around 4k. 3500 or so should give you a good start on a sear. I have been doing a little reading on this myself and feel that is the way to go money wise unless money was not a issue.

I have been involved in full auto now for about 5 years. Right now I have an Uzi 9mm, MAC 10 .45, Ruger AC-556F and an M16. I love all of them. For a SMG I would go with the Uzi and if you want a rifle I would go with the Ruger AC556 if your on a budget. You can grab a Ruger for 5 to 6K if you look hard enough. An Uzi will run you around 6K or so also. The 16 will run you 10K or more depending on what you get. These are all approximations.

My opinion..... the Ruger AC-556 is a homerun. I have loved mine since day one and I will tell you that its still my absolute favorite. As long as you feed it with good factory Ruger magazines (not the aftermarket crap unless you know your stuff and what your gun will take) you will get some real good fun and pleasure out of it. Its a real robust, rugged and reliable weapon that is made by an excellent company that backs all their products.
Up until last month Ruger was working on the AC556 guns. They put out a statement last month and I spoke with a buddy up at Ruger in Newport, NH that says they are no longer working on the AC guns due to exhaustment of all parts of the weapon. Depending on the problem they may work on it but they are flat out of parts for the gun. Mine is a 1981 AC shorty folder and I sent it to Ruger a year ago for a tune up and they replaced a ton of parts and did not charge me a penny.

Either way you cant go wrong with an Uzi or the Ruger. The MAC is ok too because you can put all kinds of stuff on it like Lage slowfire conversions etc. but I prefer the Uzi over anything else. Also you can pretty much count on purchasing a .22 conversion kit for any of the full autos today as well. I have a .22 kit for my M16 and I love it. Cheap full auto fun. You can get one for the Uzi, Ruger or pretty much most MGs too if you want.

Here is my AC-556F and again.... its my favorite MG. Good luck in your search and if you ever need any help locating what you want or would like to try mine to see what suits your fancy let me know. Also check out "uzitalk.com, ar15.com" and of course the NFA section of this site.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/5150rob/001-2.jpg

one piece of advice.... dont ever start this MG hobby by saying.... I will only get just one and then I will be happy.... it will never happen.... you wont be able to stop. Its an addiction...

like a NFA buddy of mine always tells people.... "shooting semi auto is like having sex with your Wife or your Girlfriend.... shooting full auto is like having sex at the playboy mansion all night long." :) I mean no disrespect by this comment... I just always thought it was kind of funny. hold on................... needed to make sure my Wife was not reading over my shoulder. Ha ha....

good luck and let me know if you need anything during your search.

Rob

I've really been looking at the AC-556 for a while, I have a mini 14 and love that gun (even though I haven't fired it yet [laugh]) It just feels like a really rugged gun. You mentioned that they (ruger) aren't working on the guns anymore, is this a permanent thing or just until they get more parts made? Is this also because the guns tend to wear out a lot of parts fast? I wouldn't want to buy something that wears out and becomes useless.

Only thing about the UZI is that I stand to inherit a cherry one of these, so I don't know if for the time being I want to buy one only two end up with two. What a problem to have huh? [laugh] As for addiction. Tell me about it I'm already addicted to semi-auto EBR's so I know this could only be worse!

You mentioned that they (ruger) aren't working on the guns anymore, is this a permanent thing or just until they get more parts made? Is this also because the guns tend to wear out a lot of parts fast? I wouldn't want to buy something that wears out and becomes useless.

this is a permanent thing not a temporary one. They dont make the AC556 anymore (production stopped in 2004) and have been running low on parts for this gun ever since. Ruger has no plans to release this gun in the future nor do they have plans to manufacture any more parts for it either. It will be hit or miss. They will accept the weapon for service but may not have the parts. Now that being said dont forget... there are a lot of parts in the AC556 that are consistent with the mini 14 (bolts, recoil springs, guide rods etc) so a lot of basic problems can and will be able to be fixed by Ruger but when you start dealing with selector issues or are looking for 13 short barrels for the F series guns they wont be able to help you. I suggest if you get the Ruger get a parts kit for it. I did. It ran about 550. Worth having. Now all that being said.... dont worry about it. Nothing is going to go bad on the gun that you cant replace yourself unless its a barrel or something like that and even in that case there are many, many NFA people out there that will work on ACs. Ruger was just a sure bet because it was all covered under warrantee.
The Ruger is a good choice in my opinion. If I could just have one... it would be my Ruger AC-556. Rugged, good looking and fun weapon. Plus the .22 kits work awesome but in a lot of them you have to use the CCI mini mag ammo because its the only .22 ammo that has enough power to cycle the heavy rifle hammer springs.
Rob

Last edited:
My suggestion for buying MG's is and always will be, buy the most expensive MG you can afford at that time, because they will only be "even more expensive". If you have $7500, find something that you like for $7500. In that price range of what you listed I'd go FNC (or vector Mini Uzi). However I have a "more better" suggestion if you have $7500, the MG market is fairly "soft" right now, if you hunt around you should be able to find an M16 in the upper $9K area, I'd try to scrape my pennies together (and start selling you semi's, cuz you wont shoot them anymore anyway) and get a 16...

ha ha...

I have to agree with Securityboy. If you can get a 16 go for it. 100% worth every penny and the choices are endless for what you can swap out and do with it.

However I still will tell you that if you can find an AC556 you wont be dissapointed either.

What does an MP40 or MP38 go for? Watching Hogan's Heroes as a kid, I always wanted one.

Suomi submachine gun - I had the chance to shoot one in NH several years back and I liked it the most next to the H&K mp5.

Yikes, I just checked and that one is around $7500. OMG - those have gone up a lot in the past 8 yrs !!!!!!! Holy cow ! [shocked]

Of the ones you list, I'd go Uzi.

Others in your price range might be an FN FNC or an M2 carbine.
I agree on the Uzi. I thought I'd read about problems with FNCs breaking parts and not being able to find replacements, but I might be delusional.

M2 would be cool, but given the price of .30 Carbine ammo, I'd go with an Uzi.

If you have a valid MG license why can't you register a lower as a MG and modify it to be select fire, like you can to be a SBR?

Mike

Because the FOPA of 1986 prohibited the mfg of any new MGs (hence the high prices)
I likr the UZI or M-16 for sheer versatility. 2 best websites to buy/sell mgs:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/?db=nfafirearms&category=All+Items+in+this+Category&query=category&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines

http://sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi

What's the point,you aren't going to shoot it.

Get a semi to look at instead,it would be a lot cheaper to stare at than a MG.

Are you referencing my AK-47 thread [wink] I sir will most definitely take a machine gun shooting as much as my wallet would allow me! Something about the sound and feeling of power just holding em makes me want one, or two, or three or.....BAD!

Do you reload?

I don't. Why do you ask?

Back
Top Bottom