MA State Defense Force

Have they been trying to re-inflate for GWOT? I know the USMC has been growing steadily and has gone from 175,000 in 2005 to around 202,000 currently. That still hasn't stopped a few thousand recalls and some MOS specific stop loss orders, though.

No, but I was under the impression (possibly incorrect) that the guard has spent much more time mobilized and much less time available for state issues since around the same time as the stop loss programs started.

If I had to guess I would say that in modern times a typical guard soldier will spend 1/4 to 1/3 of there time in the guard active and deployed to a mission.

What are you talking about? There isnt a single soldier who joins the guard thats under the assumption that they will not be deployed becuase they are home "protecting america" or whatever people here have been trying to say so far. The guard has had an active role in basicly ever major conflict/war since it was created.
Deployments in the guard is not some post 9/11 event.

I don't have nearly your military knowledge, but from my reading it seems that in every war from the Civil War on up to today National Guard units (even before they were called that) have been front line soldiers. I have some friends who were in the MNG went to Iraq for desert storm. It seems that too many people have bought the lie fostered by the left during the Bush Administration that using the guard for active combat operations was contrary to their purpose.

This is what happens when you cut the Active Army from 18 Divisions to 10.

Thank you Bill Clinton. Who apparently confused the fall of the Soviet Union with the end for the need for a strong national defense.

No, but I was under the impression (possibly incorrect) that the guard has spent much more time mobilized and much less time available for state issues since around the same time as the stop loss programs started.

As above. They are here for state issues unless a national issue takes precedence. Which it did in 1991 and has since 2001.

Do I need to go find your old avatar picture of the guy in the life jacket, or the picture of the guy with the guts of his AK mag spilled out?

Captain Boo-Yah (life jacket) was recently posted in the Nigeran shotgun thread.

I can send you both, AND the fruitloop in the Cher wig, if you'd like.

Why would anyone want to serve the state?

1) God
2) Family
3) "tribe"

I serve them in that order.

F the state.

... it appears that it is mostly to assist in disasters / community service. anyone have any info on it or know what the timeframe will be when they will begin recruiting?

Want to help with disasters? Check out your local CERT. Read this post, and find the CERT link in there.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ing-at-U.S.-Focus-on-Terrorism?highlight=cert

National Site:
Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)

Another group:
The American Civil Defense Association

There is even an outfit for animal lovers:
Central Massachusetts Disaster Animal Response Team

When I was in tne National Guard, the State Guard would play OPFOR. I remember they dressed up in Swiss surplus camoflage, carrying M-16's with blanks, and they were transported around Camp Edwards in a WW2 duece half truck. Maybe somebody here who served remember that.

I would join to play OPFOR in the woods and have the pride of being in uniform again.

I'm involved in my community through my church, so that's covered.

I think this is the beginning of Obama's 'brown shirts' he promised in his campaign....

'A national civilian defense force equally manned and equally funded as the military....'

A VERY BAD idea. Each state already has the capacity and authorization to staff for FEMA type emergencies. This is just blatant government (Democrat employee) expansion, intended to further extend control over the people.

I think this is the beginning of Obama's 'brown shirts' he promised in his campaign....

'A national civilian defense force equally manned and equally funded as the military....'

A VERY BAD idea. Each state already has the capacity and authorization to staff for FEMA type emergencies. This is just blatant government (Democrat employee) expansion, intended to further extend control over the people.

While I have no use for these organized state militias, they are neither new (Ohio's had them for the better part of 100 years) nor capable of being taken under federal control (at least not legally).

Howdy. I know I'm new here, but do you guy's think the state guard thing is really that bad? I would think that members of the state guard would be closer to your ideals. If anything, they would not comply with order's if they thought they would be against the citizenry. Since they are volunteers, they would probably opt to stay home. Just my two cents.

I still think playing OPFOR would be fun, plus the training would be great for the National Guardmen ready to deploy. Sounds like a win-win.

Back
Top Bottom