MA says CCW in MA state parks.

I think that's specific to Boston Harbor Islands. It doesn't mention anything about firearms at the other sites I checked.

Its a state run campground inside of a state park.
The campground has the rule, not the park.

The campground can do what it wants.

Its a state run campground inside of a state park.
The campground has the rule, not the park.

The campground can do what it wants.

The question at hand is "can the declaration of a rule make violation of said rule a criminal offense?"

From past experience when I have CCed while camping, the gun spends most of it's time locked in the car. I spend most of my time drinking or swimming while camping, so the only time it comes out is when we are going to bed. Get a car safe for about $30 and just leave it locked up under the seat.

ETA: Places that have rules in place designed to disarm me don't get my business as a rule with very few exceptions.

Last edited:
The question at hand is "can the declaration of a rule make violation of said rule a criminal offense?"

I have been told that the answer is no. For example, guns are prohibited in Fenway Park. If they find you with a gun in the park they can ask you to leave but that's it. If you refuse to leave they can arrest you for trespassing but that's it. Of course if your chief hears that you have been caught carrying in Fenway you may now be unsuitable.....

That is why open carry in MA is a bad idea - your Chief could easily use it to make you unsuitable.

I have zero concern my Chief would make me unsuitable for carrying in Fenway Park though, unless I was drunk and arrested for causing trouble which would not happen as I neither drink nor cause trouble. But just for having a CCW there? No way. Look at that guy beaten in CA after a sports game. He is still in the hospital six months later.

From past experience when I have CCed while camping, the gun spends most of it's time locked in the car. I spend most of my time drinking or swimming while camping, so the only time it comes out is when we are going to bed. Get a car safe for about $30 and just leave it locked up under the seat.
That's not going to do you a lot of good out on the Harbor Islands unless own your own landing craft. [laugh]

There are still 2 sets of CMR's for the Boston Harbor Islands. Depends on which Island (old DEM or MDC). Neither CMR appears to prohibit firearms and actually allow hunting per the Colonial Ordinances. The DEM rules allow for possesion of firearms and the MDC rules prohibit firearms unless authorized by license or permit.
Someone is making up their own rules with no basis in the CMR's.

The state specifies a handful of places that it is illegal to possess a firearm, everywhere else can post signs saying that firearms are not allowed but all they can do is ask you to leave or they call the cops whom ask you to leave. Refusing to leave can get you arrested for trespassing but if you are asked to leave and comply, you are still a law abiding citizen and have committed no crime. As said above, concealed means concealed and the majority of places don't have metal detectors, so if no one sees it you are in the clear.

Curtis

The Boston Harbor Islands that are open to camping are operated and controlled by the Mass. DCR. Peddock's and Lovell's are former MDC and come under 350CMR2.00. Bumpkin, Grape and Slate are former DEM and come under 304CMR12.00.
The Federal Rules do not apply. These are State owned islands.

Services & Amenities:
Within Facility
Hunting

[snip]
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all our campers:

Alcoholic beverages, firearms, fireworks, and pets are not allowed on the Boston Harbor Islands.

Makes about as much sense as any other Massachusetts law. [rolleyes]

Resurrecting a slightly old thread. Was planning a visit to Spectacle Island so called their number. Here is what the lady said,
- the harbor islands aren't federal land, operated in partnership, so federal laws are trumped by state/local. Supposedly Georges Island is wholly owned by MA, Spectacle is a little state, little Boston...
- there isn't any law that prohibits firearms. But as she said use common sense.
- ferry is operated by private party so they may have their own rules (there was no contact no & I don't see why I need to call & alert them).

So, all in all, I'd think ok to carry as long as you are following state law, ie have a concealed carry permit, especially one without restrictions. Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

That's why I choose to not give my business to MA state parks. VT has very reasonable gun laws, and their state parks are top-notch.

The gun laws in VT state parks basically say that you can carry, just don't do it openly so as not to cause a disturbance with other campers. And then as far as discharge, you can't discharge in the campground which is fine with me.

And I checked this with their state office as well as the guy in charge of the campground where I stay.

Last edited:
Quote from FAQ on the Harbor Islands:
PROHIBITED ITEMS & ACTIONS

Q: May I bring my pets (dogs) to the islands? Pets are restricted in the park to foster visitor safety and resource protection. Dogs are welcomed at Deer and Nut Islands, Worlds End, and Webb Memorial (peninsulas accessible by car only). Day visitors may bring dogs to Bumpkin and Grape Islands, though not in camping areas. No pets are allowed on other islands in the park. Service dogs are permitted on all islands.

Dogs must be on leash at all times. Owners are responsible for removing dog waste: Remember, carry-on, carry-off. Boat captains have discretion to deny passage of any dog (or person!) for safety.

Q: May I bike or rollerblade on the islands? Many of the islands’ paths are well-worn trails and are not meant for high-paced activities. Bicycle riding and rollerblading are not permitted on the islands however you may bike or rollerblade on any of the four peninsula areas.

Q: Is alcohol allowed? Use of alcohol by individuals and groups is prohibited at the Boston Harbor Islands, unless part of a park event that holds a liquor permit. In general, visitors may not bring alcohol to the islands.

Q: What else is not allowed in the park? Amplified music, fireworks, and fires above the high tide line are not permitted on any island in the park. Rangers should be consulted if you have any questions or concerns.

Doesn't mention firearms.

Back
Top Bottom