MA Private Tranfer to a NH Resident

Does anyone know the process of tranfering a shotgun from MA to NH. The shotgun was my uncle's and when he passed away, the local PD took it. A friend at the local PD told me to come in to do a transfer and I could have it. I did that and I have had it since. I want to give it to one of my other uncles (his brother) in NH. Do I use a MA private transfer or a NH? Does anyone know? Thanks.

You cannot do a private transfer. You have to use an FFL. Further, due to MA law, a MA dealer cannot transfer it to a NH resident. So your only real choice is to take it to a NH FFL and have them do the transfer.

You cannot do a private transfer. You have to use an FFL. Further, due to MA law, a MA dealer cannot transfer it to a NH resident. So your only real choice is to take it to a NH FFL and have them do the transfer.

Just for clarity, this only applies to outgoing transfers between MA and elsewhere sane (not NY, MA, CT, MD, CA, etc...), correct? If I was a NH resident transferring to say a VT resident a shotgun or other long gun (handguns are different, I know) I would not have to go through a FFL for that, correct?

Just for clarity, this only applies to outgoing transfers between MA and elsewhere sane (not NY, MA, CT, MD, CA, etc...), correct? If I was a NH resident transferring to say a VT resident a shotgun or other long gun (handguns are different, I know) I would not have to go through a FFL for that, correct?

No. Even between "free" states you would still have to use an FFL if the buyer and seller are not residents of the same state.

-Mike

No, sorry. It's a federal law (18 USC 44 § 922(5)). You cannot transfer a firearm of any type to a resident of another state unless you (or they) have a Federal Firearms License. Even with the FFL, there are still restrictions on what you can and cannot do.

Nope. Federal law prohibits interstate and out-of-state private FTF firearms transactions. MA law is what requires the particular situation you're looking at be done in NH.

No. Under federal law interstate transfers must involve an FFL.

Much obliged. I mistakenly thought that only applied to handguns.

Under federal law, you can buy and transfer a long gun from:

- a private party in your state of residence
- an FFL in any state.

Under federal law, you can buy and transfer a handgun from:

- a private party in your state of residence
- an FFL in your state of residence.

Note that while you can buy a handgun from an FFL in a different state, that FFL must transfer the handgun to an FFL in your state of residence who will then transfer it to you.

Back
Top Bottom