MA AR Build?

Hey there,
First time poster, and hoping some of ya'll might have some useful insight - I live near Springfield MA (not saying which town) and I am looking into building an AR-style hunting rifle. I am acutely aware of the AWB and wish to stay within legal guidelines (damn you Commie-chusetts) BUT I dont want to pin the magazine. I was looking into other work-arounds and saw a grip/stock combo that is not a pistol grip nor is it telescopic/folding [ " Thordsen FRS-15 Gen III Featureless Stock with Enhanced Buffer Tube Cover Black 4300QB " ]

If I were to pull the trigger (pun intended) on buying the parts (upper, lower, etc) and putting them together, would this meet the guidelines?

there is such a thing as a fixed capacity receiver. I'll update this when I find out who does them.
Start here: Our Staff | JM Armorer Services and Pistol Instruction | D.B.A. JM Instruction, LLC
Screw that fixed mag shit

OP wants a hunting rifle so that puts fixed mag in play but why go there when it's cheap and easy to comply in other ways.
Fixed or pinned stock and a pinned muzzle device or unthreaded barrel (better) will comply without having to mess with crazy magazine loading tools

Screw that fixed mag shit

OP wants a hunting rifle so that puts fixed mag in play but why go there when it's cheap and easy to comply in other ways.
Fixed or pinned stock and a pinned muzzle device or unthreaded barrel (better) will comply without having to mess with crazy magazine loading tools
[frown] I'm schooled

Fixed mags have a place where that's the only path in non-US locations like California
Mass might join Cali in a successful secession like Cali once the gun bill comes out of the closet but for now stay as close to freedom as you can
Yeah, thats precisely why I have started looking into this so that way if the tides start turning I can have something before the changes kick in and have something grandfather'd in

I mean, yes, but why not just use a standard stock? If you're not aiming for a collapsible option, there is no need to worry past that point, assuming you weren't going to add a flash suppressor or bayonet mount.
From my understanding, you can only have 2 "evil features" on the rifle; pistol grip, telescoping/collapsible/ folding stock, Barrel Comp, Bayonet lug, Grenade Launcher (f***, I wish). So out of those items which I can only have 2 of, I really want a changeable magazine and options for barrel flash hider/compensators. The way I see it, if I get the option I linked above that knocks out pistol grip and stock, allowing me to have the magazine and barrel end options

there is such a thing as a fixed capacity receiver. I'll update this when I find out who does them.
Start here: Our Staff | JM Armorer Services and Pistol Instruction | D.B.A. JM Instruction, LLC
So I dont want to have a fixed magazine (if possible) which is why (from my understanding of the verbiage) you can only have 2 of the "evil features" - pistol grip, telescoping/collapsible/ folding stock, removable magazine, Barrel Comp, Bayonet lug, Grenade Launcher

I wish to keep removable magazine (so I can add pre-ban mags if I find any), and be able to swap out barrel compensators.

From my understanding, you can only have 2 "evil features" on the rifle; pistol grip, telescoping/collapsible/ folding stock, Barrel Comp, Bayonet lug, Grenade Launcher (f***, I wish). So out of those items which I can only have 2 of, I really want a changeable magazine and options for barrel flash hider/compensators. The way I see it, if I get the option I linked above that knocks out pistol grip and stock, allowing me to have the magazine and barrel end options

If a muzzle attachment is one of the evil features, I would take telescoping stock over it, without question. Especially because you can’t have a flash hider. So, you’re limited to muzzle break which to me is an awful idea on a 5.56 gun. I’d rather just have a non threaded barrel.

But an adjustable stock is really nice to have for shooting in different positions, especially with a magnified optic that has limited eye relief, and it’s nice to be able to adjust for what you are wearing in terms of kit or clothing.

How often are you going to change out the muzzle device, especially on a hunting rifle?
All of the hand grip deletes I've seen just plain suck so you will be giving up comfort for pretty much nothing

If a muzzle attachment is one of the evil features, I would take telescoping stock over it, without question. Especially because you can’t have a flash hider. So, you’re limited to muzzle break which to me is an awful idea on a 5.56 gun. I’d rather just have a non threaded barrel.

But an adjustable stock is really nice to have for shooting in different positions, especially with a magnified optic that has limited eye relief, and it’s nice to be able to adjust for what you are wearing in terms of kit or clothing.
Problem is, if I go "normal" stock, and removable magazine, I can't have a pistol grip, and I'm having a helluva time finding a decent non-pistol-grip, so I figured I'd 2 birds one stone with the AIO grip/stock combo, but you make some valid points. Any insight?

How often are you going to change out the muzzle device, especially on a hunting rifle?
All of the hand grip deletes I've seen just plain suck so you will be giving up comfort for pretty much nothing
Probably not very often, but having the option *to* swap it out seems like a nice thing to have. Especially if I eventually want to submit a Form 1 and get a suppressor (if allowed)

From what I gather though, the problem seems if I go "normal" stock, and removable magazine, I can't have a pistol grip, and I'm having a helluva time finding a decent non-pistol-grip, so I figured I'd 2 birds one stone with the AIO grip/stock combo, but you make some valid points. Ya know?

I mean, yes, but why not just use a standard stock? If you're not aiming for a collapsible option, there is no need to worry past that point, assuming you weren't going to add a flash suppressor or bayonet mount.
Problem is, if I go "normal" stock, and removable magazine, I can't have a pistol grip, and I'm having a helluva time finding a decent non-pistol-grip, so I figured I'd 2 birds one stone with the AIO grip/stock combo

Problem is, if I go "normal" stock, and removable magazine, I can't have a pistol grip, and I'm having a helluva time finding a decent non-pistol-grip, so I figured I'd 2 birds one stone with the AIO grip/stock combo, but you make some valid points. Any insight?

I really don’t know the law in MA regarding these. I was just trying to comment on which out of those specific two features that were mentioned I thought were more important.

That said, the top two most important for me out of all of them would be pistol grip and detachable magazine. I’d pin a telescoping stock in a position that works acceptably in various shooting positions, and I’d skip the muzzle device. Unless I could find a “muzzle brake”. That actually hides flash and doesn’t behave as a muzzle brake. If not, then I would pass on the muzzle device.

Problem is, if I go "normal" stock, and removable magazine, I can't have a pistol grip, and I'm having a helluva time finding a decent non-pistol-grip, so I figured I'd 2 birds one stone with the AIO grip/stock combo
Retro stock, fixed(adjustable) or pinned is not a feature so you can have both a removeable mag and handgrip

I really don’t know the law in MA regarding these. I was just trying to comment on which out of those specific two features that were mentioned I thought were more important.

That said, the top two most important for me out of all of them would be pistol grip and detachable magazine. I’d pin a telescoping stock in a position that works acceptably in various shooting positions, and I’d skip the muzzle device. Unless I could find a “muzzle brake”. That actually hides flash and doesn’t behave as a muzzle brake. If not, then I would pass on the muzzle device.
These work extremely well but look tacti-stupid - difference between having the redirector on and off is huge.

Probably not very often, but having the option *to* swap it out seems like a nice thing to have. Especially if I eventually want to submit a Form 1 and get a suppressor (if allowed)

From what I gather though, the problem seems if I go "normal" stock, and removable magazine, I can't have a pistol grip, and I'm having a helluva time finding a decent non-pistol-grip, so I figured I'd 2 birds one stone with the AIO grip/stock combo, but you make some valid points. Ya know?
Hearing protection is self-help and that's not allowed in Mass - No suppressors, period.

I would just build the AR and not pin the muzzle device..

To my knowledge and IANAL, the AWB says "no flash hider".. there are those more knowledgeable than I am, saying it has to be pinned/welded to make it legal according to ATF/federal rules, but I never saw anything in MGL saying it had to be pinned/welded.

what's your risk factor? IMHO, to get jammed up on an unpinned muzzle brake or compensator, you have to be in a lot more hot water on other legal issues.

I would just build the AR and not pin the muzzle device..

To my knowledge and IANAL, the AWB says "no flash hider".. there are those more knowledgeable than I am, saying it has to be pinned/welded to make it legal according to ATF/federal rules, but I never saw anything in MGL saying it had to be pinned/welded.

what's your risk factor? IMHO, to get jammed up on an unpinned muzzle brake or compensator, you have to be in a lot more hot water on other legal issues.
Touché

Yeah, maybe I will get a stock and pin it to a good place for me as those are important, and I was really dreading a fixed stock/grip combo for those reasons but couldn't really see a way around it otherwise. I appreciate your input đź‘Ť

Hey there,
First time poster, and hoping some of ya'll might have some useful insight - I live near Springfield MA (not saying which town) and I am looking into building an AR-style hunting rifle. I am acutely aware of the AWB and wish to stay within legal guidelines (damn you Commie-chusetts) BUT I dont want to pin the magazine. I was looking into other work-arounds and saw a grip/stock combo that is not a pistol grip nor is it telescopic/folding [ " Thordsen FRS-15 Gen III Featureless Stock with Enhanced Buffer Tube Cover Black 4300QB " ]

If I were to pull the trigger (pun intended) on buying the parts (upper, lower, etc) and putting them together, would this meet the guidelines?

What is this AWB you speak of 🤔

Just get a Mini-14

Back
Top Bottom