• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Cannon license

How many people hear actually have a cannon with a bore large enough to require the licence in MA?? At last check many years ago there was only one person doing the licence and it was done somewhere near boston, in one of the parks, It is mostly you demonstrating to the cannoneer, how to properly store and handle powder charges, before and during firing, the safe loading, using the worm, wet mopping dry mopping etc.... on a bigger gun it is a two man job, I don't think this cert is gonna get anyone laid.

If I was seriously looking for someone, look to the local revolutionary war reenactor groups in MA, they use cannons in the reenactments, many on public land and parks and I'm sure their credentials are checked

Last edited:
Ok, so no promises but I have a friend who knows a few folks with cannons in ma who are rev war re-enactors.
He says you usually need to serve on the cannon crew to get your endorsement.
He’s gonna ask around and see if anyone is interested in taking out their cannon & teaching a class, and giving us some time on the crew to receive an endorsement.
I’ll keep y’all posted if this works out.

My wife has been "joking" about putting a cannon in our front yard for ages. I finally told her that it's possible but we'd need cannoneer licenses. To my surprise, she replied that we should look into that and hopefully actually get a real front yard cannon.

So yeah, we're in for a class for sure.

Definitely seems like fun. Is there a rulebook or manual that we can download to study for the test?

Definitely seems like fun. Is there a rulebook or manual that we can download to study for the test?
yes, look for a book called "The More Complete Cannoneer" everything you need to know, a cannon is a crew served weapon and should require at least 3 people to man and shoot safely, taking about a full size cannon hear, that last time I looked into the licence (around 2003) a class was not needed, the individual who wanted the licence needed to demonstrate the manual of arms, and proper loading to a licenced cannoneer to get his endorsement,

Think of the sparks and embers a half pound change of cannon powder will put off when fired, where are your other charges stored? Are there smoldering embers in the barrel when you are attempting to reload, when you swab the barrel dose someone have their thumb on the fuse hole? if not you are just fanning those embers with the air being drawn in and out, when you swab and load are standing to the side, is your loading ram tapered to the muzzle end, all stuff like that is what the book covers, I bought the book many years ago, may be out of print now, the ifo in it hasn't changed much in a couple hundred years, graybeardoutdoors.com has a good sub forum devoted to cannons and cannon building

Amazon product ASIN B00450JSH2View: https://www.amazon.com/More-Complete-Cannoneer-M-Switlik/dp/B00450JSH2

I'm interested in obtaining the MA license to shoot cannons and mortars, mostly for fun. It requires an endorsement from a current cannoneer. There was one guy who advertised a training program that netted you the endorsement (and relieved you of $250, but I can't fault him). His email, however, no longer works.

Do we have any members here who have a license and would be willing to pay it forward? Do you have any tips for finding current licensees?
Only in Mass

How many people hear actually have a cannon with a bore large enough to require the licence in MA?? At last check many years ago there was only one person doing the licence and it was done somewhere near boston, in one of the parks, It is mostly you demonstrating to the cannoneer, how to properly store and handle powder charges, before and during firing, the safe loading, using the worm, wet mopping dry mopping etc.... on a bigger gun it is a two man job, I don't think this cert is gonna get anyone laid.

If I was seriously looking for someone, look to the local revolutionary war reenactor groups in MA, they use cannons in the reenactments, many on public land and parks and I'm sure their credentials are checked

I know of a few, including myself, though I no longer qualify for it.

I "heard" of a case in the Worcester area where someone set off a cannon several times one Independence Day a few years ago. A nearby fire chief stopped in to suggest they knock it off or the next boom he'd send to fuzz to the location. Apparently they were hunting for the source of the noise...

I "heard" of a case in the Worcester area where someone set off a cannon several times one Independence Day a few years ago. A nearby fire chief stopped in to suggest they knock it off or the next boom he'd send to fuzz to the location. Apparently they were hunting for the source of the noise...
Reminds me of the dog that finally caught the car,
and didn't know what to do with it.

What were the Fire Chief's plans for addressing an artillery emplacement?

I know of a few, including myself, though I no longer qualify for it.

On independence day..... what an a**h***, I would of brought out the small bore barrel and kept firing all day

I'm looking for an endorsement from a MA licensed cannon operator with 5+ years on their license (per the MA requirement). Anyone know someone who fits the bill?

Its been awhile since I posted this - UPDATE - I now have my MA Cannon license!!!!

Oh and I have heard that Gloucester has a working cannon now. She was restored from one of the cannons (not an original) from Old Ironsides. **UPDATE - the cannon is a replica the US Navy gifted to Gloucester, it was not from Old Ironsides. Sorry for the confusion.

View: https://archive.org/details/catvma-Gloucester_400_Firing_of_The_Parrott_Cannon

:cool:

Last edited:
Congrats! Seems like the endorsement is the difficult part to nail down. I have to ask- did someone end up setting up a class? This is definitely something I'd love to take part in. Wish I had caught this thread and subscribed to it last year!

Yeah if you could share who you took the class with that would be great. I still haven't found anyone.

Last edited:
I have a Cannon but no license. The hard part as you figured out is the endorsement from someone who already has the license. We need to talk :)
Interesting how gun safety rules have been suspended.

Just imagine if someone fired a conventional gun loaded with blanks in the direction of a crowd as part of display. Ooops, nevermind, Baldwin already has that one covered.

Last edited:
There is no class needed. Well, at least in my opinion, there doesn't need to be a class. Self study, memorize a few rules/laws and take the test.

Oh, yeah that pesky sponsor sign off thing. Thats going to be the hardest part. Here's what I have learned/understand - you need your application signed off by an active license holder who has more than 5 years since they took their test. So, sorry folks, Please wait another 4.6 years before asking me for my sign off.

The DFS MA website has links, or suggestions on what things to study. I think when I printed out my stuff it was about 20 pages, total. So not much. The thing is to study, read some more, study again.

The tests are only given like 6-10 times per year in Stow headquarters.

There is a database you can look up who is licensed in your neck of the woods. You would have to reach out to them. Go have coffee with them and seek their signature. Send in your completed application (mine got sent back because it wasn't complete. I had hoped to send in the other half later, but before the test, and it got sent back to me).

Find someone with a cannon/mortar license by checking out Verification

Details on what you need to apply here Apply for a License to Shoot Cannon and Mortars

Download the application here https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/08/08/FP-082 Application for Cannon Mortar Cert. of Comp.pdf

As for the test. It was about 35ish questions, mostly multiple choice, some were true/false questions. Some were tricky with asking if the MA Law is found in section 4.1.3.4 or is it 4.3.1.4 or could it be 4.1.1.3 ... that type of stuff.

and yeah the guy who signed my sponsor form is now retired and doesn't want to be bothered anymore. sorry.

Last edited:
There is no class needed. Well, at least in my opinion, there doesn't need to be a class. Self study, memorize a few rules/laws and take the test.

Oh, yeah that pesky sponsor sign off thing. Thats going to be the hardest part. Here's what I have learned/understand - you need your application signed off by an active license holder who has more than 5 years since they took their test. So, sorry folks, Please wait another 4.6 years before asking me for my sign off.

The DFS MA website has links, or suggestions on what things to study. I think when I printed out my stuff it was about 20 pages, total. So not much. The thing is to study, read some more, study again.

The tests are only given like 6-10 times per year in Stow headquarters.

There is a database you can look up who is licensed in your neck of the woods. You would have to reach out to them. Go have coffee with them and seek their signature. Send in your completed application (mine got sent back because it wasn't complete. I had hoped to send in the other half later, but before the test, and it got sent back to me).

Find someone with a cannon/mortar license by checking out Verification

Details on what you need to apply here Apply for a License to Shoot Cannon and Mortars

Download the application here https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/08/08/FP-082 Application for Cannon Mortar Cert. of Comp.pdf

As for the test. It was about 35ish questions, mostly multiple choice, some were true/false questions. Some were tricky with asking if the MA Law is found in section 4.1.3.4 or is it 4.3.1.4 or could it be 4.1.1.3 ... that type of stuff.

and yeah the guy who signed my sponsor form is now retired and doesn't want to be bothered anymore. sorry.

The link to VERIFICATION above is updated frequently. Its wicked easy to search for a licensed Cannon/Mortar holder.

First use the drop down for Profession: to include "DFS General License" then the drop down under Profession is License Type: Here select Cannon/Mortar. Then scroll up to the search button.

The current list is about 332 names, with town and state listed. Find one close to you that is NOT expired or Null. Then click on their name link to view their details. You need someone who has more than 5 years from the issue date to the expiration date. Then use your favorite search engine to try to locate their address, phone, or email contact. Be nice, they may respond ;-)

Attached is an excel file with the latest names on the list. But no personal contact details.

Attachments

• 8June2022 Cannon License List.xlsx
    75.5 KB · Views: 15
Typical MA, asking irrelevant sh*t.

Its been awhile since I posted this - UPDATE - I now have my MA Cannon license!!!!

Oh and I have heard that Gloucester has a working cannon now. She was restored from one of the cannons (not an original) from Old Ironsides. **UPDATE - the cannon is a replica the US Navy gifted to Gloucester, it was not from Old Ironsides. Sorry for the confusion.

View: https://archive.org/details/catvma-Gloucester_400_Firing_of_The_Parrott_Cannon

:cool:

I can say that there were several safety violations during the loading of the cannon. First of all, the rammer should be wearing heavy welder-type gloves. He should hold the rammer staff with his thumb along the staff and never have his thumb wrapped around it. Also, no one should be past the muzzle while or after loading. We always warned photographers not to stand or have their camera close downrange, but I guess these go-pro types are more rugged. The powder charge used was mild, but it still gave a good enough bang for the yacht race. We used to fire our 6 pounder to start the Shirt Factory Five foot race in Derry, NH. The cannon shown in the video is an iron Model 1861 30 pdr Parrott rifle on a seige carriage. The tube (barrel) weighs about 4,200 lbs. the service charge of 3.25 lbs of black powder could throw a 25 lb shell to about 6,700 yards with great accuracy. The bore is 4.2 inches.

There's a gentleman who spends his summers living on a old military style tugboat turned houseboat at one of the marinas on Block Island. Every night at sunset he fires off a charge from a cannon I believe he has mounted to one of the railings. Well one evening, I was sitting at one of the bars on the dock talking to a lovely couple visiting from Japan when "The General" sounded his evening salute. That poor couple just about fell off their barstools! They got quite the kick out of it once we explained what happened (and stopped laughing!) I'm sure everyone back home in Japan too gets a kick out of hearing the story about how those crazy Americans shoot cannons off their boats every night!

There's a gentleman who spends his summers living on a old military style tugboat turned houseboat at one of the marinas on Block Island. Every night at sunset he fires off a charge from a cannon I believe he has mounted to one of the railings.
Edgewood Yacht Club in Cranston used to do that.

Back
Top Bottom