MA Cannon license

I'm interested in obtaining the MA license to shoot cannons and mortars, mostly for fun. It requires an endorsement from a current cannoneer. There was one guy who advertised a training program that netted you the endorsement (and relieved you of $250, but I can't fault him). His email, however, no longer works.

Do we have any members here who have a license and would be willing to pay it forward? Do you have any tips for finding current licensees?

There is no fee for the license or a renewal

Also seems like they have a exam/test. All “free”. Wonder who in power is into cannons

I’m in as well, and actually looked into this in the past.

At Federal level, if you have a muzzle loading cannon, you’re good to go. Be careful. Are muzzleloading cannons considered destructive devices? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

State (MA):
You need a license (certificate of competency) to shoot a cannon or mortar in Massachusetts.

You must pass an exam and CORI background check.

This license is valid for 5 years.

There is no fee for the license or a renewal.

Local: varies. Maybe give the police a courtesy call ahead of time if in settled area.

What if you put a butt stock on it so that it's a muzzle loader, "fired from the shoulder"? No special license needed for that. Jack.
Hmmm.......now I'm wondering. Conversely, if I were to add a small set of wheels under the receiver of an old shotgun would that make it into a cannon since it would be fired while NOT shouldered? Have to rig some string to pull the trigger. Be kind of wimpy to use anything less than a 10 gauge.

In too, I'd love another stupid confusing permit from the state, since my wife found my Machine Gun License application and I decided it wasn't worth the friction

"but hun. Jimmy has a machine gun, and in MA you have to have a permit just to shoot one. I don't want one of my own, just to shoot one" [laugh]

Last edited:
Hmmm.......now I'm wondering. Conversely, if I were to add a small set of wheels under the receiver of an old shotgun would that make it into a cannon since it would be fired while NOT shouldered? Have to rig some string to pull the trigger. Be kind of wimpy to use anything less than a 10 gauge.

Putting a shotgun on a platform is probably ok. Putting one on a UAV, on the other hand, might be problematic.

In too, I'd love another stupid confusing permit from the state, since my wife found my Machine Gun License application and I decided it wasn't worth the friction

If you really want to mess with her get your MA Fortune Teller license.... IIRC @one-eyed Jack has an epic story about that.... [laugh]

That article cracks me up. They expect the fire department to inspect the cannon.

Do they learn that in kitten rescuing school or is that something that requires extra training at taxpayer expense.
Actually, I think they were trying to make the FD chief look bad - he made all kinds of allegations about incompetence on the part of the cannoneer, and had no evidence other than butthurt (see the last line of the article - "I'm the Chief!")

Quoting my own post cause I'm to friggin lazy to type. Now it has occurred to me that one might remove the stock completely from the aforementioned shotgun and saw off the barrel very short. Voila now it's not a gun but a cannon LOL Can I get me a cannon license here?

Back
Top Bottom