• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Cannon license

I read that the Stanley Brothers (they built steam powered cars over 100 years ago) would wind piano wire around the boiler to increase it's pressure capacity.

I wonder if you wrapped the tail pipe with wire (real tight, like windings in an electric motor) maybe you could "up" the delivery charge a little. Or a lot.
Reeks of "single point of failure".

Reeks of "single point of failure".

"Unique in their design, no Stanley boiler has ever been documented to explode. The circular boiler walls are strengthened with three layers of exceptionally strong piano wire to provide sidewall strength unequalled in boiler designs for similar ratings."

Probably correct technically, but empirically, it appears to have been safe in practice.

Then again, records weren't all that good back then

During WW 2 SMLE rifles modified for grenade launching had wire wrapped around the barrel and forestock at two different locations.

I read that the Stanley Brothers (they built steam powered cars over 100 years ago) would wind piano wire around the boiler to increase it's pressure capacity.

I wonder if you wrapped the tail pipe with wire (real tight, like windings in an electric motor) maybe you could "up" the delivery charge a little. Or a lot.

Exams
Exam dates Application deadlines

Cannon/Mortar, Fireworks, Special Effects, Blasting, Blasting R & D
Exam Date Last Day To Sign Up
June 9, 2021 May 14, 2021
August 18, 2021 July 23, 2021
September 24, 2021 October 20, 2021
November 12, 2021 December 8, 2021

Many naval guns were wire wrapped:

The M1919 guns were massive in presence, measuring some 66.6 feet long and weighing up to 340,000 lbs (170 tons) each. The production process was to wrap steel wire around an inner tube of iron, the steel wire being square and 1 inch on each side. The square wire was kept taught as the iron tube turned in a constant motion. The wire added additional layers around the breech due to the explosion effects of the required powder when firing. When the correct number of layers of wire had been applied, steel hoops were fitted over the wire, then fired, causing the hoops to shrink and merge together into and onto the 1 inch wire (the length and weight of the gun barrel made normal forging impossible).

Potentially silly question, but doesn't the cannoneer license create the potential for a "Catch-22" scenario?

You can only get a license with the endorsement of someone with a license.

What happens if there are no people with such licenses, either through moving out of state, passing away, or not keeping their own license current?

Potentially silly question, but doesn't the cannoneer license create the potential for a "Catch-22" scenario?

You can only get a license with the endorsement of someone with a license.

What happens if there are no people with such licenses, either through moving out of state, passing away, or not keeping their own license current?
This is why I think we all need to get them. As a public service

This is true of apple, avocado and many other fruit trees. If you grow one from a seed you will not get the same fruit, and it probably won't even be worth eating. Trees are reproduced by grafting part of an existing tree onto hardy root stock with different genetics. Google the term "true to seed" for more details. Once the last tree of a variety of apple dies, that is it.

We could someday read:

Although thought to be extinct, an MA licensed cannoeer was found in a central MA nursing home. Staff is working quickly so he can use his licensed status to reintroduce the thought to be extinct Massus-Cannus subtype ofCitizen-Taxee to the ecosystem.

Last edited:
This is true of apple, avocado and many other fruit trees. If you grow one from a seed you will not get the same fruit, and it probably won't even be worth eating. Trees are reproduced by grafting part of an existing tree onto hardy root stock with different genetics. Google the term "true to seed" for more details. Once the last tree of a variety of apple dies, that is it.

We could someday read:

Although thought to be extinct, an MA licensed cannoeer was found in a central MA nursing home. Staff is working quickly so he can use his licensed status to reintroduce the thought to be extinct Massus-Cannus subtype ofCitizen-Taxee to the ecosystem.
Interesting article...

I would like to have the licence as well.... but either way she is still gonna go boom........on 4th of July, new years eve and on special occasions

I've been wondering how to get this for a while too. Just seeing the look on someone's face when you flash that license at them. Shut up and take my money!

How am I not surprised you've got this merit badge too?
Those arrows are purely a reference
from @flippinfleck's message body (q.v.),
to the caption in my avatar.

Will you be my cannon-Elmer?
It's too bad the new owners pulled the popcorn machine
from the former Tailgaters on 2A/119 in Acton
when it changed hands.

Back when it was my guilty pleasure to dine there several times a month,
I met an old timer at the bar who was on a cannon crew from Concord, Mass.
(Wonder if @one-eyed Jack knows him?)

P. S. In retrospect, one of the FFLs in The Mill knows something about cannons,
although I have no idea whether it's enough for a license.

That article cracks me up. They expect the fire department to inspect the cannon.

Do they learn that in kitten rescuing school or is that something that requires extra training at taxpayer expense.

I wonder how many guys flunked the Lieutenant's exam after tripping on the cannon questions?

when it changed hands.

The old timers that I remember "Who everybody knew their name" were (last name) Anderson, Berlied, Caldwell and Comeau. Any one of those sound familiar? Years back EddieCoyle ran a cannon group buy. Jack.

when it changed hands.

I'm on the trolley. the sad part is that I know some cannoneers, but they live in free America, they won't have license to help us.

clearly, once one of us finds "somebody, anybody," to help us, we'll need to throw together a class, so we can all get our papers together.

Back
Top Bottom