M1 Garand Megathread

Might do the same but not blonde...

612NsKKIRrL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I have one of those Hackberry stocks that everyone hated. Under the 'spray tan' CMP gave it, the wood looks pretty white so it could probably take on a fairly wild color. Might go with zombie green? You can practically rub the finish off with a finger- OK not that bad but a fingernail will do.

The way to do it would be to post pics on CMP and make sure they are fuzzy enough to obscure any fine detail on the wood. Write that it took forever to sand off all the old stamps that somebody put on the stock.
Use alcohol based dye. The water based tints gave me fits with the finish.

Figured I would chip in. I just got my Expert Grade 308 last week (Xmas present!!!!). I had no interest in another Special Grade (which is basically what these are) but have always been interested in a .308. I'm glad I got it. Sure is a sweet shooting rifle compared to the 30-06. No historic significance but I'm enjoying it and have been reloading .308 for a while so I'll probably try some things out after the holidays. For now I function tested it and it runs well. Took it to the range twice last week and sent 80 rounds down range.

I've been hanging around on the CMP Forums since I ordered it in November and while the early rifles (went on sale 11/4) including mine have been looking good there has been a run of several very badly pitted receivers sent out the last week or so. Some of the Special Rack grades look even worse. It makes me wonder if we will ever see decent "historical" rifles coming out of CMP ever again. I believe that most of these are Philippine returns that were badly rusted and they have been cleaned up and refinished and re-barreled.

On a brighter note if you were lucky enough to get a Field Grade order in before they sold out in the Spring CMP has been offering Service Grade upgrades and people on the forum getting them have been happy with them.

Some pictures : (FYI it's wearing an old CMP SG set of wood as I was not happy with the cut of the new CMP stock that it came in).

View attachment 556183View attachment 556189View attachment 556190View attachment 556191View attachment 556192
Nice rifle
If cmp do not save these parts they would end up scrapped or sold out and resold at much higher prices
Anytime you can save a mechanical sound part that maybe cosmetically challenged is a plus and JCG smiles each time a M1 shoots another round.
Historically significant rifles will still find there way through cmp and can be found on the cmp auction site.
All but the most rare rifles should not be left to die in the back of some closet or safe.
So all you …… get that stuff out into day light . Show everyone keep the history alive
My son does not have much interest in “guns” but he does have a bit of a “history” bug.
I had my 98k mauser out ( which I converted to 308 with a NOS Israeli barrel)
He was quite interested in the history of the rifle and the fact that it could have made some sort of impact on history even if small.
He sat quiet and listened to the little history of the rifle made in 44, captured bu the russians, Nazi marks scrubbed, and now sitting in his hands.
What was interesting is he asked if hid great uncle could have been shot at by this rifle.
I said well it is possible but unlikely.
He was in northern italy from What I know is late 1943-45
I might have to bring out the Type-99 and bayonet and show them what solders faced on the other side of the wotld.

FYI... This is a Special Rack Grade delivered last week. I for one was shocked when I saw this pitting. An awful lot of the Philippine returns were severely rusted. The barrels were scrapped and the receivers have been refinished and re-parked and are now being used to build M1's with a mixture of refinished USGI and new commercial parts. The better condition ones are going onto "Expert Grade" and the lesser are being used for "Special Rack".

51765436577_0608d17fba_c.jpg 51766267551_edd4ff07d5_c.jpg 51766506643_a1ae26ddae_c.jpg

FYI... This is a Special Rack Grade delivered last week. I for one was shocked when I saw this pitting. An awful lot of the Philippine returns were severely rusted. The barrels were scrapped and the receivers have been refinished and re-parked and are now being used to build M1's with a mixture of refinished USGI and new commercial parts. The better condition ones are going onto "Expert Grade" and the lesser are being used for "Special Rack".

View attachment 556888View attachment 556889View attachment 556890
Range report yet?

View attachment 556888View attachment 556889View attachment 556890
Not to fan any flames but that's the heaviest pitting I have seen 'above the wood line'. #1, CMP descriptions suck; and #2, what they ship vs. given descriptions varies by a country mile. That said, if it is structurally sound and shoots well- that was the criteria for this grade.

Check out your op rod spring. New? Used? If used, check its length vs. specification. If short, pitch it and get an Orion7. The IHC Service Grade recently shipped to me had a new op rod spring, and it looks exactly like an Orion7.

Maybe they will be OK, but if those elevation detents on the receiver are chewed up badly by pitting I'd keep an eye on them to make sure they are not breaking down with use. Not a catastrophic point of failure but for sure a PITA if not holding elevation.

Can't resist this somewhat trolling remark, but those pits don't look as deep as the usual Winchester rough machining with the typical tool dragging marks etc. [troll]

Well it's official. Special Rack grades are now sold out at CMP. So now the only option is a newly built Expert Grade M1 with a refinished receiver that could be pitted to some extent. (CMP Description says "May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts") and has new production barrel, wood, and some other commercial parts.

It would be nice to think that they are just slowing down to try and service the backlog that accumulated while they were closed in 2020 however the in person reports from the CMP stores indicates a severe lack of inventory. This year CMP North only opened to registered shooters at the Camp Perry matches and last week the Talladega store had less than 20 rifles in the racks.

Last edited:
Well it's official. Special Rack grades are now sold out at CMP. So now the only option is a newly built Expert Grade M1 with a refinished receiver that could be pitted to some extent. (CMP Description says "May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts") and has new production barrel, wood, and some other commercial parts.

It would be nice to think that they are just slowing down to try and service the backlog that accumulated while they were closed in 2020 however the in person reports from the CMP stores indicates a severe lack of inventory. This year CMP North only opened to registered shooters at the Camp Perry matches and last week the Talladega store had less than 20 rifles in the racks.
I thought the cmp was itching to finally sell out rifles. I dont see to many more years before everything goes on the auction site?

I dont think the expert grade has any refinished parts? Just New Barrel and New Wood: $1000 < this is not a bad price if you want a shooter. Unless your old as dirt and stocked up on parts 20+ years ago.
Im curious of whos barrels they are using they are not clearly saying criterion?
I took 2 service grades and “rebuilt “ them with new wood and new barrels 06 and 308 criterion , plus buying the tools
Fun stuff. That 308 special for $1000 would have been a easy buy vs building one

TMP (Talladega) has had varying amounts of inventory all year. They'll stock up then run down to nothing, then restock again. North Store stock at Perry Nationals was dismal. I showed up the day before the Garand etc. matches started to register and check out the store. Only thing left was some so-so 6 Mil Springfields listed at a no-thanks price. You'd think they would at least hold some inventory to sell when the people who actually shoot them arrive.

Excepting some old asshat who works the North Store there are many very nice people working for CMP. Business practices lately have been questionable at best. They'll take orders for stuff (not just guns) and take months to ship. They'll sometimes charge credit cards a month and a half or more before shipping stuff. Rifles that used to be slightly better than middle of the road Service Grade are now going straight to auction. The standard Rack Grades state there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; yet the Special Rack Grade does state there will be heavy pitting above the wood line. Yes, they state that but it is NOT consistent with the Rack Grade standard that has been in place for many years. I think it is deceptive to use 'Rack Grade' for those 'Specials' and they should have used a different name like 'POS Grade' LOL.

I've met Mark Johnson , Director of CMP, a couple times when he was COO. Jury is still out on that one, but the fact that his wife is now GM is a concern. His 2019 compensation as COO was $348K. He does seem to be putting in the time for what it's worth, but it would be nice to see some better customer focus. They get away with much more than a normal business in a competitive environment would.

TMP (Talladega) has had varying amounts of inventory all year. They'll stock up then run down to nothing, then restock again. North Store stock at Perry Nationals was dismal. I showed up the day before the Garand etc. matches started to register and check out the store. Only thing left was some so-so 6 Mil Springfields listed at a no-thanks price. You'd think they would at least hold some inventory to sell when the people who actually shoot them arrive.

Excepting some old asshat who works the North Store there are many very nice people working for CMP. Business practices lately have been questionable at best. They'll take orders for stuff (not just guns) and take months to ship. They'll sometimes charge credit cards a month and a half or more before shipping stuff. Rifles that used to be slightly better than middle of the road Service Grade are now going straight to auction. The standard Rack Grades state there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; yet the Special Rack Grade does state there will be heavy pitting above the wood line. Yes, they state that but it is NOT consistent with the Rack Grade standard that has been in place for many years. I think it is deceptive to use 'Rack Grade' for those 'Specials' and they should have used a different name like 'POS Grade' LOL.

I've met Mark Johnson , Director of CMP, a couple times when he was COO. Jury is still out on that one, but the fact that his wife is now GM is a concern. His 2019 compensation as COO was $348K. He does seem to be putting in the time for what it's worth, but it would be nice to see some better customer focus. They get away with much more than a normal business in a competitive environment would.
Who are they competing with ?
I could only speculate on Orest Micheals response
Be on the lines of “dont buy it” “return it”
I personally have never had a CC charge that was not with in days of shipping. Other than the charge for the gun case to make sure your CC is still active?
The fact that cmp states its “ heavily pitted above the wood line” should be a “hmmm” moment for the buyer but most buyers saw “new wood and New barrel for $650
I looked at them like a parts kit but never bothered to order any.
I did order a service grade and if not a Danish Return with matching stock and “dope” sticker I would have sold it or returned it. I like the “history” of this one.
I had a danish return before but just no love for it. I sold to a club member who is putting it to good use.

Good luck to everyone trying to get a M1 ….it is truly luck of the draw.

If you dont want to wait for cmp and take a chance on sight un seen

Or these

Glad I got in for a pair of service grades that I’ve been happy with. One had new wood and is a tack driver and the second has USGI wood and has great barrel reading but shoots 6 inches high at the hundred with the rear site bottomed out. I’m sure with a little tinkering I can get that ironed out.

If you look at the CMP financials, they are positioning themselves to be independent from Army surplus rifle and pistol sales (M1’s and 1911’s). They’ve know for quite a while that they would run out of saleable M1’s. The addition of 1911’s has just extended their ability to continue to profitably sell surplus guns for a few more years. As of 2017, surplus sales represented 40.4 percent of their revenue but also 38.2 percent of their expenses. So, in the balance, eliminating surplus sales would not have a huge impact on their operations. Judith Legerski, the Chairman of the CMP Board of Directors, has done a great job of growing the CMP endowment to the point that interest and gains on the endowment outstrip the income from surplus sales with much lower administrative costs (less than 9 percent of expenses).

They’ll have plenty to sell if they repatriate the hundreds of thousands of M1 carbines. The number I read was 600,000 in South Korea alone.

They’ll have plenty to sell if they repatriate the hundreds of thousands of M1 carbines. The number I read was 600,000 in South Korea alone.
I think its been “settled” the Koreans “own” those . Heck Century won the bid on the Garands and other items only to have the deal squashed by Obama and “no military rifle import “ shit he pulled.

If you look at the CMP financials, they are positioning themselves to be independent from Army surplus rifle and pistol sales (M1’s and 1911’s). They’ve know for quite a while that they would run out of saleable M1’s. The addition of 1911’s has just extended their ability to continue to profitably sell surplus guns for a few more years. As of 2017, surplus sales represented 40.4 percent of their revenue but also 38.2 percent of their expenses. So, in the balance, eliminating surplus sales would not have a huge impact on their operations. Judith Legerski, the Chairman of the CMP Board of Directors, has done a great job of growing the CMP endowment to the point that interest and gains on the endowment outstrip the income from surplus sales with much lower administrative costs (less than 9 percent of expenses).
Orest Michaels was saying this years ago.
I cant recall dates but after they Built the shooting park they still had a good chunk in the kitty. ?

Heres a good read
Gives a review of what it takes for cmp to get the stuff to us
And if you really want to get into the minutia, here is a Rand report from the same timeframe sponsored by the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. It includes some additional information about potential sources of revenue for the CMP.

Got my rifle in this AM. I wish I had saved my order form, to actually remember what I had ordered. There were a few rifles on the order form and they sent partial shipment 6 months ago. Today I received a RM1WRAS.
I'm going to start the paperwork for an expert grade and see the difference, as it's only $50 more than what they are shipping out now.

20211229_100521.jpg 20211229_100716.jpg 20211229_100723.jpg 20211229_102342.jpg

You can end up with a decent shooter from CMP. (I'm cross posting on purpose to prod all the new M1 owners to check out the postal match Winter Warrior 2021-2022 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles )

This is the International Harvester M1 I received last month from CMP. Slept like crap last night and was a bit groggy this AM, so like a dumbass I grabbed the wrong ammo and only had 7 rounds of Varget + 168 SMK reloads and the last 3 were HXP '77 dog crap ammo:

ZoNoCHlh.jpg

90LT8Qih.jpg

Shoots pretty good for an out of the box CMP M1, no? I should qualify that a little: I did do the usual match prep, trigger job, stock clearance work, etc.; but there's nothing on/in this rifle that did not come from CMP except for the Mobil 1 grease.

Except for the SMK edge of 10-ring shot at 2:00 that was my bad, all of my reloads and one of the HXP shots were X's. That HXP shot in the 9-ring I'm gonna blame on the HXP. This particular 1977 lot has been crap and regularly throws low flyers, but I bought it cheap in the enblocs a couple years back and nearly all the brass will be OK for reloads. Eventually I'll go back and try shooting again when I remember to bring the right ammo.

You never know what your gonna get
My SA service grade “danish return” I received over the summer shoots well
This was 10 rounds of random loose rounds from cleaning up
M1s tend to toss the first shot. My first shot was a 10 then I just shit theough the next 9 rounds figuring they should all be in the black. Seems it settled a bit after
3244F54A-F90C-4F7F-A942-9CDFF0E92BD0.jpeg

Then another SA service grade barrel guages a bit on the worn side but still not terrible. Walked the zero in a bit better
This rifle is as it came from cmp , even has worn/broken op rod spring.
I have a complete spring kit for it. Thats going in over the winter
315C37F9-56A8-4865-AFE7-FB255B72E089.jpeg

You can end up with a decent shooter from CMP. (I'm cross posting on purpose to prod all the new M1 owners to check out the postal match Winter Warrior 2021-2022 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles )

This is the International Harvester M1 I received last month from CMP. Slept like crap last night and was a bit groggy this AM, so like a dumbass I grabbed the wrong ammo and only had 7 rounds of Varget + 168 SMK reloads and the last 3 were HXP '77 dog crap ammo:

ZoNoCHlh.jpg

90LT8Qih.jpg

Shoots pretty good for an out of the box CMP M1, no? I should qualify that a little: I did do the usual match prep, trigger job, stock clearance work, etc.; but there's nothing on/in this rifle that did not come from CMP except for the Mobil 1 grease.

Except for the SMK edge of 10-ring shot at 2:00 that was my bad, all of my reloads and one of the HXP shots were X's. That HXP shot in the 9-ring I'm gonna blame on the HXP. This particular 1977 lot has been crap and regularly throws low flyers, but I bought it cheap in the enblocs a couple years back and nearly all the brass will be OK for reloads. Eventually I'll go back and try shooting again when I remember to bring the right ammo.
You never know what your gonna get
My SA service grade “danish return” I received over the summer shoots well
This was 10 rounds of random loose rounds from cleaning up
M1s tend to toss the first shot. My first shot was a 10 then I just shit theough the next 9 rounds figuring they should all be in the black. Seems it settled a bit after
View attachment 559162
Assuming 100 yards, that's REALLY good shooting IMO. Noice.

Another vendor who ships to MA has the PPU 500 round garand safe 30-06 in 50 cal ammo can for $700 shippedo_O. PM if interested.

Back
Top Bottom