• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

ridleyman

NES Member
I think that if any single gun deserves a megathread, it's an M1 Garand, especially because I just mailed off my application and documentation to the CMP yesterday. I know there have been threads on the topic before, but.......

When I lived in CA I bought a Garand, I believe brought back home from Korea, for $299. I kept it for a number of years, had a national match barrel installed on it, and eventually got an offer of over $1,000 for it, so I let it go. I now have a real yearning for the history, power, and channeling what someone on NES stated the other day, that it might be the only semi-auto we're allowed to own legally if the intolerant and violent left wing gets their way. So, I just submitted my paperwork to Alabama. I ordered a service grade rifle for $750, and 200 rds of M2 ball .30-06 ammo for $184, not cheap, but available. Postage is free, and it comes shipped in a hard case. I can't wait!

When it arrives, supposedly in 5-6 weeks, I promise to do an update and share pics.

Pics and comments would be great.

I ordered one a few years ago. At that time it was about a four week delivery time.
I went with a service grade as well.
I was very happy when I received a Springfield Armory produced one.
Living in this state, they are a major part of our firearm history. Made with pride, right here in MA!
Mine has a 5,300,000 serial number. Sometime in the mid-1950's manufacture.
I received one in excellent condition, with usgi stock and a 1/2-muzzle/throat reading.
My rifle shoots around 3 moa.

It is a very fun rifle to allow someone that has never fired one, shoot!
They will always remember the ping and the loading experience.

These rifles are a reminder of when 18 year old kids were faced with the daunting task of saving the world from the atrocities committed by the axis forces!
You'll have the privilege of holding a piece of history in your hands and god only knows of the stories it could tell!
Admire the simplicity and workmanship of it. Jean Cantius Garand did a wonderful job designing it!

Enjoy and take care of it. It will be around long after you are gone!

Last edited:
Check out some of the other posts from folks recently ordering from the CMP. They are reporting longer than normal delays in processing orders due to Covid and the increase in demand. If you email them in 4 weeks or so they can usually give you a more accurate ship time and if you’ve registered with the E-Store they can attach it to your account.

I can't remember where I read it but is there some kind of modification to shoot normal 30.06 through it? M2 Ball is hard to find and expensive so I haven't shot mine in years.

Some criticize the M1 as being clunky and out-dated, when in fact it’s just the opposite! It’s very precisely machined, rugged, reliable, and accurate. It’s not as simple to ‘smith or accurize as the AR, but it can, and has, been done, with great results. They have, and will, continue to last for generations!

Does anybody know:

Will there be enough Garands as long as they're still advertising on the CMP website?

Assuming there are, do they stop taking orders when they only have amount #x left in the inventory?

I can't remember where I read it but is there some kind of modification to shoot normal 30.06 through it? M2 Ball is hard to find and expensive so I haven't shot mine in years.

Garand friendly ammo is really not that hard to find. Federal and PPU both make it by the boat load. CMP sells various flavors. Gold medal match 168gr is fine too. And there's a can of surplus ammo on clips in the classifieds right now!

where are you finding normal 30-06 for less than $1 round?
M2 or M1 safe ammo is the same price and in normal times cheaper than any other 30-06 off the shelf.

They do make adjustsble gas plugs but you waste a few rounds setting it up , then theres another one that does not need to be adjusted.
Honestly just reload for it. ?

Some criticize the M1 as being clunky and out-dated, when in fact it’s just the opposite! It’s very precisely machined, rugged, reliable, and accurate. It’s not as simple to ‘smith or accurize as the AR, but it can, and has, been done, with great results. They have, and will, continue to last for generations!
JCG started designing the M1 in the 20s adopted in what 1936? And last produced in the early 50s. One unique aspect of the M1 and JCG is he designed the rifle, tooling, equipment. Factory layout for production. And he design the M1 to be shot ALOT

If you are lucky you'll get it by St Patty's Day. Not trying to be a pessimist but if you look at cmp forums its taking months. I'm on week 7 of my latest order and no update, not even anything in my estore account.

Last edited:
I use this on my CMP Specials, since they are just shooters without any particular historical significance. I only use them as a belt and susspenders safety measure in case I get an over pressured round. The ported gas plug is a lot cheaper than a new op rod.

Does anybody know:

Will there be enough Garands as long as they're still advertising on the CMP website?

Assuming there are, do they stop taking orders when they only have amount #x left in the inventory?
My understanding is that the CMP is in the process of going through about 99,000 repatriated Garands (about 86,000 from the Philippines and 13,000 from Turkey). I’ not sure what percentage of these are in good enough condition to be sold. South Korea has about 80,000 Garands and 600,000 M1 Carbines that the CMP hopes to be able to get their hands on in the future.

They will list the rifles as “Sold Out” on their web site when all their inventory is committed. A long as it’s listed as available (it will have a price) you can order it and you should be guaranteed delivery.

I think that if any single gun deserves a megathread, it's an M1 Garand, especially because I just mailed off my application and documentation to the CMP yesterday. I know there have been threads on the topic before, but.......

When I lived in CA I bought a Garand, I believe brought back home from Korea, for $299. I kept it for a number of years, had a national match barrel installed on it, and eventually got an offer of over $1,000 for it, so I let it go. I now have a real yearning for the history, power, and channeling what someone on NES stated the other day, that it might be the only semi-auto we're allowed to own legally if the intolerant and violent left wing gets their way. So, I just submitted my paperwork to Alabama. I ordered a service grade rifle for $750, and 200 rds of M2 ball .30-06 ammo for $184, not cheap, but available. Postage is free, and it comes shipped in a hard case. I can't wait!

When it arrives, supposedly in 5-6 weeks, I promise to do an update and share pics.

Pics and comments would be great.
I think we can safely say the milsurp section IS the megathread ?
Welcome and hurry up and wait for that rifle from cmp. Longest I waited
Mailed out a order in Nov received July 3 following year. Quickest was 3 weeks , average has been 2 months

I bought one of these back in 2008.
NIB from Rileys.
Ralph treated me well.
1608244411012.png
Installed one of these from Fulton Armory, an adjustable gas plug.
1608244479089.png
Handloads using 175grain SMK's drop the fired cases in a little pile just behind and to the right of where I'm shooting with a standard load of 4064
I've used powders that are slower burn rate and not "Garand" approved.
I've used bullets up to 190 grains
Berger 190 VLD's shoot very well with IMR 4350.

Cheap Greek HP M2 ball is a thing of the past.
Sorry you missed it.
Kinda like Swiss GP-11.

30-06 ammo, while "these days" is expensive, is easy to handload.
Don't be scared.

The Garand is a classic rifle.
One of the best.
Get one and learn how to shoot it.
Learn how to take it apart and re- assemble it.
Learn how to feed it.

where are you finding normal 30-06 for less than $1 round?
M2 or M1 safe ammo is the same price and in normal times cheaper than any other 30-06 off the shelf.

They do make adjustsble gas plugs but you waste a few rounds setting it up , then theres another one that does not need to be adjusted.
Honestly just reload for it. ?
Yeah M1 safe ammo has really shot up in price. TSUSA had the 500 round ammo cans of PPU for like $350 up until recently. It's now up to $476 plus tax and OOS.
When I was at Cabelas last weekend they had a bunch of PPU Garand ammo for $17.99 per box...With tax, basically $1 per round.

I just got an email from CMP stating that they're just now logging in orders from Oct 5th, so I have quite a wait. He also stated that there's plenty of inventory.

I just hope that I receive it before Biden and his band of merry nazis shut it down.

What is the issue with during normal 30-06 through it? I used to shoot anything from GI surplus to 200gr through mine. Accuracy wasn’t great with some, but was fine with most.

I just didn’t care for mine no matter how much I wanted to like it, so I no longer have one, and never will again. But I’m curious about the ammo thing.

What is the issue with during normal 30-06 through it? I used to shoot anything from GI surplus to 200gr through mine. Accuracy wasn’t great with some, but was fine with most.

I just didn’t care for mine no matter how much I wanted to like it, so I no longer have one, and never will again. But I’m curious about the ammo thing.
I've read that modern 30 06 or heavy bullet weights can create pressure in excess of what the rifle was designed for. This can damage the operating rod, they do make adjustable gas plugs for the use of non USGI loads

What is the issue with during normal 30-06 through it?

As I understand it, regular 30-06 fires at higher pressures. The higher pressure forces the op rod back harder than it was designed for, causing it to bend. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain it much better and much more technically..

Back
Top Bottom