• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any of you M1 Garand guys have serial # 283898?

It'd be nice to own, but I doubt it would go much past $200,000. His handguns have gone for around this price.

I just don't see that he would have a personal connection to the rifle other than having used it. If it was used by a famous war hero then I could see some value in it. But hey if somebody has it and they want to sell it and somebody wants to buy it for a million, all the power to him.

Some years ago Garand rifle with serial number 1,000,000 came up for auction. It was a presentation piece for John Garand. Yeah, THAT John Garand. IIRC, the selling price was in the neighborhood of $300,000.

Edit: Went back and looked .. found it .. $287,000

Last edited:
Some years ago Garand rifle with serial number 1,000,000 came up for auction. It was a presentation piece for John Garand. Yeah, THAT John Garand. IIRC, the selling price was in the neighborhood of $300,000.

Edit: Went back and looked .. found it .. $287,000
Didnt the rifle with the mos for marine core rifleman sell for a good number too?

Missed it by 25
Several years ago, I was at a State Trap shoot, and a youngster (Late 20s) came up to me, to ask me about my A5, as he had one that he'd just acquired. He figured I could give him some info, as I had one.

His gun's SN was within 7 of mine. Out of 99 years of production. That was kinda cool.

Still looking for the punch set.

So he was issued a Garand built in Feb 1940 ?
His service was 1958-1960
Last Garand production was 1957
Don't make sense

So he was issued a Garand built in Feb 1940 ?
His service was 1958-1960
Last Garand production was 1957
Don't make sense

I've posted this before, but the M2 my platoon had in 1999 was made in 1943. Newer ones are out there in abundance; they're still being manufactured. But if it still works, and the design is still supported by the unit armorers' equipment and training? Why not keep using the older stuff? The Army uses its equipment until it doesn't work anymore.

My Guard unit around 1994 had M16A1s in inventory. They were around thirty years old and it wasn't a problem: they'd been maintained and upgraded, as I'm sure Elvis' Garand had been. Elvis was also a cav scout in an armored division; it's unlikely they were first on the list for brand-new rifles, anyway, even though they were in Germany at the height of the Cold War.

Those first-tier units were probably fielding M14s around then.

Back
Top Bottom