M1 Garand Megathread

So I opened up the only 192 round HXP spam can I had after @btnh6668 said he had a lot of corroded rounds in his can. Bought it in 2015? I think from the CMP. Anyway, curiosity got me and I opened it up tonight. Kinda cool thinking it’s been sealed for 50 years. Part of me wishes I hadn’t opened it.

Well no corroded rounds. Everything was fine. The clips could be cleaned but that’s about it. Now I need to figure out how to repackage it. That will be something I do tomorrow 😂 DDFD9030-AFF7-4093-848F-B10DF0AA1027.jpeg EFA35AFD-E136-4C04-B586-C7DE1A974A2D.jpeg 3313C1E6-041D-4E3F-A884-D937A67D455B.jpeg

So I opened up the only 192 round HXP spam can I had after @btnh6668 said he had a lot of corroded rounds in his can. Bought it in 2015? I think from the CMP. Anyway, curiosity got me and I opened it up tonight. Kinda cool thinking it’s been sealed for 50 years. Part of me wishes I hadn’t opened it.

Well no corroded rounds. Everything was fine. The clips could be cleaned but that’s about it. Now I need to figure out how to repackage it. That will be something I do tomorrow 😂View attachment 561240View attachment 561241View attachment 561242
Hopefully you will be lucky, but you might not see corrosion until you remove rounds from the clips. It happens where stuff is touching, so you must inspect loose rounds.

Well no corroded rounds. Everything was fine. The clips could be cleaned but that’s about it. Now I need to figure out how to repackage it. That will be something I do tomorrow 😂View attachment 561240View attachment 561241View attachment 561242
One thing I do is open them from the bottom so it can be displayed

That 167 gn lapua is a deal
Try finding lapua brass and those 167 gn lapua bullets
Times like these I wish I had a large disposable income or ANY disposable income!
Yeah good point. Lapua components are big money. Hell new 30-06 brass alone must be $1 each lol

Yeah good point. Lapua components are big money. Hell new 30-06 brass alone must be $1 each lol
At least $1 each, probably more now. FWIW, I have yet to have a Lapua case fail after repeated reloading. I tend to lose them or they get damaged by being stepped on etc. so that's where the attrition comes for me. I've had Lake City cases fail after 4-6 Garand reloads so my Lake City brass now is just neck sized for my milsurp bolt guns.

At least $1 each, probably more now. FWIW, I have yet to have a Lapua case fail after repeated reloading. I tend to lose them or they get damaged by being stepped on etc. so that's where the attrition comes for me. I've had Lake City cases fail after 4-6 Garand reloads so my Lake City brass now is just neck sized for my milsurp bolt guns.
Worth mentioning that for brass rat control I carry a Glock 20 and keep a shovel and tarp in the truck.
[rofl]

I didn’t take all of them out of the clips but I rotated most of them within the clip and disassembled others. No rust/corrosion I could find.
Put it back together with some painters tape [laugh]
It will do for now. D8128C9C-B047-4A14-B420-C5D3D56301D1.jpeg

Have to wonder what actual Spam would look like after 50 years in the can[puke]

Awesome. I am happy to see they are all usable.

Can I ask the lot number and/or year of the corroded HXP?
It was '77 and in enblocs & bandoleers. Only a few random corroded ones. One or two had a small spot on outside of the case but had actually corroded into the case. It's possible that one spam can from the same lot could have 'surprises' and another might have none. I've also bought the boxed in ammo can 60's HXP. I liked it better, but the boxes on bottom of can had the bullets point down and some points were dinged / deformed. They had actually worn through the cardboard containers.

It was '77 and in enblocs & bandoleers. Only a few random corroded ones. One or two had a small spot on outside of the case but had actually corroded into the case. It's possible that one spam can from the same lot could have 'surprises' and another might have none. I've also bought the boxed in ammo can 60's HXP. I liked it better, but the boxes on bottom of can had the bullets point down and some points were dinged / deformed. They had actually worn through the cardboard containers.
Alot of the corrosion issues have been related to the glue for the ammo in boxes vs bando’s
Some of the bandos also had corrosion issues. Lots of HXP was “repacked” at some point also. So you might have amko that was stored poorly before sealed up.

Alot of the corrosion issues have been related to the glue for the ammo in boxes vs bando’s
Some of the bandos also had corrosion issues. Lots of HXP was “repacked” at some point also. So you might have amko that was stored poorly before sealed up.
Gotcha, I'll have to see if the tin is dated.

No notification yet from CMP for the FG order received ~9/7 but I am seeing in their forum that orders received end of August are showing up in the e-store which basically means your order is being staged to ship. From that point your M1 could ship within days or over a month. Meanwhile the Expert grades are pretty much shipping right away. At least I won't be waiting 8 months like I did for the IHC.

Anybody have any intel on the current Expert Grades available? Don’t need one, but maybe worthwhile? Probably would be last Garand purchase.

No notification yet from CMP for the FG order received ~9/7 but I am seeing in their forum that orders received end of August are showing up in the e-store which basically means your order is being staged to ship. From that point your M1 could ship within days or over a month. Meanwhile the Expert grades are pretty much shipping right away. At least I won't be waiting 8 months like I did for the IHC.

My FG order form was received by CMP on 9/1. Crickets so far, but I hope to hear within the next week or 2. I also heard that they may still be offering SG upgrades. If that happens, I will take them up on it...

Anybody have any intel on the current Expert Grades available? Don’t need one, but maybe worthwhile? Probably would be last Garand purchase.

The examples I saw at the Talladega marksmanship park were VERY nice H&R’s.

I talked two guys into buying them within 10 minutes of the store opening. One guy walked in and was like ‘hey, do you know anything about Garands and can help me pick out a shooter?’ I handed him an expert grade, dropped the mic and walked out :)

WELL worth the $1000.

My FG order form was received by CMP on 9/1. Crickets so far, but I hope to hear within the next week or 2. I also heard that they may still be offering SG upgrades. If that happens, I will take them up on it...
I'm up for a SG as well, in case they offer. My GOAL membership was expiring (tomorrow?) so I sent them the renewal info and also a note that I'd take an SG if available. Not sure that all goes to the correct person- we'll see.

As our orders are only a few days apart, let's please keep each other posted regarding DBU email, e-store, etc. Super nice folks, but their methods for order fulfillment are 🤪.

The examples I saw at the Talladega marksmanship park were VERY nice H&R’s.

I talked two guys into buying them within 10 minutes of the store opening. One guy walked in and was like ‘hey, do you know anything about Garands and can help me pick out a shooter?’ I handed him an expert grade, dropped the mic and walked out :)

WELL worth the $1000.
Friend was over and started talking Garands and I told him “enough already , shut the f*** up and order one, stop this shit you dont want to shoot history. Buy the expert grade from cmp for $1000 cmp ruined it for you and be done.”

Little pause from him.
What if I find one cheap that needs a barrel .
I said “here is a new barrel and stock set give me $500 when you find a rifle CHEAP let me know.
I printed out the paper work told him my little CC deal to save $250 and off he went. Will he drop the order in the mail?

Back
Top Bottom