• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

I see lots of south pacific films and it seems like “they” did not get M1s or Carbines until late in the war. ?
Reminds me about how my uncle said when the grease guns made their way to them around 1943 ish they tossed the Thompson or handed them friendly Italians? He said the grease gun was a POS but light and worked.

I think Gramps would have been at Saidor, New Guinea at the earliest in 1943. He was definitely there for the Leyte and Luzon campaigns beginning in late '44. I don't know about earlier- maybe he had that BAR, but he mentioned getting the M1 in the Philippines.

I think Gramps would have been at Saidor, New Guinea at the earliest in 1943. He was definitely there for the Leyte and Luzon campaigns beginning in late '44. I don't know about earlier- maybe he had that BAR, but he mentioned getting the M1 in the Philippines.
I am by no means a good source , I just notice a lot of bolt guns when they show early south pacific footage.

I think weapon choice was highly dependent of task.
My Great Uncle said the M1 carbine was great when crawling through rumble of bombed out cities/towns
M1 was great for the forest.
The U. S. Combat Use: World War II section of the M1 Carbine's Wikipedia article
lead me to mistakenly believe that it was mostly used in the Pacific.
Which not even the article actually claims.

But it's an interesting little read.

Then he basically said….you took what tou had the most ammo for.
No blame.

I often wonder how any remnants in the current military
who are authorized to use 1911's in the field arrange for ammo supply.
If there are any at all at this point.

If not 1911's, pick some other small arm that's almost gone.

(Not fair to discuss special forces, who have so much leeway
that there must be a very deliberate system for keeping them
rolling in whatever they need).

The Marines certainly used the 1903 Sprinfield at Guadalcanal. T. Grady Gallant pens a brief homage to it in his book “On Valore’s Side”.

The rifle. God knows, there was never a rifle so good as the Springfield ... the U. S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model 1903 ... the “‘03.” Those were its names. We called it “the ‘03.” It was made for fighters who hit what they aimed at, not for gardeners, who sprayed bullets into the air as water from a hose. It was for “riflemen.”

Not trying to get off subject here but with 39 pages here and too lazy to read the whole dang thing… Can I shoot 150g Core Lokt out of my M1? I have a boat load of it and have been in fearing of using it with the threads on other sites.

Not trying to get off subject here but with 39 pages here and too lazy to read the whole dang thing… Can I shoot 150g Core Lokt out of my M1? I have a boat load of it and have been in fearing of using it with the threads on other sites.
Here is The CMP’s official position on ammo for the M1 Garand:

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program
As long as the bullet weight is under 172-174 gr and the round's pressure is below the SAMMI standard of 50,000 CUP it’s up to you. In M1’s with original barrels I only shoot ammo rated specifically for the M1 like these: 30-06-springfield-m1-garand-ammo-c-2661.aspx . With my Specials (which have new barrels) I’ll shoot normal commercial .30-06 ammo that meets The CMP spec, but I have Garand Gear’s Ported Gas Plug in those rifles just to be safe.

Here is The CMP’s official position on ammo for the M1 Garand:

As long as the bullet weight is under 172-174 gr and the round's pressure is below the SAMMI standard of 50,000 CUP it’s up to you. In M1’s with original barrels I only shoot ammo rated specifically for the M1 like these: 30-06-springfield-m1-garand-ammo-c-2661.aspx . With my Specials (which have new barrels) I’ll shoot normal commercial .30-06 ammo that meets The CMP spec, but I have Garand Gear’s Ported Gas Plug in those rifles just to be safe.
I did fail to mention the reason I use the Ported Gas Plug. There are two bad things that can happen with a Garand when you use improper ammo. One is a “Kaboom” where you have a bolt or chamber failure. Keeping it to The CMP’s recommendation will prevent that. The other thing that can happen is that you can bend your op-rod. This can happen when the barrel pressure at the gas port exceeds the design limits of the M1. While a give cartridge may have a max pressure at or below the SAMMI standard of 50,000 CUP, the pressure at the gas port may be higher than what the op-rod can handle due to the particular burn characteristics of the propellant used. This can lead to a bent op-rod if the op-rod is binding for any reason (often lack of proper lubrication). Garand Gear has a good article on the M1 and its ammunition: M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug that talks about this.

If you check out the article, you’ll see most commercial grade ammo with a bullet of 150 gr will have a port pressure above that of HXP-69, a standard M1 round, though most will be below LC-66, another standard round. The 180 gr loads will all substantial exceed HXP-69 and LC-66 (even though they meet the SAMMI standard). You will also note that even HXP-69 and LC-66 exceed the reference round loaded with 50.0 gr of IMR4895, which is the standard load called out in the M1’s Army tech manual. If the port pressure is high and the op-rod binds for any reason, you have a good chance of bending the op-rod

The Ported Gas Plug significantly reduces the pressure that the op-rod is exposed to, but not to the point of impairing performance (as long as you have a non-binding op-rod as demonstrated by the the tilt test).

I did fail to mention the reason I use the Ported Gas Plug. There are two bad things that can happen with a Garand when you use improper ammo. One is a “Kaboom” where you have a bolt or chamber failure. Keeping it to The CMP’s recommendation will prevent that. The other thing that can happen is that you can bend your op-rod. This can happen when the barrel pressure at the gas port exceeds the design limits of the M1. While a give cartridge may have a max pressure at or below the SAMMI standard of 50,000 CUP, the pressure at the gas port may be higher than what the op-rod can handle due to the particular burn characteristics of the propellant used. This can lead to a bent op-rod if the op-rod is binding for any reason (often lack of proper lubrication). Garand Gear has a good article on the M1 and its ammunition: M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug that talks about this.

If you check out the article, you’ll see most commercial grade ammo with a bullet of 150 gr will have a port pressure above that of HXP-69, a standard M1 round, though most will be below LC-66, another standard round. The 180 gr loads will all substantial exceed HXP-69 and LC-66 (even though they meet the SAMMI standard). You will also note that even HXP-69 and LC-66 exceed the reference round loaded with 50.0 gr of IMR4895, which is the standard load called out in the M1’s Army tech manual. If the port pressure is high and the op-rod binds for any reason, you have a good chance of bending the op-rod

The Ported Gas Plug significantly reduces the pressure that the op-rod is exposed to, but not to the point of impairing performance (as long as you have a non-binding op-rod as demonstrated by the the tilt test).
Or rods will bend from repeated slamming to the rear of the action along with receiver stretch and heal cracking.

"You will also note that even HXP-69 and LC-66 exceed the reference round loaded with 50.0 gr of IMR4895"

???

What reference round? For what rifle? Must not be an M1 Garand. Nobody loads 50.0 gr of MIR 4895 for the M1. Typically you are going to see 46.0 to 47.5 gr loads. With 150 gr projectiles 50.0 grains will be above 50,000 psi. Any bullet heavier than that and you will start getting closer to hi 50's and almost 60,000 psi. Don't do it.

You mention HXP-69 and LC-66 as if they are unique- maybe that wasn't your intention but it reads that way. HXP headstamps based on the year of production. 69 was made in 1969. Same for LC- 66 means 1966. Yes, both are M2 ball and perfectly suited for the M1. The HXP is a little hotter regardless of the year you might have. The one notable difference in HXP years was after ~1972 the extractor grooves were wider.

My recommendation for anyone wanting to shoot commercial hunting loads in a M1 is to forget the ported plug and just buy yourself a Ruger American or comparable rifle. It will be way cheaper than buying a M1 replacement receiver if you can even find one, and only ~$250 more than a new op rod.

"You will also note that even HXP-69 and LC-66 exceed the reference round loaded with 50.0 gr of IMR4895"

???

What reference round? For what rifle? Must not be an M1 Garand. Nobody loads 50.0 gr of MIR 4895 for the M1. Typically you are going to see 46.0 to 47.5 gr loads. With 150 gr projectiles 50.0 grains will be above 50,000 psi. Any bullet heavier than that and you will start getting closer to hi 50's and almost 60,000 psi. Don't do it.

You mention HXP-69 and LC-66 as if they are unique- maybe that wasn't your intention but it reads that way. HXP headstamps based on the year of production. 69 was made in 1969. Same for LC- 66 means 1966. Yes, both are M2 ball and perfectly suited for the M1. The HXP is a little hotter regardless of the year you might have. The one notable difference in HXP years was after ~1972 the extractor grooves were wider.

My recommendation for anyone wanting to shoot commercial hunting loads in a M1 is to forget the ported plug and just buy yourself a Ruger American or comparable rifle. It will be way cheaper than buying a M1 replacement receiver if you can even find one, and only ~$250 more than a new op rod.
Well maybe not these days
Check out some of the older info
This is pulled from a older publication
By John Clarke American Rifleman 1985
50 grains of IMR4895 check
Loads with 200 grain bullets check
Zero reason to load anything like this for todays M1 unless your still chasing leg points XTC with a M1 in some windy locations.
24B8AF93-7E2C-491B-9738-2C20AD328D1E.png 07F46099-A077-4FEF-A2F5-F2CAF355B860.png

Last edited:
Well maybe not these days
Check out some of the older info
This is pulled from a older publication
By John Clarke
Looks like 50 grains of 4895 was the max load and only for Federal Cases. I'm assuming Federal cases were thinner and had more volume. HXP cases are thicker, as are others like my favorite Lapua cases. You'll be well over 50,000 psi with either of those.

When I bought my first M1, I thought a ported plug and the ability to run commercial hunting loads in a pinch was a good idea. Since then I have been told multiple times by very experienced M1 shooters / armorers that installing a ported gas plug is not advised and to just run the right ammo. Actually one said itsa dumb F-king thing to do but go ahead and waste your money you coulda just used for the right ammo. Passing that along to the forum as a public service. LOL I'm still tempted to have one just to keep in the parts kit.

???

I was talking about the round used as a reference in the linked article. And I was only referencing HXP-69 and LC-66 because that’s what he called out in his article, I did not mean to imply they were unique. My note was based on the info in that article: M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug. He seems to have done a great deal of actual testing with various commercial rounds. The author certainly knows more than I about M1 ammo, as I’m sure you do since I don’t reload for it. He was referring to the Army technical manual TM 43-0001-27 (see page 5-9 in http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/united_states_army_tm_43-0001-27 - 29_april_1994.pdf) where it calls out 50 gr of IMR 4895:

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.40.15 PM.png

And I don’t disagree that you’re better off using .30-06 ammo specifically manufactured for use in the M1 Garand. If you want to hunt with the .30-06 round you’re much better off using a bolt action with bullet weights of 180 gr or more. As I said, in any M1 that has historical significance to me I never shoot any non-Garand specific commercial ammo. I’ve only done it with the Specials, which I just consider shooters. And then never anything over 150 gr bullet weight.

Looks like 50 grains of 4895 was the max load and only for Federal Cases. I'm assuming Federal cases were thinner and had more volume. HXP cases are thicker, as are others like my favorite Lapua cases. You'll be well over 50,000 psi with either of those.

When I bought my first M1, I thought a ported plug and the ability to run commercial hunting loads in a pinch was a good idea. Since then I have been told multiple times by very experienced M1 shooters / armorers that installing a ported gas plug is not advised and to just run the right ammo. Actually one said itsa dumb F-king thing to do but go ahead and waste your money you coulda just used for the right ammo. Passing that along to the forum as a public service. LOL I'm still tempted to have one just to keep in the parts kit.
Exactly ! Plus “hunting” ammo in 30-06 I have never seen at the same price or cheaper than surplus or new manufacture M2.
Core lok was $20/20 years ago

I was talking about the round used as a reference in the linked article. And I was only referencing HXP-69 and LC-66 because that’s what he called out in his article, I did not mean to imply they were unique. My note was based on the info in that article: M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug. He seems to have done a great deal of actual testing with various commercial rounds. The author certainly knows more than I about M1 ammo, as I’m sure you do since I don’t reload for it. He was referring to the Army technical manual TM 43-0001-27 (see page 5-9 in http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/united_states_army_tm_43-0001-27 - 29_april_1994.pdf) where it calls out 50 gr of IMR 4895:

View attachment 544771

And I don’t disagree that you’re better off using .30-06 ammo specifically manufactured for use in the M1 Garand. If you want to hunt with the .30-06 round you’re much better off using a bolt action with bullet weights of 180 gr or more. As I said, in any M1 that has historical significance to me I never shoot any non-Garand specific commercial ammo. I’ve only done it with the Specials, which I just consider shooters. And then never anything over 150 gr bullet weight.
That article can be a little confusing.
For one in his graphs is that actual psi or x10 ? Maybe I missed that info.

Its all about gas pressure and volume that reaches the gas port/cylinder.
You can get into trouble with light bullets if the powder is slow enough.

To muddy the waters even more
The “max chamber” pressures get confusing because of the different types of testing BUT max chamber pressures dont directly relate to port pressure.

IF I where to run a “special” gas plug it would be the one in the article
The adjustable ones are a bit wonky and you waste ammo adjusting it.
Its also one more thing to fail.
One of the first tips I got for “tuning” my M1 for matches was to get a single slot “solid” gas plug
When I asked old steve “why”
This is what he said
Limiting potential failures is the best way to limit the failures at a match.
You can tighten a loose gas plug, if for what ever reason your gas plug valve decides to jam or crack well your single loading at that point.
Other better shooters than I have said similar things. If you plan on using a grenade launcher a solid plug might not be for you.
Be safe if you cant find the right ammo learn to reload

23B81A05-2928-4778-97ED-11936357FF2B.png

Last edited:

No

Yes

Uh, the gas system is still the same.

You know the scene in Kindergarden Cop where Schwarzenegger says "It's not a tooommmmaaahh"

Well.. It's not the bullet weight :)

View attachment 544771

Gotcha! Now that makes sense, based on the article. Looks like the test was basically using a 'max load', which we should not do. Thanks for posting the additional info, it's interesting.

I think it would be AOK to use an M1 for hunting. Nosler ballistic tips or other equivalent spire point hunting projectiles would function as good as the typical FMJ's or match HPBT's. You'd need to roll your own with a powder charge somewhere in the sweet spot for M1's.

Gotcha! Now that makes sense, based on the article. Looks like the test was basically using a 'max load', which we should not do. Thanks for posting the additional info, it's interesting.

I think it would be AOK to use an M1 for hunting. Nosler ballistic tips or other equivalent spire point hunting projectiles would function as good as the typical FMJ's or match HPBT's. You'd need to roll your own with a powder charge somewhere in the sweet spot for M1's.
Something like a 135 varmint at 3200fps maybe. lol
You know me I will be pushing those 135 varmints a lot slower!

No

Yes

Uh, the gas system is still the same.

You know the scene in Kindergarden Cop where Schwarzenegger says "It's not a tooommmmaaahh"

Well.. It's not the bullet weight :)
I was just saying that I don’t care that much about my Specials, since for me they don’t have any particular historical value. They just another gun that I like to shoot. And if you look at the data that Garand Gear reported, the pressure at the gas port is very much related to bullet weight. The heavier the bullet, the higher the port pressure. I would think that is why The CMP explicitly states to not use "a bullet weight more than 172-174gr”, since even rounds with the heavier bullets will meet the SAMMI max pressure spec.

But you can’t go wrong by just sticking to Garand specific ammo. Because of their weight, I would rather go hunting with a modern, light weight .30-06 bolt than a Garand any day.

Well... when these threads about garands get resurrected, it always makes me think I need another one. I usually talk myself out of it since I'm happy with the one I have.

However, my son doesn't have one... so I filled out the form for another one and dropped it in the mail over the weekend.

I was just saying that I don’t care that much about my Specials, since for me they don’t have any particular historical value. They just another gun that I like to shoot. And if you look at the data that Garand Gear reported, the pressure at the gas port is very much related to bullet weight. The heavier the bullet, the higher the port pressure. I would think that is why The CMP explicitly states to not use "a bullet weight more than 172-174gr”, since even rounds with the heavier bullets will meet the SAMMI max pressure spec.

But you can’t go wrong by just sticking to Garand specific ammo. Because of their weight, I would rather go hunting with a modern, light weight .30-06 bolt than a Garand any day.
Heavy bullets often “like” a slower powder to get the velocity up and keep chamber pressure down.
Its not a tell all but I will post a comparison using Quick loads…
Dont wait up it may take a while

I saw this guy close to my house and we were heading in the same direction. I decided not to pass him, because my luck would be that this is the van that has my rifle in it and I would have to wait for him to get there anyways. Followed him to the hub about 90% of my drive there.

View attachment 493421

This order filled was a service grade as @mac1911 said. I don't knon what the other rifle is. I assume the 2nd rifle is a field grade. I can't remember. There has to be a reason why they didn't fill both rifles at once. I have 2 diff order numbers although it was on the same paper order form. We will see.

S/N puts this as April 1944.
View attachment 493422

CMP has upped their rifle case game since I last ordered. This case is much nicer than the little green ones they used to use.

View attachment 493423
I just got an email about my 2nd rifle on the original order. Order placed Jan/Feb 2021. The email stated the field grades were back ordered, and I can pay the extra $100 to upgrade to a service grade. Maybe I'll have it by the 1 year mark.

I just got an email about my 2nd rifle on the original order. Order placed Jan/Feb 2021. The email stated the field grades were back ordered, and I can pay the extra $100 to upgrade to a service grade. Maybe I'll have it by the 1 year mark.
Sweet

Figured I would chip in. I just got my Expert Grade 308 last week (Xmas present!!!!). I had no interest in another Special Grade (which is basically what these are) but have always been interested in a .308. I'm glad I got it. Sure is a sweet shooting rifle compared to the 30-06. No historic significance but I'm enjoying it and have been reloading .308 for a while so I'll probably try some things out after the holidays. For now I function tested it and it runs well. Took it to the range twice last week and sent 80 rounds down range.

I've been hanging around on the CMP Forums since I ordered it in November and while the early rifles (went on sale 11/4) including mine have been looking good there has been a run of several very badly pitted receivers sent out the last week or so. Some of the Special Rack grades look even worse. It makes me wonder if we will ever see decent "historical" rifles coming out of CMP ever again. I believe that most of these are Philippine returns that were badly rusted and they have been cleaned up and refinished and re-barreled.

On a brighter note if you were lucky enough to get a Field Grade order in before they sold out in the Spring CMP has been offering Service Grade upgrades and people on the forum getting them have been happy with them.

Some pictures : (FYI it's wearing an old CMP SG set of wood as I was not happy with the cut of the new CMP stock that it came in).

image_67186945.JPG image_67196929.JPG image_50422785.JPG image_67199233.JPG image_16865025.JPG

Figured I would chip in. I just got my Expert Grade 308 last week (Xmas present!!!!). I had no interest in another Special Grade (which is basically what these are) but have always been interested in a .308. I'm glad I got it. Sure is a sweet shooting rifle compared to the 30-06. No historic significance but I'm enjoying it and have been reloading .308 for a while so I'll probably try some things out after the holidays. For now I function tested it and it runs well. Took it to the range twice last week and sent 80 rounds down range.

I've been hanging around on the CMP Forums since I ordered it in November and while the early rifles (went on sale 11/4) including mine have been looking good there has been a run of several very badly pitted receivers sent out the last week or so. Some of the Special Rack grades look even worse. It makes me wonder if we will ever see decent "historical" rifles coming out of CMP ever again. I believe that most of these are Philippine returns that were badly rusted and they have been cleaned up and refinished and re-barreled.

On a brighter note if you were lucky enough to get a Field Grade order in before they sold out in the Spring CMP has been offering Service Grade upgrades and people on the forum getting them have been happy with them.

Some pictures : (FYI it's wearing an old CMP SG set of wood as I was not happy with the cut of the new CMP stock that it came in).

View attachment 556183View attachment 556189View attachment 556190View attachment 556191View attachment 556192
Nice! Looks good in that stock too. Personally, I don't really 'get' the CMP forum collector snobs who obsess over minutia. To me, your 308 is more significantly historic than not and will be a great shooter. Those who are disappointed about pits on their receivers are expecting something better than what the grade truly is. Yours looks pretty good. My primary match M1 was a FG that did not look pitted until it was stripped and re-parked. The pits are not horrible and I never notice them when pulling the trigger LOL.

I too wonder if CMP is getting to the end of a good supply of historic M1's but also it could be that they are directing resources to crank out the 'Experts' and Rack Grade Specials. I've read and seen pics of how at least some of the Philippine storage conditions were hard on wood and barrels, which creates donor receivers for the Experts and RG Specials. Not a slam on the people doing the work, but I do think it is BS that management has directed CMP to sit on other orders for months while while they crank these out. Also seems like anything decent that would have just been sold as a SG in the past is now going to auction.

Like my IHC order that just barely made it under the wire, I also have a FG order pending that was received just before the cut off. Maybe I'll get the email from CMP in January. I'd be glad to take a SG so long as it comes in USGI wood.

Nice! Looks good in that stock too. Personally, I don't really 'get' the CMP forum collector snobs who obsess over minutia. To me, your 308 is more significantly historic than not and will be a great shooter. Those who are disappointed about pits on their receivers are expecting something better than what the grade truly is. Yours looks pretty good. My primary match M1 was a FG that did not look pitted until it was stripped and re-parked. The pits are not horrible and I never notice them when pulling the trigger LOL.

I too wonder if CMP is getting to the end of a good supply of historic M1's but also it could be that they are directing resources to crank out the 'Experts' and Rack Grade Specials. I've read and seen pics of how at least some of the Philippine storage conditions were hard on wood and barrels, which creates donor receivers for the Experts and RG Specials. Not a slam on the people doing the work, but I do think it is BS that management has directed CMP to sit on other orders for months while while they crank these out. Also seems like anything decent that would have just been sold as a SG in the past is now going to auction.

Like my IHC order that just barely made it under the wire, I also have a FG order pending that was received just before the cut off. Maybe I'll get the email from CMP in January. I'd be glad to take a SG so long as it comes in USGI wood.
I can't say why, but now I want to get one to use as a project. Put on some wildcat barrel, polish and blue everything, then make custom blonde wood, just to [troll]

I can't say why, but now I want to get one to use as a project. Put on some wildcat barrel, polish and blue everything, then make custom blonde wood, just to [troll]
Might do the same but not blonde...

612NsKKIRrL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I have one of those Hackberry stocks that everyone hated. Under the 'spray tan' CMP gave it, the wood looks pretty white so it could probably take on a fairly wild color. Might go with zombie green? You can practically rub the finish off with a finger- OK not that bad but a fingernail will do.

The way to do it would be to post pics on CMP and make sure they are fuzzy enough to obscure any fine detail on the wood. Write that it took forever to sand off all the old stamps that somebody put on the stock.

Back
Top Bottom