• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

I don't "need" another, but you have me wondering what secret I don't know about...
Use this link
You get $200 cash back plus 5% if you spend $500 in 3 months
$1000 5% + $200 cash back = $250
$750 for a M1— there are those here that have done this including myself. The referals last year help pay for my last M1.
Use this link and I get a referral kick back

Earn $200 cash back with Chase Freedom Unlimited or Chase Freedom Flex credit card. I can be rewarded, learn more.

Friend was over and started talking Garands and I told him “enough already , shut the f*** up and order one, stop this shit you dont want to shoot history. Buy the expert grade from cmp for $1000 cmp ruined it for you and be done.”

Will he drop the order in the mail?
Nope, he'll keep buggin' the shit out of you until they are all gone from CMP. Then he'll ask who has one to sell.

I have a question for the Garand aficionados.

I hope to receive a DBU from CMP in the coming days (field grade). The order has been in queue for about 6 months. Word has it that they are still offering upgrades to service grades. My original reason for ordering a FG was to get a WWII era with original wood (stickied) and FG would offer the best chance for that. It seemed that SGs are coming with new wood, etc. However, my concern is that I might be disappointed, as FG will result in a 'poorer quality' rifle; per the description on the CMP web page. I also see people who are offered the upgrade decline it, which surprises me a bit.

I'm conflicted. Aside from price, why would one defer the upgrade? Buying for parts?

Thank you.

Field Grades make decent shooters. They may not be very pretty, and they may be a little worn, but they work. They’re a great value for the money. The more expensive M1’s will absolutely be more accurate though

In the past, field grades may have also had more desirable or rarer parts as they typically arent “built” like other grades are/were.

Use this link
You get $200 cash back plus 5% if you spend $500 in 3 months
$1000 5% + $200 cash back = $250
$750 for a M1— there are those here that have done this including myself. The referals last year help pay for my last M1.
Use this link and I get a referral kick back

Earn $200 cash back with Chase Freedom Unlimited or Chase Freedom Flex credit card. I can be rewarded, learn more.

I tried but "Page unavailable" message. I'll try again later. Spending $500 in 3 months is not a challenge (for better or worse). It might not work for buying a Garand as they seem to be taking more than 3 months, and your card doesn't get charged until they're ready to ship. However, if this deal still goes, it won't be tough finding good firearm related stuff to buy.

I just ordered these snap/dummy bullets, colored black. There are other options and products as well.

Btw, I think enbloc is for the French en bloc, meaning in block/the whole thing,which I just learned.

enbloc

1645715367073.png

I hope to receive a DBU from CMP in the coming days (field grade). The order has been in queue for about 6 months. Word has it that they are still offering upgrades to service grades. My original reason for ordering a FG was to get a WWII era with original wood (stickied) and FG would offer the best chance for that. It seemed that SGs are coming with new wood, etc. However, my concern is that I might be disappointed, as FG will result in a 'poorer quality' rifle; per the description on the CMP web page. I also see people who are offered the upgrade decline it, which surprises me a bit.

I'm conflicted. Aside from price, why would one defer the upgrade? Buying for parts?

Thank you.

As you state, FG's are more likely to have GI wood than are SG's. The FG 'standard' allows for more dents and dings, which you are going to have on GI wood. There's no guarantee of GI wood, however. As others mention, the allowable wear and tear for the FG's also increases the chances of getting other original parts. The ones who decline the upgrade to SG are likely to be hoping for something with greater collectibility rather than function. Yes, some will order for parts.

I ordered a FG just after you and am expecting the DBU any day now. CMP staff are absolutely wonderful and the nicest folks you would ever meet, but the organization of the M1 rifle sales is a real head scratcher. They are cranking out the Expert Grades like crazy. If I needed another shooter, I'd be all over that. I think they are trying to funnel all the beaters into the 'Expert' production and have fewer decent FG's to ship. Also they seem to be sorting more closely and now auctioning M1's that in the past would have been a slightly better than average SG.

Recent feedback for the FG's seems mostly positive. Didn't scare me from ordering again, but the last one I received was a real pizzashit. Should have been a Rack Grade and next time I won't hesitate to contact CMP if any parts are not serviceable.

I tried but "Page unavailable" message. I'll try again later. Spending $500 in 3 months is not a challenge (for better or worse). It might not work for buying a Garand as they seem to be taking more than 3 months, and your card doesn't get charged until they're ready to ship. However, if this deal still goes, it won't be tough finding good firearm related stuff to buy.

Thank you.
One of the main differences from SG to FG is muzzle and throat wear.
I have a SG that looks more like a FG but gauges 1 and 1 .
I also had a FG that looked like crapola but had a pristine bore. The stock was as loose as can be . It shot ok.

As far as some wanting FG even with a SG upgrade offer.
Well I know a few people who just want the cheapest M1 and they like the battle worn look. Plus some believe they will get something collectable , un likely these days since the advent of the cmp auction

One of the main differences from SG to FG is muzzle and throat wear.
I have a SG that looks more like a FG but gauges 1 and 1 .
I also had a FG that looked like crapola but had a pristine bore. The stock was as loose as can be . It shot ok.

As far as some wanting FG even with a SG upgrade offer.
Well I know a few people who just want the cheapest M1 and they like the battle worn look. Plus some believe they will get something collectable , un likely these days since the advent of the cmp auction
This is what I am thinking mac. My SGs have been like-new to this point. I've been very happy with them. There is no concern with upgrading the barrel if we want to shoot it. My inclination is to stick with a FG, with the intention of getting something a bit more authentic. Ugh, wrestling with this... ;)

This is what I am thinking mac. My SGs have been like-new to this point. I've been very happy with them. There is no concern with upgrading the barrel if we want to shoot it. My inclination is to stick with a FG, with the intention of getting something a bit more authentic. Ugh, wrestling with this... ;)
they will be authentic , unless you get a special with a new barrel and stock
or toss a bid at this

Bungroker (gunbroker) is absolutely buried in CMP Expert grades. Several of the listings are "artfully" describing those M1's as WWII or whatever era with "very low wear" barrels and getting quite a premium over the honest sellers listing as CMP Expert Grade.

1647110980596.jpeg

I should be getting a DBU (don't bother us email / order acknowledgement) any day now for the Field Grade I ordered beginning of September. CMP's response on the FG's has actually slowed down A LOT I guess so they can crank out those Expert Grades.

It's Patton's M1!! They made Criterion barrels back then, right?
Too damn many listings to bother, but I would not be surprised one bit if one of them quoted that "The best battle implement ever devised." Patton-ism. LOL watch me do that if I list one here or on Bungroker.

Too damn many listings to bother, but I would not be surprised one bit if one of them quoted that "The best battle implement ever devised." Patton-ism. LOL watch me do that if I list one here or on Bungroker.
My friend was looking at a M1 from a private seller and the guy was working up the ultra rare Citdel barrel.

Don't get me wrong- if I did not already have a couple match rifles with new barrels I'd be all over an Expert Grade as a shooter. However, there are a number of turds out there portraying these as vintage collectible stuff.

I would not put much faith in that , one stubborn plug and that brass will be failing.
Just use a 1/4” drive extension and a T handle. Or get a solid single slot plug and just use the D10 tool

I'm wondering why brass in the first place? Does someone, somewhere like brass?

I'm up for a SG as well, in case they offer. My GOAL membership was expiring (tomorrow?) so I sent them the renewal info and also a note that I'd take an SG if available. Not sure that all goes to the correct person- we'll see.

As our orders are only a few days apart, let's please keep each other posted regarding DBU email, e-store, etc. Super nice folks, but their methods for order fulfillment are 🤪.
@Mountain
I received a DBU from Traci this morning for the FG order. No offer to upgrade to SG - yet. I am not sure if the upgrade option is still on the table or if that comes later in the process.

The FG order was received by CMP on 9/1.

@Mountain
I received a DBU from Traci this morning for the FG order. No offer to upgrade to SG - yet. I am not sure if the upgrade option is still on the table or if that comes later in the process.

The FG order was received by CMP on 9/1.
Same here- DBU bright and early from Traci. No mention of upgrade as well. My FG order was actually received 9/3. Somehow I was incorrectly thinking 9/7.

Just noticed that the CMP is sold out of the .308 Expert Grade and the .30-06 has bumped up to $1100 (from $1000):(.
Sucks that the prices keep going up, but it's still a very good deal and more revenue for CMP's programs rather than going to all the flippers on GunBroker. You'd probably spend $1500 to $1800 to do the same thing with a parts donor M1. Maybe even $2K+.

Honestly, I'll probably flip the Field Grade (or Service Grade) that is coming in the next few weeks unless it is something way cool that is uncommon. Doubt that will happen, as CMP snatches up anything cool and reserves it for auction. Used to be some very interesting rifles that would randomly pop up for buyers.

Back
Top Bottom