M1 Garand Megathread

I might have one , I will check . Im in hanover MA. Im not sure if its for the new or old size case. If your not shipping it I think I have a old box with the egg crate foam.
You can give him the case after?
Hanover would be nice, if you do have one. The rifle I am planning to gift is a 2015 shipped SG. Not sure whether that falls into the newer or older category.

Hanover would be nice, if you do have one. The rifle I am planning to gift is a 2015 shipped SG. Not sure whether that falls into the newer or older category.
I will dig it out later, if you can use it take it.
cmp hard cases have changed a few times. Box I have might fit the cmp “green case”
Egg foam box will fit rifle only.

Check out new CMP EXPERT GRADE M1 GARAND. On their rifle sales web page. $1000 in 30-06 or 308. New commercial barrel and stock, otherwise meets service grade criteria. 6-8 week delivery.
As far as I can see, there is no huge difference between the new “Expert” and the original “Special”. The Special was a completely refurbed rifle, where “the receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.” While the Expert is a service grade rifle with a new stock and barrel.

So since I have a Service Grade and a Special in .30-06, I decided to do a quick tear down to see how they compare. To be honest, from a wear point of view they were virtually identical. The finish on some of the Special's parts looked a bit better (particularly the sight group and receiver) but functionally they looked the same. I did not try to measure them, so the Service Grade might have some measurable wear, but nothing that has ever affected its performance and certainly nothing noticeable to the naked eye. The Special came with a Criterion barrel but they don’t state what barrel the Expert comes with. I can’t say anything about the springs, since, even with the Specials, I always install a new complete spring set whenever I get a Garand. At $26.95 it’s cheap insurance.

So here is a pic comparing the two. The Service Grade ($750) on top and the Special ($1050) on bottom.

M1 Compare.jpg
Not a lot of visible difference ( I have refinished both stocks ).

So at $1,000 ($50 cheaper than the Special was) it seems that the Expert is a good deal, particularly in today's market. If you consider a new barrel will run you $200 plus $75 to install and a new stock (with metal) goes for around $150, you’d spend a total of $425 to get a normal Service Grade up to the Expert. So at only $250 more than the $750 for a Service Grade, the Expert is a no brainer if you’re more interested in shoot-ability than history.

Last edited:
Sent PM
I will toss it in my truck

Attachments

• 8A2FE847-25F0-4D26-8AC4-2E4BD8F633CC.jpeg
    8A2FE847-25F0-4D26-8AC4-2E4BD8F633CC.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Doesn’t ship to MA but you can ship to the UPS Store in Salem, NH for a $5 fee with no account needed.

I know nothing of this ammo. @mac1911 @jpm would know better than me.
Link says im not worthy? Wont come up.
How much is it?

Doesn’t ship to MA but you can ship to the UPS Store in Salem, NH for a $5 fee with no account needed.

Im always worried about how this stuff was stored? Personally I would hold out on some New Production PPU M2 ball especially at $1 rnd
If they offered say sealed tins of turk in bandoliers and clips at $1 a a round I might bite? But honeslty I would hunt down components and reload .
Theres a few places selling it so shop around.

Well Turkey is a NATO member so it is probably ok and possibly non-corrosive, however I wouldn't use it in my garand. I'd put it at the same level as Pakistan M2 ammo. Lots of other surplus out there that's known good.

Received my three field grades. Two of them could have easily passed as service grades. HRA with all HRA parts except bolt and some reddish color stock I've never seen made in 2015. One million series SA in great shape 52 rebuild. Both have great barrels. Last one is a been there done that 2xx,xxx with a 1943 barrel. This one is rough and I need to wash my hands after holding it, but I look forward to cleaning her up. Unfortunately no cartouches or lockbars. I'll post some pics this week.

Here's 4 cans of HXP for a decent price that includes shipping. Going price has been at least 300...

They won't last long so grab one if you need it!

Here's 4 cans of HXP for a decent price that includes shipping. Going price has been at least 300...

They won't last long so grab one if you need it!
$1.30 round shipped
Put what ever value tou want on the greek clips and bandoleers. Subtract that and see if its a good deal for you.
Like I said rather pay $1.30 round for new ammo than 50 year old ammo.

Looks like my Service Grade IHC is in the 'capable hands' [rofl] of FedEx. It will be here tomorrow assuming they don't botch the delivery, which is more likely than not. This is a lucky grab for me- my order was received the day they cut off sales of IHC's.

Serial is 4483XXX. There have been some very nice ones shipping with USGI wood - seemingly as good as or maybe better than IHC's I've seen on auction. Mostly they are very close to the 5 mil mark for serial numbers, so I'm wondering if they all shipped out together from IHC and came back as a group. Hopeful it's a nice one, though I really can't go wrong at a price well below market for IHC's. For nostalgia sake, I'm kinda pumped to be getting a tractor gun. I operated IHC equipment and trucks on my grandparents' farm. Also I have visited the plant where they were made, though it had long been a Whirlpool site by that time.

Currently, only the Rack Specials and 'Expert' grade rifles are available. I also snuck in under the wire for a Field Grade before those were cut off.

Related but odd side note: Whirlpool made mortar tubes at one point.

Sent my packet in mid June it just hit the e store today. Requested field grade but I’m seeing people get emails about them
Being out of stock so may have to upgrade.

Sent my packet in mid June it just hit the e store today. Requested field grade but I’m seeing people get emails about them
Being out of stock so may have to upgrade.

If you mailed your packet before the cut-off, normally they will fulfill the order. Might take a long time as they get closer to selling out, but they usually do. The lead time is so long, you never know what might happen- it's possible they could offer an upgrade later. Wouldn't count on it, but possible.

Currently, there are only the 'Expert' and 'Special Rack' grades available. The scuttlebutt is that many of the Philippine returns had rough stocks and that there were quite a few rough barrels, thus two offerings for M1's with new barrels and new wood. While not particularly attractive to the snooty collector crowd, these are perfect for someone who actually wants to shoot.

I was given some of an uncles diaries from his time in WW2 in Guam and the Phillipines, he mentions going to an introduction and test firing of a new rifle, the Garand, they were pretty excited about it.

That's awesome- would be interesting to hear an excerpt or two when you have the time. My grandfather was in the Philippines for a long haul then spent a little time in occupied Japan. He told me how he was issued a BAR and promptly turned it in for a M1.

If you mailed your packet before the cut-off, normally they will fulfill the order. Might take a long time as they get closer to selling out, but they usually do. The lead time is so long, you never know what might happen- it's possible they could offer an upgrade later. Wouldn't count on it, but possible.

Currently, there are only the 'Expert' and 'Special Rack' grades available. The scuttlebutt is that many of the Philippine returns had rough stocks and that there were quite a few rough barrels, thus two offerings for M1's with new barrels and new wood. While not particularly attractive to the snooty collector crowd, these are perfect for someone who actually wants to shoot.

That's awesome- would be interesting to hear an excerpt or two when you have the time. My grandfather was in the Philippines for a long haul then spent a little time in occupied Japan. He told me how he was issued a BAR and promptly turned it in for a M1.

It's funny to hear that anybody would turn in a BAR for anything, or that someone would want the Garand due to the weight, but I guess that everything is relative. What is the BAR, like 14 lbs? So, 9 lbs is like a featherweight! I've heard that soldiers loved the weight of the M1 Carbine, but the power of the Garand, so what a predicament! Personally, I'll schlep around the Garand knowing that I could send 8 rds of hell to the Germans.

I think weapon choice was highly dependent of task.
My Great Uncle said the M1 carbine was great when crawling through rumble of bombed out cities/towns
M1 was great for the forest.
Then he basically said….you took what tou had the most ammo for.

It's funny to hear that anybody would turn in a BAR for anything, or that someone would want the Garand due to the weight, but I guess that everything is relative. What is the BAR, like 14 lbs? So, 9 lbs is like a featherweight! I've heard that soldiers loved the weight of the M1 Carbine, but the power of the Garand, so what a predicament! Personally, I'll schlep around the Garand knowing that I could send 8 rds of hell to the Germans.

Gramps was SSgt and though not a particularly big guy, he was muscular and strong as an ox from growing up working a farm. He may have had the BAR for a while, but what I do know is that once he had a look at the mountains where they would be fighting the Japanese, he swapped for the M1. He was in the Army for 4 years with the 32nd 'Red Arrow' Division, 3 of those years overseas including 4 months in occupied Japan. Imagine 15,696 hours in actual combat- more than any other US Division in any war. The 32nd was responsible for 35,000 Japanese KIA's.

According to a friend who knows his stuff about M1's, one of my WW2 SA's is in a block of serial numbers that definitely went to the Pacific. Perhaps the IHC I just received went to the Pacific- though it would have been Korea.

kekaXgc.jpg

Typical CMP mutt, but a good one for me as it has a LMR barrel gauging at 1-1 and a tight locking, solid stock. The hand guards are likely originals, and the butt stock is a replacement but has been on this rifle for ages. No proofs / stamps on the stock, but I do like the dimensions of the grip- it does not feel like holding a railroad tie as do some of the chunkier M1 stocks. Time to go see how it shoots in 'fresh from CMP' condition (excepting the clean & lube job I gave it).

I think weapon choice was highly dependent of task.
My Great Uncle said the M1 carbine was great when crawling through rumble of bombed out cities/towns
M1 was great for the forest.
Then he basically said….you took what tou had the most ammo for.
Yep, as mentioned above- Gramps said he grabbed the M1 for the jungle mountains.

Yep, as mentioned above- Gramps said he grabbed the M1 for the jungle mountains.
I see lots of south pacific films and it seems like “they” did not get M1s or Carbines until late in the war. ?
Reminds me about how my uncle said when the grease guns made their way to them around 1943 ish they tossed the Thompson or handed them friendly Italians? He said the grease gun was a POS but light and worked.

Back
Top Bottom