• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Since The CMP doesn’t seem to be sending out shipment notices, you might want to signup for a free FedEX account. They will then send you an email when they have anything that’s headed to your address. For example, I ordered some of the CCI 22LR ammo from the CMP awhile back and got this email today:

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.34.40 PM.jpg
MHJ is the CMP. You can then manage the delivery (for example schedule it for another day if you’re not going to be home). Since The CMP sends ammo and guns Adult Signature Required, it’s nice to know when they are going to arrive.

Since The CMP doesn’t seem to be sending out shipment notices, you might want to signup for a free FedEX account. They will then send you an email when they have anything that’s headed to your address. For example, I ordered some of the CCI 22LR ammo from the CMP awhile back and got this email today:

View attachment 539006
MHJ is the CMP. You can then manage the delivery (for example schedule it for another day if you’re not going to be home). Since The CMP sends ammo and guns Adult Signature Required, it’s nice to know when they are going to arrive.
Also, to add on, ammo counts as hazardous and 99.9% of hold at locations do not qualify to hold it, so delivery to your address with an adult home quickly becomes the only option

View attachment 539006
Good point. I hear this is happening with rifles. Wait months then they send without notice. Y can check your CMP E-store account but those are not always up to date either.

Also, to add on, ammo counts as hazardous and 99.9% of hold at locations do not qualify to hold it, so delivery to your address with an adult home quickly becomes the only option
Both FedEx and UPS will allow you to hold a package at the local depot, not one of the stores but the actual shipping depot. I do this with guns and ammo all the time, usually UPS but once with FedEx. With UPS I have one of their myups accounts and can redirect it there, sometimes they charge a fee, not sure what dictates this since it's not always, but it was something like $7 so not a big deal.

ORM-D not hazmat. I dunno Ive had Guns and ammo held at my local Walgreens FedEx pickup/dropoff locations. They are definitely not allowed to hold them as far as I know but everytime I do the “manage delivery hold at location” it gives me a list of places based on my zip code etc.
Maybe it varies city to city or by state?

ORM-D not hazmat. I dunno Ive had Guns and ammo held at my local Walgreens FedEx pickup/dropoff locations. They are definitely not allowed to hold them as far as I know but everytime I do the “manage delivery hold at location” it gives me a list of places based on my zip code etc.
Maybe it varies city to city or by state?
This. They let me pick my rifle and ammo up at the Station Landing location when I bought them. The shipper doesn't know it's not e.g. hairspray

I am thinking I should put in for a Special Rack? I have only bought one M1 this year.
If you want a good shooter and don't mind parts other than barrel & receiver to show quite a bit of wear, that's a good option. Personally I'd prefer a Field Grade Special but the RG Spl will shoot.

FYI to the Garand crew- Cabelas Berlin has a good stock of PPU 'M1 Garand' FMJ ammo. Don't remember the price, maybe $29 per box?

I have a Rack special = awesome.
There is nothing wrong with them. Theres enough people out there that would cry though that the finish is not perfect so CMP makes sure to grade the finish often down graded even more than it should be.
My buddy picked up a rack grade special and theres only one pit. Nasty little bugger right whete the rear sight hash marks are. It looks like a big blob of acid hit it. Other than that looks mint.

Check out new CMP EXPERT GRADE M1 GARAND. On their rifle sales web page. $1000 in 30-06 or 308. New commercial barrel and stock, otherwise meets service grade criteria. 6-8 week delivery.

I guess the question now is 30-06 or .308
My feeling is that if you're going with the “special” grades (meaning new commercial stock and barrel) you might as well go .308. In this case you’re not going for history but for shootability. 7.62x51/.308 is more available than Garand specific .30-06 (the CMP recommends against using commercial hunting grade .30-06 ammo in their M1s) and is generally thought of as being slightly more accurate. You can still shoot CMP M1 Garand-Type Service Rifle competitions with a .308 barrel.

[rofl]
1636136709949-png.539548
Which aisle in Cabela's has the alnico magnets for Bondo-testing M1's?
🧲🧲🧲🧲🧲

My feeling is that if you're going with the “special” grades (meaning new commercial stock and barrel) you might as well go .308. In this case you’re not going for history but for shootability. 7.62x51/.308 is more available than Garand specific .30-06 (the CMP recommends against using commercial hunting grade .30-06 ammo in their M1s) and is generally thought of as being slightly more accurate. You can still shoot CMP M1 Garand-Type Service Rifle competitions with a .308 barrel.
Check the rules for what ever games your playing CMP is a Fn mess
NRA service rifle , maybe can still play?
i do like my 308 M1 I built

A 308 M1 would put you in the 'Unlimited Garand' class, but yes- you could shoot it in a match.

308 M1's are smooth shooters.

CMP
HIGHPOWER RIFLE
COMPETITION RULES
24th Edition—2020 & 2021

4.1 CMP Highpower Rifle Rules
Rifles that comply with this rule may be used in CMP-sanctioned matches in accordance with these rules and/or the match program. A CMP Service Rifle is defined as any rifle that complies with Rules 4.1.1, 4.1.3 or 4.1.4.
4.1.4 M1Garand-Type Service Rifle
  1. a) The rifle must be an M1 Garand rifle that was issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or a commercial rifle of the same type and caliber. The following specific rules apply to this type of rifle:
  2. b) The rifle must be chambered for either the .30-06 or 7.62 mm NATO (.308 Win) cartridge.

Correct , check the rules for the games/matches you plan to shoot in.

You may not want to shoot a 308 M1 in the cmp games unlimited class , well unless you build it to the limits of the unlimited class then tour good to go.
I still want to run my 308 M1 at least once. NRA Service Rifle XTC.

Shot in the dark here... Does anyone happen to have the cardboard box that CMP sends the rifles with? They are perfectly sized for the hard case. I am planning to gift a rifle to my son this Christmas and it would make it easy to wrap if I had the box. Otherwise, it is like wrapping a hockey stick ;).

Edit: South Shore Ma, Manchester NH area, OR East Central Vermont.

Shot in the dark here... Does anyone happen to have the cardboard box that CMP sends the rifles with? They are perfectly sized for the hard case. I am planning to gift a rifle to my son this Christmas and it would make it easy to wrap if I had the box. Otherwise, it is like wrapping a hockey stick ;).

I might have one , I will check . Im in hanover MA. Im not sure if its for the new or old size case. If your not shipping it I think I have a old box with the egg crate foam.
You can give him the case after?

I literally threw two of these away last week...if you are unable to find one, I do have a box with a larue upper and hard case in it, I can open it up and check and see if the CMP box fits, if it doesn't and the garand fits in the case the uppers come in, I can give you a box and case if you need it

I have one from a very recent delivery. You are welcome to it. I am near Woburn, MA.

Back
Top Bottom