• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Stock's awful nice! ;)
Best part was I did not need to file down any wood, at least not yet. The lower hand guard does contact the stock on one side near the receiver and should have a little clearance. That's an easy correction and accuracy is OK so that can wait.

esOK, so now I finally got Imgur working again. Here's the HRA M1 purchased from a friend- serial number ~5.6M puts it at 1955, LMR barrel produced 3/55, ME 2 and TE 1. Put it in the DuPage stock given to me at CEATS in Vermont. Other rifle is my USMC 1941 clone project now in an old pre-WW2 C-stock.

YBmPFpl.jpg

I applied all the CMP-legal accurizing tricks I have learned from folks like @mac1911 and someone we refer to as the Spaghetti King. Memorial Day means milsurps to the range for me, so I broke this in with some Greek HXP surplus ammo. I shot my most crappy HXP, a batch of '77 that came in the enblocs. Accuracy was pretty damn good considering the ammo. Shot a couple 3-shot ~1/2" groups with a couple 'flyers' out there to make no worse than 2.1" 5-shot groups at 100 yards, off the bench. This one will go into rotation for CMP matches.
nice stock, oh I think I see your "accuracy" issue with the 03 sniper. You have the front sight AND hood on....no wonder why its having problems. Thats causes random Nodiations in the vibrational oscillation which keeps the stacking swivel from stabalizing

nice stock, oh I think I see your "accuracy" issue with the 03 sniper. You have the front sight AND hood on....no wonder why its having problems. Thats causes random Nodiations in the vibrational oscillation which keeps the stacking swivel from stabalizing

That's a cover not a hood. Get rid of it.

That's a cover not a hood. Get rid of it.
But how will I keep the glare off the front sight?

Of course I'm kidding. I'm sure it doesn't do anything to help accuracy but it would be funny if I had left it on and it's causing problems. I've done dumber things.

So maybe @mac1911 wasn't completely kidding? Keep in mind he's the guy that throws brass at me during matches. [rofl]

Of course I'm kidding. I'm sure it doesn't do anything to help accuracy but it would be funny if I had left it on and it's causing problems. I've done dumber things.

So maybe @mac1911 wasn't completely kidding? Keep in mind he's the guy that throws brass at me during matches. [rofl]
Get the USMC hood. It helps align the scope.

Uh g, the sights mounted with a scope on it really messes with the Harmonics man!

Uh g, the sights mounted with a scope on it really messes with the Harmonics man!
Now we know why you went with a 1903A4 instead of a 1941 clone. That's it- I'm fooked. CMP will DQ a 1941 without sights.

Getting slightly back on topic- what M1 front sights were the narrow ones that Spaghetti King likes? I know the Winchester sights splay out too much to help frame the target.

oh I think I see your "accuracy" issue with the 03 sniper. You have the front sight AND hood on....no wonder why its having problems. Thats causes random Nodiations in the vibrational oscillation which keeps the stacking swivel from stabalizing
Need a reciprocation dingle arm.

1a0hkd.jpg

Now we know why you went with a 1903A4 instead of a 1941 clone. That's it- I'm fooked. CMP will DQ a 1941 without sights.

Getting slightly back on topic- what M1 front sights were the narrow ones that Spaghetti King likes? I know the Winchester sights splay out too much to help frame the target.
Owell your nodes will be all noded....
No idea about the M1 sight blade diffetence. I feel like ever one I have is different and or bent to shit.
I do know Im ready to squeeze the wings together on my m1a

IIRC, in order of wide -> narrow

IHC, Win, HRA, SA

I'm pretty open minded but if you're using your tongue on your Garand, I'm not really comfortable with that. Still, what a person does behind closed doors is only their business.

stinking FedEx driver stuck a blank sticker on my door and didn't knock. I was sitting 4 ft away from the door because I took time off from work to be here for delivery. Now gotta drive 1/2 hour to their stupid ship center at 6pm.

When I get my luck of the draw service grade I will try to do a pre tune up vs after tune up targets.
I have a new complere spring kit waiting for it , plus a new lower band pin and lower band if needed.
Here is a older video I did from another SG SA the shots in red where as the rifle came from cmp. The ones in white T are after I went through it.
New springs, tightened everything up, fitted stock and trigger work

View: https://youtu.be/b7Df5GS2Lps

Last edited:
When I get my luck of the draw service grade I will try to do a pre tune up vs after tune up targets.
I have a new complere spring kit waiting for it , plus a new lower band pin and lower band if needed.
Here is a older video I did from another SG SA the shots in red where as the rifle came from cmp. The ones in white T are after I went through it.
New springs, tightened everything up, fitted stock and trigger work

View: https://youtu.be/b7Df5GS2Lps

When you say "new spring kit" is that all the springs in the rifle, or just e.g. op rod, trigger, hammer? Do you buy them individually, or does someone offer them in a package deal?

Back
Top Bottom