• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

I took a few more pics of markings on my RM1IHCS M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. From the pics I took last time, it looks like this one was built by Springfield for IHC with the "postage stamp" logo and with an LMR barrel in 1954. I do not know what these markings mean:

20210613_122252.jpg 20210613_122150.jpg 20210613_122225.jpg

I paired my RM1IHCS M1 Garand IHC Service Grade with a cotton USGI sling from AmmoGarand, a USGI surplus MOLLE rig and some Garand clip pouches from Crusader Gear. I stripped, cleaned, and lubed the weapon this morning and then headed to the range. The parts looked good, with no pitting, cracks, or oddities. The gas plug was stuck pretty good. Thank God I had pre-purchased an old Garand tool packed in Cosmoline, lol! It came in handy this morning to get the plug out. The parts all cleaned up nicely and lubed up well. I used Enos slide glide gun grease (I've had a tub for ages) on the critical wear areas and a bit of Slip 2000 on other areas. I should note that the gun was bone dry when it arrived, so definitely do not just take a CMP Garand from FedEx straight to the range. Definitely field-strip and lubricate, at a bare minimum, although I always fully strip, inspect, clean, and lube a new (to me) gun.

20210613_195836.jpg

After lubrication (some judicious grease on the hammer hooks, sear, and a small drop of oil in the hammer/trigger pins and hammer spring), the trigger is surprisingly smooth and crisp. I measured it with a Lyman trigger pull gauge, and the trigger pulls very consistently at 6 lbs., 6 oz., and it feels like a good 2-stage trigger: smooth and steady weight until a noticeable wall, then a crisp break. I'd downright call this a "nice" trigger, and I'm a trigger snob: I have trigger jobs on all my 1911's, revolvers, lever actions, and I have a Geissele SSA trigger in my AR. And the truth is that I would not do anything to this Garand's trigger! Is this typical for Garands, or did I get lucky?

I then went to the range with my cousin. Ammo is Serbian-made PPU M2 ball ammo. I had the chronograph with me, and I was getting average velocity at the muzzle of 1711 FPS, so it was right in line with Garand ball standards. The extreme spread was 59 FPS, and the Standard Deviation was 23 FPS. I had no problem sighting in at 40 yards and quickly getting a very small group on the target. Once I was satisfied with my zero, I moved to the 100 and 200 yards range.

EDIT: a note on the sight adjustments: very good! Nice, audible and tactile clicks, big adjustment knobs. A very nice design and easy to get dialed in quickly.

100 yard targets (hold dead on):

On the left, 3 shots fired from the bench. On the right (orange target), 2 shots fired offhand from standing (no support or sling) and 2 shots fired from kneeling and supported. All shots in the kill zone. For the Garand's wide front sight, I'll take it. The sight is razor-sharp and works well with the rear aperture. I like the Garand's sights! Although I wish I had a thin white vertical stripe in the front sight post. I might take that on as a project down the road.

20210613_165249.jpg

200 yard target (hold 4" over):

This is where the Garand's massive front sight post started to become a problem for me. Nevertheless, with practice, I think I could get all my shots in the 12" target zone in the future. This was my first time shooting this rifle. At 200 yards, 2 on the target, and 3 off. I was trying to hold toward the top of the 12" target. The shot just off the target at 2 o'clock was my first shot. The following two were in the target. However, my final 2 shots were way off (on the white at 4 o'clock).

20210613_165527.jpg

The gun was a blast to shoot. Frankly, it does not feel as big or heavy in my hands as I thought it would. I had built up the Garand in my head to be a giant, unwieldy battle axe of a weapon. It's not that bad, really. Recoil isn't bad, either, even with the metal butt plate. The action seemed to cycle nice and smooth, and the ammo worked. It was a real treat to finally see a clip eject from a Garand and to hear the iconic "ping"! We had a blast with this gun! Everything seemed to work just fine, and the rifle seems like it's in great fighting shape. In fact, I wouldn't mind fielding this rifle. Now, don't get me wrong... I did NOT say I would enjoy humping a full WWII loadout with this rifle and an ammo belt! I just said I wouldn't mind fielding this rifle. :) All in all, I'm very happy so far, and I already love this rifle after only one day of ownership. After shooting, me and my cousin sat around for a while wondering what it would have been like to be a soldier or Marine in WWII or Korea. Good times!

Last edited:
Nice score. The etching means your rifle was rebuild at letterkenny army depot in 8-64. Post some more pics of the rifle. LEAD rifles tend to have a light grey park. Also post the barrel date, it may have been replaced during the rebuild and should have a date right around 8-64.

Nice score. The etching means your rifle was rebuild at letterkenny army depot in 8-64. Post some more pics of the rifle. LEAD rifles tend to have a light grey park. Also post the barrel date, it may have been replaced during the rebuild and should have a date right around 8-64.

Post #449 has my other pics, including the barrel, which looks like an original 1954 LMR, correct?

Try a six o’clock hold and adjust the sights rather than trying to hold over the target. Think pumpkin on a fence post or an ice cream cone. When I shot service rifle with irons I used the widest front sight I could find.

Looks like light surface rust. Pick your poison- Hoppes, Ballistol, whatever, and bronze brush or steel wool to clean it up. If there are pits, might be worth contacting CMP. Probably nothing to worry about...

I paired my RM1IHCS M1 Garand IHC Service Grade with a cotton USGI sling from AmmoGarand, a USGI surplus MOLLE rig and some Garand clip pouches from Crusader Gear. I stripped, cleaned, and lubed the weapon this morning and then headed to the range. The parts looked good, with no pitting, cracks, or oddities. The gas plug was stuck pretty good. Thank God I had pre-purchased an old Garand tool packed in Cosmoline, lol! It came in handy this morning to get the plug out. The parts all cleaned up nicely and lubed up well. I used Enos slide glide gun grease (I've had a tub for ages) on the critical wear areas and a bit of Slip 2000 on other areas. I should note that the gun was bone dry when it arrived, so definitely do not just take a CMP Garand from FedEx straight to the range. Definitely field-strip and lubricate, at a bare minimum, although I always fully strip, inspect, clean, and lube a new (to me) gun.

View attachment 492092

After lubrication (some judicious grease on the hammer hooks, sear, and a small drop of oil in the hammer/trigger pins and hammer spring), the trigger is surprisingly smooth and crisp. I measured it with a Lyman trigger pull gauge, and the trigger pulls very consistently at 6 lbs., 6 oz., and it feels like a good 2-stage trigger: smooth and steady weight until a noticeable wall, then a crisp break. I'd downright call this a "nice" trigger, and I'm a trigger snob: I have trigger jobs on all my 1911's, revolvers, lever actions, and I have a Geissele SSA trigger in my AR. And the truth is that I would not do anything to this Garand's trigger! Is this typical for Garands, or did I get lucky?

I then went to the range with my cousin. Ammo is Serbian-made PPU M2 ball ammo. I had the chronograph with me, and I was getting average velocity at the muzzle of 1711 FPS, so it was right in line with Garand ball standards. The extreme spread was 59 FPS, and the Standard Deviation was 23 FPS. I had no problem sighting in at 40 yards and quickly getting a very small group on the target. Once I was satisfied with my zero, I moved to the 100 and 200 yards range.

EDIT: a note on the sight adjustments: very good! Nice, audible and tactile clicks, big adjustment knobs. A very nice design and easy to get dialed in quickly.

100 yard targets (hold dead on):

On the left, 3 shots fired from the bench. On the right (orange target), 2 shots fired offhand from standing (no support or sling) and 2 shots fired from kneeling and supported. All shots in the kill zone. For the Garand's wide front sight, I'll take it. The sight is razor-sharp and works well with the rear aperture. I like the Garand's sights! Although I wish I had a thin white vertical stripe in the front sight post. I might take that on as a project down the road.

View attachment 492094

200 yard target (hold 4" over):

This is where the Garand's massive front sight post started to become a problem for me. Nevertheless, with practice, I think I could get all my shots in the 12" target zone in the future. This was my first time shooting this rifle. At 200 yards, 2 on the target, and 3 off. I was trying to hold toward the top of the 12" target. The shot just off the target at 2 o'clock was my first shot. The following two were in the target. However, my final 2 shots were way off (on the white at 4 o'clock).

View attachment 492095

The gun was a blast to shoot. Frankly, it does not feel as big or heavy in my hands as I thought it would. I had built up the Garand in my head to be a giant, unwieldy battle axe of a weapon. It's not that bad, really. Recoil isn't bad, either, even with the metal butt plate. The action seemed to cycle nice and smooth, and the ammo worked. It was a real treat to finally see a clip eject from a Garand and to hear the iconic "ping"! We had a blast with this gun! Everything seemed to work just fine, and the rifle seems like it's in great fighting shape. In fact, I wouldn't mind fielding this rifle. Now, don't get me wrong... I did NOT say I would enjoy humping a full WWII loadout with this rifle and an ammo belt! I just said I wouldn't mind fielding this rifle. :) All in all, I'm very happy so far, and I already love this rifle after only one day of ownership. After shooting, me and my cousin sat around for a while wondering what it would have been like to be a soldier or Marine in WWII or Korea. Good times!
Garand, M14, M16 sights are all very good.
Not fine tuned match sights byvany means but simple and hardy
The front post is a great range finder

once your settled on your prefered sight picture you can use basic come ups from your 100 yard zero , you can mark your sight with a dab of paint for your base zero. Each “click” on the M1 sight is aprox 1 min of change
These are basic come ups that should get you on target
100-200 3
200-300 3
300-400 4
400-500 4
500-600 5
600-700 5
700-800 6
800-900 8
900-1000

you can also use the elevation marks, I cant see them so clicks are easier to see.
My camera skills are not that good

View: https://youtu.be/UlYxB6dzzKw

Last edited:
Anybody been to Ohio or Alabama CMP? What's it like? I think Ohio is only an 11 hr drive from Lexington. If I could be assured of being able to get another Garand after the drive I would definitely go (as soon as the temporary closure is lifted). Any idea when they'll open?

Looks easy enough!
My son and I took a trip to Ohio 2 years ago,
Slim Pickens the day we went , just got some
Drill rifles . Flew from boston and made a trip
To NFL hof in canton . Great trip

CMP just sent this re: North Store

CMP North Store Update
At this time, CMP has very limited ammunition and rifles available for purchase. Rifle and Ammo sales will be limited to NATIONAL MATCH COMPETITORS ONLY starting Monday, July 12 (visitors must show proof of National Match registration).

We will limit the amount of ammunition, (depending on what we will have available), and there will be a one rifle limit per competitor during each phase (pistol, smallbore/rimfire, rifle and long range). Limits are subject to change due to inventory. Click HERE to download the North Store Schedule.

That's good news. I've seen some concerns on the CMP forum that if it reopens, non-competitors will flock to the store and suck up all the inventory while folks are shooting. This is a great way to handle the situation.

I plan to shoot JCG, MM, and Springfield matches at Perry. I signed up for all 4 Games events but want to allow some fun and shopping time with the days I have available and plan to drop Vintage.

Looks like a very nice Rifle you have there. Great having a LEAD/IHC doubleheader.

LMR barrel is right in the ballpark for a 5mil IHC...

International Harvester
1953 – 1954 sn#4,400,000 to 4,660,000
1954 – 1956 sn#5,000,501 to 5,278,245

M1 Garand Born on Date

That's a pretty awesome IHC. Sure hope my IHC order is fulfilled. When was your order received? Sorry if I already asked...

The new to me HRA shot fairly well last Sunday at Old Colony. 265-0 for the silver, I had to chase the zero a bit at first and my offhand was so-so. Per Mr. Itzapizzashit the stock needs a little fitting. I knew the lower hand guard needed some clearance & also I think he likes some downward pressure for the barrel? Would have given it to him for some work but he left early.

I appreciate dw617 and enbloc mentioning the letterkenny army depot 8-64 marking on the receiver. What did they do to the rifle at letterkenny? Just give it a rebuild? In any case, the rifle seems to be in very good shape.

I appreciate dw617 and enbloc mentioning the letterkenny army depot 8-64 marking on the receiver. What did they do to the rifle at letterkenny? Just give it a rebuild? In any case, the rifle seems to be in very good shape.
Rifles going through a depot would get a check over , any worn parts replaced.
IIRC LEAD was preparing inventory for storage and or National Guard use .

Rifles were rebuilt - that included new barrels, re-park, replacement of worn or outdated parts (lockbar sights), new stocks - basically to like new condition.

This is an example of an SA rebuild from the 1960s. I received this from the CMP in 2015. I feel this is correct, or mostly correct, for the rebuild.

Note a few things - the consistent re-park job, bedded stock, barrel date in alignment to receiver etching. I have a Winchester SA rebuild and it has the same color parkerization on it. As I mentioned a few posts up, LEAD was known for a more greyish park job.

View: https://imgur.com/a/OCCLs

There were several facilities rebuilding rifles in the 60s - RRAD, SA, LEAD, TE just to name a few.

Also, remember that not every M1 rifle that went to a rebuild depot was blown out of specs or worn out.
When the M1 was being prepared for long term post-war storage (per the U.S. Army), many of them went to a depot and were inspected, and if ok, went right into steel storage drums
for potential future conflicts.

Your IHC (with original LMR barrel) may have only needed a new buttstock and a few springs...

Interesting website with great photos and info: Post-war arms long-term storage

1623898853246.png
1623899159466.png
1623899279023.png

Also, remember that not every M1 rifle that went to a rebuild depot was blown out of specs or worn out.
When the M1 was being prepared for long term post-war storage (per the U.S. Army), many of them went to a depot and were inspected, and if ok, went right into steel storage drums
for potential future conflicts.

Your IHC (with original LMR barrel) may have only needed a new buttstock and a few springs...

Interesting website with great photos and info: Post-war arms long-term storage

View attachment 493150
View attachment 493151
View attachment 493156
Imagine finding a drum full of BARs behind that stack of newspapers in Grandma's basement...

(also, I can't say why, but on first pass, I assumed the drum was then filled with oil. color me confused until I reread it)

Assuming they will fulfill my IHC Service Grade order, I'd guess I have another 3-5 weeks to wait before it pops up. Encouraging to see nice IHC rebuilds filling the orders.

I placed an order with CMP for 2 rifles back in Jan/Feb. I can't remember which grades I chose. CC was charged 750 today and I missed the shipment. Now comes the hard decision of deciding if I want to wait for FedEx to return tomorrow or drive 22 minutes to the facility to pick up the partial order tonight.

I placed an order with CMP for 2 rifles back in Jan/Feb. I can't remember which grades I chose. CC was charged 750 today and I missed the shipment. Now comes the hard decision of deciding if I want to wait for FedEx to return tomorrow or drive 22 minutes to the facility to pick up the partial order tonight.
You have to ask? Grab your keys and get your ass over there.

I don't understand the question

750 is a service grade. Your only 22 min from a fedex hub, at least a 45 min drive for me. Mine is suposed to be delivered by 1030am Tomorrow to my work and of Course we are CLOSED! Working that out now.

I saw this guy close to my house and we were heading in the same direction. I decided not to pass him, because my luck would be that this is the van that has my rifle in it and I would have to wait for him to get there anyways. Followed him to the hub about 90% of my drive there.

20210617_182910.jpg

This order filled was a service grade as @mac1911 said. I don't knon what the other rifle is. I assume the 2nd rifle is a field grade. I can't remember. There has to be a reason why they didn't fill both rifles at once. I have 2 diff order numbers although it was on the same paper order form. We will see.

S/N puts this as April 1944.
20210617_191400.jpg

CMP has upped their rifle case game since I last ordered. This case is much nicer than the little green ones they used to use.

20210617_191336.jpg

I saw this guy close to my house and we were heading in the same direction. I decided not to pass him, because my luck would be that this is the van that has my rifle in it and I would have to wait for him to get there anyways. Followed him to the hub about 90% of my drive there.

View attachment 493421

This order filled was a service grade as @mac1911 said. I don't knon what the other rifle is. I assume the 2nd rifle is a field grade. I can't remember. There has to be a reason why they didn't fill both rifles at once. I have 2 diff order numbers although it was on the same paper order form. We will see.

S/N puts this as April 1944.
View attachment 493422

CMP has upped their rifle case game since I last ordered. This case is much nicer than the little green ones they used to use.

View attachment 493423
[party]

Here is a little light reading from our friends at CMP Forums. Scroll down and find the IHC Serial Numbers List and other great info...
Consider Updating the list with your rifle if so inclined. Mine's on there.

The Official IHC Serial Numbers Thread - CMP Forums

So rifle is in S.Boston facility 730am think it will be out and delivered by 1030am to hanover?
I have places to be by 1130 so can only wait so long.
We will see...i think as long as it does not need to go to another facility it might be here, S boston is not far at all.

Back
Top Bottom