M1 Garand Megathread

I mailed my package to the CMP on Jan. 23, and I just got confirmation of my order (so, about 12 1/2 weeks later). I ordered an IHC Service Grade, which was listed as available when I placed my order, but has since been "sold out," although CMP says they will fill received orders that are in house already. I hope my order is one of the ones that count as received.

My guess if you got confirmation order your good to go.

Yep, @GVT1967 you should be good to go. Me? LOL will be interesting to see. My IHC SG order was received on April 9th, which is the day they say they are sold out but will honor orders already received.

Yep, @GVT1967 you should be good to go. Me? LOL will be interesting to see. My IHC SG order was received on April 9th, which is the day they say they are sold out but will honor orders already received.
"Sold out" sold out? Like of everything? Or just of IHC and/or SG?

ETA - I looked and answered for myself. IHC SG are sold out. Still, a reminder that everything is impermanent. Good luck getting your order filled!

I mounted my bayonet on my garand and a 98K I have. It is pretty intimidating on the end of either. Check it out. It's a thrusting spear with a cannon in the middle!

I mounted my bayonet on my garand and a 98K I have. It is pretty intimidating on the end of either. Check it out. It's a thrusting spear with a cannon in the middle!
What bayonet are you using? The M1905, the M1 or the M5? At 16 inches the M1905 is a real spear. I prefer the M1 with its 10 inch blade (used after 1943). The M5 (issued in 1953) with its 6.5 inch blade looks kind of undersized on an M1.

Anybody been to Ohio or Alabama CMP? What's it like? I think Ohio is only an 11 hr drive from Lexington. If I could be assured of being able to get another Garand after the drive I would definitely go (as soon as the temporary closure is lifted). Any idea when they'll open?

Looks easy enough!

Have not been yet. It's on the agenda as I just retired and have the time now.
No rush. A night or two in a hotel so I can shoot at the range would be cool as well.

Anybody been to Ohio or Alabama CMP? What's it like? I think Ohio is only an 11 hr drive from Lexington. If I could be assured of being able to get another Garand after the drive I would definitely go (as soon as the temporary closure is lifted). Any idea when they'll open?

Looks easy enough!
Currently, only Talladega Marksmanship Park is selling rifles. North and South stores shut down temporarily while CMP catches up with mail orders. Check CMP's forum for updates. Worth noting that purchase requirements are the same whether buying by mail or at the store.

Looks easy enough!
I've made the trip to Alabama, it was worth it. But this was pre covid

CMP website shows that RM1 Service Sold out as of 5/6. From what I understand they will try and fill the orders from packets already received. Personally at 10 weeks now so hopefully I hear something soon.

CMP website shows that RM1 Service Sold out as of 5/6. From what I understand they will try and fill the orders from packets already received. Personally at 10 weeks now so hopefully I hear something soon.
yup only thing still up is Field Grade SA or HRA $650
Still good rifles at that price and a good representative of the line.

Looks easy enough!

I did a little write up after my first trip to the park. I try and go once a year but COVID obviously f***ed me for 2020.

I also put in a order for those greek 10” Garand bayonets that are out there at the moment. Bought some a while back and they are well made and look as legit as my original . Right now they are about the same money as a reproduction.

Previous experience with the CMP would indicate that they move things in and out of sold out status as they process guns and orders. Appears to me they’ll identify a bunch of guns as eligible for sale and then accept orders for that many guns, then switch to the sold out status until the process all the orders for the identified guns. They’ll then go back and pull another batch, classify them and put them into the sales inventory at which point they change the sold out state back to the guns price. A note on their M1 page does indicate that they do have additional rifles available to add to the sales inventory:

Our rifle inventory is limited at this time due to our log of backorders and the 7 week CMP shutdown due to COVID-19. Our stores were stocked before we left for quarantine and we did not pull the stock back because it would slow all processes. We hope to open up rifle types again once we have restocked our inventory and processed the majority of our backorders.

If I recall correctly, they have have sold out Service Grades before. They'll catch up & offer them again later. I would guess that the 'body snatchers' who buy a bunch to part out or mix & match to build their 'Franken-Correct' M1's would not be as interested in Field Grades due to condition.

If I recall correctly, they have have sold out Service Grades before. They'll catch up & offer them again later. I would guess that the 'body snatchers' who buy a bunch to part out or mix & match to build their 'Franken-Correct' M1's would not be as interested in Field Grades due to condition.
i know a few of these bundle buyers and parts swappers , field grades and rack grades at least in the past seem to have a higher chance of "older" "more rare" parts and gi wood.

i know a few of these bundle buyers and parts swappers , field grades and rack grades at least in the past seem to have a higher chance of "older" "more rare" parts and gi wood.
No kidding? Maybe the supply of SG's is just running thin?

No kidding? Maybe the supply of SG's is just running thin?
Then got what 80k serial numbers.
No idea what came back.
No idea how many they processed before opening up the ordering.
80k is not a lot.... I think if it where not for the cost of M1 safe 30-06 cmp garand would have been sold out sooner.

Picked up a HRA from a friend this weekend. 5.6M puts it at 1955. New CMP walnut stock that seems to be very well fitted, but everything else is HRA and probably correct if not original. Barrel is likely original, LMR produced 3/55, with ME 2 and TE 1. Must be those steel cleaning rods. Bore looks mirror-like with sharp lands/grooves. All the various small parts look like new. I'd post a pic but Imgur stopped getting along with Safari. I'll either have to find a different browser for Mac or try a different service.

An original stock would be cool if I could find one that locks up tight but I do have this fancy DuPage stock that I won a couple years ago at Camp Ethan Allen as a CMP match door prize-

7JjMT6Sh.jpg

The finish seems a bit rough so I am sanding and refinishing with Tru Oil.

Looking forward to shooting this thing. If I have enough HXP rounds or PPU brass to load, I may shoot this thing in the Leominster Rattle Battle on D-Day.

OK, so now I finally got Imgur working again. Here's the HRA M1 purchased from a friend- serial number ~5.6M puts it at 1955, LMR barrel produced 3/55, ME 2 and TE 1. Put it in the DuPage stock given to me at CEATS in Vermont. Other rifle is my USMC 1941 clone project now in an old pre-WW2 C-stock.

YBmPFpl.jpg

I applied all the CMP-legal accurizing tricks I have learned from folks like @mac1911 and someone we refer to as the Spaghetti King. Memorial Day means milsurps to the range for me, so I broke this in with some Greek HXP surplus ammo. I shot my most crappy HXP, a batch of '77 that came in the enblocs. Accuracy was pretty damn good considering the ammo. Shot a couple 3-shot ~1/2" groups with a couple 'flyers' out there to make no worse than 2.1" 5-shot groups at 100 yards, off the bench. This one will go into rotation for CMP matches.

Back
Top Bottom