M1 Garand Megathread

So rifle is in S.Boston facility 730am think it will be out and delivered by 1030am to hanover?
I have places to be by 1130 so can only wait so long.
We will see...i think as long as it does not need to go to another facility it might be here, S boston is not far at all.
So it came right on time! Now you all have to wait to see what I got! Stupid busy today
Driver asked what it was . Delivering 8 of those today. 4 more to go ! Told it was a freedom seed planter. Driver laughed and left.

Attachments

• F85B13BE-15C0-4E75-AD69-7F091B88F729.jpeg
    F85B13BE-15C0-4E75-AD69-7F091B88F729.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 5
So it came right on time! Now you all have to wait to see what I got! Stupid busy today
Driver asked what it was . Delivering 8 of those today. 4 more to go ! Told it was a freedom seed planter. Driver laughed and left.
what really stops me from getting it - i just do not see how and where you expect to keep getting this .30-06 ammo in following years.
it is pretty scarce now as is and will be less and less common going forward. just did a quite ammoseek search - still comes at $1.30 per round.
and a .308 is already down to 53cpr.

Reloads, cast bullets, spin on a 308 barrel if it gets that bad
what really stops me from getting it - i just do not see how and where you expect to keep getting this .30-06 ammo in following years.
it is pretty scarce now as is and will be less and less common going forward. just did a quite ammoseek search - still comes at $1.30 per round.
reloading, cast bullets, estate sales, 308 conversion. There is always a way to get the costs down , $1 or so a round is not terrible if your just shooting a few matches a year or low volume range trips. Like anything else there are things people will pay for and things they wont.
I go to Cumbys and McDs for coffee because im not paying $2+ for a caffine fix
$10+ pack of smokes-no
$?? For cigars-no
$1000s on watches -no
Bars, Boats and such -no
I enjoy the history and shooting even if only means 20 or so rounds here and there.
I have other rifles with harder to find ammo and still shoot them

wouldn`t it kill the bolt? i do not recall - is modern .308 weaker than the m1`s original .30-06? i would think, opposite? m1 is not even supposed to fire some hot .30-06 from what i recall.
No, not at all, tour just not generating enough pressure at the gas port.
I think you would end up with dangerous chamber pressures before you got to dangerous has port pressures with 308 chambered M1 garand

Reloads, cast bullets, spin on a 308 barrel if it gets that bad

reloading, cast bullets, estate sales, 308 conversion. There is always a way to get the costs down , $1 or so a round is not terrible if your just shooting a few matches a year or low volume range trips. Like anything else there are things people will pay for and things they wont.
I go to Cumbys and McDs for coffee because im not paying $2+ for a caffine fix
$10+ pack of smokes-no
$?? For cigars-no
$1000s on watches -no
Bars, Boats and such -no
I enjoy the history and shooting even if only means 20 or so rounds here and there.
I have other rifles with harder to find ammo and still shoot them
Hi, you mentioned estate sales. How does one find out about them? Thanks

CMP Garands got me into competitive shooting... early on I realized the cheap, surplus HXP ammo wouldn't stick around forever, so I learned how to reload. The surplus stuff is long gone. So, the answer is reloading.

And stocking up when it was sorta cheap.
when I started buying M2 surplus I was lacking in spending cash and bought as much as I could 4 tins to a wooden crate for .28 c per round shipped and the old timers around me where laughing at that.
When I stopped buying surplus it was .60c round and the PPU M2 was coming around for for .48c per round
I have enough surplus HXP left to last a good long while plus bullets/powder/primers for another goid while.
As far as going shooting goes I shoot 22lr more thsn anything out to 200 yards.
Sometimes I use expensive 22lr at silly prices, only time Im really burning rifle ammo is at Matches

Quick look, I will try to do a better video later with more detail but posting that under
Milsurps section

View: https://youtu.be/LlYaGJox4mw

Bolt looks darn near new and rifle passes no go head space gauge.
So at some point 52 and on it was rebuilt , has

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I bought this old M1 Garand tool online. It was completely caked in Cosmoline and wrapped in what looked like parchment paper. The Cosmoline was very dark and as hard as lacquer in some locations, and the paper looked like it came from the same place they found the Dead Sea scrolls. I soaked it for four days straight in a closed container of acetone. I checked it each day, and it really did take that long for the Cosmoline to loosen up enough to scrape it off. After that, it all came off easily with a bronze brush. I highly recommend this method, rather than the labor-intensive methods I see promoted online of using mineral spirits and hot water and scrubbing for hours.

20210617_100038.jpg

Once it was rinsed off, dried, and got a drop of oil in the joints, I took a closer look! It looks to be very well-made. The steel is thick, and the thing feels very substantial in the hand. It does not look or feel cheap or unsubstantial, at all. The reason I bought this is because I kept hearing that the new, plastic, ratchet-type Garand chamber brushes are flimsy and eventually break. This thing is not going to break in that way. It was clearly made to last. It has already come in handy, as I used the gas plug tool to remove the gas plug the first time I cleaned the gun! I couldn't get it off with a screwdriver. The gas plug tool fits perfectly to the gas plug, and that gave me what I needed to finally get the thing loose.

20210618_152847.jpg

20210618_152911.jpg

20210618_153241.jpg

20210618_153133.jpg

This has three tools: a chamber brush, a gas plug tool, and... this weird thing. I have no idea what the weird-looking tool is. It looks like it might have multiple functions.

View attachment 493668

View attachment 493669
Thats a bolt disassembly tool. The “ridge” rides inside the bolt face and the tangs will grab the extractor and force it out.
Rear sight screw driver and other uses im missing Im sure

Last edited:

As others have mentioned, reloading is the way to go. I usually buy powder bulk and have primers via normal pricing. Projectiles vary depending on sales, whether I can find blems, etc. I try to find Lapua brass and pay a premium for it, but I get at least 7 reloads, maybe more. If I go on the cheap side for projectiles, I can have competitive match rounds for a hair under 60 cents a round if I buy brass new. Otherwise, I'm around 45 cents per round if I consider the brass 'free' after shooting ammo I purchased. If I use the nicer projectiles I'm still approx 60 cents per round if using 'free' brass.

At 53 cents per, you are referencing Tula steel case ammo. Maybe fun range blaster ammo but the pricing isn't apples to apples. Also, 30-06 Garand worthy ammo can be found for reasonable pricing when it's not a covid shitshow. PPU and S&B make decent stuff at reasonable pricing.

paid $1.30 a round recently. that's way more than I'd like to pay, but I want to shoot my Garand, and I didn't have any 30-06 ammo. that's the way it is today. i am doing some rennovations in my home, and I paid as much as $90 a sheet for plywood. shortages are what they are. I will probably eventually get into reloading. What would you say a basic, but complete and high-quality, good value reloading system would cost? including components to get started on a batch of 30-06, assuming I've already got the brass?

I took a few more pics of markings on my RM1IHCS M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. From the pics I took last time, it looks like this one was built by Springfield for IHC with the "postage stamp" logo and with an LMR barrel in 1954. I do not know what these markings mean:

View attachment 492083

You should post this on the CMP forum. They get excited about LEAD rebuilds. It's a very nice rifle as well.

paid $1.30 a round recently. that's way more than I'd like to pay, but I want to shoot my Garand, and I didn't have any 30-06 ammo. that's the way it is today. i am doing some rennovations in my home, and I paid as much as $90 a sheet for plywood. shortages are what they are. I will probably eventually get into reloading. What would you say a basic, but complete and high-quality, good value reloading system would cost? including components to get started on a batch of 30-06, assuming I've already got the brass?
For basic set up (hope covid influence on prices adjusts itself soon , I have been fortunate enough to find stuff at only slightly higher prices)
Any single stage press, rcbs, lyman, hornady , lee classic cast. Eyes and ears open around the club and you might walk into a cheap set up
Bullets: for general shooting tou can watch for sales or forum want adds and club
30 cal bullets can be found from .18c and up.

depending on how many rounds a year you shoot I try to have 2 years plus worth of inventory.
Lets start small 1000 yr for your M1

1000 168 blems are running aprox $270/1000
Primers if you look and grab them are $50-$75/1000
Powder keep it simple H4895 covers a lot of ground 8lb jug will get you just over 1000 loads.
A set of calipers and dies

i knew I would not afford to buy ammo to play the way I do . So I saved for around 10 months and put every penny into the fun jar I could 10 months later I was able to buy a reloading kit . Dies for all I reload for and more than enough powder/primers/bullets and brass for all my needs.
I load for shotgun - 32sw - 8mm 5 pistol and 9 rifle . Alot of those die sets where found here on NES

For the volume you would shoot in an M1, I don't really see a need for expensive progressive set ups like Dillon. Nice to have for sure, but you can knock out a hundred rounds on a turret press pretty quickly. The turret allows you to set up multiple dies with almost zero time to change from sizing/de-primering to seating. Look for a used Lyman or RCBS turret press- they can be found for sometimes as low as $50. Prices on fleabay are stupid right now. One of my presses was actually a karma.

I use the RCBS hand priming tool. It's much quicker than trying to use the dumb little 'arms' on manual presses and I can ensure the primers are fully seated by feel. Slamfires are likely with an M1 if the primer is sticking out.

It is crazy how much bullshit is out there on topics most have no clue about. And then they call screwdriver bits an ar bullets. Sad.
This country needs a mandatory draft, so all boys would spend an year at least doing things an every man needs to know how to do.
Do they still do that in the military ,

Quick look, I will try to do a better video later with more detail but posting that under
Milsurps section

View: https://youtu.be/LlYaGJox4mw

Bolt looks darn near new and rifle passes no go head space gauge.
So at some point 52 and on it was rebuilt , has

Settled in at 4 up and 4 left , 6 Oclock Hold.
My 3 moa-ish hold doesnt help much
6D7B07DC-17B1-4EAA-AE29-B92867FD2D5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have any favorite books they would recommend? Specifically on the M1? I know all the info is available online, but I'm a paper kind of guy and love reference material. Looking for something that covers all varieties of parts/manufacturers.

Anyone have any favorite books they would recommend? Specifically on the M1? I know all the info is available online, but I'm a paper kind of guy and love reference material. Looking for something that covers all varieties of parts/manufacturers.
I remember seeing reference books on the CMP forums somewhere.
A quick search should yield excellent results there.

When my best bud passed away, he left me a Type 2 National Match that is bedded and never fired.. Anyone have any idea what something like this is worth?

Back
Top Bottom