• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

I decided to order a 2nd Garand, so I submitted the paperwork last week. One nice thing about subsequent orders within a year is that you don't need to get it notarized. I hope that there are plenty left for all of us.

And hopefully .30-06 ammo availability will improve.

I decided to order a 2nd Garand, so I submitted the paperwork last week. One nice thing about subsequent orders within a year is that you don't need to get it notarized. I hope that there are plenty left for all of us.

i think cmp will get more 30-06 maybe some how get a deal with creedmoor and maybe vet 30-06 and 308 back under $1 round.

Actually your notarized paperwork is good for three years as long as your shipping address doesn’t change:

"CMP revised the purchase forms and streamlined procedures for repeat customers. If you complete a new Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement to buy a rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public, you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter submit an application to purchase additional rifles, parts or ammunition without having the Purchaser Certification and Agreement notarized – provided that the “SHIP TO” address on the order form remains exactly the same."

Just received this from the CMP:

S.gif
950d5fba-dbfb-4c63-91e2-1479fdff3736.png
S.gif

WARNING!​

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program​
S.gif

50,000 CUP is the MAX for any 30-06? Is it not. Does not matter what bullet or weight.
Im sure I could push my 110 gn 30-06 loads above acceptable chamber pressures.
Maybe they should recommend ammo only loaded to M2 ball specs?
Now thats not taking into account the gas pressures that could damage or strain the M1 garand gas systems.

50,000 CUP is the MAX for any 30-06? Is it not. Does not matter what bullet or weight.
Im sure I could push my 110 gn 30-06 loads above acceptable chamber pressures.
Maybe they should recommend ammo only loaded to M2 ball specs?
Now thats not taking into account the gas pressures that could damage or strain the M1 garand gas systems.
I think it’s mostly targeted at new M1 owners who have gotten their rifles but are having trouble finding ammo for them. There are some commercial loads out there that have to be pushing the SAAMI pressure limits and those “fringe” loads are sometimes available when more mainstream loads are not. Buffalo Bore offers a 180 gr bullet at 2850 fps and 3247 ft lbs of ME. I don’t think that would be good for a 70 year old M1.

Is there any other source that ships ammo to your door in mass like the big one in the other thread. I’m a premium member there but they have no ammo currently. PM please if someone knows another website.
Not much of 30-06 anywhere

I think it’s mostly targeted at new M1 owners who have gotten their rifles but are having trouble finding ammo for them. There are some commercial loads out there that have to be pushing the SAAMI pressure limits and those “fringe” loads are sometimes available when more mainstream loads are not. Buffalo Bore offers a 180 gr bullet at 2850 fps and 3247 ft lbs of ME. I don’t think that would be good for a 70 year old M1.
The ammo needs to meet SAMMI specs
What this tells me is soon enough they will put a age limit on these rifles.

Not much of 30-06 anywhere
There is some PPU 150 grain FMJ M1 Garand .30-06 out there that will ship to MA, but you’re going to pay 3 times as much for a case of 500 then you did during normal times ($900 vs $300). Only viable for those desperate to shoot their new M1 (and a good probability that the one case of ammo will cost you more than you Garand did).:confused:

Is there any other source that ships ammo to your door in mass like the big one in the other thread. I’m a premium member there but they have no ammo currently. PM please if someone knows another website.

There's a can of HXP on clips in the classifieds for about 75 bucks less than the going price. I don't know why its still there.

You shoot both ammo cans of 30-06 I sold you earlier this year?[laugh]
Nah 400 rounds won’t last too long if you shoot it regularly.

There’s quite a few vendors aside from TSUSA who ship to MA but I haven’t seen garand safe ammo in months.

You shoot both ammo cans of 30-06 I sold you earlier this year?[laugh]
Nah 400 rounds won’t last too long if you shoot it regularly.

There’s quite a few vendors aside from TSUSA who ship to MA but I haven’t seen garand safe ammo in months.
I have not shot a single round of it yet. I have plenty of ammo for it. Just looking for another vendor to ship to my door. For my pistols amd my swedes and my 98K

I have not shot a single round of it yet. I have plenty of ammo for it. Just looking for another vendor to ship to my door. For my pistols amd my swedes and my 98K
Of all the places I deal with 30-06 “m1 safe” ammo was not well stocked at any time and always close to $1 rnd before this mess.
Your best bet is to keep a close eye on cmp and a few of the places known to have M1 safe ammo
Or plan a road trip and pick up all the 06 advertised on NES?

reload?

I'll shoot you a PM later with a few other vendors.
A buddy of mine said that Kittery had Garand ammo on Sunday. Can't remember what the brand or price was. I think you'd be better off buying whats in the classifieds than driving up to KTP and then have it be sold out.

At this point, it's probably quicker to keep an eye out at known vendors or check the classified ads. You're gonna have a hell of a time finding anything to reload with.

At this point, it's probably quicker to keep an eye out at known vendors or check the classified ads. You're gonna have a hell of a time finding anything to reload with.
Double up your investment cash and buy both when looking.
I was able to score some bullets and powder recently , prices where not stupid.
.30 bullets and $38lb for powder.

I mailed my package to the CMP on Jan. 23, and I just got confirmation of my order (so, about 12 1/2 weeks later). I ordered an IHC Service Grade, which was listed as available when I placed my order, but has since been "sold out," although CMP says they will fill received orders that are in house already. I hope my order is one of the ones that count as received.

I mailed my package to the CMP on Jan. 23, and I just got confirmation of my order (so, about 12 1/2 weeks later). I ordered an IHC Service Grade, which was listed as available when I placed my order, but has since been "sold out," although CMP says they will fill received orders that are in house already. I hope my order is one of the ones that count as received.
My guess if you got confirmation order your good to go.

I got my Rack Special last month, ordered in November. Very happy with it, haven't fired it yet though but I'm sure its fine. Looking forward to the chance to take it out. Luckily they held some ammo back for me, wish I had ordered more of it!

I'm stoked! Already ordered bayonet, clips, some cleaning and maintenance supplies, and sling!
The turner and brown slings are very good for actual use in shooting.
Tam slings are really nice

i might try a hillis ad one of my turners is showing its age.

Back
Top Bottom