• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for advice on my next Handgun.

Not unless he's willing to go for a polymer frame like the M&P. That really seems to be the best option here.

I wish him luck on finding a holster that will fit a light attachment.

I’ve used these guys quite a bit and have been extremely pleased with them. They can even custom make it if needed.

The dude wants to carry a .45 with a light mounted on it, theres nothing "inexpensive" going on here. [laugh]

I’ll be honest there is nothing inexpensive about being a gun owner. It’s not that I’m wealthy by any means but I am after something that will last a couple of lifetimes.

I’ve been even getting spare parts for things like my other pistols and rifles. (Springs, firing pins, extractors etc) not that I’ve needed them but just in case. I want to be able to keep them running my lifetime and beyond.

OP - I didn't see a budget listed. Did you have a price range you were trying to stay in?
There are a number of 1911's that fit the bill, as previously mentioned. Even Ruger has an offering with a rail. Sig has several.

Non- 1911 guns HK & Sig, as well as M&P come to mind. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Huns know how to make a decent pistol. If you decide to go M&P you know you need to deal with the trigger.

OP - I didn't see a budget listed. Did you have a price range you were trying to stay in?
There are a number of 1911's that fit the bill, as previously mentioned. Even Ruger has an offering with a rail. Sig has several.

Non- 1911 guns HK & Sig, as well as M&P come to mind. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Huns know how to make a decent pistol. If you decide to go M&P you know you need to deal with the trigger.

I am not letting price Soli dictate this decision. Now that doesn’t mean I need the fanciest version with all the bling.
I want quality, long lasting, tough as a tank. Something even after thousands bordering on a million rounds thru it it’s still perfect (yes I know that’s absurd but shooting for the moon here to drive my point). Example if a Sig p220 does all of that with ease and all a Sig p220 legion does is add “flash” to a base 220 then I don’t care about the legion. There comes a point of diminishing returns. Again just an example Hope that makes sense.

I love guns! I’m truly open to most platforms I’m hoping to get in the end about 4-6 different guns to settle on that i can begin “trying” as in getting it at least in my hands to start the first rounds of elimination. Then process them down.

I am not letting price Soli dictate this decision. Now that doesn’t mean I need the fanciest version with all the bling.
I want quality, long lasting, tough as a tank. Something even after thousands bordering on a million rounds thru it it’s still perfect (yes I know that’s absurd but shooting for the moon here to drive my point). Example if a Sig p220 does all of that with ease and all a Sig p220 legion does is add “flash” to a base 220 then I don’t care about the legion. There comes a point of diminishing returns. Again just an example Hope that makes sense.

I love guns! I’m truly open to most platforms I’m hoping to get in the end about 4-6 different guns to settle on that i can begin “trying” as in getting it at least in my hands to start the first rounds of elimination. Then process them down.
if your price range is open 100% - you can look at STI 2011 tactical or staccato. both quality and longevity will be there, but, price, hmm.

You need... A BODEO!

WTS - Glisenti Bodeo Revolver 1889

Thanks for the link that was a interesting thing to watch. (Haven’t finished yet)
In jest
However while it’s most definitely meets the longevity aspect sadly there is no rail for my light and duct tape and zip ties won’t last long LOL.
also where in the world would I even get the Cartridges ?

Thanks for the link that was a interesting thing to watch. (Haven’t finished yet)
In jest
However while it’s most definitely meets the longevity aspect sadly there is no rail for my light and duct tape and zip ties won’t last long LOL.
also where in the world would I even get the Cartridges ?

What, you don't make your own black powder and cast boolits yet? Too bad! You should've started doing that in 1958, back when I did!

(Joke)

I can't speak highly enough about the Sig 220. I've owned two, a generic 220 Nitron which was my first and the Scorpion Elite, which I currently own. Proven modern design, reliable, accurate, and has a heft to it that my polymer handguns don't. Spring for an Elite/Scorpion Elite/Legion, as the little details add up: better grips/beaver tail, front and rear serrations, low profile slide catch, SRT trigger, etc. They also offer a carry-size that is single-action-only/with safety.

Just do it, you won't regret it...

IMG_1339.jpg

@Laderbuilt

Best thing now is to get to a shop (or a friend, with one of these .45's on your short list) and see how it feels In-hand.

Some pistols "look" fantastic but fit your particular hand differently than others.

Then, if possible rent/fire one. Not just a magful. A minimum of 100 rounds should help you select the best gun for your needs.

And always remember; if after you buy it and you "fall out of love with it", there will most likely be a line of folks queuing up for a chance at it...

~Enbloc

MFS at holliston has quite a lot of stuff to rent, if you want, and you do not have to be a member to do it.
renting and shooting it is indeed a good advice.

@Laderbuilt

Best thing now is to get to a shop (or a friend, with one of these .45's on your short list) and see how it feels In-hand.

Some pistols "look" fantastic but fit your particular hand differently than others.

Then, if possible rent/fire one. Not just a magful. A minimum of 100 rounds should help you select the best gun for your needs.

And always remember; if after you buy it and you "fall out of love with it", there will most likely be a line of folks queuing up for a chance at it...

~Enbloc
Agree with you 99% the remaining 1% is that even if I don’t “LOVE” it I will never sell it. I don’t buy guns to sell them later. That’s not how you build an arsenal ummm I mean collection. Lol.

But if I ran Buffalo bore thru the 1911's other than the delta because gen 1 frames were prone to cracking. They'd stovepipe on me.

That whole frame cracking thing is very misleading and pretty much a 'nothing burger' that became over-hyped. The earliest DE's (and other models) had the horseshoe shaped slide stop cut out hole. The little bridge of material could crack whether it was a Delta Elite or just a 1911 that someone fed hot 45 acp hand loads. Even if cracked the frame was still serviceable. Colt fixed this via just machining in a square, straight down notch.

Also stove piping can have many causes and should not be assumed to be a 1911 issue for hot 10mm. Can't say anything about Buffalo Bore but I do load to original, stout 10mm specs and have no problems with the Delta.

Last edited:
Huh? Something you read on Arfcom? The only FTF I ever had on my Delta Elite was because dipshit Oath Ammo loaded grenades instead of cartridges and one finally let go. It flipped the next round in the mag completely backwards right about the same time it sent my sphincter backwards. Pistol is fine. First (and last) time I shot that ammo. Recovered brass was all bulged like a pregnant guppy. Crazy accurate, crazy hot, and fed just fine until boom. Delta has eaten everything else I have fed it.

That said, I did build an extra slide to run hot loads in my G20 with a KKM barrel and heavier Wolff spring.

Same thing with my Delta Elite. Couple thousand rounds through her and haven't had an issue yet.

HK45. 10 round full capacity, so you're not giving up anything in Mass. Shoots nice, for an HK. Has a rail, otherwise I'd say CZ 97BD.

Have you tried a 9mm CZ? Can't imagine you won't like those, my P01 is my favorite shooting handgun.
Check out what I said a few posts back. I don't like cz 75 style guns at all due to trigger slap in
That whole frame cracking thing is very misleading and pretty much a 'nothing burger' that became over-hyped. The earliest DE's (and other models) had the horseshoe shaped slide stop cut out hole. The little bridge of material could crack whether it was a Delta Elite or just a 1911 that someone fed hot 45 acp hand loads. Even if cracked the frame was still serviceable. Colt fixed this via just machining in a square, straight down notch.

Also stove piping can have many causes and should not be assumed to be a 1911 issue for hot 10mm. Can't say anything about Buffalo Bore but I do load to original, stout 10mm specs and have no problems with the Delta.

I read about it happening enough where I wasn't chancing my 1500 dollar pistol to put a hole in paper. The other 1911s may not have been broken in. But I wasn't a casual 10mm guy either. I hand-rolled some stuff that was devils dick hot. And I didn't limp wrist them either. Idk I'm just telling you the other 2 I had had issues.

Kriss Vector hands down...
arrow-staple-guns-t50dcd-64_1000.jpg
You need... A BODEO!

Check out what I said a few posts back. I don't like cz 75 style guns at all due to trigger slap in

I read about it happening enough where I wasn't chancing my 1500 dollar pistol to put a hole in paper. The other 1911s may not have been broken in. But I wasn't a casual 10mm guy either. I hand-rolled some stuff that was devils dick hot. And I didn't limp wrist them either. Idk I'm just telling you the other 2 I had had issues.

That's a good call to avoid F-ing up a Delta. IMO a G20 at half the cost including a good full chamber support aftermarket barrel + heavy spring is the way to go for hot loads. Eventually I plan to cook up some hard cast Buffalo Bore clones. edit- I'm already within 50 fps of Buffalo's 180 FMJ load anyway.

LOL I was tempted to say stove pipes are a good indicator of limp wrists but had a hunch you knew what you were doing. It is possible you beat the crap out of the extractor.

Last edited:
That's a good call to avoid F-ing up a Delta. IMO a G20 at half the cost including a good full chamber support aftermarket barrel + heavy spring is the way to go for hot loads. Eventually I plan to cook up some hard cast Buffalo Bore clones.

LOL I was tempted to say stove pipes are a good indicator of limp wrists but had a hunch you knew what you were doing. It is possible you beat the crap out of the extractor.

Could be they were brand new too...and the vz grips were like razors so maybe I did limp wrist them.

Funny story lol I had just picked up my 220 and the only thing they had on the shelf in 10mm was underwood 135 grain I think. I was heading to the range with my cousin so I grabbed that and went to the range.

The way his range is setup the door is directly behind you if your on the lane I was on. Guy walked into the range without ears as I was touching off a mag of those lmao and they're louder than f***... after the 5th round I see this dude flailing around like one of the tube men from a used car lot and point at his ears....hahaha he was mad I just pointed to the eyes and ears sign because he wasn't about to hear me after that.

Just dry fire one first, I rub my fingers over ridges hk puts in their triggers. Makes shooting them unpleasant. After 200 rounds each with a usp9 vp9 p30l p30s I've gotten a blister every time. The 45 I dry fired it one time and was like yeah 5th time is a charm no hk for me.

Take this In good humor:

What also you do for work it can’t be manual labor. Does your manicurist get jealous of the condition of your Skin? Do you shop more at Macy’s then your significant other? You probably use Charmin ultra soft cause the other stuff is to harsh.

personally
I wash my hands with brake clean and take hot pans out of the oven without pot holders. However don’t feel bad I use Charmin ultra Soft as well because I am a sensitive a**h*** at heart.

also thanks for your input I will keep it in mind.

Take this In good humor:

What also you do for work it can’t be manual labor. Does your manicurist get jealous of the condition of your Skin? Do you shop more at Macy’s then your significant other? You probably use Charmin ultra soft cause the other stuff is to harsh.

personally
I wash my hands with brake clean and take hot pans out of the oven without pot holders. However don’t feel bad I use Charmin ultra Soft as well because I am a sensitive a**h*** at heart.

also thanks for your input I will keep it in mind.
Lmao not bad.

But no at the time I did a ton of telco work which is snaking wires. Pulling low voltage which dries your hands and then terminating the stuff gives you callous finger tips. It's just a weird thing that happened to me. It never hurt that bad but it was like why would I do this to myself lol.

Now I cry when I do one electrical outlet and get zapped lol.

Just buy a .40 and get it over with already.
Think of it as .45's younger and faster little brother.
You know your professional enough if you are asking us to help choose it for you!
Get yourself one of these sexy beasts and regain your manhood for JFC sake!

45 ACP was so circa 1911. Put down the flip phone and get with the times man!
And a fleshlight on a carry pistol..What are you? A night stalker! [rofl2]
View attachment 420772
I agree with this. Looks like .40 is the best round for undecided people.

You like dudes, so you want to go with the .45
But you also like hot chicks, so you want 9mm.

You can only have one, so you settle for the tranny, the .40. A chick with a d*ck.

Thanks for stopping buy.
I am in the market for a new gun. I have the “itch” as well as the need to fill a certain roll in my lineup. This is a gun I plan on carrying regularly, so it needs to be a workhorse, Not a safe queen.

I am after a full size or compact gun chambered in .45cal.

It must have a rail so that I can attach a light.

Would like it to have a good trigger out of the box. Tired of buying a gun in MA then having to put a trigger kit or see a Smith just for a decent trigger. (If this can’t be met I will deal)

Night sites would also be nice but can be added afterwards.

I am after a good quality gun that will take a licking and keep on ticking.

Unfortunately it has to be purchased in MA.

Okay so before everyone says get a 9mm or some other caliber I want to say it now. I want a .45.
Why you ask.
Well for some reason I shoot .45 guns the best. I have a couple 9mm In full size and compact and a .40cal Full size. And I shoot them worse then any of the .45 guns I own. I shoot my 1911 and a Ruger SR .45 extremely well in fact better then my other calibers. the gun I shoot the best period is. M&P shield in .45.

So what do you recommend and why.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Ugh, not reading through it, if this has been said, keep on scrolling:
I wonder if it's the grip angle of 1911 that just works for you. There are guns that have the same angle to the grip. I'm not enough of a gun nerd to know of them, but I've read about it.
Personally, I'd like 20 min's on the range with you and one of your 'poor shooting' 9mm's and fix that for you. It's you, not the guns if they are quality firearms, sorry.

I am also wondering if it isn’t the single action trigger that makes you shoot the .45 the best. I can shoot my 642 great, but can’t shoot an M&P 9 worth a shit.

Back
Top Bottom