Looking for advice on my next Handgun.

Laderbuilt

NES Member
Thanks for stopping buy.
I am in the market for a new gun. I have the “itch” as well as the need to fill a certain roll in my lineup. This is a gun I plan on carrying regularly, so it needs to be a workhorse, Not a safe queen.

I am after a full size or compact gun chambered in .45cal.

It must have a rail so that I can attach a light.

Would like it to have a good trigger out of the box. Tired of buying a gun in MA then having to put a trigger kit or see a Smith just for a decent trigger. (If this can’t be met I will deal)

Night sites would also be nice but can be added afterwards.

I am after a good quality gun that will take a licking and keep on ticking.

Unfortunately it has to be purchased in MA.

Okay so before everyone says get a 9mm or some other caliber I want to say it now. I want a .45.
Why you ask.
Well for some reason I shoot .45 guns the best. I have a couple 9mm In full size and compact and a .40cal Full size. And I shoot them worse then any of the .45 guns I own. I shoot my 1911 and a Ruger SR .45 extremely well in fact better then my other calibers. the gun I shoot the best period is. M&P shield in .45.

So what do you recommend and why.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Why not carry the Shield?
I currently do carry the shield however light options are limited and I am after something I bit bigger. Hence why I say full size or compact. I view the shield as smaller then a compact.

LOL did anyone read OP's request?

@Laderbuilt , the Sig P220 Carry fits your request perfectly. Probably will have to search for a used one or NOS if a dealer still has one. Excellent trigger out of the box.

Stock Glock triggers are garbage.

Love my 220. It's old school Sig design is really comfortable for me. Shoots like a laserbeam.

@Laderbuilt , the Sig P220 Carry fits your request perfectly. Probably will have to search for a used one or NOS if a dealer still has one. Excellent trigger out of the box.

Love my 220. It's old school Sig design is really comfortable for me. Shoots like a laserbeam.

one question on the Sigs’. I see at least two countries they where manufactured in, Germany and US. Is there one to steer towards or away from?
Side note: I’d prefer new BUT it doesn’t have to be new.
Also thank you both for the recommendation.

+1 for the Sig P220. I was lucky enough to see a Legion model show up at a retailer out of the blue and just bought it. Only put about 50 rounds through it so far, but shoots amazing. Personally, I'm a fan of DA/SA and that is what this has. Trigger has a short resist and feels fantastic. Only down side in my opinion is the pain of the price. Finding this may be a challenge in this craziness, but the way you wrote your description the 220 seems to fit the bill.

one question on the Sigs’. I see at least two countries they where manufactured in, Germany and US. Is there one to steer towards or away from?
Side note: I’d prefer new BUT it doesn’t have to be new.
Also thank you both for the recommendation.
If you say full size and you said you shoot a 1911 well.....why not carry a 1911? Sig makes a 4 inch fastback 1911 with a light rail.

Consider Glock g41 if you are willing to carry a 1911 size gun unless you hate Glocks.

.45acp
Slide as wide as a 9/40
Full size grip w/ backstraps
Fits open bottom 9/40 holsters
Has light rail
Glock reliability
Plentiful aftermarket
Enter your opinion on Glock triggers here. Can you live with 25c trigger job or must you replace?
Can be found if patient in MA and usually in great condition because most aren't carried.

Thanks for stopping buy.
I am in the market for a new gun. I have the “itch” as well as the need to fill a certain roll in my lineup. This is a gun I plan on carrying regularly, so it needs to be a workhorse, Not a safe queen.

I am after a full size or compact gun chambered in .45cal.

It must have a rail so that I can attach a light.

Would like it to have a good trigger out of the box. Tired of buying a gun in MA then having to put a trigger kit or see a Smith just for a decent trigger. (If this can’t be met I will deal)

Night sites would also be nice but can be added afterwards.

I am after a good quality gun that will take a licking and keep on ticking.

Unfortunately it has to be purchased in MA.

Okay so before everyone says get a 9mm or some other caliber I want to say it now. I want a .45.
Why you ask.
Well for some reason I shoot .45 guns the best. I have a couple 9mm In full size and compact and a .40cal Full size. And I shoot them worse then any of the .45 guns I own. I shoot my 1911 and a Ruger SR .45 extremely well in fact better then my other calibers. the gun I shoot the best period is. M&P shield in .45.

So what do you recommend and why.
Thanks in advance for your input.

So to recap you want a decent 45 that you can carry regularly that's either big or small, has a good trigger or a crappy trigger, and night sights or no night sights? [smile]

I'm personally not a full sized handgun carry kind of guy. Just have a lot of problems getting it concealed properly. I'm a huge 1911 fan and carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ a 3" barrel. Accurate, reliable and easy to shoot. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Not a cheap option for a holster but worth every penny. The Kimbers are hard to find, so you could go with a S&W Pro in the same configuration. I've shot them and they are just as reliable.

If a 1911 isn't your thing I wouldn't go with a Glock 21. While a fine gun it again doesn't fit me well. Instead I've carried a Glock 30 SF that works well. If you decide you want smaller you could go with a 36 SF. Smaller version of the 30.

Good luck in your decision.

So to recap you want a decent 45 that you can carry regularly that's either big or small, has a good trigger or a crappy trigger, and night sights or no night sights? [smile]
Yep!
to clarify there are things I would prefer out of the box however if the gun overall is a great gun but doesn’t fit One of my criteria say a good trigger without doing work then I’d still like to hear about it.
Conversely
If there are no night sites from factory and nothing aftermarket then it would become a pass.

Regarding size
I consider a shield to be small a full size m&p .45 to be..Well full size.
A compact m&p to be smaller then it’s big brother and bigger then a shield. So full size or compact. NOT SMALL.

Get you a glock 20 or 21... fnp45 if you want hammer fired...

Solid hi cap blasters that will run forever
Consider Glock g41 if you are willing to carry a 1911 size gun unless you hate Glocks.

.45acp
Slide as wide as a 9/40
Full size grip w/ backstraps
Fits open bottom 9/40 holsters
Has light rail
Glock reliability
Plentiful aftermarket
Enter your opinion on Glock triggers here. Can you live with 25c trigger job or must you replace?
Can be found if patient in MA and usually in great condition because most aren't carried.
Absolutely love the G21. It’s definitely full size and the price was right last winter.
View attachment 420608
I'm personally not a full sized handgun carry kind of guy. Just have a lot of problems getting it concealed properly. I'm a huge 1911 fan and carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ a 3" barrel. Accurate, reliable and easy to shoot. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Not a cheap option for a holster but worth every penny. The Kimbers are hard to find, so you could go with a S&W Pro in the same configuration. I've shot them and they are just as reliable.

If a 1911 isn't your thing I wouldn't go with a Glock 21. While a fine gun it again doesn't fit me well. Instead I've carried a Glock 30 SF that works well. If you decide you want smaller you could go with a 36 SF. Smaller version of the 30.

Good luck in your decision.

To those recommending Glocks. Thank you. I will look at them.
When I first got into firearms I looked into a Glock I wasn’t digging the grip. However time has passed and it is worth a revisit

I know there are “ways” to get what I one though I don’t have the actual knowledge at the moment. If I decide to go this route I will do some more research or perhaps build one. As building it may be the way to get what I want if I go Glock.

Stock glock triggers are just fine lol sometimes its the shooter ;)

I assumed he wanted a doublestack but your right 220s are good options as well. But I'd buy an fn over one because of the double stack mags.

However sigs are expensive and limited to 8 rounds and heavy. Maybe op doesn't care but maybe he does. I've never shot the 45 version of a 220 but I had a 10mm and that gun was great. I would still get a glock and a case of ammo over a sig tho

When I first got into firearms I looked into a Glock I wasn’t digging the grip. However time has passed and it is worth a revisit

I know there are “ways” to get what I one though I don’t have the actual knowledge at the moment. If I decide to go this route I will do some more research or perhaps build one. As building it may be the way to get what I want if I go Glock.
i did not mean to offend you by ignoring your input - but, in a long way, try to look at why so many of us go with 10mm instead of .45, and, if you are open to the idea to carry a full size, the conversation really ends for me at the point of being capable to have a 15 of them in my weapon. capacity first, caliber second, accuracy third.

some folks like sigs, i did not have much happiness with them. glocks are like AKs - they just work.

It'll be at your house in like 4 days

i did not mean to offend you by ignoring your input - but, in a long way, try to look at why so many of us go with 10mm instead of .45, and, if you are open to the idea to carry a full size, the conversation really ends for me at the point of being capable to have a 15 of them in my weapon. capacity first, caliber second, accuracy third.
Plus 10mm is the tits

This is a poor gun ask, but my gut would say a non fag (not ma f***ed) M&P 2.0 Compact .45. The mid sized one that takes like 8 rd mags. Either that or a Glock 30S or similar. Everything else is going to either be a poverty level commander 1911 (unless you want to spend over 12 hundo) or too large. Third place for this weird ask would be a be a sig legion p220 carry, but those guns are likely unicorn tears at this point.

If you can find one (it’s no longer in production), the SIG P227 is an interesting option. It’s a P226 upped to .45 cal with a 10 round mag. If I were to carry .45 it probably would be my P227 Equinox. Holds 2 more rounds than the P220 but is actually a little smaller since it is a P226 derivative.

It'll be at your house in like 4 days
that i personally absolutely do not support nor agree - a P80 for .45 or 10mm. their plastic is not there for that much of recoil.
it will hold it cold, but, if you keep firing it - it will get hot, and it will get softer. after 50th-100th round at the range you may end up with a slide in your face. just saying.

and if anybody here would say a P80 plastic is not getting soft when hot - they do not know what they are talking about.

some folks like sigs, i did not have much happiness with them. glocks are like AKs - they just work.
Absolutely no offense. I just really didn’t think of Glocks based on my prior and LIMITED exposure to them. Hence the post with a thank you.

Back
Top Bottom