• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for advice on my next Handgun.

There’s truth to this. I kept getting smaller and smaller carry guns. It sucks carrying something heavy To the point of not carrying because it’s too uncomfortable.
Funny I went the other way. Now I only carry a glock 17 or czp10f

I love a big carry gun. Compacts are for BUGs. Personal preference always wins... With training.

There’s truth to this. I kept getting smaller and smaller carry guns. It sucks carrying something heavy To the point of not carrying because it’s too uncomfortable.
I have lots of small carry guns got a .380-911, shields in 9mm and .45 a compact sig p250. Etc. they all have their place I can shoot all of them adequately (.45 I shoot the best it’s why it’s my daily squeeze)

Yep I have three m&p series pistols I’ve done apex kits to them all. I have nights sites on my .45 shield and my full size .40. Hence why I would prefer not to have to do those things after just buying a gun.

there is something to be said for trying something every now and then. Consider this though, you are intimately familiar with m&p's and apex kits. If you bite the bullet one more time you will have a .45 with a trigger you are used to. Your learning curve on the new pistol will be that much shorter.

m&p .45c

Just dry fire one first, I rub my fingers over ridges hk puts in their triggers. Makes shooting them unpleasant. After 200 rounds each with a usp9 vp9 p30l p30s I've gotten a blister every time. The 45 I dry fired it one time and was like yeah 5th time is a charm no hk for me.
Are your fingers made of princesses or something? I have a USP9 and a 45c, never noticed anything like that.

How about a Sig Sauer P320 in 45? The trigger is really really good, and I’m sure 10 rounds of 45 is the max in a compact mag.
Ditto for the P320 compact. Great trigger, One of the best shooters I have. That said I could only carry it owb. YMMV.

Are your fingers made of princesses or something? I have a USP9 and a 45c, never noticed anything like that.
I mean now I'm kinda a nerd but then I was pulling cable and had hands made of sandpaper now I'd be bleeding in 50 shots.

I do have sausage fingers though

I mean now I'm kinda a nerd but then I was pulling cable and had hands made of sandpaper now I'd be bleeding in 50 shots.

I do have sausage fingers though
A Glock must truly destroy your fingers. I never even felt the ridges, I just went and looked on my 45c and yes, I do see them now, never felt them in hundreds of rounds.

Keep this in mind also; A big .45 also makes a better night stand gun than a compact...

capacity first, caliber second, accuracy third

I respectfully disagree with this. Accuracy is my most important criteria. I will take a 8 shot 1911 that is very accurate over a 15 round pistol that is not very accurate.
Every single time.
Some guns draw and point very naturally and quickly for me. My 220 is one of those guns. My 1911's are also very "shootable". I barely have to use the sights on a 5" -1911.
I believe that shot placement is all that really matters and that being able to do so quickly and confidently, if I ever have to draw, is what counts.
Everyone has to decide what is best for them. That's why there are so many different products available, and if capacity is what is most important to someone, there are great options available.
A range gun is one thing, but a "miss" with a carry gun is not an option for me. If I have to pull the trigger in a defensive situation I have to be as confident as I can possibly be that it will be well placed. If not, I will sell it or keep it as a range toy.
Reliability and accuracy are what counts for me. Caliber and capacity are considerations for sure, but a hit with 9mm hurts a lot more than a miss with a 10mm or 45acp.
45 is my favorite caliber, but if I was going to buy a 10mm it would be a Delta Elite or a Sig 220. I just don't want a 10mm. I agree it is a bad ass round, but 45 works well on 2 legged targets. If I needed more power, I would use a 44 magnum.
Again, no disrespect and I am sure many would agree with you.

A Glock must truly destroy your fingers. I never even felt the ridges, I just went and looked on my 45c and yes, I do see them now, never felt them in hundreds of rounds.
No only gun I've ever had that issue with.... its not just me I know other Shooters who get it too... idk what it is.

I also get very bad trigger slap from most cz 75 style pistols... so maybe I'm weird lol

I respectfully disagree with this. Accuracy is my most important criteria. I will take a 8 shot 1911 that is very accurate over a 15 round pistol that is not very accurate.
Every single time.
Some guns draw and point very naturally and quickly for me. My 220 is one of those guns. My 1911's are also very "shootable". I barely have to use the sights on a 5" -1911.
I believe that shot placement is all that really matters and that being able to do so quickly and confidently, if I ever have to draw, is what counts.
Everyone has to decide what is best for them. That's why there are so many different products available, and if capacity is what is most important to someone, there are great options available.
A range gun is one thing, but a "miss" with a carry gun is not an option for me. If I have to pull the trigger in a defensive situation I have to be as confident as I can possibly be that it will be well placed. If not, I will sell it or keep it as a range toy.
Reliability and accuracy are what counts for me. Caliber and capacity are considerations for sure, but a hit with 9mm hurts a lot more than a miss with a 10mm or 45acp.
45 is my favorite caliber, but if I was going to buy a 10mm it would be a Delta Elite or a Sig 220. I just don't want a 10mm. I agree it is a bad ass round, but 45 works well on 2 legged targets. If I needed more power, I would use a 44 magnum.
Again, no disrespect and I am sure many would agree with you.

10mm 1911s are no Bueno they jam.. gotta worry about hot rounds cracking them. Best to stick to plastic or boat anchors like the 220

Another vote for the Glock 30S. It’s reliable, it’s girthy yet easily concealable, and it runs like a tank. Mine burst-fired on the range and I sent it back to the factory and they replaced all the internals. It ran and never failed before that and it’s been going strong ever since. I have a little beavertail attachment on the frame so it’s easier to draw and grip. I used to conceal carry a Beretta 92FS so I know that carrying a brick can be nice in it’s own right but if you’re going to be doing stuff on the move all day you may even want to go small like a Sig P938. That’s what I do when I know I’m going to be booking it from place to place.

10mm 1911s are no Bueno they jam.. gotta worry about hot rounds cracking them. Best to stick to plastic or boat anchors like the 220
I have very little experience with 10mm. I did shoot a buddies Ruger 1911 in 10mm and it functioned fine. Accuracy was decent.
I just don't have a hankering for a 10mm.

A vote for SA XD-E, single and double action, with a decocker, so you can carry a .45 round in the chamber and have the DA trigger pull. In other words, it's ready AND very safe. Everyone knows that most people who carry Glocks blow 1 or 2 balls off, or the guy in the middle ( a real decocker [laugh]) , within the first 2 weeks of carrying.
The XD-E inexpensive and very concealable (I wear IWB). I used to carry a Shield in 9mm, but I decided to carry a big boy caliber.

[smile]

No only gun I've ever had that issue with.... its not just me I know other Shooters who get it too... idk what it is.

I also get very bad trigger slap from most cz 75 style pistols... so maybe I'm weird lol

No way. I asked everyone. They all said they don't know what you are talking about. Seriously, did you get factory second HKs?

Huh? Something you read on Arfcom? The only FTF I ever had on my Delta Elite was because dipshit Oath Ammo loaded grenades instead of cartridges and one finally let go. It flipped the next round in the mag completely backwards right about the same time it sent my sphincter backwards. Pistol is fine. First (and last) time I shot that ammo. Recovered brass was all bulged like a pregnant guppy. Crazy accurate, crazy hot, and fed just fine until boom. Delta has eaten everything else I have fed it.

That said, I did build an extra slide to run hot loads in my G20 with a KKM barrel and heavier Wolff spring.

Huh? Something you read on Arfcom? The only FTF I ever had on my Delta Elite was because dipshit Oath Ammo loaded grenades instead of cartridges and one finally let go. It flipped the next round in the mag completely backwards right about the same time it sent my sphincter backwards. Pistol is fine. First (and last) time I shot that ammo. Recovered brass was all bulged like a pregnant guppy. Crazy accurate, crazy hot, and fed just fine until boom. Delta has eaten everything else I have fed it.

That said, I did build an extra slide to run hot loads in my G20 with a KKM barrel and heavier Wolff spring.
No I've had a 1st gen delta
Rock Island 10mm
Glock 20
Glock 29
Sig 220 stainless elite
And 1 other 1911 10mm I forget who made it

But if I ran Buffalo bore thru the 1911's other than the delta because gen 1 frames were prone to cracking. They'd stovepipe on me.

The 29 felt like a ball pene hammer to my middle finger on every shot.

Sold all my 10 mm when I left ma. Definitely need to get a glock 20 soon.

But really the only 2 I'd ever bother with were the 220 which was awesome. But impractical compared to a glock 20 and the glock 20 lol 15 rounds of 10 mm is fun lol.

I now have a rule of 5 guns thing... idk why buy if I own one I gotta own 5. So right now I gotta grab a few keltec pmr 30s then its on to glock 20s

Thanks for stopping buy.
I am in the market for a new gun. I have the “itch” as well as the need to fill a certain roll in my lineup. This is a gun I plan on carrying regularly, so it needs to be a workhorse, Not a safe queen.

I am after a full size or compact gun chambered in .45cal.

It must have a rail so that I can attach a light.

Would like it to have a good trigger out of the box. Tired of buying a gun in MA then having to put a trigger kit or see a Smith just for a decent trigger. (If this can’t be met I will deal)

Night sites would also be nice but can be added afterwards.

I am after a good quality gun that will take a licking and keep on ticking.

Unfortunately it has to be purchased in MA.

Okay so before everyone says get a 9mm or some other caliber I want to say it now. I want a .45.
Why you ask.
Well for some reason I shoot .45 guns the best. I have a couple 9mm In full size and compact and a .40cal Full size. And I shoot them worse then any of the .45 guns I own. I shoot my 1911 and a Ruger SR .45 extremely well in fact better then my other calibers. the gun I shoot the best period is. M&P shield in .45.

So what do you recommend and why.
Thanks in advance for your input.

HK45. 10 round full capacity, so you're not giving up anything in Mass. Shoots nice, for an HK. Has a rail, otherwise I'd say CZ 97BD.

Have you tried a 9mm CZ? Can't imagine you won't like those, my P01 is my favorite shooting handgun.

one question on the Sigs’. I see at least two countries they where manufactured in, Germany and US. Is there one to steer towards or away from?
Side note: I’d prefer new BUT it doesn’t have to be new.
Also thank you both for the recommendation.

I'm not sure there's a German-made .45 with a rail. I have one of the old German-made P226s - they were supposed to be more reliable than early US-made models, but I wouldn't worry about a 2020 Sig P220, other than maybe the finish if a Legion.

If you want a nice trigger, just buy a cheap Rock Island 1911 and throw an aftermarket trigger in it. Oh wait, you want a rail for a light, that makes it tough because rail 1911's get a bit pricey.

How about the M&P gen 2's? IIRC, the trigger on those is awesome and those will have a rail.

You're really limiting yourself with the rail. Like, if you want a light that's hands free to have with your nightstand gun, get a hat and put a light on the brim or bill or whatever that part of a hat is called. For indoors, you don't need some super high lumen light to be able to see 20-30 feet away. A little bit of light for target identification and a pair of Tritium night sights and you're good.

Last edited:
If you want a nice trigger, just buy a cheap Rock Island 1911 and throw an aftermarket trigger in it. Oh wait, you want a rail for a light, that makes it tough because rail 1911's get a bit pricey.

RIA has a cheap (well under a grand) 1911 with a rail on it too. If you get one that was made on a wednesday when the phase of the moon was in the correct position, it can actually be a nice gun.

RIA has a cheap (well under a grand) 1911 with a rail on it too. If you get one that was made on a wednesday when the phase of the moon was in the correct position, it can actually be a nice gun.
Point being that a 1911 with a rail is not going to be an inexpensive gun, thus the OP would be best to look at something other than a 1911.

Back
Top Bottom