Long Island gun stores raided

There always more to the story...from a previous link. Tretola subsequently filed a lawsuit that will soon go to trial.

According to Tretola, in March 2006, Tretola received a telephone call from a Police Officer Faltings from the NCPD. Officer Faltings ordered Tretola to turn over possession of a particular firearm to a friend of Officer Faltings without the purchase documents for that particular weapon. Tretola denied Officer Falting’s request, at which point Officer Faltings allegedly responded “Do you know who I am? I am the head of the Pistol Licensing Bureau of Nassau County.”. Tretola responded in words or substance that “I do not care who you are or what you are. What you are asking of me is against the law and I will not do it.”

Shortly after the telephone conversation, the two men met in person at police headquarters. During the meeting, Officer Faltings stated “when I ask for something you need to do it”, and further stated that if Tretola didn’t do as he asked, he would strip Tretola of his license to sell firearms. Tretola refused.

On May 9, 2007, Officer Faltings and five police officers orchestrated a massive raid involving the Nassau County Fire Marshal, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco (ATF), the Town of Hempstead Building Department, and the Nassau County Bomb Squad. The raid was conducted without a warrant, and was completely beyond the purview of the Nassau County Pistol Licensing Bureau. Despite the failure to discover illegal activity, the Nassau County Police seized many weapons, and Martin Tretola was arrested for Reckless Endangerment. All charges were later dismissed. Tretola’s seized inventory has not been returned.

There always more to the story...from a previous link. Tretola subsequently filed a lawsuit that will soon go to trial.

The fatal mistake he made was NOT contacting BATFE immediately upon initial and subsequent contact demanding that he violate Federal Law in the operation of his store.

BATFE would have investigated his claim and probably squashed the corrupt officer long before the dealer got raided (and thus it wouldn't have happened).

CYA could have avoided a major problem.

The fatal mistake he made was NOT contacting BATFE immediately upon initial and subsequent contact demanding that he violate Federal Law in the operation of his store.

BATFE would have investigated his claim and probably squashed the corrupt officer long before the dealer got raided (and thus it wouldn't have happened).

CYA could have avoided a major problem.

This would not necessarily have been so easy. While the feds require that stores comply with local and state law, they are not in the business of enforcing such laws. If the "required document" the store owner was ordered to not require when selling the gun was the NY State pistol purchase coupon, but the dealer and buyer properly filled out the 4473 and performed the NICS check, there would have been little to interest the BATFE.

Moral of the story is there is actually somewehere worse than mass, who knew?

At least MA is not so anti-gun that it prohibits the DA who will prosecute a technical violator from owning a handgun (presumably to make sure that the DA does not in any way identify with the target of prosecution, and that persons who sympathize with gun owners do not apply for the job).

The BATF helped in the first raid so I wouldn't go guessing they were on the law abiding gun store owners side. Scary thing is this may have started with one bad apple cop but has multiple branches of gov't going after this poor bastard.

The BATF helped in the first raid so I wouldn't go guessing they were on the law abiding gun store owners side. Scary thing is this may have started with one bad apple cop but has multiple branches of gov't going after this poor bastard.

They are NOT!

BUT, the first person who calls it in is looked upon as the "victim" whereas the 2nd person to call foul is looked upon as the "perp"!

From the tone of the info, I'd bet the "sale" was demanded to go w/o ANY paperwork at all . . . e.g. untraceable to the possessor. I know that I've been admonished by two retired LEOs wrt the fact that all my guns were purchased "on paper" . . . they told me to NEVER go that way (and that was in MA)! I don't think it is that uncommon amongst POs and IIRC, NYPD requires a list of every gun owned by a NYPD officer and they basically don't approve of their officers owning private guns either.

At least MA is not so anti-gun that it prohibits the DA who will prosecute a technical violator from owning a handgun (presumably to make sure that the DA does not in any way identify with the target of prosecution, and that persons who sympathize with gun owners do not apply for the job).

Rob, I was stunned when I read this about the DA's office regarding hiring practices, what a place!

I'm unfamiliar with collapsible stocks (pinned or not).

What is the change of length of stock between collapsed and extended position?

--jcr

Same here. What is the big draw for having a collapsible stock over a fixed stock? I read enough about them on here, but am not getting it. Also, what is the downside to them? In other words, why are people's panties in such a knot for having them? I don't get that, either.

This would not necessarily have been so easy. While the feds require that stores comply with local and state law, they are not in the business of enforcing such laws.

I've seen plenty of evidence that BATFE will use state level violations to try to apply pressure to an FFL. It may depend on the region, agent(s), etc.

In "free-er america" this tends to be a non starter, though, because there are far fewer dumb laws for the dealer to violate to begin with.

-Mike

Same here. What is the big draw for having a collapsible stock over a fixed stock? I read enough about them on here, but am not getting it.

It makes the gun smaller and easier to transport. It makes the stock of the gun adjustable for shooters of different physical stature. It makes the stock more comfortable to use if someone is wearing heavy body armor.

Also, what is the downside to them? In other words, why are people's panties in such a knot for having them?

There is no down side. A bunch of douchebags got "moral panic syndrome" back when Bonny and Clyde robbed banks with "cut down guns" and the panic BS has persisted ever since then. The old BS was that folders/collapsibles somehow facilitated BS terms like "spray firing from the hip" or "allowed people to hide guns under coats" and other crap like that.

Collapsible stocks were deemed evil much in the same way that machineguns, SBRs, SBS, etc, were deemed evil.. basically because a bunch of libtard/statist/fudd crybabies get all upset about guns that look like they are used for something other than shooting a duck. Same type of BS persists with "switchblades", brass knuckles, saps, and other non conventional weapons. "It's OK to stab someone with a regular old knife, but never, ever, bring a zoobow to bear, or there will be hell to pay!!!!!"

-Mike

Last edited:
It makes the gun smaller and easier to transport. It makes the stock of the gun adjustable for shooters of different physical stature. It makes the stock more comfortable to use if someone is wearing heavy body armor.

It also adjusts to firing position. Prone, standing and bench rest all have different optimal stock lengths.

They are NOT!

BUT, the first person who calls it in is looked upon as the "victim" whereas the 2nd person to call foul is looked upon as the "perp"!

From the tone of the info, I'd bet the "sale" was demanded to go w/o ANY paperwork at all . . . e.g. untraceable to the possessor. I know that I've been admonished by two retired LEOs wrt the fact that all my guns were purchased "on paper" . . . they told me to NEVER go that way (and that was in MA)! I don't think it is that uncommon amongst POs and IIRC, NYPD requires a list of every gun owned by a NYPD officer and they basically don't approve of their officers owning private guns either.

If I was this FFL I would have gotten it on record with the ATF that I was being hounded to do an illegal transaction by my licensing authority in the state. Wether or not they did anything doesnt matter but having it noted would have been key in the first raid never getting off the ground. Who knows they may have even set up a sting to get the bad cop and the shoe would have been on the other foot. Be the first caller.

There is no down side. A bunch of douchebags got "moral panic syndrome" back when Bonny and Clyde robbed banks with "cut down guns" and the panic BS has persisted ever since then.

As a generality, authorities have tried to prohibit concealable weapons going back to Brutus and Caesar on the steps of the forum. However, I believe that the current collapsible stock prohibition goes back to the Federal AWB when it was thrown in as an evil feature, along with flame suppressors, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, and anything else that made a rifle look military. I don't see that an AR with a collapsible stock is much more concealable than one with a fixed stock, and your average convenience store holdup man uses a (truly concealable) handgun anyway.

In fact, it seems like a very practical feature.

... I believe that the current collapsible stock prohibition goes back to the Federal AWB when it was thrown in as an evil feature, along with flame suppressors, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, and anything else that made a rifle look military. ...

But, but... "The Second Amendment protects only the ownership of military-type weapons ..."

and ... Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

Last edited:

Update: http://www.murthalawfirm.com/tt-gunnery-nassau-county-gun-store-raid-update
August 15th Update: Verdict for Marty’s civil suit came in, and he won! Verdict for the Plaintiff on all counts, for a rumored amount of 5 million dollars. Look for some nice renovations at T&T Gunnery soon. Way to go Marty. Sorry taxpayers of Nassau County, you’ll be stuck paying the bill.

2 million bucks. And guess who gets punished for LEO's stupidity?

the ones they "serve."

hopefully the LEO's/politicians in charge for this bullshit see some pain for it. Bunch of dicks.

The pin fell out of my stock on its own. I tried to pop it back in but the more I tried the more warped the pin became so I just tossed it. But my stock doesn't adjust anyway. There's also a Allen screw holding it in place. Just out of curiosity I took the Allen screw out and realized the stock wasn't made to be adjustable at all. It doesn't catch anything just slides back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom