Local police looking to use ‘less lethal' force

Lynne said:
I wish they'd let us have them. <sigh> [roll]

It'll never happen in MA. They don't even trust the police with them, you should read what the requirements for deployment are here (in MGL).

Because a particular police officer allegedly used a taser to attempt to rape some women that he stopped (back in the 1980s) they were outlawed even for the police as the knee-jerk response.

LenS said:
Lynne said:

It'll never happen in MA. They don't even trust the police with them, you should read what the requirements for deployment are here (in MGL).

Because a particular police officer allegedly used a taser to attempt to rape some women that he stopped (back in the 1980s) they were outlawed even for the police as the knee-jerk response.

When are people going to be able to distinguish between an inanimate object and the person commiting a crime. Stun guns dont pull people over and rape them! [roll]
It boggles my mind that we can carry a handgun in this state and be expected and held to a standard of never using lethal force, but were not allowed to carry a safe non-lethal alternative. the logic escapes me..

SnakeEye said:
It boggles my mind that we can carry a handgun in this state and be expected and held to a standard of never using lethal force, but were not allowed to carry a safe non-lethal alternative. the logic escapes me..

That's MA for ya. If it's logical, it's rarely implemented by our legicritters.

Lynne said:
SnakeEye said:

That's MA for ya. If it's logical, it's rarely implemented by our legicritters.

Worry not, they are probably trying to "fix" that "loophole".

LenS said:
Lynne said:

Raynham among first with Tasers Officials say weapons must be used with care

"Police Discuss Use of Tasers"

Taser International has never lost a wrongful death lawsuit. Usually, the actual cause of death has been found to be a drug overdose or, perhaps in this case, suffocation via accidental chest compression during the police arrest.

I'm aware of one particularly bogus lawsuit against TI.

Seems like a police officer had one unruly prisoner secured in the back of her cruiser. The prisoner wouldn't settle down, so the officer reached for her Taser, but instead drew her sidearm and shot and killed the guy.

The department/community involved couldn't be sued (I'm unclear about or forgetting the details here). However... both the next of kin and the PD/community joined forces to sue Taser. Their argument was that the units too closely resembled or were similar to a real handgun and that's why the "accident" occurred. I don't know what the final outcome of that one was.

Speaking of...

Anyone know the status of the lawsuit against FN Herstal involving the "pepperball" incident and the BPD?... The one where the City of Boston settled immediately then joined the family in suing FN? [angry]

Less lethal?
That is a very specific term, and is quite different from "Less than lethal", with the difference being a substantial - both in terms of what it describes, and in the development of usage protocols on the force spectrum.

Taser International has never lost a wrongful death lawsuit.
Can you say with certainty that they have never settled a case on confidential terms? Settling confidentially would allow them to continue making this claim, while still paying a plaintiff.

Back
Top Bottom