• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Linsky after bump stocks AND pre ban mags !!!!!!!!!

Look at the bills wording.
Increase the rate of fire.

My semi automatic rifles shoots 1 round per a trigger pull. Therefore its rate of fire is 1 per a pull.

If i put a bump-stock on it, its rate of fire is still 1 per a pull.

We are truly dealing with idiots.

Look at the bills wording.
Increase the rate of fire.

My semi automatic rifles shoots 1 round per a trigger pull. Therefore its rate of fire is 1 per a pull.

If i put a bump-stock on it, its rate of fire is still 1 per a pull.

We are truly dealing with idiots.

so basically this would be more of a ban towards something like a binary trigger where it shoots twice with each trigger pull/reset than a bump stock...rate of discharge is different from speed of discharge...1 shot per pull is a rate...speed of discharge would be shots/unit time...now if they said rate of speed of discharge it would have covered them

Last edited:
“Whoever possesses, owns or offers for sale any device which attaches to a rifle, shotgun or firearm, except a magazine, that is designed to increase the rate of discharge of the rifle, shotgun or firearm or whoever modifies any rifle, shotgun or firearm with the intent to increase its rate of discharge, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison by not less than 3 nor more than 20 years.”

There are two pieces to this clause: (1) a prison sentence for the sale, ownership or possession of a device that attaches to a gun; and (2) a prison sentence for actually modifying a gun to "increase its rate of discharge."

Regarding (2), how do they know who modified the gun? In other words, if you modify a gun to make it shoot faster, but don't actually attach a device designed to "increase the rate of discharge," how can they hang that on you without a confession?

Last edited:
There are two pieces to this clause: (1) a prison sentence for the sale, ownership or possession of a device that attaches to a gun; and (2) a prison sentence for actually modifying a gun to "increase its rate of discharge."

Regarding (2), how do they know who modified the gun?

What if you buy a factory stock trigger on a gun.. And then the trigger is miraculously updated with a lighter trigger..
You're the first and only owner.

Massachusetts lawmakers expected to vote on bump stock ban in reaction to Las Vegas mass shooting

Bypassing a public hearing, Massachusetts lawmakers are expected to vote Monday on a bump stock ban.

The legislation banning bump stocks comes after the Oc. 1 mass shooting in Las Vegas. The gunman, Stephen Paddock, had the device on several guns, according to authorities.

The bump stock device allows rapid fire, similar to automatic fire.

Lawmakers in the Massachusetts House plan to attach the ban to a budget bill that's expected to pass today.

Gov. Charlie Baker has said he would sign a ban on bump stocks if legislation reaches his desk. State senators have indicated they are interested in moving quickly on a ban as well.

Massachusetts House Speaker Robert DeLeo, D-Winthrop, said the Bay State has some of the strongest gun control laws in the country.

"Having said that I think the bump stock was something that just wasn't looked at," he said. "I think it was an oversight on our behalf and because of that, I think it's most important that we take it up and that we take it up immediately, and that again we show that Massachusetts is the number one state in the country when it comes to battling gun violence."

After Las Vegas, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker says he'd sign ban on bump stocks
Legislation banning devices that a Las Vegas mass murderer may have used to modify his weapons, enabling him to pepper a concert crowd with hundreds of bullets per minute, would win Gov. Charlie Baker's signature if it reached his desk.

Emerging from a caucus with House Democrats, DeLeo said he hadn't heard objections to the ban from gun owners.

When a reporter noted there won't be a public hearing on the bill so gun owners are unable to formally weigh in, DeLeo responded, "Trust me, I think with what has been written, whether it's news media, social media, you know, whatever, I think they know this is a subject that's being looked at."

The ban will not include high-capacity magazines. "We're going to save that debate for another day," said state Rep. David Linsky, a Natick Democrat who is proposing the bump stock ban.

Linsky said he has received "positive" feedback on his proposal.

"And that includes people who are gun owners. People realized we have to draw the line somewhere," Linsky said. "With the Second Amendment right to bear arms, comes the responsibility, and that responsibility includes to not use weapons that have no place in a civilized society. And a bump stock creates a weapon that has no place in a civilized society."

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/10/massachusetts_lawmakers_expect.html#incart_river_home

No mag ban... yet.

Did they ban shoulders and hands that can do the same thing without a bump stock?

Might a “standard” magazine increase the rate of fire over a certain period of time?
This and the whole maintenance thing.....

eMail to my rep and senator:

I understand that Representative Linskeys' "bump-stock" language has been tacked onto the budget bill passed by the House today.

I hope and trust you were one of the 'No' votes, Representative <redacted>.

The language of this amendment is dangerous in its' vagueness, and grants previously unheard of regulatory powers to the Secretary of Public Safety.
As to vagueness, the amendment lacks definition of terms and is therefor open to challenge in court.
This amendment also defies the Due Process clause in the Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution: "nor be deprived of Life, Liberty, or Property without Due Process of Law" - the Linskey language ignores Grandfathering and all the tenants of Ex Post Facto, and makes felons of persons who may already own items he hopes to regulate. You can expect the Commonwealth to defend this language in the Federal Circuit, as it is already defending the actions of the Attorney General July 20, 2016.

As to unchecked regulatory powers... The language “The Secretary of Public Safety shall promulgate regulations by January 1, 2018 concerning the allowability of maintenance and enhancement of rifles, shotguns and firearms consistent with the intent of this section.” is again amazingly vague and amazingly broad in its' scope.
Every Olympic class, "Bullseye," "Bench Rest" or other competition pistol or rifle will have had aftermarket triggers installed to improve accuracy. Frequently these are "short reset" triggers, which could be argued possibly increase the rate of fire.
Will the Secretary be empowered to create an Approved Parts roster? Will gunsmiths be required to submit proposed repairs to a new Board of Overseers of some form?
Will the Secretary make me a Felon retro-actively, as the Attorney General sought to do last July?

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I am a lifelong resident of Massachusetts.
I vote.

I am an Engineer, three times over.
I have a six figure salary and a VERY portable skill set.
I will NOT be made a felon at the whim of a career politician seeking solutions to problems that don't exist.

I'd call my senator, but he is proudly ignorant of all things mechanical and probably already patting himself on the back in anticipation of Monday's ****ery.

Good to see that they are bypassing the public hearing process for this circus.

****ing Faker will be right there to sign it.

Did they ban shoulders and hands that can do the same thing without a bump stock?
The key word in the law is "attaches". Which doesn't describe ur finger hand or shoulder but can definitely describe a slew of triggers and that worries me more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom