• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington/Concord (Harvard) Appleseed 19/20 April

Is this an event for people who have never done this before?
Never been to an appleseed event.
Also, I'm not able to zero my rifle at 100 yards before next weekend.

Neither is a problem! We will be training you from the start, so do not worry about never having been to an Appleseed shoot before.

As for the zero, we recommend that you zero it for 25 yards, but again, no problem; we'll show you how to do it at the shoot.

If you're at least on a sheet of letter sized paper, we can work with you on zero.

This program is for total newbies to experienced shooters. Almost everybody learns something from it.

Nickle, I am using my AR-15 both days and it has been reliable for the few hundred rounds I have fired with it but the appleseed checklist says to bring a backup rifle if possible. I only have one AR (at least until I build my NES one) but I do have a M1 and a M1 carbine from CMP, which do you think would be a better backup?

Whichever is more reliable, you like more and have at least 500 rounds of ammo for.

I've shot an Appleseed with my Garand with no problems. I would have done the same with my carbine but the carbine started giving reliability problems. If you're not used to firing the Garand a lot, you may want to lean towards the carbine, as you'll be shooting about 500 rounds this weekend. The carbine has considerably less recoil. If that's not a problem for you, then bring whichever you like more.

The garand is very reliable and I stocked up on the greek ammo both in bandoliers and in boxes. I was thinking the 8 round clips would be a pain though. I have not shot the carbine yet. I got it this summer along with a case of cmp ammo but could not find magazines anywhere until this winter. I now have 5 15's though so I think I will get it ready. Maybe I will bring them all [mg]

The garand is very reliable and I stocked up on the greek ammo both in bandoliers and in boxes. I was thinking the 8 round clips would be a pain though. I have not shot the carbine yet.
Sounds like a good reason to bring the Garand. The clips are NOT a problem in the least. We can show you how to load 5 and 2 rounds easily. I know; I had to get shown that at the Appleseed shoot last year!

Since we are on the topic of which rifle to bring I have a quandary since I can't quite make up my mind what to bring.

I have an M1A that I have shot before - I have put about 200 rounds thru it during the time I have owned it.

I have an M1 Carbine that I have put a couple of hundred rounds thru.

I got a match grade M1 Garand in .308 from Fulton Armory a couple of weeks ago - I haven't shot it at all yet.

I just received the email from CMP letting me know the service grade Garand (30.06) I ordered a few months ago is due to arrive tomorrow.

I have a 10/22 and have gotten most of the parts to convert it into the liberty training rifle but I haven't had the time to do the work yet.

I have sufficient ammo, mags, and a sling for each of them. Shooting the carbine or the Garand in 30.06 is cheaper than shooting either of the .308's , but I don't think the carbine is as accurate as either the M1A or the Garands (the .308 Garand should be the most accurate if Fulton's claims are to be believed)

So I can't quite make up my mind which is the best one to bring. The 10/22 is out I think because I won't have the time to do the work to get it setup properly by Saturday.

Any suggestions as to which would be the better choice?

Calsdad,

If I were choosing from your golf bag-o-fun I would choose the M1A and the carbine, for the simple fact that you have shot them before and know that they work. Bringing an untried gun to a shoot can be done, but you run the risk fo faling behind if it doesn't work.

I also might consider the 10/22 in whatever guise you have it in. In its factory form they are no worse than AK sights.

My $0.02.

Tim

Tim is right, and, I do have several loaners (.22's) that will be with me.

4 of the 10/22's have Tech Sights, 2 are scoped. All are tweaked. The 513-T isn't pretty, but works.

If it were me, I'd bring what I know works. I've seen far too many people using unknowns and have problems. Then your focus leaves marksmanship, and goes to fixing the problem.

Ok - thanks for the opinions. I will bring the M1A and the carbine. I don't have a sling on the 10/22 yet so I think the carbine would be a better choice since it is slinged.

As a side note - the CMP Service grade Garands look pretty good - the wood is just slightly beat up - nothing a good refinishing wouldn't take care of. The parkerizing on the metal looks nice - and the muzzles gauge out at 1- 2. I will have to clean them up before shooting them though - they do have a film of grease all over.

Is the 10/22 a carbine?

If yes, make sure I know, and we can fix it so it has a sling for you.

I've got a used carbine band with a sling swivel stud attached. You can borrow it for the weekend. Bring a drill, and you can buy a set of studs and detachable swivels for a reasonable price, and be set. Slings I don't have for sale, unless Fred sends some up in my target shipment.

I went to Leominster after work today to check out the sighting on my 10/22. Lucky I did -- the last time I dialed it in was last fall when I attended Crak's Saturday clinic. It was a fair bit off, and the little pin that detents the front sight blade was a bit rusted in and didn't pop back up when I released it. Luckily, there was an old timer there shooting off hand at 200 yards that looked like he knew what he was doing, so I asked him if he happened to have any gun oil, which he promptly produced (note to self -- carry gun oil).

A few dozen shots later, I had the old Jam-o-Matic dialed in. Here's the target for the day, at 25 yards - sighting in on the main target. Then I shot at the NRA logo at the bottom right, as it was the closest approximation to the "head shot" on the Appleseed target. The two "fliers" at 11 and 5 o' clock were caused by a wasp that landed on the target.[smile] It was last seen flying a rather erratic and hurried line towards me and over the firing line roof.[rofl]

target.jpg

Nice target! Interesting how the group is much smaller around the NRA logo. I've noticed that phenomenon myself when shooting at a small bull; the groups tend to be smaller. Aim small.. miss small????

Is the 10/22 a carbine?

If yes, make sure I know, and we can fix it so it has a sling for you.

I've got a used carbine band with a sling swivel stud attached. You can borrow it for the weekend. Bring a drill, and you can buy a set of studs and detachable swivels for a reasonable price, and be set. Slings I don't have for sale, unless Fred sends some up in my target shipment.

Thanks for the offer Nickle.

The 10/22 is a carbine. I have all the parts to convert it - I just haven't had the time to do the work. I was going to bring the M1 Carbine as a backup - I have plenty of mags and ammo for that too.

I have an order I am waiting for from Freds' too - I am pretty sure he already charged my credit card, but I have yet to see the order. I will have to ask him about that.

Nice target! Interesting how the group is much smaller around the NRA logo. I've noticed that phenomenon myself when shooting at a small bull; the groups tend to be smaller. Aim small.. miss small????

I've noticed that too. But in this case mostly, I was using the main target to tweak it in one shot at a time, then I proved it out with the NRA logo when I felt I had it right.

When we're firing the Official RWVA Volley (and, yes, we're doing the 10 AM GOAL Volley as well):

Remember, we're covering from Massachusetts to California.

"The Shot Heard Across the Nation "

This will happen on Sat, 4/19, at 1700 east coast time.
We will shoot the Red Coat Target, 13 rounds, all prone.

Co-ordinate this into your COF for your time zone. I suggest you get yourselves ready approximately 10 minutes before "go" time. Allow no more than 2 minutes to shoot the target.

Can't wait to hear those rounds go off! DW

Last edited:
(From another forum)

When is setup?

On another note - one of our attendees has offered to bring a 20x30 canopy - this is a rigid framed monster. He says it takes 4 people about 15 minutes to set up (I'm betting more on 30, but that's just the pessimist in me). Since the forcast now includes a 30% chance of rain on Sunday, I'm thinking that this is a good idea...

When should we try to do this?

I'll also have a 10'x10' canopy and a 5 gal water cooler with VT spring water.

These will get set up Saturday AM, but, when do we want to do setup?

I won't be in the area until early evening, maybe late evening, due to waiting for a package.

What time does this end on Saturday and Sunday? Also any plans for dinner or drinks Saturday night ?
I live and work close to the club and Ayer has a few spots about 10 minutes from the club.

JP O'Hanlons Irish PUb and food

Nashoba Club Pizza, chicken and bar

Billiards Cafe Pool with bar and some food

Thirty One Main no wesbite but a new restaurant and bar on 31 Main St Ayer.

It's an area adjacent to the end of the 300 yard range. You can just make out the berm in the picture separating the 300 yard range from the 65 yard range. You access the 675 by following the road past the "Plate, cowboy and IPSC ranges".

Down at the end of the 200/300 yard range, there's a range marked out BEHIND the 200 yard berm. That's at the far left edge of that photo, just to the left of the last action pit. You walk in by the pits, IIRC. We'll be putting up a flag on the 200 yard range to let them know not to use it, I think.

I believe it's the 65 yard range, down past the action pits.

It's been a while since I've been there... I recall there being some room for parking down by the pits, but not a lot. Does HSC want us to park down by the 65, or up at the main lot by the clubhouse?

Looking forward to learning with y'all!

What time does this end on Saturday and Sunday? Also any plans for dinner or drinks Saturday night ?
I live and work close to the club and Ayer has a few spots about 10 minutes from the club.

JP O'Hanlons Irish PUb and food

Nashoba Club Pizza, chicken and bar

Billiards Cafe Pool with bar and some food

Thirty One Main no wesbite but a new restaurant and bar on 31 Main St Ayer.

I want to go somewhere and watch the UFC fight, and anyone is welcome to join me. The only place I know that is Broadcasting the fight is Good Times in Somerville, but if someone knows of another place, please speak up. Or if someone nearby wants to PPV the fight, I'd happily chip in & provide beer.

Back
Top Bottom