• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington/Concord (Harvard) Appleseed 19/20 April

Looks like the UFC fight starts at 10:00 PM, I will probably be asleep by then. I was thinking more like dinner with a drink or two right after the shooting.
There is a sports bar even closer (3.7 miles) to HSC, it has been there for years with various names and I haven't been to the current incarnation but it did get a good review in the Boston Globe.

Chip Shots

By 10 PM, I'll be snoozing - this is going to be a long day, folks - think carefully about what you want to do on Sunday. Shoot Rifleman, or still be asleep because you were up to midnight?

You HAVE heard of TiVo or videotape, right?

The Dwarven1 is right (as usual).

IF I do my job right, you're going to be too tired and too sore to do much anything other than sleep by 10 PM.

Not that we're like Drill Sergeants, because we aren't. But, because it's a high paced course. Ask Tony Dedo about it, though he'll probably watch the fight. He does know what he's getting into, though.

I can tell you that Saturday, we'll be firing 2 volleys at 5 PM, and one of them is going to be interesting, and MAKE you appreciate a semi-auto.

I sure I will go to sleep early but I figure we will be pretty hungry by the end of the day. Maybe the young and/or energetic among us will be up late but I plan on eating and having a beer and crashing early, once I go home I doubt I would go out again. The club has bathrooms and sinks so if anyone is up for washing up after the shoot and heading straight out to dinner I would be interested.

I picked up a boresnake at Blue Northern yesterday and they had some 5.56 tracers, I had to pick up a box, it won't be very dark at 5 but I figured they would be cool to try out. Assuming there is no problem using them at the range, I'll check the rulebook.

I picked up a boresnake at Blue Northern yesterday and they had some 5.56 tracers, I had to pick up a box, it won't be very dark at 5 but I figured they would be cool to try out. Assuming there is no problem using them at the range, I'll check the rulebook.
Ned, I just checked the rulebook online, and the only prohibition I could find for the outdoor ranges was no exploding targets are allowed. Looks like tracers are OK.

Oh, and I will have a box of baby wipes for anyone wanting to take a first cut of lead and powder residue off of their hands.

One other thing - the club will be selling lunch on both days, and they also will have breakfast available on Sunday morning. We can't shoot before 9:00 AM Sunday, anyway.

Nah, I've already got you listed as pre-registered. Could charge you double, but what's the point?

Eventbrite lets us capture the info to forward to the Shoot Bosses, so they know who is coming. I saw one military free. Then I remembered, and it was a DOH! moment, as I KNEW you were coming, and sure enough, that was you.

The updated Flyer:

HarvardFlyer.jpg

Ned, I just checked the rulebook online, and the only prohibition I could find for the outdoor ranges was no exploding targets are allowed. Looks like tracers are OK.

Club might not have any rules, but with the fire danger so high at the moment, I would recommend NOT using tracers. Doesn't take much of a ricochet or splatter to flip some tracer material off the range and into dry brush.

Never shot a tracer before so I will follow the advice on the board from people who have. I thought it might be cool to use during the 5:00 commerative shot but I do not want to start any fires.
It has been pretty dry for April but wouldn't this normally be one of the wetter times of the year?
As I bought them I figured there was a chance I would really see them as intended as most ranges are closed at dark but they are nice to have in SHTF situations.
I just googled them and see they have a pyrotechnic charge, I can see how they would be dangerous.[devil2]

Eddie, Nickle said spectators are welcome if they sign a liability form. As far as HSC, there are plenty of members who will be at the shoot who could have you as a guest, myself included.

Is it OK if I stop by and say Hi?

If you do, I'll pack some .500 brass I've been saving for ya.

Just finished packing the Canopy into the truck (25 poles, 8 concrete footings, big box of fittings, and the MONSTER tarp...) Sure hope someone is there early to help/show me where to set it up. (^_^)

I am SO looking forward to this weekend. Got my parents to watch the kid so my wife can take it easy, looks like AWESOME weather. WOO HOO!!!!....

Is it OK if I stop by and say Hi?
Sure! Like Ned said, just sign the waiver. Or heck, bring a few bucks and sign up as a walkin. Should be some loaner rifles around if needed. (Or are you going to shoot 500 rounds of .500 Magnum out of that carbine? [smile])

Just finished packing the Canopy into the truck (25 poles, 8 concrete footings, big box of fittings, and the MONSTER tarp...) Sure hope someone is there early to help/show me where to set it up. (^_^)
Right now Roger and I (and our respective spice, and my niece) are tentatively planning to show up at 7:30 or so... How accurate is that 15 minute setup time? Should we make it earlier?

How accurate is that 15 minute setup time? Should we make it earlier?

Pretty accurate. Not rocket science. But you do need to be able to put the round peg into the round hole.... (^_^)

Basically, you set out 17 poles to create a set of 6 squares 3x2, attach the couplings, attach the canopy, raise one side, raise the other, attach footings. 4 people makes it go pretty quick for the attach and raise part.

7:30 it is...

Not that anybody's going to read this in time, but here goes nothing.

Please don't shoot tracers. We won't be shooting after dark anyway (it's going to wrap up around 5pmish).

I have all of the stuff necessary to put up the target line except for cardboard, but I'm working on that right now. If people who want to help can bring extra cordless drills (with a phillips screw bit) and small sledge hammers to bang posts into the ground, that'd be great. I have two of each and Ross is also bringing some, but the more we spread that out the less work it's going to be. I'll try to be there by 6.

Also, for during the day, the more staplers we have, the quicker target reset goes.

Sorry, this should've all been done but work shipped me out to the middle of nowhere for a couple weeks and I just got back this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Not that anybody's going to read this in time, but here goes nothing.

I am still up, I had a ton to do and just finished getting my gear all ready to go. I can bring a cordless drill and a small sledge but I do not know how early I will get there, certainly not 6:00 [shocked] maybe 7:30 or 8:00.

Do you need cardboard? I have a few cardboard boxes at home but I could stop by my office in Ayer and get more in the morning, I am driving by on the way to HSC.

On the off chance anyone who's coming tomorrow sees this, does anyone have a spare Tech Sights front sight set screw? I wondered why I was way off to the right on the last target of the day, looks like my front sight lost the set screw. I lock-tited it, but since I did it at the last minute, it probably hadn't set hard enough. Anyone know the size so i can pick up another screw? The tech-sights web site doesn't say.

Jar, I know you found out today, but just for anyone else reading, the set screw for the Tech-Sights front sight is an 8-32, and I think it's about 3/8" or 1/2". It's also an Allen head.

and folks... I found out the hard way this weekend. LOC-TITE EVERYTHING!!!

Congrats to Dwarven1:

RIFLEMAN!

+1.

I had a great time at the Appleseed this weekend. My highest score of the weekend was a 192. With what I know now, I'll definitely be knocking at the door of rifleman when I shoot the AQT again with fresh eyes. Big thanks to everyone who helped make this happen, especially Nickle, who ran the shoot and Jim, who ran the rimfire line most of the weekend. I made a lot of progress this weekend thanks to the top notch instruction. I highly recommend the appleseed program to anyone who wants to get some decent skill with a rifle.

LOC-TITE EVERYTHING!!!

+1 to that! I must have shot for a good half hour through a loose rear sight yesterday... and then had my front sight drop clean off halfway through the first afternoon.

The Tech Sights instructions clearly recommend the use of Loc-Tite. Next time, I will RTFM [smile]

A big THANK YOU to all the folks who put on and attended this Appleseed: it was my first, but it will not be my last!

Last edited:
I had a great time at the Appleseed this weekend. My highest score of the weekend was a 192. With what I know now, I'll definitely be knocking at the door of rifleman when I shoot the AQT again with fresh eyes. Big thanks to everyone who helped make this happen, especially Nickle, who ran the shoot and Jim, who ran the rimfire line most of the weekend. I made a lot of progress this weekend thanks to the top notch instruction. I highly recommend the appleseed program to anyone who wants to get some decent skill with a rifle.

+1 A huge thank you to all the instructors for their tutelage! I went from being decent with a rifle to a rifleman. [smile] My g/f was also knocking on expert, even with a rear tech sight that didn't see locktite and wandered loose. With a bit of practice and a solid rear sight I have no doubts she'll see rifleman too in Jericho, VT.

Back
Top Bottom