Lexington/Concord (Harvard) Appleseed 19/20 April

Heh. I've already gotten yelled at for not realizing that Seder should be Saturday night.

Funny... you don't look Jewish!

Heh. I've already gotten yelled at for not realizing that Seder should be Saturday night.

Funny... you don't look Jewish!
I'm not. I'm sure there's a Jewish Portuguese population out there though[wink]
My sister does all the kitchen work for the holidays at the synagogue and I help out. My mother used to do it but she's getting up there and my sister has taken over. Last I knew, the turn out was going to be very low so they were thinking of canceling. That's why I'm in a holding pattern.

I'll be there, and hopefully with a small crew in tow.

Hey Dwarven1, are we going to see Liz at this one?

readthethread.gif

Niece, nephew, nephew's fiancee and Mrs. Dwarven1. Yup, the whole clan is coming out for this one... [smile]

readthethread.gif

Niece, nephew, nephew's fiancee and Mrs. Dwarven1. Yup, the whole clan is coming out for this one... [smile]

You are going to get the 4 of them pre-registered, right? (They aren't as of this post.)

Folks, the numbers are climbing, so we should have a good crowd there.

If you ever want to good AR help, this is the time, as we've got some awesome AR savvy Instructors on tap, including Derek. For those that don't know, Derek taught marksmanship in the Marine Corps. He's planning on helping us for this event.

We've also got a couple of really knowedgeable M1/M14 guys, and a couple of FAL owners as part of our crew.

And, you get to meet the infamous Fred.

Well, I'm registered along with my wife. I'll nag the kids, though... I thought that Liz, at least, was pre-reged by now.

I have an AR-15 and I would like to get comfortable with it (an the new NES AR-15 I will have this summer) so I would like to use it at the shoot. On the other hand, I also want to get a 22 rifle and Four seasons advertises the Ruger 10/22 I have read about on this thread for $199 which is probably about the cost of the AR ammo for the weekend.

I have the same quandary. I'd love to focus my range time on my AR, but I can't see spending the $ on 75-gr ammo for 25-yd range reduced practice (which is not to question the value of 25-yd practice... I'm strictly talking about the economics of it). I've used this appleseed as an excuse to overhaul the old 10/22, and I'm glad I did -- I can attest to the value of the Tech sights, and when I'm slung up, it does kinda feel like I'm handling a baby M1/M14 (albeit one with no recoil and barely any report).

Anyway, I plan to bring my AR on the 2nd day, but will play it by ear as to which rifle I'll use on that day. The AR is currently zeroed for 100 yds, so I'll probably only break it out if anyone moves up to the 100 yd range.

(And yes, I'm really hoping to make Jericho to finally get some 500-yd practice in, but it's not looking promising for this year [crying])

Woo Hoo.

I'm bringing the AR. Got me a nice case of Federal .223 55gr to feed it. Not match stuff and not Military load, but should be just fine for the purposes here.

I'm confused on the BSZ. Thought you were supposed to set it at 25 so that the 25/200 mark was correct and then you could dial in other ranges.

Well, that's why I'm bringing the AR, to get to know how all this works. (^_^) (well, that and the single shot smallbores I have would SUCK in the rapid stages)

I'm confused on the BSZ. Thought you were supposed to set it at 25 so that the 25/200 mark was correct and then you could dial in other ranges.

That mark is 300/800.

Good to see it's working out for you. This is going to be a good time. Good people, lots of fun, and I'll be hopefully getting over to Lexington for a bit.

It seems every Appleseed has a UFC fight that Saturday night. UFC 83 (Serra vs. St Pierre) goes live the evening of the 19th. Anyone up for a field trip after Saturday's training??? Crak and I got together to watch the fight after Jericho last fall, which was a blast. I know Good Times in Somerville always shows the fights; they charge a $5 cover and that part of Slummerville is always a bit sketchy. If anyone has a better location, that's fine with me, so long as we get to see the fights. Anyone in???

That "part" of somerville isn't sketchy... just Good Times. We'd have to bring rifles.

Do you you have to register to see the link? I see where it says download flyer below but I don't see anything below.

Look for the green paperclip and the small print.

It looks like the following (if it doesn't, I'll post a reasonable copy of it):

Download Event Flyer Below

Thank you, I figured you might be able to approve members [smile]

I activated and now I can see the link. I am printing some out now, tomorrow night I will see a couple of people who might be interested.

Is this an event for people who have never done this before?
Never been to an appleseed event.
Also, I'm not able to zero my rifle at 100 yards before next weekend.

Ned, we're usually against folks switching rifles, due to the usual reasons (they blame the rifle for their poor marksmanship), but your reasons are valid, so we'll have no problem with you switching rifles. All the right reasons, for sure.

If you like the weekend, you may want to also sign up for Jericho, VT, and you'll want that AR up there for sure, as we'll be getting out full distance (400 yards) and possibly further (600 yards).

Well now I am going to use my Ar-15 all weekend. I was going to buy a 10/22 but with the tech sights and other things needed to make it a true liberty rifle, the cost gets higher and I would need to get those things and install them in time which is less likely every day. So I picked up some more XM-193 so now I have plenty to feed the AR for both days. I got it at Four season Saturday. They did not have any AR mags though, I also tried Collectors. I have three 30 rounders now and two 5 rounders ( I think, never used them, they look like 20 rounders but are gimped for hunting, they came with the rifle). So I would like at least one more 10 round or higher mag for this weekend.

Well now I am going to use my Ar-15 all weekend. I was going to buy a 10/22 but with the tech sights and other things needed to make it a true liberty rifle, the cost gets higher and I would need to get those things and install them in time which is less likely every day. So I picked up some more XM-193 so now I have plenty to feed the AR for both days. I got it at Four season Saturday. They did not have any AR mags though, I also tried Collectors. I have three 30 rounders now and two 5 rounders ( I think, never used them, they look like 20 rounders but are gimped for hunting, they came with the rifle). So I would like at least one more 10 round or higher mag for this weekend.

I haven't yet gotten an AR - but I do have a number of AR mags - if you need more mags for the weekend let me know, I could bring some along with me and you could borrow them for the weekend.

Calsdad, thanks for the offer. Right after I posted I checked the classifieds again and someone had just listed some for sale and I jumped on it so I should have what I need for Saturday. However extra mags around are always handy so if you don't mind bringing some "just in case" that would be great. You can try out my AR if you like, hopefully there will be time to try other peoples rifles. I am in on the NES AR buy and haven't decided how to build it yet, there are so many options. The one I have now I believe you would call the "A2" style.

Back
Top Bottom