Lexington/Concord (Harvard) Appleseed 19/20 April

Boy, this thread took a serious surge.

OK, let's start, centerfires are definitely OK. Our staff that will be there is pretty well versed across the board.

The 5 of us currently slated for Harvard should be able to answer your questions on about ANY rifle you an think of. AR, AK, M1, M1A/M14, M1 Carbine, FAL (both kinds), Dragunov/RomAK 3, Tokarev, Mosin, SKS, Mauser, Krag and many others.

Ruger 10/22 22" rifle (Wally World Special)? Yes, I have one. I like the fit and feel, but frankly, haven't shot it yet.

But, it shouldn't be any better or worse than the 10/22 Carbine or International, and I have some of those as well, thanks to a kind dealer in VT and a kind citizen in NH that donated them to the cause for trainers.

2 of those 10/22's are scoped, the International and the Rifle. The Carbines (4 of them) have Tech Sights. If I have any more come in this Spring, they may or may not have Tech Sights in time for Harvard. They would likely be scoped then.

We really discourage scopes that are higher than about 6 power max, with a 2-7, 2-8 or 3-9 power variable, on the lowest setting being the best. Why? Your groups may well show it to you. That 10/22 Rifle has a T-6 Weaver scope on it, and that's what it will wear long term.

We are a 501(c)3 Non-profit organization, and so you know, at many events, we don't break even. Our Instructors are volunteers, and most of the time get reimbursed for lodging and travel expenses, and get ONE free meal over the weekend. Needless to say, we believe in what we're doing.

Ross mentioned a reliable rifle. I'll second that comment. Reliability is far more important than zeroed. A good 25 meter zero is best, know that your zero may change, as you learn to shoot in the proper positions. If you're on the paper, that's good too.

I will say here that an Appleseed is NOT the time to do a "break in" of a new rifle. That tends to drag the line down, while everybody waits while you clean. If you've got a new rifle, and want to slowly break it in, do it well before you come.

Try to have enough magazines to hold 40 rounds. 4 ten round mags is best. 2 20 round mags works, as does enough M1 en bloc clips. We are distance limited, so I can tell you that you are going to be doing some rapid fire (shot every 3 seconds) exercises, including a few Rapid Fire AQT's (40 rounds, 4 to 6 minutes, all 3 positions and 4 simulated distances).

Take a visit to http://appleseedinfo.org and check out what you should bring. Visit the forum while you're visiting. If you wish to join, do so, and if you have trouble getting accepted, let me know by PM here (it may take a day or two to get accepted). We screen every potential new member so we don't get people with multiple user ID's (yes, it has happened).

Oh, 8:30 sharp, and so you know, I'll be over at Concord, on the North Bridge at 6:00 AM that Saturday for the opening volley at the Minuteman Park. I had 2 relatives that stood on Lexington Green that fateful day in 1775 (and others that responded from other towns, but got there too late), and I wish to honor their memory. I wish it had been at Lexington Green instead, where they were.

Last edited:
And, we should discuss what's legal to bring to Mass and what isn't.

It's my understanding that if you're in compliance with the now expired Federal AWB '94 (assume it didn't expire), you're good to go. Comments?

And, what locking requirements will people have in their motel rooms or campgrounds?

Is a locked case good enough?

Edited to add:

A flyer showing the event as a competition should suffice as a reason to be in possession, right?

Last edited:
You're correct about the AWB. Locked case should be fine. Remember that ammo needs to be locked up also.

Also, there are issues around possession of guns and ammunition in MA without an LTC. The only law reference I can find is about handguns though.

Yeah, that was me. I just registered for the Harvard appleseed. I bought a 10/22 on Saturday, now I need to learn to shoot it. [grin] I've got tech sights and a sling on order. Man do the stock sights suck.

Yeah, that was me. I just registered for the Harvard appleseed. I bought a 10/22 on Saturday, now I need to learn to shoot it. [grin] I've got tech sights and a sling on order. Man do the stock sights suck.

yeah, your name rang a bell when I approved your membership there. I did see that you pre-registered for Harvard. Fred roped me into doing a bunch of stuff for Appleseed.

If you've got questions about that 10/22, just ask Dwarven1 or myself. We've done a few of them.

Hey guys! Good news is that it looks like I'll be able to attend. Bad news is that means my trip to Belize is probably going to be canceled. Doesn't matter; I'd much rather be rolling around in the dirt shooting rifles with Nickle hollering in my ear than sipping tequila on a warm, sandy beach any day of the week.

Being a veteran of 2 Appleseed shoots (and determined to shoot Rifleman this time around), I'm sure I'll chip in here and there on this thread, but I do have one overwhelming request of everyone who is coming:

PLEASE BRING SUFFICIENT MAGAZINE CAPACITY!!!

The one factor that really slows down an Appleseed shoot is sitting around waiting for people who only brought 1 or 2 mags to reload. You really should have enough magazine capacity for 40 rounds. Whether it be 2 x 20 or 4 x 10 or 5 x 8, you should be able to settle into prone position with 40 rounds next to you and ready to go. I suppose that's not just in terms of Appleseed, but a good rule in general. It's really not that expensive, and worth the investment in time and energy - if you need to justify it to yourself, just consider how inexpensive an Appleseed event is and consider the extra mags a one time additional cost.

And if for some reason you absolutely, positively cannot bring spare mags, than post it on this thread or the Appleseed forum - I'm sure someone has some extra mags for whatever you shoot that they can bring along for you to borrow. Hell, I think Nickle has more spare mags than spare change lost in his sofa cushions.

Does anyone have any experience with the 22in barrel 10/22's from Walmart? Are they more accurate than the 18.5 inch ones that most other places sell? It looks like they're about $40 more than the shorter barrel'd ones.

Do any Walmart's in MA have the 10/22? Or should I just head up to VT, instead?

In terms of pure mechanical accuracy, I wouldn't expect the Walmart 10/22 to be any more accurate than an 18.5" 10/22. I would expect it to be easier to reach it's full accuracy potential with iron sights, just because of the longer site radius, especially with Tech Sights on board. (I just got my set, and they are NICE!)

I'm still shooting at Devens the Harvard weekend, so it looks like it will have to be Proctor Vt for me.

For those bringing LTRs, Midway has 10/22 magazines on sale until Friday. Only 50 cents off, but every little bit helps.

I just ordered a set of Tech-Sights for my 10/22 and am now looking for a set of sling swivels and a sling. Any specific brand/model recommendations? Any guides available on where to position the sling swivels?

I just ordered a set of Tech-Sights for my 10/22 and am now looking for a set of sling swivels and a sling. Any specific brand/model recommendations? Any guides available on where to position the sling swivels?

Uncle Mike's is the brand I use.

Detachable studs, and a set of 1 1/4" wide swivels, plus a USGI M1 Garand type sling is recommended. MidwayUSA has all of it.

The Appleseedinfo forum has the info on placement. Directions how to install the studs is with them usually. If not, we can hook you up with the info.

Don't make the mistake I made and order the 1 inch uncle Mikes. That's mostly what is being sold on ebay. I did find a 1 inch leather "GI type" sling so I think I'm good to go. Just installed the tech sights and it went very smoothly.

Im pretty new to rifle shooting and have a "new to me" AR-15. Id really like to use that instead of my 10/22, but I dont want to be the only person on the firing line with a centerfire rifle.

Similar question: This will be my first Appleseed, and I'm planning to bring both my newly-built LTR and my AR service rifle on both days. I'd prefer not to expend huge amounts of .223 on the 25yd range, but would still like to use the AR if we get out to the longer ranges. Is it common for participants to "trade up" during the course of the weekend?

Also, I didn't notice (but may have missed) mention of using the longer (200-300yd) ranges. Will we have access to go out to the big-boy ranges, maybe on day 2?

See y'all then...

Sorry, but no - Harvard requires shooters to qualify before using the longer ranges. There's a shoot up in Jericho, VT later in the year where they have a 600 yard range.

As for changing rifles - that's up to you. Just make sure it's reliable and sighted in already. I'll be bringing my LTR (for my wife) and I'll either use a loaner LTR or my M1 Garand. Depends on how I feel. [wink]

Ok - thanks for the clarification, Ross. The short range will be just as much fun... and it gives me another reason to make it to Jericho as well.

Although, since you mentioned it, I'm now tempted to bring the Garand along, too. So much for traveling light :D

Chris, from what they tell me, using the reduced size targets at 25 meters is actually harder than shooting at the full distance ones. Trust me, you'll be working hard to hit that ONE INCH square from 25 meters... but you'll be doing it by the end of the weekend.

Similar question: This will be my first Appleseed, and I'm planning to bring both my newly-built LTR and my AR service rifle on both days. I'd prefer not to expend huge amounts of .223 on the 25yd range, but would still like to use the AR if we get out to the longer ranges. Is it common for participants to "trade up" during the course of the weekend?

You certainly may bring both. We'll also let folks have an opportunity to verify their zeroes first thing Sunday. That would be a good time to switch.

Also, I didn't notice (but may have missed) mention of using the longer (200-300yd) ranges. Will we have access to go out to the big-boy ranges, maybe on day 2?

See y'all then...

At Harvard, no. At Jericho, certainly.

For those staying at 25 meters, I usually have some nifty stuff planned to enhance your skills even more than long distance does.

You're going to want enough magazines to fire 40 rounds without refilling them. That is, 4 - 10 rounders (preferrred method), or 2 - 20 rounders, or a mix.

Back
Top Bottom