LEO lessons learned?

Gents, is it just me or do you find this story distressing? Now I almost never one to second guess a person who was in a life or death situation as they were there, and I was not. However, the way for an LEO to "learn their lesson" is not from almost getting yourself killed by making virtually every mistake possible due to a lack of training.

I do not think most people realize how little firearms experience most big city PD have, especially in typically liberal anti gun areas such as the city she's in, which she sums up in her "lessons learned" #1 below.

The story makes me more angry than anything as I hate to see an LEO put in such a situation, and I have wonder she's well qualified to now teach recruits her "lessons learned" vs "we need and deserve more extensive training as it's that training you fall back on in such encounters"

Am I off base here? LEO specific opinions?

The 25-year-old gangbanger was a significant player in the life of Chicago P.D. Officer Candace Milovich-Fitzsimmons for less than two minutes. In that flicker of time she says he changed her approach to policing forever.

He wanted to kill her, she believes, but instead he was the one who died, leaving a legacy of lessons that she's convinced will help her survive for the remainder of her career-and can help other officers better face the mean streets as well.

"I didn't go looking for this," she told PoliceOne in an exclusive interview recently. "It found me."

If her sergeant had been a bit indulgent, she wouldn't have confronted those watershed moments at all.

At about 10:45 one chilly Monday night last November, having just transported a prisoner for a tac team, Milovich-Fitzsimmons and her young partner, Matt Blomstrand, were hanging around their district station on Chicago's Northwest Side, hoping to get cut loose from duty since only 15 minutes remained of their shift. "Too early to check off," their sergeant said. "Get back out there." So they did, Milovich-Fitzsimmons driving.

As they approached an intersection a few blocks away, a black Ford Explorer caught their eye up a side street. "It was going about 5 or 10 miles an hour," Milovich-Fitzsimmons recalls, "jerking back and forth like someone was jiggling the steering, and the horn was blowing like a maniac."

A domestic, they figured…and kept going. "Then our conscience got the best of us, and we went looking for that car." They quickly found it on a dimly lit street in a neighborhood predominately of small, single-family houses.

As they swung in behind, a male jumped out of the rear passenger-side seat, ran a few yards, then apparently changed his mind and ran back, trying to climb back in as the SUV stuttered forward in a jerky series of stops and lurches.

No brake lights signaled the stops, and the third time the vehicle abruptly halted the squad car rear-ended it.

What the officers had interrupted would be revealed only after Milovich-Fitzsimmons endured the most violent encounter of her 10 years as a Chicago cop. According to what police later pieced together, the male who'd been trying to reenter the vehicle and two cholos inside were members of the vicious Spanish Cobras street gang. The other occupant was a 33-year-old man who a few minutes earlier had been walking up to his front door from work, carrying a jug of milk for his family.

He was hailed by a young male pedestrian with a cane who insistently asked him for a ride somewhere. The mark had a "bad feeling" about the guy, so rather than risk the safety of his family he decided to "sacrifice" himself, and agreed. As the two approached his Ford Explorer, two more individuals leaped from the shadows, pushed the victim into the SUV and took off with him. Their original plan apparently was to hold him for ransom.

Inside the car, the assailants reportedly took $350 and a cell phone from the victim, then started taking turns beating him with their fists and the cane. Investigators believe they changed their mind about their crime plan and instead decided to drive to a desolate industrial area in the district and there murder the man.

The herky-jerky movement of the SUV was caused by the desperate victim grabbing the gear-shift lever and jamming it in and out of PARK.

Immediately upon the collision with the squad car, the gangbanger outside the Explorer and the one who'd been driving bolted. Milovich-Fitzsimmons radioed in a foot pursuit and beat feet after the driver. Blomstrand was delayed in exiting their unit because the crash had jammed his door. By the time he crawled out through his window, Milovich-Fitzsimmons had disappeared into the darkness. Blomstrand, with less than three years on the job, focused his attention on the two running vehicles, the beating victim who tumbled out of the SUV in a bloody heap, and the cholo inside who was trying to climb out through a rear door.

Milovich-Fitzsimmons, meanwhile, was sucked into a worsening series of clashes with the driver.

<Calibre Press Street Survival Seminar>

First she caught up with him on a parkway along the street and shoved him to his hands and knees. She had hold of his coat but before she could get a body grip, he pushed up, easily pulled out of the jacket and took off again. "That's why gangbangers never wear their coats closed," she told PoliceOne. "And they tend to wear a couple, so if they wiggle out of one they still have an outer garment."

The foot chase continued down an "extremely dark" gangway between two bungalows. Milovich-Fitzsimmons caught the driver again in an alley behind some garages and pushed him against a wrought-iron fence. "Get down on the ground!" she yelled.

Instead, "he whips around and starts fighting." During the tussle, her shoulder mike popped off, swinging around her legs out of reach for calling for help.

Milovich-Fitzsimmons felt no panic. Through a decade's experience, the 39-year-old, trim, blond officer with a tough-but-fair reputation was accustomed to scrapping with suspects and had never encountered a situation she couldn't control. "I was thinking very clearly, giving basic commands to myself to stay in the fight," she recalls. "I couldn't understand why he was so violent, though." Unaware of the kidnapping, she thought she was dealing just with a run-of-the-mill hot car.

At a point when Milovich-Fitzsimmons grabbed her adversary by the shirt, he tripped and fell to the ground. "Stay down!" she yelled. He raised his hands for a moment, "teetering on his ass" and looking beyond her, evidently checking for her partner. Then he lunged toward her, grabbed the butt of her holstered S&W 9mm and used it as leverage to pull himself up.

"I could feel the top strap unsnap and the holster open," Milovich-Fitzsimmons says. "It was the first time my weapon had ever been threatened. I thought, 'I'm in big trouble here.'"

What she calls "Neanderthal thoughts" guided her-Reach here! Do this! "Very loud, very basic, like someone yelling at me in my head." She fought to keep her gun in her Level II holster while the 'banger continued to yank at it with one hand while trying to smash her in the face with his other.

Finally she managed to break away from him and pull her gun. "Get on the ground!" she screamed. He lunged for her again. She squeezed the trigger and fired a round, "the first time I'd ever shot my weapon on duty. As soon as I pulled the trigger, I knew it was a good shoot."

Yes and no. The round went through the suspect's left hand and through his sleeve-then, incredibly, ricocheted off his forehead and ended up in the doorframe of a nearby garage.

Blood streaming down his face, the attacker grabbed again at Milovich-Fitzsimmons' semiauto. She beat him with it, directly on his wound, but he was unfazed. He shoved her against a row of garbage cans and fled across the alley into a vacant field, which soon became the third-and worst-scene of the progressive fight.

Milovich-Fitzsimmons holstered and secured her S&W, took out her cuffs and went after him. When she caught up to him, he'd fallen to his hands and knees. "I thought, 'Game over' and I moved in to take him into custody. Color me wrong.

"All I could see were his wrists-major tunnel vision. I heard that voice in my head, Wrist…cuff." But when she got close, the suspect tackled her and although she beat him with the handcuffs, he took her to the ground. The cuffs flew from her hand.

"We grappled all over the place," she says. "I was punching him, kicking him in the face and chest, twisting his balls for all I was worth. He never flinched…just got angrier." She drew her gun but couldn't get a shot. Seven inches taller and outweighing her by nearly 90 pounds, the suspect pinned her, smashed her in the face and fought again for control of her weapon.

"His hands were like hams," she says. "He was able to bend my wrist so the gun was pointing right against my throat. I got scratches from the muzzle." A weight trainer-"I'm stronger than I look"-Milovich-Fitzsimmons first managed to push the gun off target, then turn it toward him. She pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. The suspect was clamping the slide so it couldn't move.

The muzzle twisted back and forth as the officer fought desperately to save her life and the suspect fought to take it. "It seemed like an eternity. I fought with everything I had but I couldn't stop him. I was physically spent. I knew I couldn't hang on much longer."

Then the voice in her head came back. "Loud as day," three names echoed in her skull: Jake…Alex…Eddie. Her three sons.

"I can't give up!" she told herself. Despite her exhaustion, she continued to keep the muzzle away from her head and body until she glimpsed "my angel"-a man in a blue uniform shirt-running toward them from the alley. He was a responding officer whom her partner had sent in the direction he'd last seen her run as she pursued the suspect fleeing from the collision.

"Shoot this motherf***er!" she screamed. "He's got my gun!"

Almost at contact distance, the officer fired four fast rounds. One grazed Milovich-Fitzsimmons' right hand. Three hit the suspect. He collapsed, dead, on top of her.

"By then," Milovich-Fitzsimmons says, "I think I was slipping into shock. I could hear voices but I couldn't respond to them or move or even open my eyes. And I couldn't stop shaking. I was vibrating from head to toe."

From the moment she radioed in the foot pursuit until the backup officer called in the fatal shooting, only 1 minute 45 seconds elapsed. What happened during that brief time "changed me tremendously," says Milovich-Fitzsimmons, whose husband and sister are Chicago P.D. sergeants. She enumerates the mistakes she believes she made and the lessons she learned:

1. "When we were fighting in the alley and I shot, I should have kept shooting. When I had firearms training in the academy, we shot once, holstered and waited for the next instruction. We talked about two to the chest and one to the head, but we didn't do it. You perform like you train. My greatest regret is that I didn't light him up in the alley when I had the chance. I won't stop short like that again. If I'm justified in shooting, I'll shoot and keep shooting and not look so much to other avenues."

2. "When I reholstered my weapon, I deescalated prematurely, going for my cuffs. I should have made a greater effort to grab my radio and get help. I should have anticipated that the fight might not be over yet."

3. "When we were fighting, I used constant verbal commands. Yelling at him took a lot of energy, exhausted me. We're required to give verbal commands, but I would limit them more and concentrate on physically overcoming my adversary."

4. "Would I carry an extra gun? Absolutely not. I was in the fight of my life to retain just one. What if I'd had a backup gun in an ankle holster when I kicked him and he'd grabbed it? It's hard enough to hold onto one gun without having to keep track of two."

5. "The first thing I said when I finally went off duty that night was, 'I want a different gun, a .45.' I went to the range and tried several weapons. I ended up selecting a Sig-Sauer 9mm. It's light, with an easy trigger pull. I shot a tight group the first time I fired it. I'm going to the range more often now. I want to feel more comfortable with a gun. It wasn't second nature to me when I needed to use it."

6. "I find myself less tolerant to resistance from suspects now. If someone gets jumpy, I throw the cuffs on them. I'm not going to play anymore. I find myself analyzing people and situations a lot more closely. I will never, ever allow myself to be put in that situation again."

7. "After I had some time off and then went back on duty, I felt like I was coming down with the flu one night. I asked myself, 'If I have to get into something tonight, can I defend myself?' I decided to stay home. Before, I would have brushed it off and gone in, full of bravado. Now I know I need to be on top of my game when I'm working. I can't imagine going through the kind of fight I had feeling sick."

8. "At the station, some cops were talking about my incident, and one of the females said, 'If that had been me, I'd be dead.' Others nodded in agreement. I went off on them. 'Never give up!' I said. 'The minute you think that way, you've lost! If you're thinking you can't survive, you won't, and you'll be just another officer on a mass card.' I try to talk to other officers about what happened, because I want them to see what can be learned from it."

9. "I've become more involved with fitness. Sometimes I work out 10 times a week now. Before the incident, I could bench press 110 on a good day. Now I've set a goal of 238, the weight of the guy who attacked me. I'm already up to 160."

Officer Milovich-Fitzsimmons teaches a psychology workshop for recruits at the Chicago Police Academy. She knows something about motivation. She keeps a Polaroid of her assailant's body, decorated with gang tattoos, at her gym.

"He was in my life such a short time, but he altered so much of me," she says. "I look at that picture, and it gets me very angry. It pushes me to work harder."

Good for her. She made it through a tough situation and is looking to address her shortcomings. A hard way to learn them, though.

Last edited:
She survived and he didn't. She came out on top. Case closed. Unfortunately, you can't sit back and wait for a backup in every situation. This had nothing to do with firearm's training but handgun retention. Different training area entirely.

If you aren't willing to go one on one with someone who is bigger, faster or whatever, the career isn't for you.

However, LE training is made up to a great degree by reviewing the mistake in the field and hoping to instill what is needed to avoid them in the future. Any hazardous occupation does the same thing. Failing to use this real life data would be foolhardy.

I'd say she's well qualified to motivate recruits. She's been there, done that and survived. As strange as it sounds, most people today have never been in a physical confrontation in their lives, maybe she can give them insight on it. Knowing that you can never give up is key to winning a confrontation.

5. "The first thing I said when I finally went off duty that night was, 'I want a different gun, a .45.' I went to the range and tried several weapons. I ended up selecting a Sig-Sauer 9mm. It's light, with an easy trigger pull. I shot a tight group the first time I fired it. I'm going to the range more often now. I want to feel more comfortable with a gun. It wasn't second nature to me when I needed to use it."

So am I reading this incorrectly? It sounds like she determined, as a result of the fight, that a 9mm wasn't adequate and therefor she wanted a .45 which seems like a reasonable statement (no 9. v.45 argument here-stick to the facts) But then it seems as if she selects a 9mm (the Sig) which is a fine weapon but, still a 9?

Other than that, what a story.

So am I reading this incorrectly? It sounds like she determined, as a result of the fight, that a 9mm wasn't adequate and therefor she wanted a .45 which seems like a reasonable statement (no 9. v.45 argument here-stick to the facts) But then it seems as if she selects a 9mm (the Sig) which is a fine weapon but, still a 9?

Other than that, what a story.

Just seems like a long string of bad decisions/mistakes followed by a list of "conclusions" she should have known if she was adequately trained and or conclusions that still miss the mark. For example, what you posted above. She does not need a bigger gun, she needs to be proficient with what she has, etc, etc. Me, I would want a reexamination of training in general to see if she simply ignored it or didn't receive it, but the entire story smells all wrong to me.

I’ll be the uncool kid…

They should have stopped the vehicle the first time they saw it, we understand that they have no ‘obligation’ but witnessing a Domestic and driving by it seems to be poor judgment. Most people would break up a domestic or at least investigate it and call the police.

She makes so very good points though and one of them that is overlooked is being in physical condition, if she was desk jockey or was packing a few extra pounds on and not in shape that would have been an entirely different situation, so kudos to her.

Shoot to stop the threat, they tell you this over and over and over again but a lot of people for some reason still think the one shot one drop or one shot and wait approach works best. Unless you are an assassin and up close for a CNS shot I think that approach is beyond foolhardy. Lessons learned indeed.

I like that she picked up a lot of things from this confrontation and survived and was able to self evaluate herself and her performance, coming from her, as an instructor will likely save many lives in the future.

This is exactly the type of person who should be teaching. She'll get the respect of the officers right away because she's walked the walk. You can bring the best IPSC shooter the world has ever seen and give a talk and I'll be less than impressed. I'll be in awe of his skills, I'm sure, but his overall talk will be mitigated in my mind because he's never had to use his amazing skills for real. The best guy at the range isn't necessarily the one you want to go to war with.

Her? I'll go to war with her any day.

Additionally, she's recognized the holes in the training she received. She's moving to patch them. That is the mark of a survivor - learn the lessons taught. Unfortunately in life it seems like we're presented the test first, then the lesson. That's just the nature of the animal.

Look at her number 6 lesson learned - if she did something like that and the info was posted here without the background (that she'd almost died in an altercation) how do you think it would be taken? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that most people would be screaming "thug!" or similar. She would be viewed as totalitarian and a heavy-handed cop. It's only with perspective that her "take no crap" philosophy makes sense.

Finally, I think she missed some stuff in her lessons learned -
1) She fell into a common cop trap - pursuit. We're predatory animals and when something runs that you're "hunting" the immediate action is to pursue. It's a chase instinct. I fell into this one myself. I also ran after a kidnapper. My guy, though, was armed. He was carrying a S&W L-frame .357. In his hand. He ran through crowds and then ducked into a Church's Chicken patio. I was able to think as I pursued him and cut across to the other side of the street to better cut the pie. That's when I saw him pop out the other side and knew he'd ditched the gun. It's hard to explain how your mind thinks under this kind of stress. It's very herky-jerky. Moments of no thought followed by flash insight. Weird.

What I didn't do, though, was call for backup. And I should have. I ended up fighting the guy and cuffing him, but I'm bigger and stronger and probably a much better fighter than she is. Still, there but for the grace of God.....

2) Tunnel vision - she was locked into the action she thought she needed to perform. She was not looking at the big picture. She was focused on cuffing. She was zoomed into his hands. She needs to practice breathing in the spaces provided and moving her head to break that tunnel. It's damn hard to do.

3) She kind of touched on this one but rational thought is extraordinarily difficult under adrenal stress. She needs to make things second nature where she can access them without conscious thought. That way when the feces hits the oscillating device she has a course of action that's on autopilot. Without a trained response the body defaults to an inherent one (tunnel vision, for instance, is the body zooming in on what it thinks is the greatest threat to your survival to the exclusion of all else). She needs to have enough time in scenario training where she inoculates herself to the effects of adrenaline to some degree to better be able to think.

Most of her mistakes wouldn't be corrected on the range, but in simulated scenarios in my opinion. Trigger time is not judgment training, and that's where she failed. But, at the end of the day, she pulled herself out of it.

Like I said, I'd go to war with her any day.

"His hands were like hams," she says. "He was able to bend my wrist so the gun was pointing right against my throat. I got scratches from the muzzle." A weight trainer-"I'm stronger than I look"-Milovich-Fitzsimmons first managed to push the gun off target, then turn it toward him. She pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. The suspect was clamping the slide so it couldn't move.

What kind of gun was she carrying? I never heard of a semi auto where you could do that! Or was she carrying a revolver and the reporter just flubbed the word?

Ross,

I'd guess the slide was pushed ever-so-slightly out of battery, preventing it from firing.

IMHO, this is the perfect reason for a j-frame in an ankle holster...

Even better would be a COP4 in an ankle holster - no external moving parts at all to jam up.
Come to think of it... when you fire off all 4 shots, you can just hit the bastard with the COP4 - it's all stainless steel; it'll probably cave in his skull. [laugh]

Where is this story from? Is it an article from somewhere? I ask because I've never seen anyone actually use the word "cholos" in an article.

And a cop saying she wished she'd "lit him up". If I EVER used those words in a report or in an interview with the media about any arrest or altercation, I would have been fired as soon as it came out.

And if she determined a 9mm wasn't enough, why did she choose one? How is it any different from the one she already had? I don't understand that at all. It just seems fishy to me.

Where is this story from? Is it an article from somewhere? I ask because I've never seen anyone actually use the word "cholos" in an article.

And a cop saying she wished she'd "lit him up". If I EVER used those words in a report or in an interview with the media about any arrest or altercation, I would have been fired as soon as it came out.

And if she determined a 9mm wasn't enough, why did she choose one? How is it any different from the one she already had? I don't understand that at all. It just seems fishy to me.

I read this as a Caliber Press Street Survival type thing, where the rules of lingo are a little more relaxed.....;)

More "in-house" kind of thing?

I'd guess the slide was pushed ever-so-slightly out of battery, preventing it from firing.

That was a defense technique taught by the FBI back in the mid 70's at the police academy.

And if she determined a 9mm wasn't enough, why did she choose one

Recently, Chicago transitioned to new handguns:

New Weapons Order Approved
CC has just received the much-awaited information regarding the new approved weapons order.

After consultation with the Mayor, the Superintendent has approved an updated Weapons and Ammunition General Order. The specific order number has not been assigned and the effective date of the order has not been decided. However, some of the key points of the order are as follows:

Striker-fired pistols manufactured by Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory, and Glock have been approved
The calibers of 9mm Luger (Parabellum), .40 S&W, and .45 ACP have been approved
Department members will be allowed to transition to striker-fired pistols as their primary weapon after they have completed a voluntary transition course during off-duty hours
Transition courses will consist of either 24 hours of instruction for revolver officers or 16 hours of instruction for semi-automatic officers

Why she went back to a 9mm was her decision. Maybe the fit and handling just feel better to her.Who knows.

Last edited:
What kind of gun was she carrying? I never heard of a semi auto where you could do that! Or was she carrying a revolver and the reporter just flubbed the word?

Slightly retract the slide of most any semi-auto and it won't fire.

Personally, I'm in awe of her. She fought against a much younger, stronger, and 90 pound heavier opponent and survived. Did she make mistakes? Absolutely, and she's admitted them and is trying to learn from them. But I admire her bravery and there is no way that I would say that in the midst of such an adrenalin dump that I'd do better than her.

I've never been there or done that. Not even close.

That was a defense technique taught by the FBI back in the mid 70's at the police academy.

Indeed, you have to also bear in mind that in the prison system they do show other inmates tricks of the trade in their own social network. Things like gun grabs, slide locks, using the webbing of the hand, how to defeat cuffs, the list goes on and on. Look at the image below, you can clearly see him working on the retention portion of the holster.

Its why trained retention and a good holster are so very important in addition to keeping your awareness in full red at all times.

fishergrab.jpg

Ross,
IMHO, this is the perfect reason for a j-frame in an ankle holster...

I'm not so sure about this, even she states her reluctance to carry a BUG and she makes a point about it. Unless she trains with it on the draw while grappling its a free gun for the aggressor; though a small revolver might be easier to retain in a fight with a hamfist around it. I’m not saying it would not have been useful, but in her situation it sounds like they were both focused on the first gun at all times, had she dropped her attention to get the BUG it would have given full control of the carry piece to the assailant.

We read:
...The other occupant was a 33-year-old man who a few minutes earlier had been walking up to his front door from work, carrying a jug of milk for his family...Their original plan apparently was to hold him for ransom...Inside the car, the assailants reportedly took $350 [from him]....
This guy had returned from buying a gallon of milk, probably from a corner store, and he had $350 on him? I wonder if the perps didn't see him flash his cash while he paid for the milk, and then followed him home. Moral: Be discrete.

PS Ransom? Unless there's some reason other than "apparently," I doubt this.

[grin]

I always carried a BUG. Pocket carry (never like ankle carry). And a knife. Both extremely useful in conflict resolution.

I still carry a knife in addtion.

A good read, and just goes to show that training can fall by the wayside in the middle of a scuffle when the brain loses focus and actions become reactive instead of proactive.

All in all, she went home at the end of the day. That's what matters. [grin]

A good read, and just goes to show that training can fall by the wayside in the middle of a scuffle when the brain loses focus and actions become reactive instead of proactive.

All in all, she went home at the end of the day. That's what matters. [grin]

It also makes the point that she shot the way she trained. [thinking]

But yes, she did get to go home. By the skin of her teeth.

She fought ... and survived.

And was lucky, too. She only fought for 2 minutes, and if a back-up officer didn't arrive to save her, we wouldn't know the story.

Her single shot would have been okay if she had increased her distance -- giving her a chance for a follow up when he moved toward her again. She was nuts to approach him in the field without assistence -- cover from 25ft and radio.

She was nuts to approach him in the field without assistence -- cover from 25ft and radio.

Unfortunately backup isn't always available. If you can't handle yourself out on the street, it's time for a new career.

She did great she survived the encounter.

i still don't understand why she criticized the 9mm...she made a shitty shot with it. I doubt a .45 in the same spot would of stopped him any quicker...[rolleyes] I guess it's always easiest to blame the caliber instead of marksmenship.

i still don't understand why she criticized the 9mm...she made a shitty shot with it. I doubt a .45 in the same spot would of stopped him any quicker...[rolleyes] I guess it's always easiest to blame the caliber instead of marksmenship.
Have you ever been this close to death? To realize that you survived in spite of what you did not because of it?

It's absolutely normal to question just about everything, rational or not. It's pretty traumatic to the psyche when you realize that you barely made it and that you are more alive due to luck than to skill. To be manhandled like that is a blow to your confidence and it makes you look for bigger and better equalizers.

It doesn't make it right (and your post is correct, a better shot would have served her best) but that's the way the mind works.

Also consider that sometimes even good shot placement may not help all that much. For evidence I present the following video:
http://www.break.com/index/cop_owned_by_boxer.html

Have you ever been this close to death? To realize that you survived in spite of what you did not because of it?

It's absolutely normal to question just about everything, rational or not. It's pretty traumatic to the psyche when you realize that you barely made it and that you are more alive due to luck than to skill. To be manhandled like that is a blow to your confidence and it makes you look for bigger and better equalizers.

It doesn't make it right (and your post is correct, a better shot would have served her best) but that's the way the mind works.

Also consider that sometimes even good shot placement may not help all that much. For evidence I present the following video:
http://www.break.com/index/cop_owned_by_boxer.html

Fair enough, I'll agree with you 100%

Back
Top Bottom