Language for "Reason for Issuance" on LTC application

Coyote33 said:
I'd recommend shortening it to just this:
"I am applying for a Class A LTC for All Lawful Purposes."
Shorten it even further: "All Lawful Purposes". That's what I wrote, and that's what I got.

And Ken? I thought I was the Resident Grammarian here! Is Scrivener after my job?? [shocked]

Coyote33 said:
It sounds unnatural. Did you read it out loud to yourself?

How about this rewording:
"I am applying for an unrestricted Class A LTC for All Lawful Purposes. I expect to use this firearm primarily for target practice at local ranges but would like to reserve the right to carry for personal/home protection in the event the need arose."

I'd recommend shortening it to just this:
"I am applying for a Class A LTC for All Lawful Purposes."

Coyote, your brief, punchy statement will likely only work in a city or town that always gives out ALP Class A licenses. If, instead, the OP is in a tougher town, your line will go over like a lead balloon. I wouldn't recommend it.

2004010840_Display-25.gif

Cross-X said:
Coyote, your brief, punchy statement will likely only work in a city or town that always gives out ALP Class A licenses. If, instead, the OP is in a tougher town, your line will go over like a lead balloon. I wouldn't recommend it.

The "OP" said:

Saint194 said:
The town is Medfield, MA.

Based only on the info found at this link I understand it to be a "green" town - ...

DW, I win again!

On the serious side, I do think too many applicants get lazy and think that giving ALP as their only reason is the best way to go.

There are some things in life that are worth working for. A well-prepared application beats the hell out of the pain, expense, and lousy odds of a judicial review petition.

Last edited:
When I applied for my permit, I wrote All Lawful Purposes followed by the remark that I owned a small collection of handguns including some of large capacity that were currently being stored out of state and that since I decided to be a permanent MA resident,would like to be able to have here.I never spoke to anyone other than the officer who took my prints and gave me the application and I was asked nothing concerning what I owned or why I wanted/needed them or an ALP permit.FWIW,my town is listed as red on your chart but I don't know of anyone here who has been denied an ALP Class A if they asked for one and weren't disqualified for obvious prior record etc. reasons.

outofbattery said:
When I applied for my permit, I wrote All Lawful Purposes followed by the remark that I owned a small collection of handguns including some of large capacity that were currently being stored out of state and that since I decided to be a permanent MA resident,would like to be able to have here.I never spoke to anyone other than the officer who took my prints and gave me the application and I was asked nothing concerning what I owned or why I wanted/needed them or an ALP permit.FWIW,my town is listed as red on your chart but I don't know of anyone here who has been denied an ALP Class A if they asked for one and weren't disqualified for obvious prior record etc. reasons.

And you dutifully filed an FA-10 on EACH gun when you brought them back to your home in MA, as required by law, right?

If you bring them with you when you move, you do NOT have to register them. You have a grace period to get licensed whereby you can store them legally in your home, but not transport them anywhere.

If you bring them in ANY TIME after you move, you MUST register them. Failure to do so is a fine for the first offense and jail time for subsequent offenses.

By admitting that you didn't have them "in state" you gave ammunition for them to check and nail you at any time in the future. Not the best idea!

Len,

An FA-10 is a firearms transfer form.

Where is the transfer of ownership if a gun owner has owned a bunch of guns for years, and decides to bring them to MA once he settles here?

I think one of us is missing something.

I live in the "black" city of Quincy. I wrote something along the lines of : I am applying for my Class A LTC for all lawful purpose to include protection of person, property and family.

I had no problem in 01 when I first applied or with my renewal. Hope that helps

C-X,

FA-10 Form Instructions:

Registration Instructions​

1. Please put an "X" in the box for registration located at the top left corner of the form.
  2. Complete the weapon information and the buyer/purchaser information sections of the form.
  3. Please sign on the buyer's signature line located at the bottom of the form.

The requirement may be in a CMR and seems to be from an EOPS interpretation of C. 140 S. 128B. Page 45 of Ron Glidden's 9th Edition has some info but not addressing your question directly. I do know that Ron Glidden has stated that ONLY if you move in with them do you NOT need to register them, but if you bring them in after you get your LTC, that you MUST register them. IANAL, but I think it is an interpretation of ". . . or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun . . ." or ". . . receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth . . ."

I also know that this question comes up on a LE mailing list on a regular basis and my response has been the standard answer to each such inquiry.

Cross-X said:
On the serious side, I do think too many applicants get lazy and think that giving ALP as their only reason is the best way to go.
I was giving advice based only on my experience, which as I noted was that I gave a long, lovely and grammatically correct reason why I was applying for ALP. Which they completely ignored and wrote "All Lawful Purposes" in its place.

All that I've ever put down for 30 years is All Lawful Purposes (Protection back in the early days). Works for me and my Wife (~28 years for her LTC). I did give some verbal justification for my Wife 2 or 3 renewals ago. Last time I chatted with a different Lt. while she was "interviewed".

Back
Top Bottom