• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just got told my child is not allowed in the gun store

I had my daughter's 22lr out to day and one brass rat asked. Why is that so short....it's my daughter's, How old is she....8 .......WHAT she shouldn't shoot that thing.

I bought my boy a Henry Youth Rifle for his 6th birthday. Nobody local had them in stock so I had to have one transferred in. When I went to the local shop to pick it up, the lady doing the transfer asked me, "What in the world are you gonna do with a kid's gun?" I said, "Uh, it's for my kid, obviously." She looked at me like I had three heads. [rolleyes]

I would ask "why" before passing judgement.

It could be that the shop owner was having political/zoning/licensing problems and had to agree, perhaps informally, to keep kids out of his shop as a condition for not being harassed by those in power.

He isn't even allowed by Norwood to have a flag outside that says "Open" - so he posts it 10 feet over the line in Walpole

Oh Boy.... [rolleyes]

Put yourself in the place on a gun shop owner for just a second. Do you want 5 year olds running around? Not saying that's what happened with the OP, but seriously. Think. And no, it's not that kids are going to smash through the counter, grab a pistol and magically start shooting....it's just a part of the ambience of a gun shop I suppose. Go ahead, give me a counter argument (no pun intended)

Edit: It's Saturday night, I have beer and access to the internet.

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-toy-guns-matter/

You really need to read this, you will see how much damage you are doing by letting kids near guns, even toy guns.

I loved the part where when the mom found the four year old stabbing his toy bunny, she took it away from him
and buried it in a mock funeral. Kid's going to probably need some therapy when he starts remembering this stuff.

...Is your kid under your direct control at all times?...

Yes.

As in MGL Ch 140 s 131C. As I recall, it clearly states:

(a) No person carrying a loaded child under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same into a gunstore unless such child while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500...

(a) No person carrying a loaded child under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same into a gunstore unless such child while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500...

But... no... misquoted... that's not... must stay calm... just a joke...

But seriously...

2) Sixty-nine posts, and no one has yet suggested an NES meet at the shop, attended by NES'rs with their children?

C) Years ago I brought my children to a book store. It had a children's section. I browsed while my wife browsed, while the children picked out things and we piled them all up at the cashier, easily over $100 worth.

No other customers were in the shop.

Store employee told me that I "needed to supervise the children." They were sitting in the store's children's section looking at additional books they might like.

Needless to say, we left the pile of books on the counter, and never returned.

My rigid belief in instant (or, at least, relatively prompt) karma was supported by the fact that the store closed down that summer.

- - - Updated - - -

But... no... misquoted... that's not... must stay calm... just a joke...

Sorry.

The heat. Must've misremembered...

I was in a car dealer years ago, a sign on the wall said all unattended children will be sold. Should be a universal policy.

My favorite bookstore, now defunct, in a place far, far away, used to have a sign: "Unattended children will be given espresso and a free puppy." [laugh]

The more I see the present,and the future,I miss the past.

Your not the only one. [sad2]
I grew up hanging around gun stores.
One in particular had a wood stove and some old leathers chairs around it.
The local old timers would hang out around the stove, tell lies about hunting and drink up the free coffee.
Some of the best memories of my youth.

If the OP's kid was running around like a heathen then I can see it.
Otherwise it's a dick move.
My kid had already been shooting for two years at seven.

I went there. Didn't feel welcome. Price on a Windham was $100 more than the rat. No reason to go back. NO children were involved...

My son (now 8) proudly wears the shirt that he was given by an employee while he was with me during his first visit (definitely not the shop OP is talking about). He talks about that store to this day, asking when we can go back.

Had my son been denied entry to that shop (my first visit to their new location), I would never have been back. Since they treated him like a regular, I've been back to purchase two additional firearms as well as ammunition that could have been procured at a lower price elsewhere.

I say f**k the shop that turned your child away and whatever excuse they gave you. There are many others that will be happy to have your business.

I actually paid 50 bucks more for my last gun at your shop to support local business instead of going to Bass Pro

I am sorry but I can't get pass this statement. I am glad you are supporting local business but $50 more than BP, means like $150 more than other local businesses. I would go find a new shop.

it's possible there's some BS in his insurance regarding children in the shop. either way pretty crappy. when i was growing up if someone told my old man that his son wasn't welcome then he would spit on their feet and walk off.

it's possible there's some BS in his insurance regarding children in the shop. either way pretty crappy. when i was growing up if someone told my old man that his son wasn't welcome then he would spit on their feet and walk off.

If there was a third party to blame I'm guessing he'd have blamed them.

Put yourself in the place on a gun shop owner for just a second. Do you want 5 year olds running around? Not saying that's what happened with the OP, but seriously. Think. And no, it's not that kids are going to smash through the counter, grab a pistol and magically start shooting....it's just a part of the ambience of a gun shop I suppose. Go ahead, give me a counter argument (no pun intended)

Edit: It's Saturday night, I have beer and access to the internet.

So still a little confused why would it make any differences if your child was taller unless your kid was a brat and was not taught to behave........Its not like a carnival ride were they hit the magic height number and they can go on the roller coaster...[thinking].Me, Saturday night I'm out on the town.[rolleyes]

At the end of the day, his shop his rules....Nuff said I'm out not spending my evening in front of a computer. [rofl]

Last edited:
one of my good childhood memories is going into the old Lew Hortons on Rt 135 in Framingham... it sucks where we as a society have gone in the last few decades...

I've brought my 12 & 9 yr olds to Gartman & MFS.. They know better than to touch any firearm. Heck.. best thing about Gartman, is they have a free shoot-em video game for the kids to play so they aren't buggin ya while you're shopping.

Seems to be an unwise move by a shop who advertises here. I would think he would know how this type of insult would play here. I do believe it's an insult to his once customer to turn away his boy. I say screw him and his shop and I would never return, ever!

Back
Top Bottom