Just got told my child is not allowed in the gun store

I think he said something about a gun falling on a kid. I was boiling at that point. Lost hearing and comprehension. He is 7

Well, I wish you had better info to give us, to go alomg with your vague postings and then coming here for sympathy. Should get more info from owner for us first. He might be a douche, but I can't really tell from your whinings. Thanks.

It is next to impossible for me to go anywhere with out my 3 kids.
I visit gun shops often with them and as young as 2 years old. I have yet had any problems.
My kids are kids , respectful yet curious so a eyeball on them all the time.

Shop owners can do what they want well sometimes. Just think what would happen if a gun shop owner kicked out a liberal!

Having worked with family members in their retail stores (not gun store), I've seen the havoc kids can generate. Many parents just let them run amok.
Throw into the mix guns, and well....

EDIT: to the member who sent the note - believe it or not, not everyone is in MA, and the comment above was not about the thought that a kid might grab a gun. Whatever ...

Last edited:
My son used to tell mommy everything.

I used to bring him in - told him I was buying OIL. Which I always did.

Worked for a long time....

I've brought my kids into gun shops with no problem. I'd be pissed if an owner asked them to leave.

Well, I wish you had better info to give us, to go alomg with your vague postings and then coming here for sympathy. Should get more info from owner for us first. He might be a douche, but I can't really tell from your whinings. Thanks.

obvious Troll is Troll
i don't think the guy is a douche. I am sure he has a reason. You on the other hand are a yucky person. Yes, please, your sympathy is so important.

The title should be changed to name the shop.

His shop, his rules, but I would never return there if a similar (unfounded) statement was made to me. I'd have no problem with a shopkeeper asking that I keep an eye on the kid to make sure he doesn't get hurt, but that is it unless the kid started to act up or run amok . . . in that case he'd be right to ban the kid.

I've allowed a Father with 7-10 yo kids to shoot as my guest at gun clubs I've belonged to. These kids acted responsible with no issues. So everything depends on the kid and how mature they act.

Also these days there are laws prohibiting leaving kids unattended in a car, so your only legal option is to leave. And I hear calls to PDs all over the area of busybodies reporting a kid alone in a car. Police "investigate" and the next thing you know you are facing "child endangerment" charges and DYS gets involved in trying to remove the kids from the household!

Back when I was a kid, I traveled with my Dad a lot and spent a lot of time sitting in the car at age 7 and up. I survived and it was all legal back then. Not so today.

On the flip side, a gentleman came in to the shop this morning with his son and traded in a shield 40 for a full size M&P9. Once he said it was for the kid, I made SURE the kid held the firearm while keeping an eye on the trigger control (He did awesome), and encouraged him to dry fire it a couple of times. Kid was better than most adults I've seen in regards to safety.

Of course, I also have no problem asking a kid to settle down if the parents are present and ignoring said kid.

1 of numerous reason I refuse to give business to local gunshops, they are not on our side.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Also, everyone is saying "We need to get the next generation into shooting!". Well, guess what, that kid IS the next generation and now he has a memory of being shunned at a gun shop instead of being welcomed.

Tough call. Well behaved kids are amazing, but most are awful. The guy must have felt pretty strongly to prevent you from entering- especially with a one adult accompanying just one child. Some stores have racks of guns and boxes/crates of ammo all over in a way that any competent human can navigate but could be a disaster with an uncoordinated little guy.

I was in a car dealer years ago, a sign on the wall said all unattended children will be sold. Should be a universal policy.

Also, everyone is saying "We need to get the next generation into shooting!". Well, guess what, that kid IS the next generation and now he has a memory of being shunned at a gun shop instead of being welcomed.

So true, maybe not relative to all shops but likely that one in particular.

----------

On a similar note, a long ago personal story:

As a teenager heading into Boston on a 90F+ day with no A/C in the car, I was parched and stopped at the liquor store at the Braintree/Randolph line to pick up a cold soda. As soon as I opened the door to the place the owner (?) threatened me with arrest for even walking into his store (didn't even get the opportunity to ask for a soda). Some 50 yrs later I remember that incident every time I pass that place and have never and will never step foot in that store even if I was dying of thirst!

I would ask "why" before passing judgement.

It could be that the shop owner was having political/zoning/licensing problems and had to agree, perhaps informally, to keep kids out of his shop as a condition for not being harassed by those in power.

Yeah, back when I was a kid, we would be left in the car. I still remember looking around the Zayre's parking lot at all the other "trapped" youth, peeking out the 1-inch open window slots...

I've brought both of my children to shops and never had that experience. One shop would give them quarters to buy bubble gum out of the machine. Chalk it up to another business you won't go to again. Our children are the future consumers and partakers of our passion.

more and more FFLs in mass seem to like to run themselves into the ground.

It would be one thing kicking out someone with an unruly child who cant be controlled or is ignored, but to not even let him in the door. Its his business and his decision but a stupid one if you ask me. Another place I will never give money too. These kids are the future of a dwindling crowd.

Thats too bad. I've brought my daughter in to my local shop when she was about a week old. They all oogled over her and then we went about our business. Bought myself a gun that day and have returned many times to buy other things.

more and more FFLs in mass seem to like to run themselves into the ground.

It would be one thing kicking out someone with an unruly child who cant be controlled or is ignored, but to not even let him in the door. Its his business and his decision but a stupid one if you ask me. Another place I will never give money too. These kids are the future of a dwindling crowd.

Gun clubs are getting bad also.....
I have constant issues with "age" issues at club. I carry a rule book with me and ask to be shown the age limit. Children under 18 need adult supervision is the only requirement....I think once enough FUDDS get together at the same meeting this rule will change. It's amazing how angree FUDDS get when a 8 year old with a pink gun bangs out 10 for 10 @ 50 yards with ease.
I had my daughter's 22lr out to day and one brass rat asked. Why is that so short....it's my daughter's, How old is she....8 .......WHAT she shouldn't shoot that thing.
It a a Tactical Solutions 22lr upper on a nice lower with entry length RRA stock....so fun to blast steel with at 100 yards.

I would ask "why" before passing judgement.

It could be that the shop owner was having political/zoning/licensing problems and had to agree, perhaps informally, to keep kids out of his shop as a condition for not being harassed by those in power.

He'd have given that as the reason.

It's adorable the the OP thinks there will be gun stores in 40 years.

There will be. Britain has gun stores. Japan has gun stores. The liberals really don't want to take all guns. Just the fun ones - handguns and semi-autos. I imagine that bolt action rifles and break-action shotguns will be readily available even in 50 years.

Yeah, back when I was a kid, we would be left in the car. I still remember looking around the Zayre's parking lot at all the other "trapped" youth, peeking out the 1-inch open window slots...

[rofl][laugh2][rofl][laugh2] Yeah...for us kids, it was the A&P store...that was when I discovered if I pushed the far left pedal down, the car would roll. Fun times [banana][banana]

Last edited:
Seems a little odd. They're not my favorite shop but I don't see why this would be a problem unless unattended children have been an issue in the past. Is your kid under your direct control at all times? How old are they?

If your kid isn't under your direct control you need to put him in the trunk with either a cable lock or in a locked secure container.

sometimes Dad would leave the car running so we could listen to the radio... imagine the horror nowadays

Not a shot at the OP really, but I'd bring my kids into a gun shop when they are at least taller than the counter [wink]

Back
Top Bottom