• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal to store firearms not in my house?

Long story short, we just had a kid and my wife wants my firearms out of the house. It's annoying, and I know y'all are going to say that it's time to trade in my wife, but really this is the only place we don't see eye to eye, so I'm trying to respect her wishes. She's always been super supportive of me in just about every way, but she's taking the hard line when it comes to guns in the house and a kid. Basically she said look, the second he's out of high school you can bring it all back and more, but while he's here I don't feel comfortable. It is what it is, so I'm trying to come up with a solve.

I rent a locked garage space from my neighbor literally 3 houses up and could easily move my safe up there. I'm curious though, I pay for that space month to month and do not have any type of lease. Would storing them there be kosher from a legal perspective and would I be under any obligation to inform the owner? Curious to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.
i'm reasonably sure that i will be the first wife/mom to respond in this post.....
1- how old is this child? the first month or so after i brought each of my kids home from the hospital i was a bit irrational about certain things. lack of sleep and crazy hormone resets do that to every woman. true story: with my firstborn i insisted that every door and window be locked at all times so kidnappers or aliens couldn't get in. i KNEW it was ridiculous yet i also KNEW it was a possibility. that lasted about a week. my husband would chuckle about it but was relieved when i snapped out of it. he understood what my body/brain was going through.
2- how reasonable has your wife been in the past? at some point you will have to have a conversation about removing every unsafe item from the house for 18 years. guns, knives, buckets, chemicals, flammables, electrical cords.........
i don't envy your position. i can say with absolute certainty that if i had made such demands when my kids were infants that my husband would not have complied. i hope this new addition to your house is brand new and your wife snaps out of it. my kids are older but i sometimes host much younger nieces and nephews who worry about bears, coyotes or whatnot at my house. i regularly tell them that my house is probably the safest house they will ever stay in. they don't ask why, they're just happy to hear it.

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

It's not about the guns. It's not just a hobby. It's personal responsibility, trust and self/family protection. Best of luck.
It's more then that... honestly statistically you'll probs be fine. I agree having guns for home defense is important but be realistic too... we don't live in bahgada...jbad...oleppo...chicago you'll probably never even get mugged

It's about the wife irrationally dictating policy in the house.

My wife tried with covid...i didn't put up with it.

Irrationally doing shit and forcing that idea on people is no way to treat someone who's supposed to be a partner

i'm reasonably sure that i will be the first wife/mom to respond in this post.....
1- how old is this child? the first month or so after i brought each of my kids home from the hospital i was a bit irrational about certain things. lack of sleep and crazy hormone resets do that to every woman. true story: with my firstborn i insisted that every door and window be locked at all times so kidnappers or aliens couldn't get in. i KNEW it was ridiculous yet i also KNEW it was a possibility. that lasted about a week. my husband would chuckle about it but was relieved when i snapped out of it. he understood what my body/brain was going through.
2- how reasonable has your wife been in the past? at some point you will have to have a conversation about removing every unsafe item from the house for 18 years. guns, knives, buckets, chemicals, flammables, electrical cords.........
i don't envy your position. i can say with absolute certainty that if i had made such demands when my kids were infants that my husband would not have complied. i hope this new addition to your house is brand new and your wife snaps out of it. my kids are older but i sometimes host much younger nieces and nephews who worry about bears, coyotes or whatnot at my house. i regularly tell them that my house is probably the safest house they will ever stay in. they don't ask why, they're just happy to hear it.
I feel like your the guy with no hands in this scene and the rest of the nes shit posters are tom cruise

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TA-ZFFIscqs

One way or another you'll be supporting that kid for the next 18 years so you might as well bail now so there'll only be one to support when the inevitable occurs.

Honestly, women are nuts after the first kid. The hormones are out of whack from spending 9 months building a human, and they take just as much time to go back.

Knock her up again and she might reset to normal. At the very least you'll be able to see your balls again for a little while.

OP, everyone is making fun of you.

OP, everyone is making fun of you.

Some people have way too much time on their hands.............

Did you need the snowblower that expensive? What kind?
Congratulations on going for the masters. Nobody should ever stop learning. I'm 17 years in and I agree with you completely
It was a John Deere 1026 and I had it for 25 years. It was an absolute beast. I loved that machine.
I replaced it in 2018 with an Ariens Pro. It's a nice machine and I doubt it has 12 hours on it.
You must be slipping most NES'rs would have a man to handle the little things like snow blowing while we went to the range or just imbibed with a cigar and cocktail watching our man Friday freeze his butt off snow blowing.
Nah. I am not that guy. I am the split my own firewood, cut my own grass, clear my own driveway type of guy. I don't like having to depend on anyone else. There may come a day when I just write a check, but it will be because I just can't do it any more.

My kids are adults now. The two oldest have moved out and my daughter told me recently the two things she missed the most were sitting in front of that wood stove on a snowy day with the dog, and waking up to her car completely cleared off and warmed up. My wife said, "Get a husband!" my daughter replied with "Not many left that do that stuff".
I hope she at least picked some cheap Masters program.
It wasn't bad. But the fact is, she works 4 days a month, 10 months per year.
But it was a life goal and she felt if she did not do it, she had fallen short.
It was important to her. So, at 61 she got her masters in Nursing.
Told me last night.. I may retire next year.. LOL. I gave her a sideways look and she said " I know, why did I bother to get my Masters?"

This is how it starts....first the guns, then the motorcycle, then the garage full of muscle cars traded for a crossover SUV or minivan. Its all down hill from here.

But seriously, relationships are about compromise, I think its a little over the top to expect you to get rid of your guns FOR 18 YEARS.
Talk to her about safes and proper firearm storage, maybe talk to a friendly POPO and let them explain that proper firearm storage is safe and diligent.

One thing to consider is that maybe the wife's concerns are not complete ignorant hoplophobe crazyness. They might just be ignorance, or maybe there's stuff we're not considering.

Is he a flake? Does he have a habit of leaving the safe unlocked? Does he currently leave guns or gun stuff all over the house?

Even the best of us will, eventually, f*** up and forget to lock the safe, or leave ammo somewhere we shouldn't.

Those are legitimate concerns, not fabricated left wing propaganda.

How serious those risks are, and how those compare to the risks of cribs or cleaning products or stairs or electrical outlets is a completely valid topic of discussion.

We all have our built-in biases we get from our parents and friends and the media we consume. It's entirely possible there's some unreasonable fear that can be assuaged with knowledge.

That seems like a reasonable place to start.

But even in the case that he's not a moron and not a flake and doesn't leave stuff around by accident, there's the very real, however small, risk of lead poisoning. Lead is very, very bad for a fetus, infant, young child, etc. Bringing guns and gun stuff into the house increases that risk by more than zero. I don't mean the risk can't be mitigated, it just that it's a real, legitimate concern.

She might be a 10/10 in every other aspect, so a little compromise might be worth it. To be clear, when I say "compromise" I don't mean "give in", I mean "everyone gets something they want, just not 100% of what they want".

finally, a sane response

This is how it starts....first the guns, then the motorcycle, then the garage full of muscle cars traded for a crossover SUV or minivan. Its all down hill from here.

But seriously, relationships are about compromise, I think its a little over the top to expect you to get rid of your guns FOR 18 YEARS.
Talk to her about safes and proper firearm storage, maybe talk to a friendly POPO and let them explain that proper firearm storage is safe and diligent.
Dont forget about forcing you to get rid of your side chicks too

Goes on NES, finds all relevant parody threads, posts links, and then opines that people on NES have too much time on their hands.
I didn't post the links to those threads, someone else did because there was a reason.

And there is also a reason both of those threads got shut down. Now I am thinking this one is heading in that direction.

No one wants the problem solved we want to berate the op
Maybe, he should act like a man. He is the only one who can solve it.
If he wants to be treated like a child by his wife, then so be it. Pull up your pants and tell the wife NOPE !
Get the wife trained on firearms, they are no different then the knives in the house etc...

Maybe, he should act like a man. He is the only one who can solve it.
If he wants to be treated like a child by his wife, then so be it. Pull up your pants and tell the wife NOPE !
Get the wife trained on firearms, they are no different then the knives in the house etc...
Yeah that's what I'm saying we dont care if it gets solved

If you want to make a point with the Mrs. .... Maybe you should go through the house tonight with a trash barrel and start throwing out anything and everything that could be dangerous. Matches, knives small things that can fit in a kids mouth(like jewelery). Unplug everything and tape up the outlets. Put a guard rail around the stove. You get the picture
Hammers as well

Long story short, we just had a kid and my wife wants my firearms out of the house. It's annoying, and I know y'all are going to say that it's time to trade in my wife, but really this is the only place we don't see eye to eye, so I'm trying to respect her wishes. She's always been super supportive of me in just about every way, but she's taking the hard line when it comes to guns in the house and a kid. Basically she said look, the second he's out of high school you can bring it all back and more, but while he's here I don't feel comfortable. It is what it is, so I'm trying to come up with a solve.

I rent a locked garage space from my neighbor literally 3 houses up and could easily move my safe up there. I'm curious though, I pay for that space month to month and do not have any type of lease. Would storing them there be kosher from a legal perspective and would I be under any obligation to inform the owner? Curious to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.
OP, lots of good advice in this thread, lots of people just hating on your wife for no reason. My girl doesn't like me carrying, I do it anyway and she can't tell. However I can tell you that God forbid the day comes when you need those weapons, she will thank the Lord that you had them in the house. Good luck brother and congrats on the baby!

Yes, this is true. She might not know that. Part of the discussion might be, "change your clothes before you come back in the house" or something similar. Maybe it's "range clothes" that go directly into the wash.

If you (one) know(s) (almost) nothing about guns, it's easy to conflate "guns in the house" with "lead in the house"

I'd put $20 that this has nothing to do with lead and everything to do with histrionics/ shit testing.

Not to mention the kid getting poisoned from residual lead from shooting is nearly pure fantasy anyways, and minimal to begin with. Most kids that have lead issues get it from old shithouses, lead paint and lead paint dust ground into carpets. And probably from chinese toys.

ETA: id be more apt to agree with it as a kid hazard if the OP was shooting at a garbage indoor range 2-3x a week but that's not likely either... a guy shooting that much is not going to fold that easy. OP is probably johnny 3 box etc. Yawn.

I'd put $20 that this has nothing to do with lead and everything to do with histrionics/ shit testing.

Not to mention the kid getting poisoned from residual lead from shooting is nearly pure fantasy anyways, and minimal to begin with. Most kids that have lead issues get it from old shithouses, lead paint and lead paint dust ground into carpets. And probably from chinese toys.

ETA: id be more apt to agree with it as a kid hazard if the OP was shooting at a garbage indoor range 2-3x a week but that's not likely either... a guy shooting that much is not going to fold that easy. OP is probably johnny 3 box etc. Yawn.
It’s the people who inappropriately clean out shitty ranges that get lead poisoning.

As far as shooting in one yourself, you’d have to be there 24/7 to get sick

Sergeant Tabak is actually stolen valor faker who actually has hands so I got the analogy you were going for, but I don’t think it really applies
.... maybe shes not a real woman or a mom you dont know

And dont over think it its just someone coming in trying to offer an actual perspective and no one caring

I ate wall candy as a kid and I turned out fine.
*twitch* *twitch*

It's not a great idea to eat lead paint but it's not a great idea to eat any paint. There are millions of people still alive today who teethed on crib rails painted with lead paint. Most are pretty normal.

Back
Top Bottom