Just got told my child is not allowed in the gun store

I take Frick (5) and Frack (3) into the store with me. Usually I don't take both at once. I think it's important to get them exposed young. Never had a shop give me a hard time and wouldn't go back to one that did.

I bring my son with me to my local gun stores. In W Ma we have 3 stores in one town and another the next town over. I frequent all 4 stores often... Never been met with that type of "challenge"

They would lose my patronage.

how can a gun fall on a kid? All firearms arms typically behind the counter and in the glass case...

Something wrong with with that business plan ... Guess he's doing well ...

I bring my son with me to my local gun stores. In W Ma we have 3 stores in one town and another the next town over. I frequent all 4 stores often... Never been met with that type of "challenge"

They would lose my patronage.

how can a gun fall on a kid? All firearms arms typically behind the counter and in the glass case...

Something wrong with with that business plan ... Guess he's doing well ...

NOT defending his action as I feel it is indefensible.

However, IIRC he had one rifle rack at floor level, so if someone was playing with one of those guns, it could topple over under those circumstances.

Hi shop his choice. Mixed feelings on this. I wouldn't bring a child to a gun shop unless he was at least 13.
Hell, I used to ride my bike 5 miles each way to the next town when I was ten to hang out at the LGS and buy a brick or two ( that's when they were $5 each) of 22 LR ammo. Times have really changed over the past 40 years. It's sad really.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Oy Vey, has this gone off the rails.

If it is policy (for any reason; owner's preference, deal w/town, deal w/devil, etc.) that there is no one under the age of XX allowed in the store - it s/b posted at the door so customers are aware. (and apparently, some may boycott forever.....)

The only issue I see is that it would be good to know in advance.

As for the flames on prices; I readily acknowledge that the items that I have priced are higher than Four Seasons or MFS, but no where near those of Bass Pro or Cabelas. The items I have priced have maybe a $20 - $30 price spread - and since I wouldnt have drive for an hour each way the cost is actually less (my time *is* worth more than that).

IF there is a LGS that is selling way way below Norwood Armory, Four Season, MFS, etc. - please be sure to list that in your post. I am sure that they would love the business and I would love to shop there

There are dozens of threads on this site where people say they will support a LGS over a chain - and here we have dozens of posts where people get their panties in a twist about how kids arent allowed into a store - and then slamming people for saying what is the age cutoff they choose as individuals

Some interesting perspectives on this forum

Was it just because guns? I wouldn't be mad either if so, but I also wouldn't ever be going back. I'd also make sure the owner knew that.

This. Your business your call. My money, my call. I would politely let him know I wouldn't be coming back and that i would be putting the word out. What if the whole point of the trip was finding a size appropriate hunting vest, sling, holster, whatever, for the kid?

If it is policy (for any reason; owner's preference, deal w/town, deal w/devil, etc.) that there is no one under the age of XX allowed in the store - it s/b posted at the door so customers are aware. (and apparently, some may boycott forever.....)

As for the flames on prices; I readily acknowledge that the items that I have priced are higher than Four Seasons or MFS, but no where near those of Bass Pro or Cabelas. The items I have priced have maybe a $20 - $30 price spread - and since I wouldnt have drive for an hour each way the cost is actually less (my time *is* worth more than that).

IF there is a LGS that is selling way way below Norwood Armory, Four Season, MFS, etc. - please be sure to list that in your post. I am sure that they would love the business and I would love to shop there

There are dozens of threads on this site where people say they will support a LGS over a chain - and here we have dozens of posts where people get their panties in a twist about how kids arent allowed into a store - and then slamming people for saying what is the age cutoff they choose as individuals

His shop, his rules.

My money, my rules

This is by and far one of the stupidest things I've heard from someone "on our side."

You haven't been around long enough to know "The Rat". They are not all "on our side" trust me. I would point you to some threads, but I'm pretty sure they have all been scrubbed by now. Oh, and it isn't even close to the stupidest thing... Not by a long shot.

Hi shop his choice. Mixed feelings on this. I wouldn't bring a child to a gun shop unless he was at least 13.

His opinion his choice. Mixed feelings on this statement. If you wouldnt bring a child to a gun store until hes a teenager at what age would you recommend actually shooting?

My son is 10 yrs old and has been with me for my last 3 gun purchases. I would not have it any other way. I don't understand the 13 yr old thing at all. I respect the right of the shop owner telling me my son cant come in, and I wont get angry. just don't get angry with me when I politely tell you my next 3 purchases will be made somewhere else.

Also, everyone is saying "We need to get the next generation into shooting!". Well, guess what, that kid IS the next generation and now he has a memory of being shunned at a gun shop instead of being welcomed.

Right. It isn't like this would just be a "meh" moment for the kid. I know I used to get excited about going to the gun shop as a kid. I sure as hell would remember the disappointment when I had to leave, because of me!

I don't think it was off the rails at all...

Last edited:
I respect any store owners policy regardless if I agree or not however I would not give my business to any shop that refused entry with a child in tow. My GF's 5 year old absolutely loves guns, I bring him with me every time and have always had fun with him and allowed him to hold a rifle with my assistance, I've trained him so well that he automatically holds it properly with his fingers off the trigger and he loves aiming down the sites against a wall. Off the top of my head, Bobs in Seabrook, Salisbury, Gartman Arms, Riley's and Shooters Outpost have all been great with the 5 year old with me.

I bring my young granddaughter all the time, she loves they attention she gets.

Dean

PS: It drives her mom up the walls, it is my way of getting back at her for all the crap she put me through.[laugh]

If everyone's opinions were the same there would be no need for a word like "interesting" since nothing would be. Ever. Threads would consist of a topic post followed by x# of pages of agreement. Well. That sounds, err, interesting...

Clearly you have missed what is probably the only unifying force on this board. Agreement on the value of personal responsibility and freedom of choice. If anyone tries to tell me I can't come in to their store, essentially because I am not able to decide what is or isn't a safe environment to bring MY child into. They have lost my business. Forever. As a shop owner you are trying to earn a living. All that shit will earn you is one last look at my ass while I walk away from your store for life.

We go to Troy City every Friday for a few hours. They love my daughter there. (She's four). They play card games with her (When there's no other customers) and she LOVES it. How they interact with her is EXACTLY why we go EVERY Friday. I buy at least one thing every Friday. Even if I didn't want it just to support them.

That was not how the wording was used. It was not his kid as such, but the generic any child under 13.

These are his words: "I wouldn't bring a child to a gun shop unless he was at least 13." You may notice that he didn't say his child, but made a blanket statement.

He didn't say "You shouldn't bring" or "No one should bring" he said "I wouldn't bring" His personal opinion and his personal choice. Just like it's the business owners' choice to restrict children being in his store. We may not like it or support it, but we don't really have a say in his choices, especially if they aren't actually hurting you.

I'd probably never go back....too many other places that would love the business. But then again, since the OP's son has been to the store with him before, I would have definately asked why.

I've been bringing my kids, now 4 and 3, into gun shops since they were in strollers. No problem at any of the shops we've been to...this is how we bring the next generation up, and help them learn who dad is.

Last edited:
I'm just hypothesizing here, maybe some parent who never guides their offspring in boundaries was in the shop recently and caused a bad expieriance.

So, one "bad kid" should impact all the kids that follow the rules? See where I'm going with this?

Back
Top Bottom